HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
SephF
Patreeky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Hmm Clowe vs Horton
I take Clowe 7 days a week.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Absolutely. Problem is he is going to get a damn good payday and could be too rich for us.
I don't know if he will get a huge payday. He is still a pretty big risk at this point. Only played half of the year last season. And the 4 seasons before that his best point total was 57 points.

He is off to a good start this year but I'm not sure if anyone will break the bank on him. He has never had a breakout season, and is a potential risk with injury history.

Who knows if any of these guys make it to being a Free Agent but the list next year has

Getzlaf, and Perry as the big names

Ribeiro, Clowe, Horton, and Semin as the next tier players that are still a decent age

Iginla, and Elias will get a large number short term deal.

I think dollars wise Clowe could be the best deal for what we need/ can afford.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Worraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
The problem with all these proposals for acquiring any more "star players" is thus: try mapping out a sketch of your cap spending for a $65M cap across the roster, and assume that everyone on the top line makes $6M/year (2014/2015).

6 - 6 - 6
4 - 4 - 3
2 - 2 - 2
1 - 1 - 1
1, 1

Forward = $40M

5 - 5
2 - 3
1 - 2

D = $19M

G = $5M

Total = $64M... I'm not quite clear on how cap increases work under the new CBA, but I think I understand it won't rise as dramatically as in the past?

At this point, the Oilers have to focus 100% of their effort on getting value contracts... either vets taking a discount for a shot at a cup, or take advantage of young players on ELCs or on the upswing (like Hartikainen and MPS).

You can pretty much just completely cease any conjecture about bonafide $5M+ players.
Under the new CBA, the cap will rise with revenues similarly to the way it did under the old CBA.

I expect that the cap will be substantially higher than $64 million when RNH and Yakupov's new contracts hit the books.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
I don't know if he will get a huge payday. He is still a pretty big risk at this point. Only played half of the year last season. And the 4 seasons before that his best point total was 57 points.

He is off to a good start this year but I'm not sure if anyone will break the bank on him. He has never had a breakout season, and is a potential risk with injury history.

Who knows if any of these guys make it to being a Free Agent but the list next year has

Getzlaf, and Perry as the big names

Ribeiro, Clowe, Horton, and Semin as the next tier players that are still a decent age

Iginla, and Elias will get a large number short term deal.

I think dollars wise Clowe could be the best deal for what we need/ can afford.
Granted Brian Burke is around, Tim Connolly did quite well as a UFA. Only 2 years, but still 5mil.

As for your list I think if all are free agents you make offers to all except Semin and Riberio. What does it hurt? I think you can talk to players now the day before or something, so who knows. Might find out that a couple guys might be interested in coming here. Is it going to hurt if Horton and Clowe want to come here?

Old
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
jsho

Quote:
Granted Brian Burke is around, Tim Connolly did quite well as a UFA. Only 2 years, but still 5mil.

As for your list I think if all are free agents you make offers to all except Semin and Riberio. What does it hurt? I think you can talk to players now the day before or something, so who knows. Might find out that a couple guys might be interested in coming here. Is it going to hurt if Horton and Clowe want to come here?
True. I think with the new CBA it might not as many huge UFA deals the first year around. I think after last lockout the only big deals were Chara, and possibly Savard? I could be wrong though.

I don't think any of those guys would hurt, but if any of those guys come in there has to be a subtraction.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
True. I think with the new CBA it might not as many huge UFA deals the first year around. I think after last lockout the only big deals were Chara, and possibly Savard? I could be wrong though.

I don't think any of those guys would hurt, but if any of those guys come in there has to be a subtraction.
Seeing what Lupul and Zajac got makes me really wonder what GMs/owners learned

Old
01-29-2013, 02:22 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd go hard after any of Getzlaf, Perry or Clowe.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Under the new CBA, the cap will rise with revenues similarly to the way it did under the old CBA.

I expect that the cap will be substantially higher than $64 million when RNH and Yakupov's new contracts hit the books.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7029575/

You must be one hell of an optimist. Or, perhaps just didn't actually give it much thought?

Old
01-29-2013, 03:41 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
Quote:
"Bettman will fix it."

Old
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Yep. Those were 2 pretty massive contracts for guys that aren't stars

Old
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Yep. Those were 2 pretty massive contracts for guys that aren't stars
I still think when Lupul turns out to be a bust that this most recent injury will be the reason why, not you know all those years of being a floater.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
I still think when Lupul turns out to be a bust that this most recent injury will be the reason why, not you know all those years of being a floater.
I think that was the concern a lot of people had when he signed. Guy has talent, but his injuries are catching up to him.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Hmm Clowe vs Horton
vs Clarkson vs Morrow vs Iginla. No shortage of beef this summer.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:01 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

No to Morrow.

Qualifed no to Iginla, I think he's had a lot of hard miles on his body and it's catching up with him.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

I may get lynched on this board for suggesting this, but what about bringing back Penner to add some size to the offense? Big top-6 forwards like Clowe, Clarkson, Horton, etc... are going to cost a fortune mid-season should the Oilers want to trade for them. It would be interesting to see what Penner could do as the LW on line 2 playing with Gagner and Yakupov.

It has numerous reasons why it may be a low risk move that has a chance to work. Penner has been in the pressbox in LA to start the season because a healthy Gagne is replacing him on the line with Carter and Richards. Yakupov can move back to his preferred RW. Penner enjoyed his time in Edmonton and may jump at the chance to get regular playing time. Finally, Penner is only signed for the remainder of this season before becoming an UFA so should he suck the Oilers can part ways with him this summer. If the cost is low enough, why not? Moreover, if it pays off, the Oilers could use Hemsky on the 3rd line or parlay him into a serviceable defenseman.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7029575/

You must be one hell of an optimist. Or, perhaps just didn't actually give it much thought?
It is not clear how much the cap will rise. In the recent past 5% was actually very much on the conservative side. While I think it was expected that the lockout would hit revenue hard so far the league has bounced back much more than most predicted.

One wild card is the new national TV contract that will happen once CBC's deal expires at the end of 2013-2014. Given current ratings and the size of the US deal it is easy to believe that there could be a very large increase in TV dollars. This could easily add $1.5M or more to the cap by itself.

After Thursday we may no more about the future of the Yote's. But if the team did end up in Quebec for example, that would likely add another $500K-700K

A cap of $66M+ in 2014-2015 would not be that much of a surprise if the Canadian dollar holds. (every penny the $CDN falls vs the $US costs the cap about $150K). Your numbers would give a cushion of about $2M plus Yakupov's bonus cushion. I think you could easily shave of another $2M from your bottom 6 forwards, and the pb guys. All in that would give you $3M or so more to upgrade your projections with a decent cushion for injuries.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I may get lynched on this board for suggesting this, but what about bringing back Penner to add some size to the offense? Big top-6 forwards like Clowe, Clarkson, Horton, etc... are going to cost a fortune mid-season should the Oilers want to trade for them. It would be interesting to see what Penner could do as the LW on line 2 playing with Gagner and Yakupov.

It has numerous reasons why it may be a low risk move that has a chance to work. Penner has been in the pressbox in LA to start the season because a healthy Gagne is replacing him on the line with Carter and Richards. Yakupov can move back to his preferred RW. Penner enjoyed his time in Edmonton and may jump at the chance to get regular playing time. Finally, Penner is only signed for the remainder of this season before becoming an UFA so should he suck the Oilers can part ways with him this summer. If the cost is low enough, why not? Moreover, if it pays off, the Oilers could use Hemsky on the 3rd line or parlay him into a serviceable defenseman.
If we could send Smyth back I'd do it...

Old
01-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Big no to Penner.

The Oilers need size, but they also need physical play and tenacity around the puck, Penner brings neither of those things.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
488McFitter

delete

Last edited by 488McFitter: 01-29-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I think this is the misconception that owners need to "learn a lesson".

1 GM has to take care of his own franchise, is Lamorillo supposed to trade away Zajac because he doesn't like his contract demands? Of course not, with losing Parise, they are desperate and need to retain all the talent they can.

That's why the players will "win" every CBA in the end, because a GM first and foremost once the season starts has to look after his own hen house, not the "good of the game".

Looking after the "good of the game" doesn't do you much good when you're being fired for under performing. It's always going to be a system weighted towards players getting paid a lot.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Big no to Penner.

The Oilers need size, but they also need physical play and tenacity around the puck, Penner brings neither of those things.
I agree with you to a point, but consider how hard it is to obtain that sort of talent.

Physical play, tenacity, and the ability to pot goals(in addition to puck protection etc etc.) is pretty hard to find. Most teams when they do find it, don't readily trade it or let it go to free agency.

Penner should atleast be considered due to him ticking a few boxes of what we want in the top-6.

01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 95
Penner has been a healthy scratch this year already--and when he played he sucked (according to king fans)

The fact Penner has two cup rings cracks me up.

PEnner is a lw and the oilers have enough wingers who are screwing the pooch already.

01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Lord J T Shark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I agree with you to a point, but consider how hard it is to obtain that sort of talent.

Physical play, tenacity, and the ability to pot goals(in addition to puck protection etc etc.) is pretty hard to find. Most teams when they do find it, don't readily trade it or let it go to free agency.

Penner should atleast be considered due to him ticking a few boxes of what we want in the top-6.
boxes checked

Healthy scratch--check
Unmotivated --check
Goes missing for games on end--Check

on the left side oilers have Hall, Hartikeinen, Smyth, MPS, and take your pick of the guys on the 4th line who plays lw-- Do you trade Smyth for Penner? Penner, that means pushing Hartikenen to the 3rd line. Hartineken is the big body the oilers need

Old
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

I'm fine with someone who hits some of the team's needs, but not someone who struggles to self motivate and play with any kind of intensity. As a team, the oilers already have enough problems getting up for games and sustaining an even effort level.

Much rather find someone who gets a lot out of a limited talent base, than bring back someone who gets very little out of what they have.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think this is the misconception that owners need to "learn a lesson".

1 GM has to take care of his own franchise, is Lamorillo supposed to trade away Zajac because he doesn't like his contract demands? Of course not, with losing Parise, they are desperate and need to retain all the talent they can.

That's why the players will "win" every CBA in the end, because a GM first and foremost once the season starts has to look after his own hen house, not the "good of the game".

Looking after the "good of the game" doesn't do you much good when you're being fired for under performing. It's always going to be a system weighted towards players getting paid a lot.
Good point but maybe Lou should have signed his own budding superstar in Parise rather than chase after the expensive Kovalchuk. And then perhaps the Zajac signing doesn't happen or Zajac signs for less. The NJD are on a downward trend anyways, I expect them to be picking up some high end draft help in the near future.

Closed Thread