HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Kovulchuck signing in NJ has nothing to do with Parise not signing in NJ, he wanted to go to MIN and that is all that it is. I can see Clarkson signing in NJ also, would love to have him in EDM but won't happen.

Penner not interested in him at all, yes he is big but does not play big, this was his last big contract.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
rockinghockey

When it comes to Clowe or Horton I would rather have Clowe but he will resign in SJ.

This summer there are not going to be too many teams that will be hurting with the cap, it is the following year when a lot of teams have players that have multiple players with ELC that are expiring.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I agree with you to a point, but consider how hard it is to obtain that sort of talent.

Physical play, tenacity, and the ability to pot goals(in addition to puck protection etc etc.) is pretty hard to find. Most teams when they do find it, don't readily trade it or let it go to free agency.

Penner should atleast be considered due to him ticking a few boxes of what we want in the top-6.
I agree. Imo, you talk to the guys who are better fits and if you're not going to land one of them, you go after Penner. He's a decent fit, he likes it here, and he's probably not resigning in LA given his current role

Old
01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Penner not interested in him at all, yes he is big but does not play big, this was his last big contract.
I disagree that he doesn't play big, but I agree his biggest contracts are behind him, and that's exactly why we should go after him. He's hard to push around, and he's proven he can do well here. We don't need him to score 30+ again, but he can probably be a relatively cheap 20-20 guy who can round out our top 6

Old
01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Ragss

Penner in his 66 point season is a Penner we'll never see again. He couldn't even get back to that level during the King's cup run.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Penner in his 66 point season is a Penner we'll never see again. He couldn't even get back to that level during the King's cup run.
To be fair the guy went through a divorce last year which could throw off any players game. On top of that I dont think its a coincidence that Penner ended up in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to go to LA to be with his new wife back when the Oilers traded him. The Guy needs to get out of LA and get his life back on track IMO.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I was previously in the get back Penner camp last year when he was struggling, this year I would walk away from him. Penner is always going to be a player with motivation issues who won't give you everything he has on even half of the games in a season. With our top 6 being reasonably solid and Penner not really giving the kind of elements (e.g. penalty kill & checking) or work ethic we would want in a bottom 6 role we would be better off looking elsewhere to fill our holes, also Penner is not a good mentor for the kids.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I disagree that he doesn't play big, but I agree his biggest contracts are behind him, and that's exactly why we should go after him. He's hard to push around, and he's proven he can do well here. We don't need him to score 30+ again, but he can probably be a relatively cheap 20-20 guy who can round out our top 6
I'd take Penner back for $3-4m a season. He played big each time he won the Cup. He played big for us too at times, he won games for us when the team was in shambles. He just needs to be on the 2nd or 3rd line, he's not a first line player. I also think he would respond well to a coach like Krueger.

Penner is also exactly what we need right now. We need big veteran forwards who can score. I'd prefer Clowe, but I doubt we get either player unfortunately.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Lets move forwards, not backwards.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:14 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
But that's the thing...we have to many smallish forwards and not enough backwards.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:19 PM
Harley

Hemsky straight up to Philly for Voracek. Philly cant score right now, maybe they pull the trigger to shake things up. Our enigmatic winger for their enigmatic winger.

Hemsky to Washington for Troy Brouwer. Another team that needs a shake up. Brouwer makes too much but he could add some beef up front and has scored a bit in the past.

Hemsky to the Panthers for Weiss. Seeing a trend here? lol Maybe the Panthers bite on an extra year of Hemsky under contract to move Weiss who they may not be able to re-sign.

Last edited by s7ark: 01-30-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: No need for 3 consecutive posts for this.
Old
01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Hemsky to the Panthers for Weiss. Seeing a trend here? lol Maybe the Panthers bite on an extra year of Hemsky under contract to move Weiss who they may not be able to re-sign.
Weiss is Gagner.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Needles

Bryan Bickell for ?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471254

6 games, 3 points and 15 hits. 6'4" & 230 lbs. Scored 17 goals two years ago. Much cheaper than Clowe. See if he can play with Gagner. If he can't, he's still useful in the bottom six.

Eberle - RNH - Hall
Hemsky - Gagner - Bickell
Smyth/Jones - Horcoff - Yak
Hartikainen - Belanger -PRV

Old
01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Hemsky straight up to Philly for Voracek. Philly cant score right now, maybe they pull the trigger to shake things up. Our enigmatic winger for their enigmatic winger.
Quote:
Hemsky to Washington for Troy Brouwer. Another team that needs a shake up. Brouwer makes too much but he could add some beef up front and has scored a bit in the past.
Quote:
Trying to get your post count up? If you ask Philly fans for Voracek they would just laugh at you.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
jsho

delete

Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
If anyone was interested in Hemsky, he would be gone already.

He's all ours.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Bryan Bickell for ?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471254

6 games, 3 points and 15 hits. 6'4" & 230 lbs. Scored 17 goals two years ago. Much cheaper than Clowe. See if he can play with Gagner. If he can't, he's still useful in the bottom six.

Eberle - RNH - Hall
Hemsky - Gagner - Bickell
Smyth/Jones - Horcoff - Yak
Hartikainen - Belanger -PRV
you say Bickell for ??? but yet have all the players in the roster--Yak to the 3rd line? If we have decided PRV and hartikenen are 4th liners it is time to trade em

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If anyone was interested in Hemsky, he would be gone already.

He's all ours.
I highly doubt that theres zero interest. The only interest is probably only for a draft pick so its not really worth getting rid of him at this point this early in the year without someone ready to be a 2nd line player.

Besides Tambo sees Hemsky as an elite level nhl player that we are so happy to have as part of the organization during this rebuilding process.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Qrispy

Hemsky is a puck possession type of player with game-breaking ability. He's a rare talent but, because of his injuries, he gets underrated across the league.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
I highly doubt that theres zero interest. The only interest is probably only for a draft pick so its not really worth getting rid of him at this point this early in the year without someone ready to be a 2nd line player.

Besides Tambo sees Hemsky as an elite level nhl player that we are so happy to have as part of the organization during this rebuilding process.
Why would there be?

You think gm's around the league are coveting Ales Hemsky? Three or four years ago maybe, but not now. Why else would we sign him to such a short term? The only reason I can think of would be they are hoping he rehabilitates his image/value around the league so they can build some interest and maybe get something for him.

Sadly we are likely to see a herd of unicorns prancing around Rexall before that happens.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
ales83fan

Quote:

Wow. I only hope that our GM is not like some of the people on this board.

Your hate for Hemsky has blinded you. He is not the problem with this team. He is not a bargain, at 5 M, but he does what a number of players in his mold do. Think Grabovski or a poor man's Hossa or Havlat. Maybe a Plekanec.

We need secondary scoring. He provides it. The guys you are trading him for are all worse than he is, or at least equivalent to what we already have in the organization.

I, for one, am still on the Hemsky bandwagon. With that being said, there is nothing he can do to convince some of the fans in Edmonton that he is good. The hate for him borders on irrational.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
ales83fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why would there be?

You think gm's around the league are coveting Ales Hemsky? Three or four years ago maybe, but not now. Why else would we sign him to such a short term? The only reason I can think of would be they are hoping he rehabilitates his image/value around the league so they can build some interest and maybe get something for him.

Sadly we are likely to see a herd of unicorns prancing around Rexall before that happens.
I do not have the time at the moment to discuss this at length, but I do disagree with you.

I find you to be generally reasonable. Still, I find that our opinions on Hemsky are very different.

Once I have more time, I would love to do some statistical analysis on Hemsky's worth.

I suspect the answer is somewhere in between our opinions, I just don't know where exactly.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
...upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I'm sure Hemsky has value. Truth be told, the most value he'll hold is to the Blue Jackets imo.

Howson has long said to be a big fan of Hemsky. If we do move him, I'd bet money it's to there.

01-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
you say Bickell for ??? but yet have all the players in the roster--Yak to the 3rd line?
Nice to see that you didn't miss the point... I thought Edmonton needs to get some size around Gagner if you cant get a bigger 2C. Obviously Bryan Bickell isn't worth Hemsky/Yak, so one of the other has to play in the 3rd line. And why not spread the wealth a little bit?

I had all the players in the roster because I don't know what he is worth. Maybe a 3rd/4th liner + pick? Maybe a pick + prospect? But that wasn't the point! The point was: could Bickell be a good fit in Edmonton. A poor man's Lucic perhaps?

Closed Thread