HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Marleau? Havlat?
Yeah Marleau was but he's become more of a power forward than the speedster he once was - and Havlat has that talent, but he's got the injury history and hasn't been dominating much since he's come over.

Kinda like how STL will be better with a scorer like Tarasenko, the Sharks need someone who can break out when things get tight in the playoffs.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Lucic or Horton.... Thats what the Oilers need. All this other pavelski or X small forward is garbage.

I'd trade Hall straight up for Lucic. Would Boston, doubtful.. call me crazy.
You're crazy, as much as I like Lucic.

I've wanted Horton here for years, and would love to have him here, but we need to move Hemsky IMO for a centre or more ideally, a LW, so Yakupov can play RW.

Eberle, Hemsky, Yakupov and Paajarvi are all RW'ers, playing them on the left makes them less effective.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Quokka

What about reacquiring Penner? He is a LW. He couldn't cost much, maybe a pick or one of Potter/Whitney/Peckham. Than you could look at moving Hemsky for a D to bump Potter or Whitney out of the lineup.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:08 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
What about reacquiring Penner? He is a LW. He couldn't cost much, maybe a pick or one of Potter/Whitney/Peckham. Than you could look at moving Hemsky for a D to bump Potter or Whitney out of the lineup.
im probably the wrong guy to ask but i love penner and think he would compliment our young players very well. just get ready for the hes fat pancakes hes lazy despite scoring 27 goals etc etc

hes also won 2 more stanley cups than our whole dressing room added together,.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yeah Marleau was but he's become more of a power forward than the speedster he once was - and Havlat has that talent, but he's got the injury history and hasn't been dominating much since he's come over.

Kinda like how STL will be better with a scorer like Tarasenko, the Sharks need someone who can break out when things get tight in the playoffs.
Couture and Pavelski, two guys on the Sharks who cued on defensive turnovers by the Oilers last evening and buried the resulting chance with nice shots. I would include Marleau as well. All three of those guys can score 30 goals every season.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
im probably the wrong guy to ask but i love penner and think he would compliment our young players very well. just get ready for the hes fat pancakes hes lazy despite scoring 27 goals etc etc

So has Colin Fraser. Ben Eager also has a ring.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:

Khabi has a cup to his name

Old
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
So has Colin Fraser. Ben Eager also has a ring.
are you comparing fraser to penner?

Old
02-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
are you comparing fraser to penner?
He's trying to illustrate a point to you. Having a ring doesn't prove you're a great player.

Clearly it isn't working.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
People sure are going to be sad when they realize those forwards won't have what it takes to win the cup.
If those forwards don't have what it takes, this franchise is ****** anyway.

Need complimentary players in addition to our core, not instead of and they don't necessarily have to be expensive ones.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
He's trying to illustrate a point to you. Having a ring doesn't prove you're a great player.

Clearly it isn't working.
the cup thing was a afterthought of what i already posted, if i said we should pick up penner solely because he haas won 2 cups then i would get the point.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
the cup thing was a afterthought of what i already posted, if i said we should pick up penner solely because he haas won 2 cups then i would get the point.
The guy is far removed from a 27 goal season.
We were all on his case during his end time in EDM.. He has scored 9 friggin goals as a LA King.. 2 in 10-11 and 7 lasy year.. This year he has been a healthy scratch on multiple occasions.. You dont play him ahead of Hartikainen just because he has 2 rings.

The guy has had a short career but has made more money than most others with the same skillset\production.. 2 great seasons and the guy has become a 20 million dollar man.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Nobody said anything about trading the core. You add what you need to win. After you win you deal with with the issues as best you can.

If you add a few pieces in the off season you can have a 2 year run, maybe even 3. Then if a guy like Yakupov or Petry or Gagner starts asking for 5,6,7 million you decide if that player is worth keeping or you trade that player for another need. Such as the Staal for Sutter or Goligoski for Neal trades.
A few points.
In a previous post you advocated going for Corey Perry in FA, Perry is gonna cost you 7m if you are lucky, but more likely more as you are limited to 7 years and no garbage years. Make a move like that and no matter how you dress it up, you can't keep the big 5 together so you move one out, sure it's not a direct trade but it might as well be.
It's pretty well recognized that we need to add size to the top 6, but in my opinion you replace Hemsky then Gagner in that order.
Petry imo only gets moved in an obvious upgrade situation.
Yakupov will be asking for 6m and imo if he lives up to his potential you pay him, he is worth it.
As far as the Pittsburgh trades go, Staal for Sutter is a downgrade but they could not offer him the top 6 minutes he wanted so their hand was forced, certainly not a move to address a need.
Goligoski(#61 overall) was a complimentary player and a trade for Neal makes the team obviously better without risking their core.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Penner? We might as well bring in Brad Isbister.

The sun has set on the, 'Penner as an impact forward' thing. Its over.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Beendair Donedat

Is Peckham healthy? How much would you want for him?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Is Peckham healthy? How much would you want for him?
a 3rd or 4th round pick

Old
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Penner? We might as well bring in Brad Isbister.

The sun has set on the, 'Penner as an impact forward' thing. Its over.
We don't need him to be an impact player. He'd be the 6th best forward in our top 6, and by a wide margin. We need him to play big and bury some of the chance the others create for him. If he can do

this

and this

from time to time, we've got a great asset.

The other option imo is of course Horton, who I've also been pushing for a while

Old
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
I'd give up Teubert for Penner .... straight across.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:17 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
a 3rd or 4th round pick
Hell no. We're not having another Greene incident. IMO, you either trade him for a 2nd or better, or you keep him for a year or two as a 6/7 and see if he can get back on track. Fistric-Peckham would be the hardest to play against bottom pairing in the league

Old
stoff

What would people think of a umberger for hemsky swap??? I know hemsky only has 1 year left so we might need to add a pick but this seems to address both teams needs.

Edmonton gets a big, gritty, 2 way left winger.

Columbus gets a highly skilled offensive game changer. They are already pretty gritty with Amnisimov, dubinsky, foligno, etc. and could use some more skill.

I know umberger has a ntc but he probably waive it for a chance to be on a good team.

Old
rockinghockey

You have not watched the last two years of Penner obviously. He is a huge guy but does not hit and only shows up when he wants to. No thanks.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
I'd give up Teubert for Penner .... straight across.
Why waste an asset? Just sign him as a free agent. He's probably not very happy in LA

Old
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Hell no. We're not having another Greene incident. IMO, you either trade him for a 2nd or better, or you keep him for a year or two as a 6/7 and see if he can get back on track. Fistric-Peckham would be the hardest to play against bottom pairing in the league
We need to get rid of a dman anyway, we can't carry 8 all year. We just acquired a tough, physical 6/7 dman whith less question marks about conditioning and commitment and it cost us a 3rd round pick. Value wise it is exactly what you would get.

I understand wanting to hold on to him and see what happens but there is no way someone gives up a second for him.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:20 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
You have not watched the last two years of Penner obviously. He is a huge guy but does not hit and only shows up when he wants to. No thanks.
He's always been a guy with motivation issues. He needs the right situation, with the right people to light a fire under his ass. LA isn't a good fit for him

Old
02-01-2013, 02:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
We need to get rid of a dman anyway, we can't carry 8 all year. We just acquired a tough, physical 6/7 dman whith less question marks about conditioning and commitment and it cost us a 3rd round pick. Value wise it is exactly what you would get.

I understand wanting to hold on to him and see what happens but there is no way someone gives up a second for him.
That's my point though. Why take a crappy mid round pick for him? Trade Potter. Hell, trade Whitney. You keep Peckham for a while unless you get wowed

Closed Thread