HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was it time for Lappy to go?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2005, 03:09 PM
  #1
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Was it time for Lappy to go?

I for one am a huge Lappy fan, but I was looking at his stats and found something that actually shocked me. For the first time ever, Lappy played more games then he had penalty minutes.
GP PIM
2000-01 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 79 141
2001-02 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 81 125
2002-03 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 73 122
2003-04 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 62 58

To me, a guy like Lappy must drop the gloves in order to be effective.

Agree, disagree, ignore, whatever, Im bored.

Matt13 is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
  #2
Tbagger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bakersfield
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
I for one am a huge Lappy fan, but I was looking at his stats and found something that actually shocked me. For the first time ever, Lappy played more games then he had penalty minutes.
GP PIM
2000-01 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 79 141
2001-02 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 81 125
2002-03 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 73 122
2003-04 Los-Angeles Kings NHL 62 58

To me, a guy like Lappy must drop the gloves in order to be effective.

Agree, disagree, ignore, whatever, Im bored.
Ignore

Tbagger is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 03:25 PM
  #3
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbagger
Ignore


Tbagger - where you been?

You replied, so you didnt really ignore

Matt13 is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 03:29 PM
  #4
Old Hickory
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Lappy is on the decline. It wasn't time for him to go, but the Av's gave him too many years for us to match.

 
Old
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
  #5
Tbagger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bakersfield
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13
Tbagger - where you been?

You replied, so you didnt really ignore
Gave up KX for Lent. 40 days is a long frigging time.

Tbagger is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
  #6
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
you are really sacraficing. God must be proud.

Matt13 is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
  #7
Venom_17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
We could miss Lappy. It's hard to say. A guy like Kostopolous could replace him.

I think we have enough plugs on this team like Avery, Cowan, Kosto, Belanger, Klatt, and Pirnes that we don't need Lappy again.

Venom_17 is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 04:39 PM
  #8
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,307
vCash: 500
It's too bad that we couldn't get a mid\late round pick or prospect for him during last years trade deadline. Unless they thought they would be able to resign him. He's a good guy, but replaceable imo.

Fat Elvis is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 06:00 PM
  #9
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Sure he was a fan favorite and for years everyone loved him, but the guy is about one concussion away from Deadmarsh land. The Av's payed him way too much, and plus Avery, Cowan, and TK all replace him. It was sad to see him go, but it's also exciting to be able to see another guy step up and grab that role for our team.

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
  #10
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Lappy is on the decline. It wasn't time for him to go, but the Av's gave him too many years for us to match.
What he said.

His concussions had also become a problem-meaning that he was going to have to curtail his fighting more and curb his hard hitting style. I doubt he would have, and that means he probably would have had to retire before his contract was up.

Edit: Whoops I see Reaper said it already.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline  
Old
03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
  #11
LuckyLUC20
Registered User
 
LuckyLUC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in So-Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
What he said.

His concussions had also become a problem-meaning that he was going to have to curtail his fighting more and curb his hard hitting style. I doubt he would have, and that means he probably would have had to retire before his contract was up.

Edit: Whoops I see Reaper said it already.
That's what you get for not reading!

Seriously... I agree with Reaper. I'll still miss Lappy though. Loved his heart and passion.

LuckyLUC20 is offline  
Old
03-03-2005, 12:22 AM
  #12
AnThGrt
Registered User
 
AnThGrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newport Beach
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,707
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I want him back i dont care if he is in the decline you like a player for how he plays what he does not his stats.... Lappy was awesome and Cowan isn't half as cool Avery is sweet and Kostopulous i'm not to sure.....

AnThGrt is offline  
Old
03-03-2005, 04:58 AM
  #13
Freddie79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
re:

i will miss Lappy but Taylor did the right thing.
Lappy doesnt have much left in the tank and we have many similar but younger players.
Lappy cant play like he used to and without the hitting he is just borderline NHL material.
now id like Taylor to acquire a legitimate tough guy or give Flinn a permanent roster spot in LA

Freddie79 is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 01:29 AM
  #14
Mxpunk
Registered User
 
Mxpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: RPV, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 500
I agree with Freddie79. Lappy was a great leader with a ton of heart. However, he was getting old and Colorado gave him more than I'm willing to pay for a player of his calibre, especially when we have younger guys, like Avery and probably Eric Neilson soon, to fill in...I will still miss Lappy's heart on the team!

Mxpunk is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 04:41 AM
  #15
TwzKing
Registered User
 
TwzKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I want him back i dont care if he is in the decline you like a player for how he plays what he does not his stats.... Lappy was awesome and Cowan isn't half as cool Avery is sweet and Kostopulous i'm not to sure.....
You cant build a team on guys who you think are nice..... if his games is on the decline then you have to move on. Cowan only played "X" amount of games....... TK looks like a great pick up and.....avery....... well at least he's play for us..... well he has our jersey on.

TwzKing is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM
  #16
Dooney
Love me some Carter!
 
Dooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sunny So Cal.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,002
vCash: 500
In your stats Matt, was Lappy still getting the same amount of ice time? I think that might alter the numbers just a bit. So, put me down as a disagree. He still brought something to the team that it needed and that was a sense on maturity and leadership for the kids. Besides some of his facial expressions were priceless.
I'll miss him.

Dooney is offline  
Old
03-04-2005, 01:16 PM
  #17
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney & Bourke
In your stats Matt, was Lappy still getting the same amount of ice time? I think that might alter the numbers just a bit. So, put me down as a disagree. He still brought something to the team that it needed and that was a sense on maturity and leadership for the kids. Besides some of his facial expressions were priceless.
I'll miss him.
Lappy pretty much always skated a 3rd line roll as far back as I can remember. The last couple of season he may have even seen more ice time when he wasnt injured since the team was so depleted.

Matt13 is offline  
Old
03-07-2005, 07:05 AM
  #18
Freddie79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nhl/players/playerpage/19469

According to CBS his total icetime was a little lower than usually,but
played in only 59 games. He did averaged over 16 minutes per game, which is a lot more than his career average of under 14 mins.
So his PIM / game should be higher than in past seasons.
But it didnt, so I think it as an indicator that he wasnt able to play as rugged as he used to be.
Therefor it looks to me as if it was the right time to part ways.

Freddie79 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.