HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is PK's sense of entitlement warranted?

View Poll Results: Do you agree with PK's sense of worth for himself?
Yes 55 46.22%
No 64 53.78%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
SNES

vCash: 500
Is PK's sense of entitlement warranted?

Do you agree or disagree with PK's position? He thinks fairly highly of himself and I believe doesn't give enough credit to the organization that gave him those opportunities?

SNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:58 AM
SNES

Meant to include story.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

Old
01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

Where have you gotten this information from? Never read anything about him saying these things.

"I hope (a trade) is not the case. I want to play for the Canadiens. I want to help the team. With the young players we have in the organization right now, we still have a great opportunity to win. But for my style of game and for what I do for the team, the amount of minutes I play and for what I bring to the table, I have to be fairly compensated."

Don't see a problem here.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
sharks9

We don't know exactly what he's asking for so it's tough to know.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
nki

How much is he asking for, how much are the Canadiens offering? Hard to say anything without knowing this.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think there is a "sense of entitlement" issue. Subban is easily worth $5M per season right now IMHO. The Habs are clearly lowballing him. A lot of young players are so eager to play and let themselves be steamrolled by management seemingly holding all the cards. But Subban is smart, has just gone through a big eye-opener on the business side of things with the lockout, and he's got a big-time high roller agency representing him who have all kinds of motivation to use Subban as a benchmark.

Everything I read says neither side is going to blink. He's doing it right, IMHO. Habs are screwing themselves and him and the fans.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Well its not quite the same playing the habs without him. If there were definite numbers from each side it would help me decide how entitled he thinks he is. Without them(numbers), i can't say one way or the other.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
SNES

Most players would take the bridge contract and try and play consistently till next contract, why is PK'S situation any different? Unless your putting him in the upper elite echelon?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNES View Post
Most players would take the bridge contract and try and play consistently till next contract, why is PK'S situation any different? Unless your putting him in the upper elite echelon?
Would most players take the bridge contract? I don't know. What is the sample here? Some teams came right out and offered their young post-ELC players nice long-term deals... Hall, Hedman, Carlson, Fowler, Eberle, Seguin, Myers, Doughty, etc, etc, etc... I'm thinking I'd be able to come up with a pretty long list here?

Recently, a couple players (MDZ and Kulikov) signed rather hasty bridge deals. And yeah, nice on them that they are eager to come back in this short season and build toward a future big deal. But I don't think it's incumbent on a player to accept this, anymore than most teams are actually pushing hard for this.

PK is worth $5M per IMHO. Right now. Habs are missing a big opportunity to lock him up at that number and buy UFA years down the road. It's the Habs who are in the wrong here IMHO, not Subban.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Well its not quite the same playing the habs without him. If there were definite numbers from each side it would help me decide how entitled he thinks he is. Without them(numbers), i can't say one way or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
How much is he asking for, how much are the Canadiens offering? Hard to say anything without knowing this.
the numbers i have heard, but i think they have been hearsay numbers from here, the canadiens offered something like a 2 year 2.5 a year contract, and pk wants longer at 5 million a year.

mckensie keeps saying they are 2-3 million apart

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNES View Post
1 PK has said that he would take a short term deal at fair Price, 3.5M to 4.5M, which would be fair for what he has done.

2 Signing players has a lot to do what other players in similar positions sign for. Fowler with the Ducks, got a 5 year deal after his ELC, Carlson got a 6 year deal after his ELC, Meyers got a long term deal after his ELC, and so many other guys that are getting long term deals after their ELC, Skinner, Kane, Hall etc.

Those are key players on their team, and Subban vaule to the Habs has been just as much as many of those guys. So his camp does have a point in wanting long term. But the Habs also have the right to only offer 2 year deal, but they should up the offer because in terms of dollars to 4 to 4.5 to atleast met in the middle.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:22 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
the numbers i have heard, but i think they have been hearsay numbers from here, the canadiens offered something like a 2 year 2.5 a year contract, and pk wants longer at 5 million a year.

If those are accurate i'll vote yes. He's closer to a 5 than a 2.5. It doesn't matter if he's only played two seasons, he's an impact player.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post

Yeah I keep hearing this on Ron Fournier's show (old ref doing a night sports show out of MTL) that P.K. wants a 5 year deal at 5 million or so and that Bergevin's team philisophy dictates a "bridge deal" at a lot less. Not looking like this will be resolved anytime soon, though if the Canadiens keep struggling you'd think it would come to a boil.

Melnyks Mirage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
FireEverybody*

Two to three million apart is definitely Habs trying to lowball him, unless PK is asking for an absurd amount of money.

Pay or trade him.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

No. He isn't elite offensively yet and defense leaves much to be desired. Stupid play also doesn't help. Don't know what he is asking for, but serious doubt he is anywhere close to worth as much as he is asking.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Here's Subban's take:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...837/story.html

Old
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
HavlatMach9

Market dictates one value, (which Subban wants, as if he's like a UFA)
Montreal wants to pay him what is actually sensible (not dumping bunch of money because others do).

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Why doesn't he just sign an offer sheet if he thinks he's worth "x" value?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

He's no more entitled than people who turn down job offers because they can do better.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Luigi Lemieux

If the habs are in fact only offering him 2-2.5 mill that's a lowball offer and i think his entitlement is warranted. I think he's got #1 dman potential but not quite there yet, so i'd say 4-5 mill a year is pretty fair.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
MastuhNinks

The Habs are crazy if they don't offer him a long-term contract worth ~5 mil per. I don't understand how he could possibly not be a part of their long term plans anyways.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Why doesn't he just sign an offer sheet if he thinks he's worth "x" value?

Because he can't sign a non existing contract? Other teams gotta offer him a contract for him to sign and it seems like no one has made an offer sheet.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
If the habs are in fact only offering him 2-2.5 mill that's a lowball offer and i think his entitlement is warranted. I think he's got #1 dman potential but not quite there yet, so i'd say 4-5 mill a year is pretty fair.
I'd even go as far as saying that it's an insulting offer. Is he worth so little to the organization? I hope some team offer sheets him.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:31 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

If they are infact 3 million apart, then it`s actually possible neither side is well rooted in reality.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Doesn't every athlete have a sense of entitlement to an extent?