HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 12:22 AM
  #251
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,841
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Ok, listened to the interview and sounds like he might've worked 1-on-1 with some sort of an MMA coach and it was more about the fighting. Doesn't sound like it was an actual camp which are usually more focused on workouts.

(Hilarious how much calmer MG is when it's just BMac interviewing him. Seems to dislike Rintoul, haha.)
bmac is the only person on that station that doesn't load questions (that arent softballs)

Verviticus is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:23 AM
  #252
LiquidSnake*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
They drafted the best players. How many teams draft by position ?
Absolutely. ANd it was far more telling that they leaned towards players with size vs the smurfs that are currently in their system.

And usually if you have 2 high picks, you tend not to draft the same position. Especially considering that BPA usually is ideal if it's inside the top 10. Outside of the top 10, everyone has their own list of who they believe is the best player available.

It's pretty clear that Buffalo feels they are weak down the middle and took advantage of that by taking 2 large centerman because they dont see Hodgson as their #1 Center going forward.

I bet he's traded in 2-3 years to another team because his lack of speed and his non existent defensive play coupled with his sense of entitlement attitude.

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:25 AM
  #253
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Absolutely. ANd it was far more telling that they leaned towards players with size vs the smurfs that are currently in their system.

And usually if you have 2 high picks, you tend not to draft the same position. Especially considering that BPA usually is ideal if it's inside the top 10. Outside of the top 10, everyone has their own list of who they believe is the best player available.

It's pretty clear that Buffalo feels they are weak down the middle and took advantage of that by taking 2 large centerman because they dont see Hodgson as their #1 Center going forward.

I bet he's traded in 2-3 years to another team because his lack of speed and his non existent defensive play coupled with his sense of entitlement attitude.
When Markham gets a team


Sounds like Sabres fans are growing concerned with Foligno's compete level.


edit: Seriously where's y2k?


Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 01-25-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
  #254
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 13,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
When Markham gets a team


Sounds like Sabres fans are growing concerned with Foligno's compete level.
What happened with foligno? I thought they were chuffed with him.

Maybe an issues of expectations?

Lonny Bohonos is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 AM
  #255
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
What happened with foligno? I thought they were chuffed with him.

Maybe an issues of expectations?
A lot easier to play when there are no expectations and things are going well. He also got kind of lucky in that he was called up right when Ennis and Stafford were heating up.

---

Anyway, Hodgson is no better #1C than Tyler Bozak and probably worse given his defensive play. 3 points on a line with players who have 8 and 7 points? On for 7GA out of the 9 that his team conceded all season? Those are some sad stats.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  #256
pahlsson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
A lot easier to play when there are no expectations and things are going well. He also got kind of lucky in that he was called up right when Ennis and Stafford were heating up.

---

Anyway, Hodgson is no better #1C than Tyler Bozak and probably worse given his defensive play. 3 points on a line with players who have 8 and 7 points? On for 7GA out of the 9 that his team conceded all season? Those are some sad stats.
you srs, this is his first season playing big minutes

why canucks fans feel the need to constantly **** on hodgson is beyond me, we can "appreciate" kassian without mudslinging

pahlsson is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:40 AM
  #257
VanCanucks14
Registered User
 
VanCanucks14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Foligno is young and I expect Kassian to go through the same thing. They are both growing and will both go though a lull. Consistency is something forwards like them always battle with and factor in age, it just makes it worse. I wouldn't worry much about it if I were a Sabres fan.

VanCanucks14 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:42 AM
  #258
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
you srs, this is his first season playing big minutes

why canucks fans feel the need to constantly **** on hodgson is beyond me, we can "appreciate" kassian without mudslinging
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Right now he's clearly no better than Tyler Bozak... The suggestion that he could be a #1C or even #2C on this team was ridiculous. What he develops into in 2 or 3 years doesn't help us right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Foligno is young and I expect Kassian to go through the same thing. They are both growing and will both go though a lull. Consistency is something forwards like them always battle with and factor in age, it just makes it worse. I wouldn't worry much about it if I were a Sabres fan.
Pretty much.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 12:53 AM
  #259
Wizeman*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
Foligno is young and I expect Kassian to go through the same thing. They are both growing and will both go though a lull. Consistency is something forwards like them always battle with and factor in age, it just makes it worse. I wouldn't worry much about it if I were a Sabres fan.
The Kassian I saw last night was playing completely regardless of anyone else at all. He was a grown man who put his work hat on and grabbed his lunch box and went out and imposed HIS WILL on the Flames.

If AV can teach him to keep his FOCUS , he is going to be an All Star by time he is 25.

Wizeman* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
  #260
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
this is interesting, and i have to say as a fan who is also sick of the Raymond hate that impatience in such circumstances is actually a plus in my books. The don't talk **** about my players kind of attitude and loyalty i can really get behind.
Agreed.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:54 AM
  #261
LolClarkson*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Absolutely. ANd it was far more telling that they leaned towards players with size vs the smurfs that are currently in their system.

And usually if you have 2 high picks, you tend not to draft the same position. Especially considering that BPA usually is ideal if it's inside the top 10. Outside of the top 10, everyone has their own list of who they believe is the best player available.

It's pretty clear that Buffalo feels they are weak down the middle and took advantage of that by taking 2 large centerman because they dont see Hodgson as their #1 Center going forward.

I bet he's traded in 2-3 years to another team because his lack of speed and his non existent defensive play coupled with his sense of entitlement attitude.
Buffalo has a history of sucess with small skilled forwards.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 02:59 AM
  #262
LolClarkson*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
you srs, this is his first season playing big minutes

why canucks fans feel the need to constantly **** on hodgson is beyond me, we can "appreciate" kassian without mudslinging
Hodgson was untouchable by every poster here before the trade. Some fans are starting to like Kassian but remember the day after the trade ? I sure do.

We should bump that thread

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:29 AM
  #263
Blue Suede Shoes
hound dog
 
Blue Suede Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendini View Post
Coho got his wish and is now playing 1st line centre on an NHL team. He has great line mates and will put up good numbers. He may even become a star in the NHL.

This would never have happened in Vancouver. The best he could do is a temporary 2nd line centre with mediocre line mates.
This is a good point, On our team hodgson would still only be a 3rd line player. And temporarily on the 2nd line. But even if he WAS happy with such a situation, he would be puting up very mediocre production, as he would be on a 3rd line with Hansen and Higgins - and temprorarily on a 2nd line with Raymond and Weise.

Blue Suede Shoes is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:31 AM
  #264
Blue Suede Shoes
hound dog
 
Blue Suede Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
A lot easier to play when there are no expectations and things are going well. He also got kind of lucky in that he was called up right when Ennis and Stafford were heating up.

---

Anyway, Hodgson is no better #1C than Tyler Bozak and probably worse given his defensive play. 3 points on a line with players who have 8 and 7 points?
This is interesting because the goals he scored weren't particularly amazing either. The first was a complete garbage goal, a winger drove the puck to the net, the puck bounced around, Cody skated into it and it bounced off his skate and in. His second goal was pretty flukey, I believe Ehrhoff shot the puck, it bounced off Cody's shoulder (or ass?) and in. His goal today was definitely his best, but still only cleaning up a rebound in front of the net, not amazing.

This might be interesting to a couple of the guys in this thread glorifying Hodgson's goal-scoring abilities, while dismissing Kassian's. I just don't think that is even close to accurate. Kassian's goal yesterday was much nicer than any of Cody's this year. Kassian took the puck to the net himself, and made a nice shot. And it wasn't a rebound that was improperly cleared - the first shot was blocked by Giordano and Kassian pounced on it and made no mistake with the next shot. Kassian has a very nice shot.

Quote:
On for 7GA out of the 9 that his team conceded all season? Those are some sad stats.
I noticed this too - he was on for 4 of the 5 goals against in today's game (excluding the empty netter) and to me it looked like he was directly responsible for a bunch of them - but I don't know enough to say for sure. If anyone wants to check for themselves, these are the highlights from that game today

Highlights of Carolina's 6-3 win over Buffalo. <4:23>

Blue Suede Shoes is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:31 AM
  #265
TheDiver*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Hodgson was untouchable by every poster here before the trade. Some fans are starting to like Kassian but remember the day after the trade ? I sure do.

We should bump that thread
Cody's father calling Mike Gillis and Cody whining to AV about his minutes is why we can't stand that spoiled rich kid.

TheDiver* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 03:38 AM
  #266
alternate
It's Miller time!
 
alternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
This is a good point, On our team hodgson would still only be a 3rd line player. And temporarily on the 2nd line. But even if he WAS happy with such a situation, he would be puting up very mediocre production, as he would be on a 3rd line with Hansen and Higgins - and temprorarily on a 2nd line with Raymond and Weise.
AND we'd still need to find a spot for Schroeder.

When you look at it as either Hodgson + Schroeder or Kassian + Schroeder, the second fits our current team so much better, especially once Kesler returns.

alternate is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:04 AM
  #267
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Hodgson was untouchable by every poster here before the trade. Some fans are starting to like Kassian but remember the day after the trade ? I sure do.

We should bump that thread
I loved the deal day 1.

Jay Cee is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:06 AM
  #268
Outside99*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
I've said it for a while, Hodgson has some serious skating/stamina issues that undermine his ability to play 2 way hockey. Its no coincidence that the best defensive forwards are usually excellent skaters.

Outside99* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
  #269
deckercky
Registered User
 
deckercky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,631
vCash: 1125
Haven't seen his goals, but just watching Hodgson, he does look good out there with Pominville and Vanek. Nice puck control and some good creativity. The points will come for him.

But I'm happy with Kassian on the Canucks. Once Kesler's back, the Canucks are a much better team with Kassian than they would be with Hodgson, and I'm not sure the drop-off from Hodgson to Schroeder is that much. For now, while the team is missing most of the second line, we look worse than we would if we had Hodgson still, but you can't build a team with that in mind (plus, Schroeder would still not have a shot in the NHL if that were the case).

deckercky is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:01 AM
  #270
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,653
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Hodgson was untouchable by every poster here before the trade. Some fans are starting to like Kassian but remember the day after the trade ? I sure do.

We should bump that thread
Probably bump - worthy to see the people freaking out. I loved the trade and got a Kassian jersey the next day, and put up with some mocking wearing it last year. Who knows how it will turn out.

And I've got nothing against Hodgson, we just needed to get a couple guys like Kassian.


Last edited by m9: 01-25-2013 at 10:10 AM.
m9 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
  #271
PRNuck
Rekt.
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,202
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
I loved the deal day 1.
I loved the deal before it happened. I suggested moving him for Kassian.

#ijustmadethatup

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:08 AM
  #272
ItsAllPartOfThePlan
Registered User
 
ItsAllPartOfThePlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Haven't seen his goals, but just watching Hodgson, he does look good out there with Pominville and Vanek. Nice puck control and some good creativity. The points will come for him.

But I'm happy with Kassian on the Canucks. Once Kesler's back, the Canucks are a much better team with Kassian than they would be with Hodgson, and I'm not sure the drop-off from Hodgson to Schroeder is that much. For now, while the team is missing most of the second line, we look worse than we would if we had Hodgson still, but you can't build a team with that in mind (plus, Schroeder would still not have a shot in the NHL if that were the case).
Except Schroeder has said he will do whatever it takes to play in the NHL, including playing wing if need be.

It is funny, I remember when Hodgson was drafted all we talked about was his character and for Schroeder, there were serious questions about his character. Look how that turned out.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
  #273
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Except Schroeder has said he will do whatever it takes to play in the NHL, including playing wing if need be.

It is funny, I remember when Hodgson was drafted all we talked about was his character and for Schroeder, there were serious questions about his character. Look how that turned out.
It's actually interesting. Schroeder was drafted after Gillis implemented his personality testing whereas Hodgson was drafted before. Clearly they thought that Schroeder did well on the test while I would be curious to see how Hodgson does on it. He's not horrible or anything, but he's clearly got a bit of a feeling of entitlement and seems to be a bit selfish.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
  #274
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,495
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Right now he's clearly no better than Tyler Bozak... The suggestion that he could be a #1C or even #2C on this team was ridiculous. What he develops into in 2 or 3 years doesn't help us right now.
I mostly agree with you, at least as far as this year is concerned. I do think Buffalo's team defense isn't exactly great (not that he helps) -- that's just a team of guys that don't play a great two-way game. It's a pretty small sample size (and +/- a pretty bad stat) to start drawing sweeping conclusions, however.

Hodgson is a smart player. If he continues to work at his defensive game, he can be as respectable as Henrik Sedin is, I'd think. Similar physical tools.

Hodgson I think is a kid that could probably flourish if he had someone like Ryan Kesler on his wing to help cover for his footspeed (especially at that age). I don't think that Hodgson is someone the Sabres are looking to move in the future, though, as some others have expressed. They drafted centers because they're good players and because you can never have too many good centers.

Kassian is a big gamble by Gillis, but if it pays off it will be a heck of a trade. And either way, it's fun to follow a 1-for-1 deal like that and see what happens.

Proto is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  #275
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I mostly agree with you, at least as far as this year is concerned. I do think Buffalo's team defense isn't exactly great (not that he helps) -- that's just a team of guys that don't play a great two-way game. It's a pretty small sample size (and +/- a pretty bad stat) to start drawing sweeping conclusions, however.

Hodgson is a smart player. If he continues to work at his defensive game, he can be as respectable as Henrik Sedin is, I'd think. Similar physical tools.
Hodgson has pretty much shown over the past 3 years that he doesn't really care to work on his defensive game. Sure he's smart enough but he just doesn't care about playing defense. He was directly responsible for 3 goals yesterday and had a weak backcheck on the fourth. I believe he contributed to the other 2 goals in the other 2 games too. Plus minus might be weak but he doesn't pass the eye test either.

I think it's pretty telling when you have an undersized rookie playing his first game and AV is instantly more warmed up to him than he ever was to Cody and trusts him more defensively.

Tiranis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.