HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 02:46 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I think it's his consistency right now. Everyone is still thinking about the 44 games he played last year and how he was nearly invisible for the 16 - 17 games here. Sure has been more consistent, but I want to see where he stands when Kesler and Booth get back in. Where does he slot in and can he work his way back onto that second line?

Let us not forget he did pot in his 1st ever goal as a Canuck there. However, I do see Higgins getting a shot before Kassian..I'm curious if Hansen can play on the LW...

This is why I'm kind of upset that Kassian isn't playing with Schroeder and Raymond....it gives AV a chance to see what they can do yes with Raymond - Schroeder and Hansen give you a huge speed element but no finish where as Kassian has really soft hands for a big man and certainly better than those three IMO. Nearly had a snipe on his big wind up earlier and didn't miss by much.

So you think he has it in him to be an engine on a line? a la Bertuzzi?

I understand why AV didn't put Kassian with Schroeder and Raymond. He's trying to give each line an identity and the 2nd line being a speedy, counter-puncher seems the right way to go. It leaves the hard checking 3rd line scope intact. Hansen and Schroeder have chemistry too so it was an easy call.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:03 AM
ugghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
So you think he has it in him to be an engine on a line? a la Bertuzzi?

I understand why AV didn't put Kassian with Schroeder and Raymond. He's trying to give each line an identity and the 2nd line being a speedy, counter-puncher seems the right way to go. It leaves the hard checking 3rd line scope intact. Hansen and Schroeder have chemistry too so it was an easy call.
Kassian could definitely be the go-to guy on a team, nevermind a line, in the future. Development is a tricky thing, though, but if he keeps putting in the effort he's going to be a big part of the Canucks moving forward.

As for the lines, I liked Hansen with Raymond and Schroeder -- just a ton of speed -- and I think the 3rd line had some great shifts. The lines will look very different when Kesler + Booth return anyway.

Old
02-08-2013, 03:47 AM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
I still like Hodgson, what do people have against Hodgson? He has game-winners against the Bruins and Leafs, he's doing good work out there. Trading him to Buffalo screwed over teams we don't like, we should be rooting for Hodgson.

That said, I think both teams got what they needed out of that trade and Kassian is better for us than Hodgson was, we needed more size in the top six and Kassian and Booth have it.
He also a -3 on one of the highest scoring lines in the NHL right now. 42% on draws, Burrows is at 44% to put that into perspective. He is a prim donna who didn't want to be here unless he got more minutes when he is terrible defensively, I don't know about you but I find it pretty hard to cheer for a guy that puts himself before the team when he doesn't have the all around game to back it up yet. Schroeder is a better 2 way player at this point and he has only played 7 or 8 NHL games.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:08 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
He also a -3 on one of the highest scoring lines in the NHL right now. 42% on draws, Burrows is at 44% to put that into perspective. He is a prim donna who didn't want to be here unless he got more minutes when he is terrible defensively, I don't know about you but I find it pretty hard to cheer for a guy that puts himself before the team when he doesn't have the all around game to back it up yet. Schroeder is a better 2 way player at this point and he has only played 7 or 8 NHL games.
From the Sabres board:

Quote:
I have little doubt that Hodgson will be better over the long term, but I do find it pretty funny that the same posters that are always bringing up advanced stats are ignoring that Ennis has the higher Corsi rating, starts in the defensive zone more than any center on the team (and despite that finishes in the offensive zone more than Hodgson), plays against a significantly better level of competition, and despite starting in the defensive zone more against better competition has been on the ice for 6 ES goals against compared to Hodgson's 16.

I guess advanced stats are only brought up when the argument suits you.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

One of the guys on 1040, Chapman i believe. is already *****ing about Kassian.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I have a certain relative like this who I almost can't talk hockey with anymore. He's so bitter.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
VanEric

Quote:
What's there to ***** about?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He expects a "Gordie Howe hat trick" every game. Seems reasonable to me.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
AndyPipkin

^ Kassian just playing has an effect on the game. Defenders and players along the boards get rid of the puck faster then they should if Kassian is bearing down on them. Henrik and Daniel have both been throwing their bodies around as a result.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^ Kassian just playing has an effect on the game. Defenders and players along the boards get rid of the puck faster then they should if Kassian is bearing down on them. Henrik and Daniel have both been throwing their bodies around as a result.
Just like when Gino was on the team, everybody somehow is several inches higher & weigh 10-20 more pounds....

Old
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Just like when Gino was on the team, everybody somehow is several inches higher & weigh 10-20 more pounds....
Exactly. Someone earlier mentioned when(It was either Dank or Hank, can't remember) one of the Sedins was in front of the net with all 5 Wild players around him, Kassian stepped into the middle and no wild player pushed the issue.

Face it guys, Kass is a pimp

Edit: I'll post some gifs from last night soon.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Chapman should stick to talking about coaching middle school girls soccer.

Guy is a clown.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:03 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
He expects a "Gordie Howe hat trick" every game. Seems reasonable to me.
No big guys ever bring the power game every night, it's impossible. Lucic consistently goes through slumbers every year. Kassian has enough skill to carry him through the nights where maybe he's too sore to lay a big hit or his legs just aren't there.

We need Kassian to have those "Gordie Howe hat trick" games when they matter the most.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
No big guys ever bring the power game every night, it's impossible. Lucic consistently goes through slumbers every year. Kassian has enough skill to carry him through the nights where maybe he's too sore to lay a big hit or his legs just aren't there.

We need Kassian to have those "Gordie Howe hat trick" games when they matter the most.
Totally agree.

So far he's played consistently well in 8-9 of our 10 games. I don't think that level of consistency is sustainable or should be expected, but if it was...wowza.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

His real value will come in the playoffs. Hopefully just his presence on the ice (more than just your run of the mill goon who's just on the ice for maybe 5 minutes a game) will mean our other players stay healthier for a marathon run that is the road to the Cup.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Having a positive impact (both on and off the scoresheet) for even just 7 out of 10 games so far is amazing consistency for a 22 year-old power forward. Obviously, though, it's only been 10 games so let's see how it holds up.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Well apparently he hasnt scored in a few games.

I almost get the impression its his schtick. Rintoul then "defended" Kass and Chapman (?) was arguing with him.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Well apparently he hasnt scored in a few games.

I almost get the impression its his schtick. Rintoul then "defended" Kass and Chapman (?) was arguing with him.
Kass gets chances every game. Last night he got robbed.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Kass gets chances every game. Last night he got robbed.
I know.

He also missed a shot high. Made some nice passes including the cross zone pass to Higgins. Not to mention the little things he does like creating havoc in front of the net like last night that leads to goals.

Frankly I thin the media plays down to the basest of fans in Vancouver.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I thought Kassian was great last night...didn't expect that Higgins/Lapierre/Kassian line to amount to much, but they were unlucky not to hit the scoresheet more than they did.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:32 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I thought Kassian was great last night...didn't expect that Higgins/Lapierre/Kassian line to amount to much, but they were unlucky not to hit the scoresheet more than they did.
Not to mention the fact he was on ice when for the Raymond/Shredder goal.

Also I liked that play where he just ripped the puck at the net and did not miss by much top corner.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Not to mention the fact he was on ice when for the Raymond/Shredder goal.

Also I liked that play where he just ripped the puck at the net and did not miss by much top corner.
He was on the ice for two of the goals I think. The Raymond goal he could have been give an "unofficial" assist on that one.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
BloatedGuppy

Kassian is going to have his slow nights. Even prime Bertuzzi had nights were he was an utter passenger, if not an outright liability.

He's still very much in his developmental stage. He needs to work on his skating, and he needs to work on keeping his intensity level high. You can see a huge difference in the quality of his play and the quality of his decision making when he's engaged.

He strikes me as the kind of player they talk about "not wanting to wake up".

Old
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
He was on the ice for two of the goals I think. The Raymond goal he could have been give an "unofficial" assist on that one.
I meant in addition to being on the ice for that goal as Mr C had mentioned that line had hit the score sheet

Old
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Scurr

Quote:

Agreed. The consistency comes from playing the system well every night and working hard, which he has done well imo.

Closed Thread