HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
What do people think: Destined to be a complementary player or is he going to lead a line/team as a Bertuzzi type? (Prior to Moore thing).

Old
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What do people think: Destined to be a complementary player or is he going to lead a line/team as a Bertuzzi type? (Prior to Moore thing).
It's really up to him, he definitely has the talent to be a front line player. If he can keep up the offseason work ethic he'll get there imo. The difference between Bertuzzi/Kassian and a lot of big guys (Lucic) is their playmaking ability, I think that makes them a threat to be point a game players.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Think this team is better off either extreme given the current make-up of the rest of the roster. Even a borderline 2nd line winger (with a physical intimidating factor) fills a hole that is long overdue.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:06 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
He's developing into exactly what we were looking for, a tough as nails forward who can play a regular shift and likely contribute 20-25 G and 50-60 PTS on a regular basis.

That being said, the thread title is kind of ridiculous given that Cody has turned out exactly as expected as well, maybe better and sooner, given his output so far 5G, 5A, 10PTS in 11 games.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
He's developing into exactly what we were looking for, a tough as nails forward who can play a regular shift and likely contribute 20-25 G and 50-60 PTS on a regular basis.

That being said, the thread title is kind of ridiculous given that Cody has turned out exactly as expected as well, maybe better and sooner, given his output so far 5G, 5A, 10PTS in 11 games.
Not to downplay those pretty decent numbers but I'd wager that Kassian's totals would've been superior had the Sedins been putting up numbers like Vanek & Pominville. Heck, Pominville - who has less 7 points less than Vanek - has as many points as BOTH Sedins.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

I think a lot of us expect more from Hodgson than you do if that's the case. He was suppose to be a heady, two way player. He hasn't been that at all at this level.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not to downplay those pretty decent numbers but I'd wager that Kassian's totals would've been superior had the Sedins been putting up numbers like Vanek & Pominville. Heck, Pominville - who has less 7 points less than Vanek - has as many points as BOTH Sedins.
Hodgson played last game without Vanek and was -2 with no points. He's now at 0GF, 9GA without Vanek, I believe.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
I see a solid 2-way winger with good hands, a good shot, and loads of size and toughness.

I think you would always want him paired with more offensively gifted line mates.

So yeah the "complementary" tag is probably appropriate.

That said, by the same standard Milan Lucic is a complementary player as well. Put him with Savard, Kessel, or Krejci and he shines. Put him with Ian Lappiere and he gets you 35 points.

Bertuzzi was in a different class talent wise. Even when he was a bumbling 21 year old you could see it.

Old
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I keep reading stuff like this but what people seem to miss is that their even strength goals are the same (5) and point totals are almost the same (Hodgson 10, Pom 10, Vanek 13).

Vanek and Pominville play 2 mpg more then Hodgson on the power play and they have clearly lit it up during those minutes.

Hodgson has not been carried offensively at even strength, and given how good he was for us on the power play last year I suspect he's been quite unlucky to be sitting at 0 points on the power play.

Cody Hodgson is a very good offensive player, but he's small, and his defensive game needs a lot of work.

I'm very happy with the trade.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I see a solid 2-way winger with good hands, a good shot, and loads of size and toughness.

I think you would always want him paired with more offensively gifted line mates.

So yeah the "complementary" tag is probably appropriate.

That said, by the same standard Milan Lucic is a complementary player as well. Put him with Savard, Kessel, or Krejci and he shines. Put him with Ian Lappiere and he gets you 35 points.

Bertuzzi was in a different class talent wise. Even when he was a bumbling 21 year old you could see it.

I see what you mean. You can still be a complementary player and a 1st liner...

With regards to Bertuzzi's talent, he was still paired with a better offensive player in Naslund. He fed off that relationship too. But I see the argument that he created his share of offense within that mix as well...

I guess it will have to come down to Kassian's ability to create offense on his own. Bertuzzi had that way to breakdown his check or rush up ice when the opportunity was there. I hope that aspect of Kassian's game develops a bit more.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Potatoe1

Quote:

With regards to Bertuzzi's talent, he was still paired with a better offensive player in Naslund. He fed off that relationship too. But I see the argument that he created his share of offense within that mix as well...
I'm not sure I agree that Nasland was the better ofensive player.

Nasland was clearly the better pro, but in terms of raw talent I think Bert gets the nod.

Quote:
I guess it will have to come down to Kassian's ability to create offense on his own. Bertuzzi had that way to breakdown his check or rush up ice when the opportunity was there. I hope that aspect of Kassian's game develops a bit more.
I dont see that in Kassian, and Bert showed that ability almost right away.

That said Kassian is tougher then Bert, he's a better team mate, he's better in his own zone, and I think he's a more intelligent hockey player.

I dont think Kassian has the same upside but he might have a better over all career.

Kassisan is a guy who could post 50 to 60 points a year on our first or second line for the next 10 years. Bert really only had 2-3 great years here, the rest of the time it was very debatable if his contribution was even a positive one.

Old
02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I thought Kassian was great last night...didn't expect that Higgins/Lapierre/Kassian line to amount to much, but they were unlucky not to hit the scoresheet more than they did.
Great? I thought Kassian had a good game at best. Nothing to scoff at! but far from a 'Great' game.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
I keep reading stuff like this but what people seem to miss is that their even strength goals are the same (5) and point totals are almost the same (Hodgson 10, Pom 10, Vanek 13).

Vanek and Pominville play 2 mpg more then Hodgson on the power play and they have clearly lit it up during those minutes.

Hodgson has not been carried offensively at even strength, and given how good he was for us on the power play last year I suspect he's been quite unlucky to be sitting at 0 points on the power play.

Cody Hodgson is a very good offensive player, but he's small, and his defensive game needs a lot of work.

I'm very happy with the trade.
That wasn't the point of my post. I was talking about Kassian on how his linemates (up until the time of last night's game) were essentially the Sedins. The Sedins had a slow start which no doubt had to have effected Kassian's point totals to some degree. I'd actually argue Kassian was the guy carrying that line for the most part.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hodgson played last game without Vanek and was -2 with no points. He's now at 0GF, 9GA without Vanek, I believe.
He played with Vanek against the Canadiens

Also Vanek only has 13 es points, 10 es points a piece for Hodgson and Pominville, 0 PP points for Cody while averaging alittle over 2TOI on the second unit. Just thought I would point that out.

When Kesler comes back which line do you figure Kassian will be on?

Last edited by 1972: 02-08-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old
02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Lol so that no-talent goon Matt Kassian has apparently trademarked the name "Kassassin" and his idiot web admin is messaging Canucks bloggers who refer to Zack with that nickname and telling them to stop: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02...n-be-only-one/

It'll be hilarious when the Canucks massive web + media presence just completely obliterate him and his dinky little trademark.

Old
02-08-2013, 08:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
When Kesler comes back which line do you figure Kassian will be on?
I figure he'll still see time with the Sedins on occasion at 5 on 5 particularly after a penalty kill, though I think it'll mostly be with Kesler.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
When the eastern conference finally picks up the scouting report on Hodgson, he is doomed.

The scouting report is simple. Crush the little sucker into the ice. He is not big. He is not strong, so he cannot defend himself. He is not fast so he cant out run you.

If you get in his face and bully Hodgson, he has utterly no recourse. This is why he is already ineffective without someone like Vanek.

Getting Cody out of here was one of the best moves Gillis has made. The infighting with fans, in the media , and even Hodgsons father was such a joke that he would have to be Gretzky to be worth putting up with it for the next 10 years.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I figure he'll still see time with the Sedins on occasion at 5 on 5 particularly after a penalty kill, though I think it'll mostly be with Kesler.
Came here to say pretty much that. The only confident guess I could give is that 1 shift after the PK that's usually the twins and the next best offensives option at the time. Usually quite and effective time for us to.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:12 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
Came here to say pretty much that. The only confident guess I could give is that 1 shift after the PK that's usually the twins and the next best offensives option at the time. Usually quite and effective time for us to.
I think Burrows will still be their main linemate, but should that line go cold in the playoffs we could see AV switching him with Kassian instead.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Lol so that no-talent goon Matt Kassian has apparently trademarked the name "Kassassin" and his idiot web admin is messaging Canucks bloggers who refer to Zack with that nickname and telling them to stop: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/02...n-be-only-one/

It'll be hilarious when the Canucks massive web + media presence just completely obliterate him and his dinky little trademark.
#zackkassassin get er trending.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I think Burrows will still be their main linemate, but should that line go cold in the playoffs we could see AV switching him with Kassian instead.
Yea, Its good to have some competition for Burr and that top line spot, pushes him to be better, and maybe put Kassian with the twins against some of the more physical teams. That"s what Id do anyways.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

1 vs 5, No biggie though.

Well PMB might be a .5

Old
02-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post

1 vs 5, No biggie though.

Well PMB might be a .5
I wish you would have included Hank whacking the goalie to start it all... but I love it anyway. Thanks.

It's a good time to be a Canuck fan imo.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:06 PM
duplo

prince kasspian

Old
02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post