HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Of course it was premature to say he permanently secured that role. He isn't ready for full time first line duty. Nobody should have been expecting that. It did show that their styles can mesh imo.

Lets not forget how he got that opportunity in the first place, the twins with Burr were struggling.

The Sedins and Burrows struggled mostly due to rust. By comparison, Kassian was in mid-season form. So they put Kassian with them more to carry them through while everyone caught up. The mistake made as that people bought into it more than they should have.

Quote:
Can you demonstrate this? When I think of the runs Bitz, Hansen and Lappy all had on the line last season I find it hard to believe their production slowed without him.
Slowed? No, just not as good. Remember, the proof is that their highest Art Ross levels came with Burrows and no one else. More, they are visibly better with him. Further, AV always reverts to that combo when he needs offense. Statistically, it's a tall order to go over the data, but logically, this is what we have all seen here for the last 4 years.

Quote:
This doesn't make any sense to me. We are limited in combinations by the twins always playing together, I fail to see how that makes it more advantageous for us to stick our 3 best forwards together. Does anyone in the league do that?
They do t because they are limited by the Sedin interdependence. No other team has that combo at the top. 2 guys that have to play together. This immediately impacts the remaining combo. It won't be nearly as good. By recognizing this limitation, the Canucks have made the choice to maximize their top end instead of strengthening their depth. With the way this team is constructed, I believe it to be the right call.

The only other option is to split the twins and pair each with Kesler or Burrows. As much as that would spread the offense, it completely messes with the stacking effect of pairing the Sedins together along with Burrows. They lose the unique advantage they have by doing this. It's not worth the stretch, as Proto alludes.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The Sedins and Burrows struggled mostly due to rust. By comparison, Kassian was in mid-season form. So they put Kassian with them more to carry them through while everyone caught up. The mistake made as that people bought into it more than they should have.
That's not the first time they've been broken up or struggled. Kassian was playing well at the time and the twins were not. It was pretty easy to see that Kassian's puck protection and net presence meshed well with what the twins do imo. No reason to think it can't work when they're all playing reasonably well.

Quote:
Slowed? No, just not as good. Remember, the proof is that their highest Art Ross levels came with Burrows and no one else. More, they are visibly better with him. Further, AV always reverts to that combo when he needs offense. Statistically, it's a tall order to go over the data, but logically, this is what we have all seen here for the last 4 years.
The twins played a considerable amount of time apart and with Samuelsson in their Art Ross seasons. Most of the twins production in those seasons and since has been with Burrows... because that's who they normally play with. They've also produced with other players at the same rate. Their best playoff statistically was 09/10 when they played 42% of the time with Mikael Samuelsson.

Logically we've seen the twins put up points whenever they've played well, regardless of who they're playing with.

Quote:
They do t because they are limited by the Sedin interdependence. No other team has that combo at the top. 2 guys that have to play together. This immediately impacts the remaining combo. It won't be nearly as good. By recognizing this limitation, the Canucks have made the choice to maximize their top end instead of strengthening their depth. With the way this team is constructed, I believe it to be the right call.
Lots of teams have a top 2 that regularly play together on the top line. I'd say most teams do. What they don't have is their 3 best or 3 of 4 best playing on the top line.

Quote:
The only other option is to split the twins and pair each with Kesler or Burrows. As much as that would spread the offense, it completely messes with the stacking effect of pairing the Sedins together along with Burrows. They lose the unique advantage they have by doing this. It's not worth the stretch, as Proto alludes.
Burrows isn't getting enough credit for how good a player he has become. I don't mind the line being broken up because I think he's a 25 goal, 50 point player without the twins. That's why we paid him all that money. If he's a 35 point 3rd liner without them then we should have spent the money elsewhere and let Hansen have the gig.

Last edited by Scurr: 03-02-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Closed Thread