HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kassian vs Hodgson

View Poll Results: ?
Kassian 84 35.44%
Hodgson 153 64.56%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
On a serious note: both players are developing nicely right now. Hodgson hasn't looked out of place as a 1st line center (though his defensive game still needs a fair bit of work), and Kassian looks like he's taken a step toward becoming more consistent, which has always been his biggest issue.

Both fan bases are happy. Everybody won. Check back in 5 years when we have a better idea of how each guy's career is going to play out and what kind of long-term role they'll have with their respective teams.
Took Hodgson, slight edge right now but if their was an option for a tie or too close to call I would ahve picked it.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Rod Buskas*

Hodgson, AINEC.

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
The Sedins aren't below average defensively.

I just wish we could lock this thread, then maybe make one in a year or 2.

I like the way Cody's skating has improved, he just continues to put up points, and Kassian has looked great on any line he has been on.

It also works out since you guys have alot of good wingers, and we have a few top notch centers.

Plus both teams have a young player starting to emerge in that position of the player they lost aswell (Foligno, Schroeder)

Truly even thus-far.

You are right they aren't but they aren't above average defensively either.

For the most part if you judge their entire career they are average, slow start high peak possession guys but last 3 years their offensive zone starts have been way above average making them sheltered minutes compared to many of the "better than average" forwards in the NHL.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
You are right they aren't but they aren't above average defensively either.

For the most part if you judge their entire career they are average, slow start high peak possession guys but last 3 years their offensive zone starts have been way above average making them sheltered minutes compared to many of the "better than average" forwards in the NHL.
Okay lets not turn this into another opportunity for you to bash the Sedins. They are superstars in this league right now. Lets just leave it at that.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Ice Whole

Hodgson quite easily IMO.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Pretty even trade but I probably would want Cody on my team. ITs a trade the Canucks needed to make to get bigger and more physical. I remember the Vancouver fans all excited about HOdgson before he was traded and often wonder what went wrong.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM

Hodgson is tied for 4th in the NHL in ESP with 14, 2nd on the Sabres behind Vanek with 15.

Tied with Eric Staal in ESG with 7, leads the Sabres

Tied 10th in ESA in the NHL, 2nd on Sabres behind Vanek

14 points in 16 games and every point is ES, If he were on the top PP unit and getting more than 2 min a game he would likely have 5 + more points.

You can criticize him all you want but at the end of the day he has been Buffalo's 2nd most consistent foward.

Take away Vaneks two 5 point games and he only has 15 points in 13 games, Hodgson would have 10 points in 13 games with Vanek, Which is a 63 point/per 82 game pace. Only two players in the NHL last year had better than a 63 ESP/82 game pace. This is obviously a small sample size.

If he can get better on faceoffs and become average defensively he will become a very good player, no doubt in my mind he will be a #1 center.

Last edited by 1972: 02-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Okay lets not turn this into another opportunity for you to bash the Sedins. They are superstars in this league right now. Lets just leave it at that.
WTF are you talking about?

Going into Sundays games neither Sedin was in the top 40 in scoring.

Ironically Cody was.

But carry on don't let the facts get in the way of your crusade.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
WTF are you talking about?

Going into Sundays games neither Sedin was in the top 40 in scoring.

Ironically Cody was.

But carry on don't let the facts get in the way of your crusade.
He has 1 more point than Daniel and 2 more than Henrik. He has also played 2 more games than both and is playing alongside the hottest player in hockey.

Oh and Henrik is +10, Daniel is +6 and Cody is -2

If you think Cody is better than the Sedins (Or will even be frankly) I think you need to get a clue. Quit being so delusional and anti-Sedin.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
He has 1 more point than Daniel and 2 more than Henrik. He has also played 2 more games than both and is playing alongside the hottest player in hockey.

Oh and Henrik is +10, Daniel is +6 and Cody is -2

If you think Cody is better than the Sedins (Or will even be frankly) I think you need to get a clue. Quit being so delusional and anti-Sedin.
where did I say that cody was better than either Sedin?

And delusional is calling either Sedin elite this season as I pointed out above.

They aren't top 40 scorers even with 70% offensive zone starts.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Exactly in what universe are they elite?

Okay so they both just broke into the top 40 tonight, does that really make them elite?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:22 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

And delusional is calling either Sedin elite this season as I pointed out above.

Okay so they both just broke into the top 40 tonight, does that really make them elite?
I said they are superstars in this league.

And they are, it isn't a debate. They got off to a slow start pointswise (Alhtough they still played well) but now they are in elite form, They have something like 6 points in there last 3 games.

I guess since he had a bit of a rough start, Henrik Lundqvist isn't an elite player either then I guess. Right? By your logic?

Just stop his is nonsensical Sedin bashing ****. Just make a poll asking whether they are superstars in this league (Which is what I said) And you will see by the results you are dead wrong.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:50 AM
StringerBell

Hodgson's definitely playing better than Kassian right now, however I heard a stat the other day that Cody's got the highest on ice GA in the league for forwards right now. If that's true it kind of takes away some of the magic, so to speak.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:05 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hodgson's definitely playing better than Kassian right now, however I heard a stat the other day that Cody's got the highest on ice GA in the league for forwards right now. If that's true it kind of takes away some of the magic, so to speak.
Not just right now. I think he has the worst goals against/60 of any player in the NHL over the last 20 plus years...

Hodgson is the better player right now and Kassian is more of a project. Though Hodgson's defensive game is quite the project in it's own right.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:10 AM
CanucksSayEh

Kassian isn't exactly a defensive beast himself. Buffalo kinda sucks too.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:

they are consistently near/at the top of the league in production, a slow start doesn't all of a sudden not make them elite. Vanek must a top 5 player now eh?

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
More like Hodgson = Kassian.

Hodgson has been great offensively for Buffalo, but terrible defensively. That does matter, and does take some impact on his offensive spurge with Vanek.

Kassian has been putting up points, being physical, and bringing everything we could have hoped for, there hasn't quite been the offensive reward like Hodgson has given. (But not that it's expected he will produce as much) Although Zack has been doing the other things that were adversited like being physical and hasn't had any glaring weaknesses in his game like Cody has with the defensive problems.

If you are only reading the stats sheet or living in the past (last year), then maybe Hodgson >>> Kassian. But if you are watching and paying attention. Hodgson = Kassian. Both have been great so far.
You keep telling yourself that Kassian = Hodgson while Hodgson keeps scoring goals and producing like he should be. I will make one guarantee though and that is Kassian will never produce as much as Hodgson. Hodgson is playing on the 1st line right now and is playing great, I just don't see Kassian producing as much as Hodgson ever int heir careers.

Hodgson ainec.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
You keep telling yourself that Kassian = Hodgson while Hodgson keeps scoring goals and producing like he should be. I will make one guarantee though and that is Kassian will never produce as much as Hodgson. Hodgson is playing on the 1st line right now and is playing great, I just don't see Kassian producing as much as Hodgson ever int heir careers.

Hodgson ainec.
I do think Hodgson is the better player but you are so misinformed here that's it's not even funny. Kassian is a project player while Hodgson was a ready top 6 centre. Only deslusional fans thought that Kassian would come and light it up this season (or last) because he still needs to work at his game. You think you should give up on a guy like MPS because he has regressed since his rookie season and has been scratched this year? No! that's ridiculous and Kassian is the same. Most knew when we got him that this was a move for the future and that Cody is the better player right now. Also we don't need Kassian to produce as much as Hodgson for him to be as/more valuable because Kassian isn't a one-dimensional player

Old
02-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Hodgson's looks like a 60 point player. Should be solid on faceoffs.

Kassian, if he develops, should be a 40-45 point player. He'll come with physicality and toughness.

Thing is, Hodgson would never get a chance like he is in Buffalo. Behind Kesler and Sedin. In Buffalo, he's behind... No one ?

If they develop as is I think both teams will be happy. They both got what they needed. What might shift the power is if Sulzer does well in Buffalo as Gragnani is gone already.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Kassian, if he develops, should be a 40-45 point player. He'll come with physicality and toughness.

Thing is, Hodgson would never get a chance like he is in Buffalo. Behind Kesler and Sedin. In Buffalo, he's behind... No one ?

If they develop as is I think both teams will be happy. They both got what they needed. What might shift the power is if Sulzer does well in Buffalo as Gragnani is gone already.
Im not saying that the Sabres didn't "win" the MAG-Sulzer trade cause they did but he was stuck so far down the depth chart behind players that one would think were AV's children (Rome and Alberts) that he would of never been giving a chance here. Glad to see him earn a roster spot in Buffalo though

Old
02-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Kassian has looked like a turd when Ive watched him recently, bad defensively, not being physical, not producing any offense. Back to his normal looking self.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:13 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Cody has twice as many points as Kassian. Hodgsons potential is higher then just 60 points, he has ppg potential, especially if he centers Vanek the next 4-5 years.

I'm loving how the trade turned out, got ourselves a top 6 center and we had a Kassian type player in Rochester who is just as good(was actually far better last year then Kassian. )

Kassians actually at a 41 point pace/ 82 games while Hodgson is at 72 point pace/ 82 games, so offensively Cody is destroying Kassian.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I do think Hodgson is the better player but you are so misinformed here that's it's not even funny. Kassian is a project player while Hodgson was a ready top 6 centre. Only deslusional fans thought that Kassian would come and light it up this season (or last) because he still needs to work at his game. You think you should give up on a guy like MPS because he has regressed since his rookie season and has been scratched this year? No! that's ridiculous and Kassian is the same. Most knew when we got him that this was a move for the future and that Cody is the better player right now. Also we don't need Kassian to produce as much as Hodgson for him to be as/more valuable because Kassian isn't a one-dimensional player
How am I mis informed? We all know what kassian brings to the table and we both agree that Hodgson is the better player right now. Read what I quoted... The dude said Hodgson = Kassian which I disagreed with respectfully. Kassian and Paajarvi are still progressing in their careers.... We want Paajarvi to be responsible defensively and use his speed and size to score goals, you want Kassian to hit, fight, get the greasy goals ( and some skilled goals) as well. Not once did I say anything wrong about Kassian though or mis informed for that matter, I made a guarantee that Kassian would never out produce Hodgson on the score sheet and I stand by that as imo it is not unreasonable. I see a bright future for Kassian but I see an even brighter future for Hodgson.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
How am I mis informed? We all know what kassian brings to the table and we both agree that Hodgson is the better player right now. Read what I quoted... The dude said Hodgson = Kassian which I disagreed with respectfully. Kassian and Paajarvi are still progressing in their careers.... We want Paajarvi to be responsible defensively and use his speed and size to score goals, you want Kassian to hit, fight, get the greasy goals ( and some skilled goals) as well. Not once did I say anything wrong about Kassian though or mis informed for that matter, I made a guarantee that Kassian would never out produce Hodgson on the score sheet and I stand by that as imo it is not unreasonable. I see a bright future for Kassian but I see an even brighter future for Hodgson.
it was the ainec comment I disagreed with.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Are you talking about next season with those predictions? I think that's low for both players. I can see Kassian hitting 65 at some point while averaging around 55. I can see Hodgson being a ppg at some point while averaging around 70. That's if they both reach their potential, tho.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiled up* View Post

Hodgson ainec.
Well after last night it is looking a bit more like Hodgson > Kassian as Hodgson scored and Kassian didn't do much. But prior to that Kassian was bringing what was adversited consistently.

And obviously Kassian will likely not produce as much, that's been well noted. Hodgson will also never bring the size, intimidation, grit and toughness Kassian brings. It is an equal trade off. If all you are looking at is offensive production, then yes. Cody > Zack, and Buffalo won. But you would only be looking at half the picture, as Kassian brings a hole other element to the team Hodgson cannot bring. And that evens out the playing field.

Hodgson hasn't been great defensively either, and thats an understatment. So well Cody > Zack offensively. It has been Zack > Cody everywhere else.

Hodgson in his prime IMO will be a consistent 55-75 point guy. I could see Kassian beinga 50-65 point guy.

So if the trade off is an extra 10-20 points for the added grit, toughness, and all the intangibles I have listed. I'm fine with that. Especially since we have alot of offensive players on our current team and some in the cupboard, and we lack what Kassian brings.

For us, Kassian is the much better player to have, likewise for Buffalo it seems. A classic win-win. And that is what makes it Kassian = Hodgson.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 02-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.