HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Lowest-paid player in NHL history

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2005, 08:43 PM
svetovy poharu

vCash: 500
Lowest-paid player in NHL history

It was certainly a different time in the mid-1920s when the NHL wasn't a big-money game in those days. I was reading about NHL history odd and unusual stories and was surprised to find that the NHL limited teams back then by a $35,000 salary cap.
So if a team wanted to sign a player in midseason it would most often challenge a team's budget.

In this instance, Charlie (Dinny) Dinsmore was a spare forward for 3 seasons with the Montreal Maroons in the mid-1920s. He had won a Stanley Cup with the team in 1926 but left the game in 1928 to take a job as a bond trader. But in the middle of the 1929-30 season, he asked the Maroons about getting his old job back because he said the stock market didn't offer the same thrills as playing in the NHL.

Montreal team officials told him that they had no more money in the budget to sign another player, but Dinsmore was insistent and struck a deal by signing a contract to play for the Maroons which would pay him one dollar for the remaining 9 games.
It worked out to be a little more than 10-cents a game, making Dinsmore the lowest-paid player in NHL history. Quite a bargain indeed.

Old
03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

jesus, i wish players now adays would insist to get $1 contracts for 9/10 games

Old
03-06-2005, 10:10 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetovy poharu
He had won a Stanley Cup with the team in 1926 but left the game in 1928 to take a job as a bond trader. But in the middle of the 1929-30 season, he asked the Maroons about getting his old job back because he said the stock market didn't offer the same thrills as playing in the NHL.
Hmmmm .... somehow I don't think the excitement of the NHL was the reason he bailed on the stock market in late 1929.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:04 AM
wedge

wow... that's passion... but maybe, with the 1$, other things were included, like a place to live, food, clothes...

I remember Patrick Flatley a few years ago.. He was a good player and was really underpaid, being by far the poor guy of the league. still, it was 100 000$ more than Dinsmore lol

Old
03-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
some leaf players in the 1980's were making less then a 100 grand aseasonn

players making 10 cents a game is nothing any fan should wish for his hockey hereos

Old
03-07-2005, 01:08 AM
monkey_00*

That almost reminds me of the story of the Hamilton Tigers NHL team..........

Hamilton had a team in the NHL way back in the ROARING 1920s......a company from Hamilton, Abso-pure Ice Company (no longer exists I searched it myself), bought the Québec Bulldogs franchise from the Québec owners for $5,000 their best season was their final season in Hamilton where the club finished first overall in the 1924-25 season..........I think from what I've read the Hamilton players wanted to get paid an extra $200.00 each cause of the additional games added to their schedule that season........the Tigers owner Percy Thompson refused to give in to the players demands so the players went on strike...becoming the first ever NHL club to do so...the Tigers that season were heavy favorites to win the Stanley Cup...NHL President Frank Calder was not amused stating the players would be fined or suspended if they did not play in the final series, but the players stated they would rather retire than to be taken advantage of......

Later on that summer the NHL expanded to the United States for the first time by placing a team in Boston (the Bruins), "Big Bill" Dwyer, New York's most-celebrated prohibition bootlegger purchased the Tigers from Percy Thompson for $75,000 and swiftly relocated them to New York's newly completed 18,000-seat Madison Square Garden...they became the first hockey team to play inside Madison Square Garden in New York......The Tigers were now known as the Americans.........

All of the Tigers players received raises, with many players salaries jumping almost 200%.

Old
03-12-2005, 10:40 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetovy poharu
Charlie (Dinny) Dinsmore... asked the Maroons about getting his old job back because he said the stock market didn't offer the same thrills as playing in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Hmmmm .... somehow I don't think the excitement of the NHL was the reason he bailed on the stock market in late 1929.
Playing for the NHL's 1929-30 Pittsburgh Pirates (5-36-3 record and worst place by 20 points) would have been better than playing the stock market in 1929-30.

Old
03-12-2005, 10:51 AM
oil slick

I don't know if this counts, but Chris Levesque, the UBC goalie that suited up for the Canucks a last season played for free.

Old
03-12-2005, 12:19 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
That almost reminds me of the story of the Hamilton Tigers NHL team..........

Hamilton had a team in the NHL way back in the ROARING 1920s......a company from Hamilton, Abso-pure Ice Company (no longer exists I searched it myself), bought the Québec Bulldogs franchise from the Québec owners for $5,000 their best season was their final season in Hamilton where the club finished first overall in the 1924-25 season..........I think from what I've read the Hamilton players wanted to get paid an extra $200.00 each cause of the additional games added to their schedule that season........the Tigers owner Percy Thompson refused to give in to the players demands so the players went on strike...becoming the first ever NHL club to do so...the Tigers that season were heavy favorites to win the Stanley Cup...NHL President Frank Calder was not amused stating the players would be fined or suspended if they did not play in the final series, but the players stated they would rather retire than to be taken advantage of......

Later on that summer the NHL expanded to the United States for the first time by placing a team in Boston (the Bruins), "Big Bill" Dwyer, New York's most-celebrated prohibition bootlegger purchased the Tigers from Percy Thompson for $75,000 and swiftly relocated them to New York's newly completed 18,000-seat Madison Square Garden...they became the first hockey team to play inside Madison Square Garden in New York......The Tigers were now known as the Americans.........

All of the Tigers players received raises, with many players salaries jumping almost 200%.
So, you're telling me that the Quebec Bulldogs are now the Rangers

Closed Thread