HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Power Play

Old
01-24-2013, 10:27 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Leafs Power Play

Start off by saying I like Bozak. Solid player. Makes sense slotting between Kessel and Lupul 5 on 5 etc. but on the number one PP -- he doesn't make sense. He doesn't have an elite shot or vision/hands, or net presence.

We should see more of JVR and Kadri. Kadri is just a more dynamic offensive player and JVR is a big body with a net presence. Both also have better shots.

Pundits will say he scored last night but no one can deny the Leaf PP has looked poor up until now.

On the point it makes me wonder why Phaneuf is playing the left side when it's often recommended to play the right if you are a left handed shot. Gives you a better shooting angle.

Also haven't seen Kosta shoot much up here. Seems they always want to be setting up Phaneuf. But in the minors that was his ticket -- good, hard, accurate shot with the ability to get it to the net. Would like to see him shoot more.

With Lupes out first PP should be JVR in front with Kadri and Kessel up front. Kosta and Phaneuf both with bombs from the point.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
ryno23

I look at a guy like Nick Lidstrom. He has a good shot but why the Wings PP was go great is that he always got the puck on net and with Holmstrom in front it created havoc.

I would rather see Phaneuf take some off the shot and make sure it hits the net and not the glass behind it. Shoot for a rebound with traffic in front.

Too much passing and there is not a guy with that killer instinct like a Ovie, Kovalchuck who want to take that shot and score goals.

ryno23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I look at a guy like Nick Lidstrom. He has a good shot but why the Wings PP was go great is that he always got the puck on net and with Holmstrom in front it created havoc.

I would rather see Phaneuf take some off the shot and make sure it hits the net and not the glass behind it. Shoot for a rebound with traffic in front.

Too much passing and there is not a guy with that killer instinct like a Ovie, Kovalchuck who want to take that shot and score goals.
Kessel does need to try and take it to the net once and a while.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:47 AM
mt99808

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Start off by saying I like Bozak. Solid player. Makes sense slotting between Kessel and Lupul 5 on 5 etc. but on the number one PP -- he doesn't make sense. He doesn't have an elite shot or vision/hands, or net presence.

We should see more of JVR and Kadri. Kadri is just a more dynamic offensive player and JVR is a big body with a net presence. Both also have better shots.

Pundits will say he scored last night but no one can deny the Leaf PP has looked poor up until now.

On the point it makes me wonder why Phaneuf is playing the left side when it's often recommended to play the right if you are a left handed shot. Gives you a better shooting angle.

Also haven't seen Kosta shoot much up here. Seems they always want to be setting up Phaneuf. But in the minors that was his ticket -- good, hard, accurate shot with the ability to get it to the net. Would like to see him shoot more.

With Lupes out first PP should be JVR in front with Kadri and Kessel up front. Kosta and Phaneuf both with bombs from the point.
I don't get this part at all. The only advantage of playing the same side as your hand on the PP is keeping the puck in the zone. The 5 on 3's in the last 2 games were an absolute embarrassment primarily because of this. The defensemen have no time to turn their body's to get a shot off and all they end up doing is passing it back and forth.

My other issue with the power play is they absolutely cannot dump and chase when Kessel is on the ice. I don't know how many times they dumped only to have Kessel be the first person there only to have him stand and watch the d-man fire it down the ice. Let's call a spade a spade .... this guy isn't going into the corner to dig out and gain possession of a puck.

mt99808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Mac is to complacent on the PP for my liking. He parks himself somewhere and waits for a puck to land on his stick. Get in front of the net or skate *******! Bozak, well he's just not skilled enough to be out there on the PP. As an example, he sets himself up behind the net, takes a quick pass and and can't figure out what to do with it quick enough. Put it in a high % scoring area already! Instead he held onto the puck for 1 second too long and nothing comes out of it, the puck goes back to the outside..

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

The problem with the PP lies on the defense pairings they put on.

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

Bozak is there to win the faceoff.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
leafers

Gardiner should be out on the 5-3. Even though he is a bit rusty he would make an impact on the 5-3 with all the time and space.

He can make plays as well as finish with a blast.
At the moment, they have no one to RUN the powerplay, just a bunch of passes and waiting for someone to shoot it with no traffic.

Gardiner can make the PK unit move and create openings.

leafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
LEAFSIN4

I would put Phaneuf and Gardiner on the point. Kessel JVR Kadri as the forwards.

Maybe even try putting Phanuef in front of the net like Boston does with Chara

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
SteveV*

Kostka shouldn't be carrying the puck into the zone, no speed, not particularly impressed at NHL level on that score anyways.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Bozak is there to win the faceoff.
But he's on the pp all the time for almost the entire pp. Change him up after they win the faceoff. Need better net presence and better shooters out there on a 5 on 3. I'd sooner loose the draw and go back in with 5 other guys.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:33 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafers View Post
Gardiner should be out on the 5-3. Even though he is a bit rusty he would make an impact on the 5-3 with all the time and space.

He can make plays as well as finish with a blast.
At the moment, they have no one to RUN the powerplay, just a bunch of passes and waiting for someone to shoot it with no traffic.

Gardiner can make the PK unit move and create openings.
I would like to see Gardiner and Kosta eventually but not sure that would ever happen. I like Phaneuf but his shot is inaccurate.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
I would put Phaneuf and Gardiner on the point. Kessel JVR Kadri as the forwards.

Maybe even try putting Phanuef in front of the net like Boston does with Chara
Put Phaneuf in front and Lupul on the point when he comes back.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Kostka shouldn't be carrying the puck into the zone, no speed, not particularly impressed at NHL level on that score anyways.
It's tough to argue with results. The kid has 3 points in 3 games and the Leafs have let in only 5 goals. Him and Phaneuf however are the only - players on the team.

Agreed -- don't like him carrying the puck -- and if he is gonna be there he needs to shoot a lot more.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
bobbyflex

hope Carlyle works on the 5-3. Completely ineffective against both Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Maybe RC should consult with Dallas Eakins

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
IMO the PP that gives us the best chance of scoring (not including Lupul) is:

PP1:
Kessel - Kadri - JVR

Gardiner - Phaneuf

PP2:
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacA/Frattin

Kostka/Liles - Franson

Gives us a good presence in front of the net for both lines (JVR and Kuli) with a PPQB and good point shooter on each PP. Then obviously Kessel and Kadri have the most dynamic offensive poise/talent, followed by Grabovski and MacA/Frattin (If Lupul was back he'd either push JVR down to MacA/Frattin's spot or take MacA/Frattin's spot himself)

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

When Carlyle figures out the PP the Leafs would be scoring in the 1000ths!!

01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
The problem with the PP lies on the defense pairings they put on.
Granted that may be part of the problem, but I think we have more difficulty even gaining the zone, which you cannot possibly point blame at only the D-men.

We keep attempting to dump the puck in and chase it but we literally never win those puck battles and they send it right back out. We need a new strategy to gaining the zone so we can setup our play.

However, along your point, when we rarely gain the zone and start circulating the puck, nobody knows what they're doing. Everyone just keeps passing it and they're all hesitant to make any sort of play at the net. A large part of that is our D being afraid to shoot the puck. We hang onto the puck for far too long instead of attempting chances, and when we do, they aren't quick/surprising so we're getting a lot of our shots blocked (if not wide). I don't see why we don't have more one-timer passes being sent to Kessel, get the goalie moving, and let Kessel try and get a quick one off. At the very least we'd get some chances via rebounds and get the puck on net. When Kessel does get the puck he hovers around the circle a bit looking for some space but I think it'd be more effective if we started giving him one timer opportunities and have the other two forwards looking for a rebound. We need to make use of Kessel's shooting prowess.

We're just so hesitant with the puck and we end up wasting a lot of our own time in states of confusion and inaction, passing it back and forth between our back-end as if they're saying "NO YOU DO SOMETHING". It's too passive. Personally, I think the greatest problem is gaining the zone without having the puck immediately sent back to our end. But yeah, when we do gain the zone, we look lost and ineffective.

While I do think our D pairings could be improved, I think our whole setup from start to finish is really flawed. Nobody looks like they know what they're doing when we're on the powerplay.

We need to start punishing teams for taking penalties or we're not going to go very far.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post

PP1:
Kessel - Kadri - JVR

Gardiner - Phaneuf

PP2:

Kostka/Liles - Franson

Gives us a good presence in front of the net for both lines (JVR and Kuli) with a PPQB and good point shooter on each PP. Then obviously Kessel and Kadri have the most dynamic offensive poise/talent, followed by Grabovski and MacA/Frattin (If Lupul was back he'd either push JVR down to MacA/Frattin's spot or take MacA/Frattin's spot himself)
I would like to see 2 PP units and a quicker change. When one starts to click they earn more ice. Develop some urgency and competition. PP seems complacent at times. Like they think they have all day.

Last edited by birddog*: 01-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post

PP1:
Kessel - Kadri - JVR

Gardiner - Phaneuf

PP2:

Kostka/Liles - Franson

Cant afford to have Kadri on a faceoff on the top PP unit. He will probably lose that draw 8 or 9 times out of ten, and our biggest PP issue has always been entering the zone.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
DaveT83*

to echo some of the other posters above:

1. No Net Presence - this isn't a unique problem for the PP - the entire offence needs to start creating traffic. Far too easy for Goalies to see/stop pucks.

2. Phaneuf - That high/wide point shot is a big problem - gotta shoot for rebounds on the PP. Not try and pick the corner from 50 feet.

I'm starting to believe that one has a lot to do with the other ...

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post

1. No Net Presence - this isn't a unique problem for the PP - the entire offence needs to start creating traffic. Far too easy for Goalies to see/stop pucks.

2. Phaneuf - That high/wide point shot is a big problem - gotta shoot for rebounds on the PP. Not try and pick the corner from 50 feet.

Why not put Phaneuf in front of the net? Use Franson for his slapshot

LEAFSIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post

Lupul might not be in front of the net when he gets back.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:12 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
Why not put Phaneuf in front of the net? Use Franson for his slapshot
I remember Wilson doing this quite a bit. Its worth a shot - But I remember Dion getting caught up ice - he's not the fastest skater - and a lot of odd man rushes against us on the PP were the end result. I think it would be better overall to just have a talk with Dion - and explain to him that all he's doing is A) Putting our players in danger ... and B) 9 times out of ten giving up possession of the puck without even a shot on net.

He just needs to keep the puck a foot off the ice. It'll hit a leg/a stick/a foot - and a juicy rebound will be available for ??? to crash it in.

Franson should be our 2nd PP unit big shot. Perfect shot for a PP - low - acurate.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Lupul might not be in front of the net when he gets back.
Can't blame him - or the others - Dion is a wild man. Could take someones head off next.

Now that I think about it it could be that Dion see's that there is no traffic - so he's overcompensating - trying to cherry pick a corner thinking thats the only way he can beat these elite tenders ...

Both problems are glaring and should be addressed.

Possession/Entry/Puck Movement all look sound.