HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Rangers MUST sign Arnott

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 08:19 AM
cwgatti

vCash: 500
NY Rangers MUST sign Arnott

The NY Rangers won their first game last night, but the lack of depth up front has been exposed these 3 games. The only drawback to the Nash trade has reared its ugly head.

I think the NYR should sign Arnott ASAP, move Boyle to the 4th line, and waive or trade Halpern. Kreider is coming back to earth, and to play this kid with waning confidence would be a disater.

Get it done Sather, today.

Thoughts?

Last edited by caley: 01-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

My first thought is that Boyle is better than Arnott.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Arnott would be a good fit, though I wouldn't be too surprised if Colorado snaps him up first.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:40 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatti View Post
The NY Rangers won their first game last night, but the lack of depth up front has been exposed these 3 games. The only drawback to the Nash trade has reared its ugly head.

I think the NYR should sign Arnott ASAP, move Boyle to the 4th line, and waive or trade Halpern. Kreider is coming back to earth, and to play this kid with waning confidence would be a disater.

Thoughts?
I think you are right about Kreider, and the fact the Rangers might need more forward depth.

Has Halpern become that bad? Do not watch a lot of the Rangers, but will admit he was invisible last night against BOS. I remember him on the Habs and being a great 3/4 line tweener.

I'm sure Arnott could work.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:45 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Don't the Rangers have enoughed aged vets that can barely skate in their bottom 6?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:47 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Arnott doesn't have the legs to play a 200 foot game anymore. I'm not even sure he can play a 150 foot game.

He can still act as a trigger-man on a PP, and defend the cycle adequately in his own zone, but that's about it. If you want anything else from him, or expect him to fill more than 4th line minutes, you're going to be disappointed.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:49 AM
cwgatti

I am thinking Arnott could be the 3rd line Center. Boyle belongs on the 4th line and have PK duties. He is that limited.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I am thinking Arnott could be the 3rd line Center. Boyle belongs on the 4th line and have PK duties. He is that limited.
What makes you think that?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Don't the Rangers have enoughed aged vets that can barely skate in their bottom 6?
This. Boyle is fine as a 3rd line C. Call up Mashed Potatoes, aka Mashinter. He's big, strong, can fight and has decent hands. Perfect bottom 6er. Cheap and young as well. Enough with the old punching bags.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Rangerboy030

I'd rather Sather sign Langkow to be honest.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
What makes you think that?
Because his name isn't Brian Boyle, and that's all that matters to some people around here. Typically the ones who have no idea what they're talking about.

Boyle is just fine as a 3rd line C. Matches up well as a shutdown presence and is versatile enough to fill some other roles if necessary. Would more offense be nice? Sure, but that's the price you pay for having $26MM+ invested in your first line and your goalie.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Because his name isn't Brian Boyle, and that's all that matters to some people around here. Typically the ones who have no idea what they're talking about.

Boyle is just fine as a 3rd line C. Matches up well as a shutdown presence and is versatile enough to fill some other roles if necessary. Would more offense be nice? Sure, but that's the price you pay for having $26MM+ invested in your first line and your goalie.
Gotcha.

Sadly, Arnott isn't going to add anything to the Ranger's offense. Heck, Boyle outscored Arnott at ES last year in spite of playing much harder minutes (in terms of defensive zone start%), against much harder competition. I watched every game Arnott played, and trust me when I say that wasn't a fluke.

As far as the PP goes, Arnott is basically only useful ripping pucks from the left wall or left point. He really doesn't offer any creativity at all from either position. Who's he going to offer an upgrade over on the Ranger's current units? He would either be poorly fit into another role, or (more likely) not used at all, IMO.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 446
Quote:

Boyle is just fine as a 3rd line C. Matches up well as a shutdown presence and is versatile enough to fill some other roles if necessary.
But how is Boyle as a 2nd line center if Richards or Stepan become injured? How is Halpern as a 3rd line center behind Boyle as a 2nd line center should an injury take place.

I don't see any point in Arnott as he is pretty much done, but I think the Rangers will seek some center who can play on a scoring line even if it does knock Boyle down to his more natural 4th line spot when everyone is healthy.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Vitto79

If Kreider goes down which it looks like he is then Arnott makes alot of sense

Ferriero is a good depth guy just acquired but 3rd line ? ack I dont know

Old
01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Gotcha.

Sadly, Arnott isn't going to add anything to the Ranger's offense. Heck, Boyle outscored Arnott at ES last year in spite of playing much harder minutes (in terms of defensive zone start%), against much harder competition. I watched every game Arnott played, and trust me when I say that wasn't a fluke.

As far as the PP goes, Arnott is basically only useful ripping pucks from the left wall or left point. He really doesn't offer any creativity at all from either position. Who's he going to offer an upgrade over on the Ranger's current units? He would either be poorly fit into another role, or (more likely) not used at all, IMO.
I can't deny the potential value of a trigger-man for the PP. We could certainly use a boost in that regard. However, that would likely give us a 5-forward PP, which isn't going to fly.

I really just boils down to the fact that a lot of our fanbase cannot appreciate a player that isn't lighting up the scoreboard. Unless of course that player is a goalie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
But how is Boyle as a 2nd line center if Richards or Stepan become injured? How is Halpern as a 3rd line center behind Boyle as a 2nd line center should an injury take place.

I don't see any point in Arnott as he is pretty much done, but I think the Rangers will seek some center who can play on a scoring line even if it does knock Boyle down to his more natural 4th line spot when everyone is healthy.
What's natural about him being a 4th line center when he spent the last two years as a #3? He's just fine in the role he plays. Is he ideal as a Stepan replacement if there's an injury? No, but not many teams have a 3rd line C who can double as a 2nd line center, unless they're sacrificing depth somewhere else.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:33 AM
CaptainCally

Quote:

We don't want Connolly... so stop pushing him onto us. Keep him.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
What's natural about him being a 4th line center when he spent the last two years as a #3? He's just fine in the role he plays. Is he ideal as a Stepan replacement if there's an injury? No, but not many teams have a 3rd line C who can double as a 2nd line center, unless they're sacrificing depth somewhere else.
Boyle does not have the skating or the hands to be a scoring line center. With the strong top 6 the Rangers have Boyle is an adequate 3rd line center but should either Richards or Stepan become injured, the Rangers have issues.

Having just two scoring line NHL centers with no one who even has a hope of moving up the line-up and playing well in that role is not ideal.

Many of the top contenders do have 3rd line centers who can move up to a scoring line need be, the closest the Rangers have is Boyle and Halpern. Maybe Miller but he's probably not ready.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
We don't want Connolly... so stop pushing him onto us. Keep him.
Has noting to do with Connolly other than he is center who can actually play in a scoring line center role. Arnott could a couple years ago, yes I know he had some points last year. Moore would even be an option if he wanted to play.

I know it's difficult to look past Richards and Stepan as they do pretty much fit their roles as the top 2 centers, but the Rangers need some depth at center, preferably someone who could move up the line-up and not look like Bickel does on D, or on wing for that matter, or maybe he is the solution, Bickel to play center should any of the centers go down, perfect.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:48 AM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Has noting to do with Connolly other than he is center who can actually play in a scoring line center role. Arnott could a couple years ago, yes I know he had some points last year. Moore would even be an option if he wanted to play.

I know it's difficult to look past Richards and Stepan as they do pretty much fit their roles as the top 2 centers, but the Rangers need some depth at center, preferably someone who could move up the line-up and not look like Bickel does on D, or on wing for that matter, or maybe he is the solution, Bickel to play center should any of the centers go down, perfect.
First off Stepan and Richards don't get injured a lot... secondly if they did (it would probably be for a brief period of time) I'd survive with J.T Miller or Boyle in the top 6.

You forget that Rangers used to have Erik Christensen as Gaborik's C.

I don't think Richards or Stepan will get injured, not long term at least. If they do get injured Rangers will use Boyle or Miller. Or they will look for players at the deadline.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
First off Stepan and Richards don't get injured a lot... secondly if they did (it would probably be for a brief period of time) I'd survive with J.T Miller or Boyle in the top 6.

You forget that Rangers used to have Erik Christensen as Gaborik's C.

I don't think Richards or Stepan will get injured, not long term at least. If they do get injured Rangers will use Boyle or Miller. Or they will look for players at the deadline.
EC could at the very least been confused with a scoring line center had he had the mental aspects, he had the skill.

I agree Richards and Stepan do not get injured often, but it happens, better to have the option before the need so they are not trading for a huge position of weakness.

Rangers do not have much if any roster players to give up, agree?

If so, they would have to come up with a player who does not cost a roster player, nor a 1st rounder for this draft as they traded that away.

Right now players like Connolly or whomever else that is a center and can be had for lesser assets may be cheaper than they would at the deadline when competition, as well as prorated cap space increases.

A UFA makes even more sense as that would mean no assets other than a contract and cap space leaving the Rangers, but other than Arnott, Moore, there is not any.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:57 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I'd look more to a guy like Brule or Langkow than Arnott if I wanted to add depth

Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Thoughts?
Jason Arnott would have single-handedly won all three games for the NYR with his explosive sloth-like forecheck. True story.

Quote:
My first thought was, the OP clearly hasn't watched Arnott's decline over the years. He could barely skate. Ultimate traffic cone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Has Halpern become that bad? Do not watch a lot of the Rangers, but will admit he was invisible last night against BOS. I remember him on the Habs and being a great 3/4 line tweener.
Halpern's been fine. I don't think the OP's paid much attention to him. He was more noticeable in the first 2 games than last nights game. Would be nice if he starts winning more faceoffs but he hasn't been a disappointment in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I'm sure Arnott could work.
If you boost up his attributes enough, he could be a superstar. Put the acceleration and agility all the way to 99 and let him wreck havoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If Kreider goes down which it looks like he is then Arnott makes alot of sense
Arnott would never make sense. He can barely skate. The skill is still there, but he's the last guy you want in an uptempo system with Tortorella at the helm. He's not the guy you bring in to replace Boyle with, anyway. Boyle is without a doubt, superior to him.

The only Rangers fans that actually want Arnott on this team, are the ones that didn't see him play last season.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
NYR fans are too hard on Boyle as he's a good third liner , Pker ,etc

I would sign Arnott and use him 3rd line C or Wing and he will play with Boyle and Pyatt.

Kreider may get sent down soon. Ferriero was brought in for depth today

Old
01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Boyle does not have the skating or the hands to be a scoring line center. With the strong top 6 the Rangers have Boyle is an adequate 3rd line center but should either Richards or Stepan become injured, the Rangers have issues.

Having just two scoring line NHL centers with no one who even has a hope of moving up the line-up and playing well in that role is not ideal.

Many of the top contenders do have 3rd line centers who can move up to a scoring line need be, the closest the Rangers have is Boyle and Halpern. Maybe Miller but he's probably not ready.
When you're tight against the cap, you have to make sacrifices in certain areas. Because we have nearly half of our cap tied up in 4 players, we have to have some less than ideal players in the lineup. That's just how hockey works in the cap era. You can't have stellar depth at every position. It just doesn't work like that.

If someone comes along that the Rangers feel is a better option, and they can fit him under the cap, then they'll try to acquire him.

Some top contenders have a great 3rd line center that can be a top-six center if need be, but they lack depth in other areas. Pittsburgh has great strength down the wings, but if James Neal goes down, their next best winger is Chris Kunitz. Not exactly "ideal" by any means.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
You're criticizing Boyle's skating ability, yet you propose we replace him with Arnott. That's priceless. Thanks for the laugh.

Most teams in the league would have issues if their 1C or 2C got injured.

Quote:
Compare Boyle's productivity over the last 3 season's to the rest of the 3C's around the league. When you see it, you'll **** bricks.

Quote:
Maybe Petr Nedved can come to the rescue?

Closed Thread