HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Trade Kolarik to Pens for Benn Ferriero

Old
01-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Good deal. Rather have NHL depth and experience than 6 NHL games and not much to help the rangers.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Kolarik is PA Parenteau 2.0 who will never make it in the NHL IMO.

He puts up points in the AHL but that doesn't always transfer over.

For the first time in my life I trust the rangers brass to do what's right. They've built this team pretty quickly and the supplemental pieces have all been wisely chosen. If they think this is right, I approve.
I checked Google to make sure there wasn't another P.A. Parenteau. Nope, just the one that posted a mere 67 points last season.

01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

The was I see it kolarik was a top 6 or bust kind of guy and I don't see that coming from him, and ferriero can play a bottom 6 role, and has nhl experience I really don't think kolarik is going to amount to anything and ferriero is a better depth option having some experience under his belt.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Pizza

Part of a larger equation I suspect. Rangers need younger depth they like. Kreider needs LOTS of work and time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Kolarik is PA Parenteau 2.0 who will never make it in the NHL IMO.

He puts up points in the AHL but that doesn't always transfer over.

For the first time in my life I trust the rangers brass to do what's right. They've built this team pretty quickly and the supplemental pieces have all been wisely chosen. If they think this is right, I approve.
The Parenteau that's put up 120 points over the past two seasons in the NHL, yea his game never transferred

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Also of note, Ferriero was in the SJ system. So was Mashinter. Coincidence? Did they play together?
Generally, no, they did not.

Ferriero was just about always a 1st line player here while Mashinter topped out on the 2nd line. They didn't play on the PP together either.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Ferriero doesn't have what I would consider the "normal" 4th line skill set. He's a scoring forward with moderate play making abilities that will excel with other like players. He can play center but does most of his "damage" as a right winger. Here in Worcester it was not uncommon for Ferriero to take an offensive draw and then switch to RW as the play went on.

He's not the best back checker in the world but he's also far from the worst. He killed penalties here in Worcester (we had four great PKers here so saying he was in the 3rd pairing isn't a slight) but I suspect that's not something he would do at the NHL level.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Thank you for the reports, 210. Appreciated.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Wow, I can't believe people are upset about this and still think Kolarik is going to be something. He's 27 years old. We were going to invite a virtual unknown young player in Hrivik to camp. Did we invite Kolarik to camp? The kid is probably never going to play as many NHL games in his life as Ferriero already has.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

He did play on the same team as Brian Boyle at school. Does anyone know if they were on the same line or if they had chemistry?? Maybe he will be on Boyle's line if he ever gets called up.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
FACEOFFS

Beginning and end of.

It's the biggest problem in this organization right now
He's won 8 of 27 faceoffs at the NHL level, so I hope that's not their primary reasoning.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
We were going to invite a virtual unknown young player in Hrivik to camp..
Just because someone is unknown to fans, doesn't mean he's unknown to the organization. You know what Kreider did in the NHL last playoffs that sent everyone giddy? Well, Hrivik was twice as important for Hartford in the same playoffs, scoring 9 points in 9 games, five of them goals. And whereas Kreider started the season poorly in both Hartford and New York, Hrivik was proving himself a very capable AHL first liner.

This whole forum would break into a mass celebration if Miller had been called up, but Miller is easily two steps behind Hrivik, who actually looks decently polished and able to make decisions quick enough to play against pro players, which J.T. still cannot.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Also, Ferriero is controllable for another season, Kolarik is a UFA this summer.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:08 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Just because someone is unknown to fans, doesn't mean he's unknown to the organization. You know what Kreider did in the NHL last playoffs that sent everyone giddy? Well, Hrivik was twice as important for Hartford in the same playoffs, scoring 9 points in 9 games, five of them goals. And whereas Kreider started the season poorly in both Hartford and New York, Hrivik was proving himself a very capable AHL first liner.

This whole forum would break into a mass celebration if Miller had been called up, but Miller is easily two steps behind Hrivik, who actually looks decently polished and able to make decisions quick enough to play against pro players, which J.T. still cannot.
It's true that Hrivik isn't really an unknown in the organization, but I think that's beside the point MPF was making. Kolarik, who some people seem to have a strange fascination with, lost out on an invite to an UDFA that hadn't been in our organization for even a year. It's no knock on Hrivik, rather a sign that the organization wasn't too keen on Kolarik and what he could bring to the big club.

Correct me if I'm wrong, MPF.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Also, Ferriero is controllable for another season, Kolarik is a UFA this summer.
This, IMO, makes the deal make more sense to me.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Ferriero was really bad with Wilkes Barre this year. I'm not trying to be that guy that craps on a player when they get moved, but I'm thrilled that he's gone.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Ferriero was really bad with Wilkes Barre this year. I'm not trying to be that guy that craps on a player when they get moved, but I'm thrilled that he's gone.
Not sure why he would potentially go into the Ranger lineup then. Maybe he does start in the AHL

Kreider needs to have a good game 2nite if so.

Controlling him as an RFA for another yr is a bonus though

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Ferriero does everything Kolarik does, but he's younger and has already proven himself as a viable spare forward. High energy and isn't afraid of the dirty areas. Could be a 3rd/4th line call-up as he definitely fits the mold of this team.

I'm good with it.
Yeah, I don't think Kolarik was optimal depth line material if you get what I mean. I don't know if Ferriero is better than Kolarik. But he seems to be better suited for like 8 minutes a night type of role. I've not seen Kolarik in that role, but my guess is that he plays the game with a bit too small marginals to thrive in that role.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Also of note, Ferriero was in the SJ system. So was Mashinter. Coincidence? Did they play together?
Hehe, our scouts loves to scout in warm places...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

This entire board reads way too much into things. I'm not INSULTING Hrivik. The point is, he's a young player who still has a lot to prove and more developing to do and we thought he had a better chance of contributing on the third line than Kolarik. I wasn't slighting Hrivik. Your post is so irrelevant to the point I was making, which is that Kolarik was never going to be an NHL regular in NY... if anywhere at all.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's true that Hrivik isn't really an unknown in the organization, but I think that's beside the point MPF was making. Kolarik, who some people seem to have a strange fascination with, lost out on an invite to an UDFA that hadn't been in our organization for even a year. It's no knock on Hrivik, rather a sign that the organization wasn't too keen on Kolarik and what he could bring to the big club.

Correct me if I'm wrong, MPF.

This is exactly what I was trying to say 2k, thanks. You probably explained it much better than I did as well.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
E Nixson