HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey - Toronto

Old
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

vCash: 500
New Jersey - Toronto

NJ gives:

Henrik Tallinder + 3rd 2013
1 year remaining at $3,375,000
34 year old Top 4 veteran defender.

TOR gives:

Nikolai Kulemin
1 year remaining at $2,800,000
26 year old Top 9 winger.

New Jersey gains a youngish winger for the top three lines where depth is needed. Coming off a down year stats wise, but is good in all three zones and fills the hole left by Ponikarovsky. It is likely that at this age, Kulemin has maxed out, or is close to his potential.

Toronto gains a stable veteran two-way defender than can shore up the top 6. Is coming off a downish (unpredictable injury) year, but can be seen as a victim of New Jersey's strength in depth on the blue line. The pick adds a little sweetener considering the difference in age.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
johnny_rudeboy

So this is how it feels to be a non-Leaf fan.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:26 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
So this is how it feels to be a non-Leaf fan.
Ouch, I knew it wasn't the best proposal in the world. But that's low...

Old
01-25-2013, 08:28 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Last year Kulemin was "Parise and then NJ adds". I'm curious to see how this plays out

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:30 AM
bobbyflex

no thank you

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
NJ gives:

TOR gives:

Nikolai Kulemin

New Jersey gains a youngish winger for the top three lines where depth is needed. Coming off a down year stats wise, but is good in all three zones and fills the hole left by Ponikarovsky. It is likely that at this age, Kulemin has maxed out, or is close to his potential.

Toronto gains a stable veteran two-way defender than can shore up the top 6. Is coming off a downish (unpredictable injury) year, but can be seen as a victim of New Jersey's strength in depth on the blue line. The pick adds a little sweetener considering the difference in age.
Leafs dont need anymore d men, This trade is bad for the leafs imo

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Last year Kulemin was "Parise and then NJ adds". I'm curious to see how this plays out
Hopefully about the same as Kaberle. Fun times ahead

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
Leafs dont need anymore d men, This trade is bad for the leafs imo
I'm not so sure that the Leafs have a defensive core that is playoff worthy. Adding a player like Tallinder enables them to spread minutes more evenly and, looking at the roster, steps in as #3.

Obviously Kulemin is hot property, given the Leafs depth at forward. I think this is a decent trade for the leafs if their ambition is to make the playoffs this season.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
NJ gives:

TOR gives:

Nikolai Kulemin

Can't happen ... we all know Kulemin is going to Pittsburgh.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:47 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
NJ gives:

TOR gives:

Nikolai Kulemin

Did a NJ fan post this?

I guess the best way to make a trade proposal is overvalue your players and undervalue the ones you want to make it seem better, but really this is awful.

Tallinder is not better than Gunnar, Phaneuf, Gardiner, or probably even Kostka at this point.

Kulemin is NOT a top 9 forward, he plays excellently on our second line.

Thanks but no thanks.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Did a NJ fan post this?

I guess the best way to make a trade proposal is overvalue your players and undervalue the ones you want to make it seem better, but really this is awful.

Tallinder is not better than Gunnar, Phaneuf, Gardiner, or probably even Kostka at this point.

Kulemin is NOT a top 9 forward, he plays excellently on our second line.

Thanks but no thanks.
Tallinder is definitely better than Gunnarson, Gardiner, and Kostka. When those guys are facing top lines and starting in their defensive zone more often than not, AND coming out on top on possession, give me a ring.

Did Kulemin play "excellently" on your second line last season, with 7 goals?

Talk about overvaluing your own players and undervaluing others...

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:50 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Scratch that post. Still not interested in tallinder

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
I'm not so sure that the Leafs have a defensive core that is playoff worthy. Adding a player like Tallinder enables them to spread minutes more evenly and, looking at the roster, steps in as #3.

Obviously Kulemin is hot property, given the Leafs depth at forward. I think this is a decent trade for the leafs if their ambition is to make the playoffs this season.
The Leafs defense sucks.

Komisarek is awful, and they're relying on AHL vets like Mike Kostka to step in and play a big role.

Old
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:

nah,we will lets the kids play instead.no need for tallinder at all, rather see holzer, frasher or franson get the mins especialy at the expense of kuli

Old
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Kulemin remains an RFA at the end of this season. Hes also 26 years old. It would not be wise to trade him for a 34 y/o UFA defense man in a season that will highly unlikely yield a playoff birth.

Not to mention we have 9 defense man on the roster and will be needing to move one.

Something tells me you are not a leafs fan.
This is a much more reasonable response.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:

I really don't think adding Tallinder out of all people makes us instant playoff contenders. Just not worth it from our side. And no, Tallinder does not step in as #3.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Tallinder is definitely better than Gunnarson, Gardiner, and Kostka. When those guys are facing top lines and starting in their defensive zone more often than not, AND coming out on top on possession, give me a ring.

dude lay off the stray cats and maybe you would see the light,Taliinder isnt better then gunner. Run along home now

Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:

Seriously...

Gunnar started more defensive zone starts than Tallinder last year

And I shake my head that Kulemin has been classified as a 7 goal guy after playing four full years in the league and having scored 15, 16, and 30 goals in the years prior. You aren't being just a little bit selective in the stats you choose now are you? He currently has 3P in 4 GP while playing and excellent two way game. He isn't getting dealt, at least not for Tallinder.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I really don't think adding Tallinder out of all people makes us instant playoff contenders. Just not worth it from our side. And no, Tallinder does not step in as #3.
Agreed. I don't think he does. But he is most definitely better than the majority of defenders on the Leafs blue line. Not even sure if that's debatable. My apologies if the Leafs intend to continue building.

I don't even want to see Tallinder traded. He's a very good #4 on NJ. Problem is, so is Volchenkov, Zidlicky, Larsson and Harrold can play effective #6 minutes. Tallinder plays a skillset that can be replaced by Larsson, Greene, Fayne and to an extent Salvador.

I understand that Kulemin is highly regarded by Leafs fans. Two years off a 30 goal season. But the fact that he was 7th in TOI/G for the Leafs last season (not to mention only 7 goals) does somewhat lower his trade value.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Tallinder is a good d man, but I wouldn't move Kulemin for him. Kulemin has looked great this season on our 2nd line with Grabo, just like '10-'11. Doesn't mean he's gonna score at the same pace as that, but his quality of play has really gotten better from last year. I'm expecting 10 ish goals from him this season. He has also our best defensive forward for the past 2 years.

What I'm trying to say is that he is not expendable for us. Nonis has also said last night that he expects to make deals using dmen from our side. Dreger has said that one of Franson/Gunnarsson are being shopped. Unless you wanna do Franson for Tallinder, I doubt he comes here.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:03 AM
DoubleDose86

Quote:

See I'm on the side saing Leafs aren't there yet. So acquiring older guys (this trade, or Luongo for examples) wouldn't really help. We need a few younger guys, mid-late 20's not a 34 yr old.

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
The Leafs defense sucks.

Komisarek is awful, and they're relying on AHL vets like Mike Kostka to step in and play a big role.
Komi is good!
The biggest question we have about coach RC atm is why Komi is not playing.
Kostka is been pretty good too... just not on the PP.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:06 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose86 View Post
See I'm on the side saing Leafs aren't there yet. So acquiring older guys (this trade, or Luongo for examples) wouldn't really help. We need a few younger guys, mid-late 20's not a 34 yr old.
Fair response.

I do admit that this trade is in NJ's favour. I didn't realise that he was held in such high regard by the Leafs. A bit like Zubrus for the Devils.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
caribouPINE

Uhh, no.

Kulemin has his best years ahead of him. Tallinder has his worst.

caribouPINE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
cleaner claude

As a Devils fan Id love to see this happen. We could also send Volchenkov & a 5th for Grabo too but this is real life not EA sports.

cleaner claude is offline   Reply With Quote