HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

McBain to NYR

Old
09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

vCash: 500
McBain to NYR

This was brought up in the Rangers are looking for defenseman thread so I thought I'd make it official - McBain to NYR what would it cost? Is it even feasible?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
a lot more than Gunnarsson

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Sarcastic

A lot more than Gunnarsson and Bozak.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I'd be willing to part with Del Zotto/Kreider/Thomas for him. I see no reason why the Canes would move him though.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
What are Carolina's needs? I'd gues some NHL-caliber 3rd/2nd line depth, maybe? A player who can play with Staal?

Don't think the two are optimal trading partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I'd be willing to part with Del Zotto/Kreider/Thomas for him. I see no reason why the Canes would move him though.
You'd move Kreider to acquire McBain? Compare the Rangers' D and LW depth:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery; Kreider, Fasth

to

D: Erixon, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Sauer, McDonagh; McIlrath, Valentenko, Eminger

I'd argue that the Rangers are dealing from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength, which is not a very efficient plan when it comes to asset management.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
The ONLY reason the Canes would consider moving him (and I'm not saying they would) is if the Canes feel Faulk and/or Murphy are truly ready for the NHL. The Canes have an abundance of "offensive" defensemen in Pitkanen/Kaberle (signed for 3 years), McBain (RFA after this year), Faulk and Murphy.

The Canes "needs" are a true 2nd line center, a top 6 winger, and a "defensive" defensman who can play top 4 minutes in the next year or two.

I don't see the Rangers having a 2nd line center or top 6 winger to spare...so it would have to be a top 4 "defensive" defenseman for it to make any sense for Carolina.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
a lot more than Gunnarsson
Makes sense seeing that he's a way better player right?

Old
09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
What are Carolina's needs? I'd gues some NHL-caliber 3rd/2nd line depth, maybe? A player who can play with Staal?

Don't think the two are optimal trading partners.

You'd move Kreider to acquire McBain? Compare the Rangers' D and LW depth:

LW: Dubinsky, Wolski, Fedotenko, Rupp, Avery; Kreider, Fasth

to

D: Erixon, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Sauer, McDonagh; McIlrath, Valentenko, Eminger

I'd argue that the Rangers are dealing from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength, which is not a very efficient plan when it comes to asset management.
Value-wise, it's there. Arguing what teams would actually do on this silly forum is asinine. All about establishing value.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
The ONLY reason the Canes would consider moving him (and I'm not saying they would) is if the Canes feel Faulk and/or Murphy are truly ready for the NHL. The Canes have an abundance of "offensive" defensemen in Pitkanen/Kaberle (signed for 3 years), McBain (RFA after this year), Faulk and Murphy.

The Canes "needs" are a true 2nd line center, a top 6 winger, and a "defensive" defensman who can play top 4 minutes in the next year or two.

I don't see the Rangers having a 2nd line center or top 6 winger to spare...so it would have to be a top 4 "defensive" defenseman for it to make any sense for Carolina.
The only players that truly fit those needs from the Rangers are Stepan, Anisimov, Staal and Girardi. I think dealing any of those players for a minimal upgrade or massive downgrade in the case of Staal is an automatic no-go.

I think at the deadline if the team is playing very well and some of the younger defenseman are struggling, I'd offer a package of Christain Thomas and a 2nd Round Pick for McBain, which it seems fair value. I'm not sure if the Canes, however would be interested in adding a small (albeit skilled) winger when they already filled that role with Skinner. However I do remember seeing posts where Skinner may move to center, not sure about this hopefully a Hurricanes fan can fill me in on this. If he is moved to center, I could see interest in Christain Thomas.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:44 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
The only players that truly fit those needs from the Rangers are Stepan, Anisimov, Staal and Girardi. I think dealing any of those players for a minimal upgrade or massive downgrade in the case of Staal is an automatic no-go.

I think at the deadline if the team is playing very well and some of the younger defenseman are struggling, I'd offer a package of Christain Thomas and a 2nd Round Pick for McBain, which it seems fair value. I'm not sure if the Canes, however would be interested in adding a small (albeit skilled) winger when they already filled that role with Skinner. However I do remember seeing posts where Skinner may move to center, not sure about this hopefully a Hurricanes fan can fill me in on this. If he is moved to center, I could see interest in Christain Thomas.
Sauer and McDonagh can't play top 4 minutes as defensive d-men? They already did that last year...

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Sauer and McDonagh can't play top 4 minutes as defensive d-men? They already did that last year...
There may be some setbacks and sophomore slumps for the young defense core.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
There may be some setbacks and sophomore slumps for the young defense core.
With the style they play? I doubt it.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:55 PM
BPD

if we get mcbain we should keep mcilrath up and sign mccabe and roll with mcdefense.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:05 AM
txpd

carolina is nhl hockey on a budget. players like mcbain overperform their salary cap hits. it makes no sense for rutherford to trade him. in fact most nhl would never part with a young player with top half of the lineup ability.

you are barking up the wrong tree all together

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:14 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Stepan would be fair value, imo.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Big NO on moving Kreider.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Clipitar

The Rags really lack some pure offensive flair on their back-end.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:29 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
The Rags really lack some pure offensive flair on their back-end.
With Erixon, MDZ and Parlett(sleeper) they have some offensive d-men. However, I would move Sauer for McBain and play the (2) Wisconsin kids together (McDonagh)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
With Erixon, MDZ and Parlett(sleeper) they have some offensive d-men. However, I would move Sauer for McBain and play the (2) Wisconsin kids together (McDonagh)
I'd be on board with that. Not sure it would get it done, and I've been a Sauer supporter for years. Doesn't address the issue of the bottom pairing, but I like having a puck mover in the top-4. Especially one who isn't completely inept in his own end.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Erixon hasn't proven anything and MDZ is an average year away from being shipped out of town. They could provide that back-end offense they're currently lacking, but I would still be worried about so much uncertainty if I were a Rags fan.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Erixon hasn't proven anything and MDZ is an average year away from being shipped out of town. They could provide that back-end offense they're currently lacking, but I would still be worried about so much uncertainty if I were a Rags fan.
MDZ isn't a year from anything. He is 21.

Erixon has proven quite a bit actually playing for a few seasons in the SEL and playing in the World Championship winning Team Sweden at the end of last year.

With the amount of quality young defensemen the Rangers have, it's not exactly a source of worry for the Rangers.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Makes sense seeing that he's a way better player right?
True, but aren't the rangers just looking for a depth D man to fill in while Staal is out?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Boondock

Quote:
I'm sure you would, but why would Carolina trade the better, younger, and higher potential player? I'd think Stepan or AA would need to be in the equation for Carolina to even think about it.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
True, but aren't the rangers just looking for a depth D man to fill in while Staal is out?
Yes, but the rangers still need to add more offense overall. This would be more a long term move than a stop gap for Staal.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
McBain is a nice player, but he's not the type of player I am shipping out blue chip prospects for.

No Kreider, no Thomas.

If that means we do not get McBain, that's more than fine with me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote