Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Under The Influence of Neely

Old
01-28-2013, 11:07 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Under The Influence of Neely

I've always enjoyed the history of the game, (or history in general at that), and have been recently been roped into the All-Time Greatest Draft, something I usually wouldn't have considered but have found to be fun.

There are some very knowledgeable people over there and there's always a running commentary, much like everywhere else around these boards.

I generally like the rule of thumb where you pick strong down the middle and then work your way out with the best player available to fill out the roster, trade for specific positions later on. Being a Bruins fan comes with a prerequisite, that being we like players that bring the BANG for the buck.....in other words, if there's a choice to be made, I'll take the player with the grit over the player with the natural skill if they're close, (this is all subjective of course).

My first two picks were Scott Stevens and Ken Dryden. For my 3rd pick I wanted to go with a CTR who had the skill but with some moxie. To my horror I watched about a dozen guys that I wanted picked pretty much all in a row.

I switched tactics and whittled my next choice between 3 CTRS and 3 wingers from various eras and ultimately picked Cam Neely as my choice, someone who generally goes around the 4th round, but I wanted that pure goal scorer before I had the playmaker.

My biggest argument being not only was he BANG EM UP type player but despite not winning a Cup, his playoff numbers are spectacular, especially if you consider that it was pretty much just him, Bourque and a bunch of other guys. Depth was not the strongest in some of those teams and those that were good never really came through in the crunch when it was needed most to take the onus off him and Ray.

In a nutshell, there are only 3 other guys who have a better goals-per-game average than him and they were all picked early on.

I know I am a bit biased but I also know there was a lot about Neely that a lot of those other guys didn't see as much us some us old-timers. I watched the guy and idolized him.....there was that intangible thing that you could feel. I wanted a gunner with grit, which is what Neely is and more.

Now here's my question: The Bruins went through that hell period not too long ago and they turned it all around for any number of reasons. The arrival of Chiarelli and Claude pretty much also coincided with the arrival of Neely in a suit and tie. At first I thought it was just PR move, using the Neely growl as a figurehead but then you read about him laying down directives on what type of player a Bruin should be and what is expected of them......How much influence does Neely really have over this team?

It's really not overt and alas I don't have any type of insider info. From the first line down to the 4th, from the first blue line pairing to the 7th wheel and to the crease, there are NO shrinking violets. If you don't get your nose dirty, you ain't getting into the lineup....hell, there's even a noticeable difference in how Seguin plays.

I've always had this query in the back of my mind, can anyone enlighten me so I can justify my pick of Neely even further....plus I'm just plain curious.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I think Chia and Neely are on the same page. Chia since day 1 said he wanted a team that was tough to play against. I think Neely's place in the team's lore and current place in management helps get the point across that toughness is a major part of the team's identity. I know that Neely has worked with Lucic with his shot and often talks to him about his role on the team. I'm sure his voice is very influential among the players.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I think Chia and Neely are on the same page. Chia since day 1 said he wanted a team that was tough to play against. I think Neely's place in the team's lore and current place in management helps get the point across that toughness is a major part of the team's identity. I know that Neely has worked with Lucic with his shot and often talks to him about his role on the team. I'm sure his voice is very influential among the players.
I don't think Neely and Chia were always on the same page,and about 2 years ago Neely finally spoke up. I don't think it's set in stone what type of player Neely favors as long as they help this team. The team is made up of a variety of skill sets and can pretty much play anyway you want as long as the goaltending is sharp.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I don't think Neely and Chia were always on the same page,and about 2 years ago Neely finally spoke up. I don't think it's set in stone what type of player Neely favors as long as they help this team. The team is made up of a variety of skill sets and can pretty much play anyway you want as long as the goaltending is sharp.
Yeah but wasn't that the rap against those 70's teams? Playing anyway you want, ie...I read it as reckless and out of control at the worst possible time?

Am I mis-interpreting your analysis?

The other stat I liked about Neely was he had 78 total fights in his career.....only 3 were in the post-season so there was a fair amount of restraint used by him in terms of retaliation.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I've always enjoyed the history of the game, (or history in general at that), and have been recently been roped into the All-Time Greatest Draft, something I usually wouldn't have considered but have found to be fun.

There are some very knowledgeable people over there and there's always a running commentary, much like everywhere else around these boards.

I generally like the rule of thumb where you pick strong down the middle and then work your way out with the best player available to fill out the roster, trade for specific positions later on. Being a Bruins fan comes with a prerequisite, that being we like players that bring the BANG for the buck.....in other words, if there's a choice to be made, I'll take the player with the grit over the player with the natural skill if they're close, (this is all subjective of course).

My first two picks were Scott Stevens and Ken Dryden. For my 3rd pick I wanted to go with a CTR who had the skill but with some moxie. To my horror I watched about a dozen guys that I wanted picked pretty much all in a row.

I switched tactics and whittled my next choice between 3 CTRS and 3 wingers from various eras and ultimately picked Cam Neely as my choice, someone who generally goes around the 4th round, but I wanted that pure goal scorer before I had the playmaker.

My biggest argument being not only was he BANG EM UP type player but despite not winning a Cup, his playoff numbers are spectacular, especially if you consider that it was pretty much just him, Bourque and a bunch of other guys. Depth was not the strongest in some of those teams and those that were good never really came through in the crunch when it was needed most to take the onus off him and Ray.

In a nutshell, there are only 3 other guys who have a better goals-per-game average than him and they were all picked early on.

I know I am a bit biased but I also know there was a lot about Neely that a lot of those other guys didn't see as much us some us old-timers. I watched the guy and idolized him.....there was that intangible thing that you could feel. I wanted a gunner with grit, which is what Neely is and more.

Now here's my question: The Bruins went through that hell period not too long ago and they turned it all around for any number of reasons. The arrival of Chiarelli and Claude pretty much also coincided with the arrival of Neely in a suit and tie. At first I thought it was just PR move, using the Neely growl as a figurehead but then you read about him laying down directives on what type of player a Bruin should be and what is expected of them......How much influence does Neely really have over this team?

It's really not overt and alas I don't have any type of insider info. From the first line down to the 4th, from the first blue line pairing to the 7th wheel and to the crease, there are NO shrinking violets. If you don't get your nose dirty, you ain't getting into the lineup....hell, there's even a noticeable difference in how Seguin plays.

I've always had this query in the back of my mind, can anyone enlighten me so I can justify my pick of Neely even further....plus I'm just plain curious.
I am a huge Neely fan as a player and a person. I happened to sit on an aisle seat on a very empty flight from DC to Boston while he was rehabbing from his thigh injury and had a chance to speak with him for a long time. What a nice guy -- interesting to talk to and he was interested in what I did and why I was traveling, etc. Just a very down to earth guy with ample humility. As far was what he has done for charities and the Neely House in particular, well not much needs to be said.

That said, as I watch clips of him watching games in the Bruins box with the same sort of intensity with which he played, I cannot help but think that any Boston player pretty much knows he's got to work hard, care, and deliver the goods or face the scorn of Neely. I cannot imaging it doesn't/hasn't made a huge difference in the compete level and success of today's Boston Bruins.

You made an EXCELLENT pick!

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I wonder if it was Neely's influence that kept Looch from throwing down with that goon last year. Can't remember who it was but it created a furor of postings on how he only picks and chooses his partners. Again, why go off the ice at the hands of a 4th line goon when you're a first liner? This was something Milbury drilled into Neely.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I am a huge Neely fan as a player and a person. I happened to sit on an aisle seat on a very empty flight from DC to Boston while he was rehabbing from his thigh injury and had a chance to speak with him for a long time. What a nice guy -- interesting to talk to and he was interested in what I did and why I was traveling, etc. Just a very down to earth guy with ample humility. As far was what he has done for charities and the Neely House in particular, well not much needs to be said.

That said, as I watch clips of him watching games in the Bruins box with the same sort of intensity with which he played, I cannot help but think that any Boston player pretty much knows he's got to work hard, care, and deliver the goods or face the scorn of Neely. I cannot imaging it doesn't/hasn't made a huge difference in the compete level and success of today's Boston Bruins.

You made an EXCELLENT pick!
Yeah, this was my thinking too.....we get to see him more around here than other folks did and/or do. It's that ubiquitous intangible thingy that's hard to define.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Yeah but wasn't that the rap against those 70's teams? Playing anyway you want, ie...I read it as reckless and out of control at the worst possible time?

Am I mis-interpreting your analysis?

The other stat I liked about Neely was he had 78 total fights in his career.....only 3 were in the post-season so there was a fair amount of restraint used by him in terms of retaliation.
I always think of the Oilers,Islanders,Canadiens and Red Wings. Teams loaded with talent that could dominate the rough stuff too. They could dictate tempo or respond to the opponent's tempo. They could beat you anyway you want it. Something else those teams had was elite goaltending and the best players in the league.

As for Neely the player it was a tale of 2 careers. There was the banging,bruising Neely we all loved and then there was the second career where he played like a Brett Hull clone-and heard it from O'Reilly.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
ODAAT

Biggest key, and IMO the reason why this organization has been successful is that it appears both Chia and Cam have no grey area in regards to a belief in continuity and the style they want this team to play and for those not willing or incapable of playing that style (yeah, I`m talking about you #81) they quickly find themselves elsewhere.

Both Cam and Chia have also brought relevance and respect back to an organization that was irrelevant, as much as it pains this fan to say, not that long ago. This team had no identity, it consistently neglected anything remotely to do with it`s development program with the PB`s, they treated their players like mud etc...

It never stops amazing me everytime I see yet another Bruin sign on for an extension, man how times have changed. And I`ve heard a guy like Aaron Ward post career mention just how much respect the organization, top to bottom, treats their players with, again, times have changed.

Having no clue about other GM`s/Owners but I suspect if asked about whom they admire in regards to the model they have put together, these two are in the conversation for most.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:23 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
http://www.csnne.com/12/16/10/Mornin...43&feedID=3944

The catalyst in our Cup run...It began here...

BURLINGTON, VT – Interesting interview with Bruins President Cam Neely on WAAF with Greg Hill and former Bruins enforcer Lyndon Byers this morning. Neely sounded miffed with the entire game against the Sabres at HSBC Arena – and rightfully so – actually wouldn’t address the healthy scratch of Tyler Seguin.

Neely said flatly of scratching Seguin: “Coach’s decision. You’ll have to ask the coach.”

Several times Neely harkened back to a B’s playing style that hasn’t exactly been lighting up the scoreboard lately, and the importance their defensive system places on scoring during the power play: “Goals against isn’t an issue. Goals for is an issue. The power play is an issue. I think the name of the game is that you still have to score one more goal than the other team. It’s not about trying to win 0-0.”

Funny, two years and one month later, the PP is still an issue!

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

BURLINGTON, VT – Interesting interview with Bruins President Cam Neely on WAAF with Greg Hill and former Bruins enforcer Lyndon Byers this morning. Neely sounded miffed with the entire game against the Sabres at HSBC Arena – and rightfully so – actually wouldn’t address the healthy scratch of Tyler Seguin.

Neely said flatly of scratching Seguin: “Coach’s decision. You’ll have to ask the coach.”

Several times Neely harkened back to a B’s playing style that hasn’t exactly been lighting up the scoreboard lately, and the importance their defensive system places on scoring during the power play: “Goals against isn’t an issue. Goals for is an issue. The power play is an issue. I think the name of the game is that you still have to score one more goal than the other team. It’s not about trying to win 0-0.”

Think it has to do something with Clodes overall system/approach and perhaps guys aren't told to take too many risks on the PP to make sure they aren't burned for a shorthanded goal?... or what are your feelings why it hasn't changed in that time though it's consistently expressed?

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

Can't remember if this is the conversation I was referring to in the fall or mid winter of 2010-11. The feeling was that the Bruins organization was divided,Chia firmly behind Claude and Neely lamenting the defense first uninspired offensive attack. Soon after,the defense began getting a lot more involved offensively.

Even during the Savard years,the PP was ranked 16th or lower except for 1 year when it was 4th.

Last edited by BNHL: 01-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Think it has to do something with Clodes overall system/approach and perhaps guys aren't told to take too many risks on the PP to make sure they aren't burned for a shorthanded goal?... or what are your feelings why it hasn't changed in that time though it's consistently expressed?
Not sure but good questions... I always attribute it to the fact our top line guys aren't "out of this world overly skilled O players". Seguin has the potential to be lethal on the PP however...they need to move him around like the Bolts do Stamkos. They also need to move the puck more period..watching San Jose or Pittsburgh, you can see what the world class gusy can do with space. ...The shot from the point is good, when used sparingly..we really on it way to much.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Neely08

I don't remember hearing a/b things like - no one steps on that carpeted spoked B in the locker room - before Neely came back.

Before that, they were passing around roadkill trying to find their identity. The next time you watch the B's have their banner presentation, and Brickley introduces Cam. Watch the B's players while Cam is speaking, especially Chara. They're hanging on his every word, and the amount of respect they have for the man is plainly obvious. Who wouldn't?

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Bri

In my mind, Neely absolutely makes a huge impact on this team and was key in their winning the Cup. When Jeremy or Charlie Jacobs are your top guys well, who's going to be inspired by that? Are they the guys you want setting the tone for the org? They can talk about "what it means to be a Bruin" all they want, but the perception around the league (and thus amongst the players) is that all JJ cares about is the bottom line. (Whether you agree that that perception is accurate or not is irrelevant.)

When you have Neely at the top talking about what it means to be a Bruin? Well, it's a different story altogether. I believe Neely helped reestablish a Bruin identity and attitude amongst the players. You look at the Cup run...yeah, there were some breaks here and there, and yeah, Thomas stood on his head, but the team overcame a lot of adversity and persevered...they never quit. Sounds like Cam to me. He was key and there is no doubt in my mind on this one.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I always think of the Oilers,Islanders,Canadiens and Red Wings. Teams loaded with talent that could dominate the rough stuff too. They could dictate tempo or respond to the opponent's tempo. They could beat you anyway you want it. Something else those teams had was elite goaltending and the best players in the league.

As for Neely the player it was a tale of 2 careers. There was the banging,bruising Neely we all loved and then there was the second career where he played like a Brett Hull clone-and heard it from O'Reilly.
You call it "Brett Hull clone", I call it playing on one leg and still carrying the team. And, scoring 50 goals in 44 games while doing it, while not even being able to play back to back games. By then it was coach Suter if I remember. O'Rielly was coach 86 thru 89, a period where no one had to remind Cam to play physical, as he was one of the most feared hitters in the game, period.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
You call it "Brett Hull clone", I call it playing on one leg and still carrying the team. And, scoring 50 goals in 44 games while doing it, while not even being able to play back to back games. By then it was coach Suter if I remember. O'Rielly was coach 86 thru 89, a period where no one had to remind Cam to play physical, as he was one of the most feared hitters in the game, period.
I'm making it up.