HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranking On Roster Forwards #5

View Poll Results: Who Is Our Number #5 Forward
Beau Bennett 0 0%
Joe Blandisi 0 0%
Reid Boucher 0 0%
Vernon Fiddler 1 2.44%
Jacob Josefson 0 0%
Sergey Kalinin 0 0%
Devante Smith-Pelly 0 0%
Pavel Zacha 5 12.20%
Travis Zajac 35 85.37%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-29-2016, 08:17 AM
DanteDevilsHockey

vCash: 500
Ranking On Roster Forwards #5

As expected Kyle Palmieri took the no.4 spot on the Forward Ranking Depth Chart.

Once we wrap up the top 5 things should be getting interesting.

Current List
1. Hall
2. Cammalleri
3. Henrique
4. Palmieri

DanteDevilsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Voted Zacha. Think he's going to show some serious talent this year.

ForeverJerseyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 08:34 AM
MadDog172430
The Best of All Time

Trav Trav

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 09:22 AM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Zajac. Only guy on this team that can win a friggin faceoff.

Aside from Fiddler.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Maine Fan

Zajac, He is number 5

Maine Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 10:54 AM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
It will get really interesting after this one.

Devil X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 12:52 PM
VoidCreature
Divide By Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverJerseyGirl View Post
Voted Zacha. Think he's going to show some serious talent this year.
Looks like you and me are the only ones.

VoidCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 01:09 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidCreature View Post
Looks like you and me are the only ones.
Well, at least we aren't alone.

Old
08-29-2016, 02:31 PM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
It will get really interesting after this one.
I'll create extra accounts if I have to. Whatever it takes to ensure Josefson is last.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 02:35 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
I'll create extra accounts if I have to. Whatever it takes to ensure Josefson is last.
I approve this post.

Old
08-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Quote:
I approve this post.
I call a rigged voting system if he's not last.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
I love Josefson, but I don't see any way how he ends up in last. Luke Gazdic should be in this poll in my opinion and he is easily the worst forward on the roster in that case. Josefson might have a bit of an edge on Kalinin in terms of usefulness though.

That being said, if Josefson is one of our worst forward, that will be a very good sign as far as forward depth goes.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Nubmer6

Send a message via ICQ to Nubmer6
If I hadn't voted yet, I would have picked Josefson instead of Zajac, just based on the last 3 posts

Nubmer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I love Josefson, but I don't see any way how he ends up in last. Luke Gazdic should be in this poll in my opinion and he is easily the worst forward on the roster in that case. Josefson might have a bit of an edge on Kalinin in terms of usefulness though.

That being said, if Josefson is one of our worst forward, that will be a very good sign as far as forward depth goes.
I was going to say "If Gazdic was in this poll, Josefson probably wouldn't come in last.

I certainly could justify Josefson over Kalinin, but I'd probably give it to Kalinin because I'd sooner give him the benefit of the doubt on improving from last year. First year in North America and in the league, whereas Josefson hasn't improved at offense at all, year after year.

Old
08-29-2016, 04:51 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

I think Luke Gadzic is probably in the AHL, which is likely why he's not in this poll. JJ might be better than Gadzic, but since Gadzic isn't an option, JJ is easily the worst in my opinion. And he was one of our worst forwards last season, too, so that doesn't mean our depth is amazing. It just means JJ isn't a good NHL player. Lest we forget how bad JJ is: Gionta gave him a pity head pat this season on Marty night. You know you are bad at NHL hockey when Gionta feels sorry for you.

Old
08-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
I think Luke Gadzic is probably in the AHL, which is likely why he's not in this poll. JJ might be better than Gadzic, but since Gadzic isn't an option, JJ is easily the worst in my opinion. And he was one of our worst forwards last season, too, so that doesn't mean our depth is amazing. It just means JJ isn't a good NHL player. Lest we forget how bad JJ is: Gionta gave him a pity head pat this season on Marty night. You know you are bad at NHL hockey when Gionta feels sorry for you.
I don't even think he was one of our worst forwards last year, just because of how many bums played in the bottom 6.

But considering his time on ice, he probably passes the worst per minute test. We did have Tootoo, Ruutu, Gionta and a couple others that were certainly worse. But Gionta was never playing the 3rd line center role either.

Luckily we've taken out the trash on the rest of them.

Tlusty may have actually had the lowest point per 60, when adjusted for games played. He only played 30 games but was in the top 6/9 the entire time and only scored 4 points.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:01 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I don't even think he was one of our worst forwards last year, just because of how many bums played in the bottom 6.

But considering his time on ice, he probably passes the worst per minute test. We did have Tootoo, Ruutu, Gionta and a couple others that were certainly worse. But Gionta was never playing the 3rd line center role either.

Luckily we've taken out the trash on the rest of them.

Tlusty may have actually had the lowest point per 60, when adjusted for games played. He only played 30 games but was in the top 6/9 the entire time and only scored 4 points.
Thing with JJ is he doesn't look bad, but he never produces, and with the amount of ice time he was getting (and he also got good line mates at the beginning of the season, and failed at doing anything with the opportunity) something more than his paltry four goals was expected. JJ might have been marginally better than players everyone agrees weren't NHL caliber at all, which makes him what--borderline an NHLer, I guess. Having a borderline NHLer as one of your worst forwards doesn't make our depth great, yet somehow around here, JJ is a golden standard fourth liner. That is a theory I object to most strenuously. At best JJ is a functional fourth liner.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:06 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Thing with JJ is he doesn't look bad, but he never produces, and with the amount of ice time he was getting (and he also got good line mates at the beginning of the season, and failed at doing anything with the opportunity) something more than his paltry four goals was expected. JJ might have been marginally better than players everyone agrees weren't NHL caliber at all, which makes him what--borderline an NHLer, I guess. Having a borderline NHLer as one of your worst forwards doesn't make our depth great, yet somehow around here, JJ is a golden standard fourth liner. That is a theory I object to most strenuously. At best JJ is a functional fourth liner.
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. I'm still annoyed that he got a 40% raise and Boucher got $750k and a two way way deal. The money is no problem, but a 40% raise screams a vote of confidence to me. This to me signals they might like him more than we do and I wouldn't be surprised if he at least starts the season as the 3rd line center.

I personally think that he suffered from bad luck at even strength last year, only it was made up by him overachieving in production on the power play. That was the percentages evening out. I think he'll score more at even strength this season, but less on the power play. Thus continuing to be the same player that struggles to break 20 points per 82 games.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

And on Gazdic, I feel like he'll be on the NHL team. Which I have no problem with as long as he isn't forced into the lineup every night, like Tootoo last year.

If he's played like Farnham last year, I feel that's alright. Although I'd prefer if he played even less than Farnham. Farnham probably played more than he hopefully otherwise would have, due to scoring almost half of the total goals from out bottom 6 last year.

I've read that Gazdic isn't a horrible possession player, so I'm okay with him in very small doses. I'd very much like it if goons were banned from the NHL (not fighting but just useless one dimensional facepunchers) once and for all, if I had my choice. They are disappearing one by one over the last 4 or 5 seasons alone, but there's still 10-12 teams that insist on having a fighter of some kind on the NHL roster, and we might unfortunately still be one of them. But I think the fact that Tootoo and Farnham are gone, only increases our chances of keeping him on the NHL roster.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:24 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. I'm still annoyed that he got a 40% raise and Boucher got $750k and a two way way deal. The money is no problem, but a 40% raise screams a vote of confidence to me. This to me signals they might like him more than we do and I wouldn't be surprised if he at least starts the season as the 3rd line center.

I personally think that he suffered from bad luck at even strength last year, only it was made up by him overachieving in production on the power play. That was the percentages evening out. I think he'll score more at even strength this season, but less on the power play. Thus continuing to be the same player that struggles to break 20 points per 82 games.
I think we have pretty similar opinions on JJ's overall usefulness (or lack thereof, really) to this team as a hockey player, so no worries there, and you make good points about the percentages evening out where JJ is concerned.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:35 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
I think we have pretty similar opinions on JJ's overall usefulness (or lack thereof, really) to this team as a hockey player, so no worries there, and you make good points about the percentages evening out where JJ is concerned.
I could only hope this is the last year we see him as a Devil and someone pushes him out of this spot.

Of course, I would welcome him sticking around for a long time in a role that was exactly like Gionta's last season. But out of all the fringe and borderline carryovers from Lou, he seems to be the one that's gotten the longest leash and been kept around. Whereas the other guys have walked the plank on out of here this offseason. I'm not arguing against us bringing him back this season, but the significant raise heavily hints at a vote of confidence from Shero and company.

Although we could be sitting here in a couple weeks and see that Gionta was re-signed or given a PTO.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
5-on-5, yes he could be considered a 'functional' fourth liner, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

However, when you consider he can play the PP, PK, and is exceptional in the shootout, wouldn't that make him a valuable fourth liner?

Old
08-29-2016, 05:54 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
I could only hope this is the last year we see him as a Devil and someone pushes him out of this spot.

Of course, I would welcome him sticking around for a long time in a role that was exactly like Gionta's last season. But out of all the fringe and borderline carryovers from Lou, he seems to be the one that's gotten the longest leash and been kept around. Whereas the other guys have walked the plank on out of here this offseason. I'm not arguing against us bringing him back this season, but the significant raise heavily hints at a vote of confidence from Shero and company.

Although we could be sitting here in a couple weeks and see that Gionta was re-signed or given a PTO.
One of the few issues I had with Hynes last season was that I felt he overused Josefson, especially at the beginning of the year. I thought he cut back a bit by the end of last season, which I thought was a sign that he had seen the light with regard to JJ. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that is the case, but the new raise could be an ominous sign about JJ being overvalued by Devils management and coaching staff. Only time will tell, but if JJ has another season of substandard production, I hope I don't have to hear complaints about his line mates or about him not getting enough opportunities when if anything he's gotten too many.

Old
08-29-2016, 05:57 PM
ForeverJerseyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
5-on-5, yes he could be considered a 'functional' fourth liner, although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

However, when you consider he can play the PP, PK, and is exceptional in the shootout, wouldn't that make him a valuable fourth liner?
A functional fourth liner meaning one you'd see on every NHL team. Not anything special, and no I really don't see JJ as particularly valuable. Best thing that can be said about him is that he's not as bad as some of the absolutely not NHL players that we've had come through this organization the past few years, but that's a low barometer to set.

Old
08-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
A functional fourth liner meaning one you'd see on every NHL team. Not anything special, and no I really don't see JJ as particularly valuable. Best thing that can be said about him is that he's not as bad as some of the absolutely not NHL players that we've had come through this organization the past few years, but that's a low barometer to set.
That's entirely fair.

How many of those fourth liners you see on every team can play PP, PK, and have a shootout rate over 50%?

I'll leave it at that as to not derail the thread.