HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs playing well? or playing bad teams?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
  #1
tobra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Leafs playing well? or playing bad teams?

Leafs playing well? or playing bad teams?

I want to see what happens when we play Carolina, Boston again. We have been playing teams are not doing well. And with shorten season we get to keep playing them..

tobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:38 PM
  #2
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Leafs aren't even close to being full 100%. Wait until the injured bodies come back, what they are doing right now is VERY impressive.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:39 PM
  #3
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
We've played the entire Eastern conference minus New Jersey. The East overall has not been good this year.

It is the way is, the Leafs aren't secretly benefiting somehow, every other Eastern team is playing the same teams.

I can't wait until some advanced stats nerd comes in with PDO and fenwick numbers to tell me that the Leafs actually suck and will crash and burn.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:39 PM
  #4
Blue n White Blood
Registered User
 
Blue n White Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
why can't it be both?

Blue n White Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
  #5
Egoclapper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
We've played the entire Eastern conference minus New Jersey. The East overall has not been good this year.

It is the way is, the Leafs aren't secretly benefitting somehow, every other Eastern team is playing the same teams.

I can't wait until some advanced stats nerd comes in with PDO and fenwick numbers to tell me that the Leafs actually suck and will crash and burn.
What?

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
  #6
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
We beat:

MTL: 2-1
MTL: 6-0
PIT: 5-2
OTT: 3-0

Routed the Flyers 5-2 as well, and I don't see them as a really bad team tbh. We also beat a Buffalo team earlier this year that wasn't bad yet. Some may argue that the Caps weren't a bad team yet when we beat them in January either. We've beaten some good teams and beaten teams that we "should" beat.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
  #7
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Lots and lots of bad teams.

The East has lots of bad teams this year.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
  #8
ungentrified
Registered User
 
ungentrified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
The Leafs are playing well, and in the least are beating "bad" teams that have given them trouble in the past. One could also easily apply your argument to the Canadiens as well, since they also have been playing bad teams and are doing so mostly at home too.

ungentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:41 PM
  #9
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
What?
It's advanced stats that nerds use to try and prove that good teams are somehow bad. I'm not saying that they're useless, because they do have some merit, but it annoys me when people obsess over it and try to definitively say that one team is bad because of that.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
  #10
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,682
vCash: 500
Or perhaps the Leafs are actually a reasonably good team. Brutal schedule so far no matter whom they have played.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  #11
Slapshot17
Registered User
 
Slapshot17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prince George
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Can't wait until we get Reimer, Frattin & Lupul back to see what this team can really do.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  #12
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
It's advanced stats that nerds use to try and prove that good teams are somehow bad. I'm not saying that they're useless, because they do have some merit, but it annoys me when people obsess over it and try to definitively say that one team is bad because of that.
There's no such thing as advanced stats.

It's a myth.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:45 PM
  #13
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
Can't wait until we get Reimer, Frattin & Lupul back to see what this team can really do.
Agreed..this team has more to show and has a good chance to fight for a playoff position.

Having two legitimate scoring lines and continued success on special teams will result in the Leafs making the playoffs IMO

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:52 PM
  #14
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
It's advanced stats that nerds use to try and prove that good teams are somehow bad. I'm not saying that they're useless, because they do have some merit, but it annoys me when people obsess over it and try to definitively say that one team is bad because of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
There's no such thing as advanced stats.

It's a myth.
Oh you crazy kids

















7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
  #15
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 566
Leafs are making good teams look bad.

ie. Montreal! Who runs up the score on Carey Price?

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:55 PM
  #16
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats
 
leafs1habs0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Definitely playing well, but bad teams or not, just win baby.

That's all that matters - no one cares how you got to the dance, just that you made it in.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:56 PM
  #17
Quarter
Nullius in verba
 
Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPwnage View Post
why can't it be both?
Seriously.

Quarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
  #18
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Oh you crazy kids
Advanced stats are anything but.

I'd call them...amateur stats...because that's what they are: amateur stats floating around the internet invented by a nobody who obviously fails to understand hockey. Id be very surprised if they were utilized by even a single pro hockey team.

Much more effective to just pay people who know what they are watching on the ice to make the correct evaluations.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 11:58 PM
  #19
I am Canadian
Have faith.
 
I am Canadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
We're playing solid hockey.

Not many blown leads. In my opinion is completely from changing coaching staffs.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
  #20
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
We're playing solid hockey.

Not many blown leads. In my opinion is completely from changing coaching staffs.
Yup. Just those two against NYI/NYR ... if only we could've held on or even got loser points out of those games We'd be even higher.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:04 AM
  #21
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Yup. Just those two against NYI/NYR ... if only we could've held on or even got loser points out of those games We'd be even higher.
We also were lucky in Winnipeg. It goes both ways.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:11 AM
  #22
Disgruntled Observer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Last year the leafs had just as many points after this many games.

I took a lot of flack fom the usual suspects for having the audacity to correctly point out that the leafs success wont last. Unproven goaltending, terrible special teams, and limited scoring depth were my main criticisms.

And then the leafs fell apart in the precise ways that us leaf fan realists (and th facts that we cited) said they would. We have an uncanny ability of being correct about this team the vast majority of the time, for the simple reason that we don't allow "homerism" biases to get in the way of our educated opinions.

So I will admit right now... whil the leafs have 22 points after 18 games (same as last year) that they are much more of the real deal this season.

Their special teams are starting to come together, they have consistent scoring from three different lines (including the slumping grabo line) and seem to play a better overall team defense.

Goaltending is still unproven, and a few players are currently playing a little over their heads... so I think the leafs will still come back down to earth to a certain degree... but will still make the playoffs. Somewhere 6th-8th in the east.

It's been over 8 years since I've said this as a leaf fan... but... I can't wait till spring.

Disgruntled Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:13 AM
  #23
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,682
vCash: 500
So you aren't half as disgruntled as your handle implies.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:13 AM
  #24
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Big questions on goaltending and defence but things looking positive

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 AM
  #25
Bomber0104
Boom
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Iraq
Posts: 6,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Last year the leafs had just as many points after this many games.

I took a lot of flack fom the usual suspects or having the audacity to correctly point out that the leafs success won last. Unproven goaltending, terrible special teams, and limite scoring depth were my main criticisms.

And then the leafs fell apart in the precise ways that us leaf fan realists (and th facts that we cited) said they would. We have an uncanny ability of being correct about this team the vast majority of the time, for the simple reason that we don't allow "homerism" biases to get in the way of our educated opinions.

So I will admit right now... whil the leafs have 22 points after 18 games (same as last year) that they are much more of the real deal this season.

Their special teams are starting to come together, they have consistent scoring from three different lines (including the slumping grabo line) and seem to play a better overall team defense.

Goaltending is still unproven, and a few players are currently playing a little over their heads... so I think the leafs will still come back down to earth to a certain degree... but will still make the playoffs. Somewhere 6th-8th in the east.

It's been over 8 years since I've said this as a leaf fan... but... I can't wait till spring.
Could be an exciting April for Toronto sports fans.

A possible NHL playoff hockey round and the start of the Blue Jays season.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.