HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2013, 01:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...rm-systems-mlb

Keith Law ranks the farm systems. He has the Jays slotted at 24th.

Quote:
A top-10 system before the big offseason trades, probably top five, but Alex Anthopoulos pushed his chips to the center of the table, stood up and said "Boo-yah!" but in the politest way possible.
Not sure I agree with dropping the Jays quite so low. Even losing so many guys off the top end, we've still got a ton of solid prospects. Should probably be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
I didn't think he was THAT big on Gose. Top 3 prior to him playing, then "probably top 5" afterwards?

Old
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Not sure I agree with dropping the Jays quite so low. Even losing so many guys off the top end, we've still got a ton of solid prospects. Should probably be somewhere in the middle of the pack.
I find that the farm rankings are based on elite prospects, if you have 5 solid players but they have 1 stud, they will be ranked higher.

Losing TDA and 2 of the 3 big arms we have, I think 24th is more reasonable.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
HappyGilmourr

Has a team ever dropped so low from one year to the next? Pretty crazy but if we make the playoffs its well worth it. If we don't... yikes. But I was on board from the beginning.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I find that the farm rankings are based on elite prospects, if you have 5 solid players but they have 1 stud, they will be ranked higher.

Losing TDA and 2 of the 3 big arms we have, I think 24th is more reasonable.
that sounds reasonable, but he makes arguments for several teams that are higher on the list based largely on their depth and without singling out any potential blue-chippers.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:41 PM
topched

Quote:
that sounds reasonable, but he makes arguments for several teams that are higher on the list based largely on their depth and without singling out any potential blue-chippers.
Hopefully we'll get another "blue-chipper" with our 10th pick this year. Would be nice to have that "next saviour". It seems like the fanbase largely lives on this... as long as we've got a couple names to talk about then we're happy

Old
02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Back when he was hired in November, Gibbons revealed that he was given a two-year deal plus an option, but he didn’t explain how the option functions.

The way it works is that as long as the Blue Jays don’t fire him prior to the following Jan. 1, the option becomes guaranteed with another option added to the back end. For example, if Gibbons makes it to 2014, his 2015 option vests with another option added for 2016.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...gement_clause/

Interesting.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Hopefully we'll get another "blue-chipper" with our 10th pick this year. Would be nice to have that "next saviour". It seems like the fanbase largely lives on this... as long as we've got a couple names to talk about then we're happy
We still do have some names to talk about. Gose is probably a headliner still if you consider him a prospect at this point. Aaron Sanchez remains out of the Lansing 3, and has the best potential out of that set. Both Osuna and Norris also look like they could jump in to the high end discussion as well.

And then there's a whole very nice looking 2nd tier of guys like Davis, Smoral, Stroman, Cardona, etc.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I didn't think he was THAT big on Gose. Top 3 prior to him playing, then "probably top 5" afterwards?
Sounds like HFBoards logic.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
We still do have some names to talk about. Gose is probably a headliner still if you consider him a prospect at this point. Aaron Sanchez remains out of the Lansing 3, and has the best potential out of that set. Both Osuna and Norris also look like they could jump in to the high end discussion as well.

And then there's a whole very nice looking 2nd tier of guys like Davis, Smoral, Stroman, Cardona, etc.
I also consider Stroman to be a headline borderline elite prospect.

Stud reliever with a... outside chance? to be a starter.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
topched

Quote:

Yeah I'm with you. People tend to forget a little bit about Gose because of his performance this year... but he's still a blue-chipper.

Can someone explain to me why he's no longer considered a prospect but TDA is even though he's a yr older? Games played?

Would be great if Sanchez turns it on this year, vaults himself into that top tier of close to mlb pitching prospects. We forget about Hutchison, but he's still young... Davis and Stroman will both play their first full seasons too.

We could be up 10 spots just based on our own talent developing.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:16 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah I'm with you. People tend to forget a little bit about Gose because of his performance this year... but he's still a blue-chipper.

Can someone explain to me why he's no longer considered a prospect but TDA is even though he's a yr older? Games played?

Would be great if Sanchez turns it on this year, vaults himself into that top tier of close to mlb pitching prospects. We forget about Hutchison, but he's still young... Davis and Stroman will both play their first full seasons too.

We could be up 10 spots just based on our own talent developing.
In regards to TDA and Gose. Gose played too many games in the majors to be considered a prospect anymore. D'Arnaud hasn't played one game in the majors yet so is still a prospect. It's pretty much the same principal in all sports.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:

I think that seems right. The farm system has thinned out and most of the guys are way down at the lower levels. Yes, the system still possesses guys with high ceiling but a lot of them are unproven and mostly projectable guys right now. The system could take a big jump if some of these guys prove themselves in full season ball.

You can't read too much into the rankings. We have Gose, Hutch, Drabek who while have technically graduated, they are still basically prospects. It helps that major leage team is strong enough where they may not need much help from their farm syste.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Shimso

Quote:

I'm surprised he ranked the team previously as "probably top 5" when most people thought it was a lock for top 3...

Old
02-04-2013, 06:00 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I think that seems right. The farm system has thinned out and most of the guys are way down at the lower levels. Yes, the system still possesses guys with high ceiling but a lot of them are unproven and mostly projectable guys right now. The system could take a big jump if some of these guys prove themselves in full season ball.

You can't read too much into the rankings. We have Gose, Hutch, Drabek who while have technically graduated, they are still basically prospects. It helps that major leage team is strong enough where they may not need much help from their farm syste.
Even the lesser known prospects like Sierra and Cooper who are good depth guys still remain. If Sanchez finds a little more control this year and Osuna keeps progressing like he has so far they'll likely make good jumps in the rankings on their own. But like you said we're in a familiar situation where a lot of our high risks guys are too low down in their development making our ranking understandably low. It'll be interesting to see what happens with guys like Hutch, Drabek and Happ. AA will likely be able to recoup a few prospects when tough decisions need to be made with our younger pitchers. Moving our guys like Buerhle or whoever when the time is needed for a rotation spot or two. Even moving someone like Rasmus or cabrera if we need a spot for Gose could bring in some nice prospects.

Last edited by dredeye: 02-04-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
I'm surprised he ranked the team previously as "probably top 5" when most people thought it was a lock for top 3...
Keith Law has a man-crush on Gose. Obviously he thought this team was top 3 when Gose was still rookie eligible, but once he graduated it was clear that this system was "probably top 5". He was like this with Zach Stewart too in years past.

disclaimer: not saying Gose is a bust like Stewart (he's not a bust at all in fact), but Law always has favourites.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

woooo

Old
02-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:

bleacher report had us ranked at 25th recently

Old
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
woooo

Nice! How many games did you get 10-15?

Old
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Has a team ever dropped so low from one year to the next? Pretty crazy but if we make the playoffs its well worth it. If we don't... yikes. But I was on board from the beginning.

Cleveland Indians this time last year. Top-10 farm system in 2011 became one of the worst after Kipnis/Chisenhall graduated and Pomeranz/White/Gardner were traded for Ubaldo Jimenez.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Nice! How many games did you get 10-15?
10 games (20 pictured, split with my brother)

tampa, yankees, red sox, tigers, angels, dogers, giants

Old
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
10 games (20 pictured, split with my brother)

tampa, yankees, red sox, tigers, angels, dogers, giants
Nice feeling when you get the Jays envelop in the mail and expect a phone call in the coming days lol.

Old
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
ansah

edittt

Old
02-04-2013, 08:07 PM
TMLeafer

Quote:
woooo

Nice!

Is it April yet?!

Old
02-04-2013, 09:19 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
I also consider Stroman to be a headline borderline elite prospect.

Stud reliever with a... outside chance? to be a starter.
I don't like putting pitchers in the elite prospect discussion if their probable MLB projection is as a reliever. It means they couldn't cut it as a starter, and then I have to question just how elite they are in terms of prospect status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Nice!

Is it April yet?!
Sadly, all attempts to create some manner of time travel so far have failed. And the other labs aren't giving us any more test monkeys. Something about a "catastrophically high mortality rate" or similar nonsense.

Closed Thread