HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

vCash: 500
Life without family, dogs in toronto will 'suck'

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=415894

If Buehrle doesn't want to be so far, why the hell doesn't he locate his family in Buffalo or something. Is Buffalo really that bad? Isn't there a nice part of Buffalo away from the fires? Why the hell do they have to be all the way in St Louis?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't live anywhere I couldn't take my dogs so I do sympathize with him.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
trellaine201

Just split the difference. Take two of them here and leave two in St Louis. This based on my zero knowledge on which ones he prefers. I am sure he has a favorite(s). At least he has some of them beside him and to take to the ballpark, dugout

Old
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Just split the difference. Take two of them here and leave two in St Louis. This based on my zero knowledge on which ones he prefers. I am sure he has a favorite(s). At least he has some of them beside him and to take to the ballpark, dugout
You don't separate the pack. If he's making such a big deal of it, he would feel the same way. He is on record as saying that he thinks of his dogs as part of the family (I do too). Just take what you said and take it to mean "children" instead of "dogs" and I think you will understand why that wouldn't be possible.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
slickstersoprano
1 hour ago

I agree you don't just get rid of your pet, however I think your responsibility as a parent is greater then the responsibility to your pet. I think kids need their parents more then a dog needs its owner. They should make arrangements to leave the dog with a loving family that they are comfortable with and make sure his kids grow up with their dad around. This is silly
I think this guy said it the best. Pretty much spot on.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
I think this guy said it the best. Pretty much spot on.
Yeh, from someone who doesn't own a dog. People can judge all they want, but dog owners are a different breed (pun intended).

And just to cut off the younger people here. When I say "owner" I mean the the person who the dog considers the alpha or the pack leader. If you have a dog but your dad, mom, wife, brother, sister etc are the ones who feed it, walk it, pet it, sleep with it, then they are the ones who actually "own" the dog. They may have a different opinion than you. In that scenario, where you have a family dog, you are just part of the pack.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Yeh, from someone who doesn't own a dog. People can judge all they want, but dog owners are a different breed (pun intended).

And just to cut off the younger people here. When I say "owner" I mean the the person who the dog considers the alpha or the pack leader. If you have a dog but your dad, mom, wife, brother, sister etc are the ones who feed it, walk it, pet it, sleep with it, then they are the ones who actually "own" the dog. They may have a different opinion than you. In that scenario, where you have a family dog, you are just part of the pack.
Even as a dog owner... and I love my dog.... I would never consider leaving my family because of my dog.

To me, you move the family with you for 6 months of the year while the outlawed Dog stays with someone else. And then you move back to your "home" after the season is finished.

Either way I could care less, I want Buehrle to pitch 200 innings with an ERA under 4. Whether his family and dogs are in St Louis, Toronto or Tokyo do your job.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis

Gibbons says Dustin McGowan had another little setback playing catch yesterday. "Shoulder was barking". He'll back off for a bit. #bluejays

Well, there's a shocker. No idea why he continues to be on the 40 man roster spot.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

Gibbons says Dustin McGowan had another little setback playing catch yesterday. "Shoulder was barking". He'll back off for a bit. #bluejays

Well, there's a shocker. No idea why he continues to be on the 40 man roster spot.
I don't get it either.

Same story every year. I wish I could figure out a way to earn a dollar everytime I heard "McGowan is throwing, no timetable set for return"

Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
trellaine201

Quote:

Wow the man with 9 lives!

Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:

Sad to say, but I think this guy really needs to give retirement a good long look.

02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I don't get it either.

Same story every year. I wish I could figure out a way to earn a dollar everytime I heard "McGowan is throwing, no timetable set for return"
You forgot to add the biggest money maker if you could get paid for that. Simply "McGowan had a setback in his rehab". That's were the real money would be.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

No ****. He's an absolute waste of a roster spot. If they outright him to AAA no one is gonna burn a roster spot on him. No one. I'd sooner lose him and the slim at best chance he ever actually pitches a half season ever again than some of the waiver guys we let slip away this off season. I just don't get the love affair with his cinderella story anymore. We all would love for him to make it back but really how many chances can you give to one guy? He has essentially spent his full career rehabbing and getting paid fairly well to do it.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Jatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo.
The only problem there is, you have to live in Buffalo.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
topched

Quote:
Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.
I would even explore it right now. See if you can get a close to major league ready prospet for Buehrle, maybe a RH bat who might be able to DH down the road.

Then, turn around and use that traded money to sign Kyle Lohse... give him 3/45 or whatever is close to Buehrle's contract.

You're looking really at the same dollar figure, maybe a slight upgrade in pitching and provided you get a decent prospect back it offsets losing the second rounder that you give up for Lohse (top 10 protected).

Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I would even explore it right now. See if you can get a close to major league ready prospet for Buehrle, maybe a RH bat who might be able to DH down the road.

Then, turn around and use that traded money to sign Kyle Lohse... give him 3/45 or whatever is close to Buehrle's contract.

You're looking really at the same dollar figure, maybe a slight upgrade in pitching and provided you get a decent prospect back it offsets losing the second rounder that you give up for Lohse (top 10 protected).
I wouldn't want to give Lohse that money. Everything about his 2012 screams that it was a fluke.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I don't think its much of a big deal right now. I am sure there are plenty of other baseball players around the league that have to be far away from their families and Buehrle will get over it. He is a professional guy who is well known for his good make-up so I think once baseball starts to pick-up, it probably won't be a big deal.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:02 PM
topched

Quote:
I wouldn't want to give Lohse that money. Everything about his 2012 screams that it was a fluke.
I agree... but its not like there would readily be other options. Buehrle is overpaid as well, I think even if you factor in Lohse's over achieving he's still on par with where Buerhle's at now.

Obviously none of this is going to happen. AA has consistently "flexed his muscle" as GM of the Jays, strong armed Oliver when he needed etc. Buerhle can moan (he's not really doing this now) all he wants, but AA won't accomodate. So he might as well get down to business.

I think Buerhle is in for a good year. And hey you never know, he's got 3 years left... maybe by next summer the pit bull ban has been lifted and this isn't even a story anymore.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

I don't know why Rogers couldn't exercise their muscle and get him an exemption.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't know why Rogers couldn't exercise their muscle and get him an exemption.
Good Lord, this is a whole can of political worms that I'm not surprised Rogers doesn't want to get into.

But AA/Beeston and co. have openly stated that they intend to support Buerhle's family in their efforts to advocate Pit Bulls in Ontario

Old
02-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Good Lord, this is a whole can of political worms that I'm not surprised Rogers doesn't want to get into.

But AA/Beeston and co. have openly stated that they intend to support Buerhle's family in their efforts to advocate Pit Bulls in Ontario
I'm sure if they really tried they could have got his dog artificially grandfathered in. You do everything to make your players happy with stuff like this.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Mariano Rivera has made decision if 2013 will be his final year, he's going to announce it before the season opener

Old
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I'm sure if they really tried they could have got his dog artificially grandfathered in. You do everything to make your players happy with stuff like this.
And then you set off a firestorm as both sides of the issue freak out because Buehrle got preferential treatment, albeit for different reasons.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Yeah pretty sure the last thing Rogers wants to do is delve into controversial politics.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

If he keeps his family in Buffalo, I'm sure Rogers could fly him in, and out on a daily basis if need be. Cost would be high, but you do what you have to do to keep your players happy.

Closed Thread