HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
topched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If he keeps his family in Buffalo, I'm sure Rogers could fly him in, and out on a daily basis if need be. Cost would be high, but you do what you have to do to keep your players happy.
LOL.

Reminds me of Kobe. He lives just outside of LA with his fam. Flies in on a helicopter to Staples centre to avoid hours in traffic.

Cabbie rode with him in it a few years back.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
TMLeafer

Is St. Louis that much better than Buffalo? Serious question, I've never been to St. Louis.

Either way, I don't want to hear a squeak more about this. It's his choice to keep his family further away than the has to. Take your humongous-big paycheck and put up 20 wins!

Old
02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Is St. Louis that much better than Buffalo? Serious question, I've never been to St. Louis.

Either way, I don't want to hear a squeak more about this. It's his choice to keep his family further away than the has to. Take your humongous-big paycheck and put up 20 wins!
Anything is better than Buffalo.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If he keeps his family in Buffalo, I'm sure Rogers could fly him in, and out on a daily basis if need be. Cost would be high, but you do what you have to do to keep your players happy.
No you don't, this is a business

You tell him to suck it up. Can't wait until he continues his natural regression, puts up a 4.50 ERA and blames it on not having his dog.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post

Have you been to Buffalo? Even in the nice areas, it's not nice. The Sabres have one of the nicest arena's in the league and it looks like there's factories and decrepit overpasses all around it.

If any of you guys go down to see a Bison's game, you'll see how bad that area is.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Have you been to Buffalo? Even in the nice areas, it's not nice. The Sabres have one of the nicest arena's in the league and it looks like there's factories and decrepit overpasses all around it.

If any of you guys go down to see a Bison's game, you'll see how bad that area is.
Yep, but haven't seen it extensively.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
trellaine201

Even TSN is mentioning trade speculation on buerle. Exactly what i said when the dog thing came up. I am sure the Jays are listening to reasonable offers. They wouldnt mind shedding a bit of salary either.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Even TSN is mentioning trade speculation on buerle. Exactly what i said when the dog thing came up. I am sure the Jays are listening to reasonable offers. They wouldnt mind shedding a bit of salary either.
I don't see them moving Buerhle until next off season at the earliest, and only to free cash to sign Johnson or Halladay. We need to hold onto as many good starters as possible until Drabek/Hutchison are ready and our other top pitching prospects are knockin on the door.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
LloydChristmas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.
When you have 6 games in 7 nights at home though, that's a hell of alot of traveling to be doing. I think we should just back off Buehrle, if he wants to move his family to St. Louis who are we to judge? It doesn't have to be a side show. If he's happy enough to give this team 100%, then let him do his thing. It's the fans that are making this a sideshow, not Mark.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
When you have 6 games in 7 nights at home though, that's a hell of alot of traveling to be doing. I think we should just back off Buehrle, if he wants to move his family to St. Louis who are we to judge? It doesn't have to be a side show. If he's happy enough to give this team 100%, then let him do his thing. It's the fans that are making this a sideshow, not Mark.
I think its more the media than fans who are blowing it out of proportion.

Old
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
No you don't, this is a business

You tell him to suck it up. Can't wait until he continues his natural regression, puts up a 4.50 ERA and blames it on not having his dog.
I lol'd.

Trade him to St Louis.

St Louis:

Shelby Miller
Craig Allen

for

Mark Buerhle
Adam Lind

Old
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I don't see them moving Buerhle until next off season at the earliest, and only to free cash to sign Johnson or Halladay. We need to hold onto as many good starters as possible until Drabek/Hutchison are ready and our other top pitching prospects are knockin on the door.
I am not saying they should but dont be surprised if they do.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
socratic

This seems like a fairly obvious solution (and one for which I should be paid as a real estate agent).

You and your family move into a place in Toronto.

You also buy a place like this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M34099-97796

You pay a trusted friend to live there for a summer and look after your dogs (maybe they can even work on the place a bit while they are there and make you some money).

Your dogs are only 1.5 hours away any time you or your family want to get away from the city and go visit them. You can practically boat there if you need to. They also have a pond and 140 acres to enjoy.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:50 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.
Not that I don't agree with what your saying but seeing as you live out west I have a feeling you've never had the luxury of visiting Buffalo. I can understand him not wanting to live there.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
TMLeafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
This seems like a fairly obvious solution (and one for which I should be paid as a real estate agent).

You and your family move into a place in Toronto.

You also buy a place like this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M34099-97796

You pay a trusted friend to live there for a summer and look after your dogs (maybe they can even work on the place a bit while they are there and make you some money).

Your dogs are only 1.5 hours away any time you or your family want to get away from the city and go visit them. You can practically boat there if you need to. They also have a pond and 140 acres to enjoy.
Genius! Email this idea to anthoalex77[at]rogers.com

Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Anything is better than Buffalo.
This.

It's better that he fly them in that force them to live, work, and go to school in freakin' Buffalo.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
I think this guy said it the best. Pretty much spot on.
In fairness, he's not being a bad parent. Keep in mind that he sees them all offseason, and during the season he's on the road a lot. You get used to the situation. And with flying them in for homestands or whatever the arrangement he figures is - it's not a whole lot extra away time tbh.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

One thing I don't get with Lohse, why doesn't he approach the Cards and see if they'd do a sign and trade with whatever team he wants to go to? Obviously there's not much in it for St. Louis, but they'd still be getting something and allowing a guy to play...

Old
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Anyone else is getting tired of the whole Buerhle pittbull situation? They talk about it like he had to put his cancer ridden son to sleep or something. Not trying to be insensitive, but grow the f up.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

St. Louis and Adam Wainwright aren't close on an extension. Perhaps a Buehrle for Wainwright swap can be arranged. Then, AA can try to extend Wainwright during the season if he so desires. It would save money for this current season, and Wainwright most likely would only cost as much as Buehrle already does if he was to be extended.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
St. Louis and Adam Wainwright aren't close on an extension. Perhaps a Buehrle for Wainwright swap can be arranged. Then, AA can try to extend Wainwright during the season if he so desires. It would save money for this current season, and Wainwright most likely would only cost as much as Buehrle already does if he was to be extended.
Really no reason for St Louis to do that; they can do far better with the Wainwright's freed-up money down the road than Buehrle's albatross contract.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Anyone else is getting tired of the whole Buerhle pittbull situation? They talk about it like he had to put his cancer ridden son to sleep or something. Not trying to be insensitive, but grow the f up.
It's ST, there's really not much else to talk about so the media is overblowing it. It's really annoying, but can't have expected much more at the beginning of camp

Old
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

I'm not a pet person (in fact, I hate dogs)...but the only breed of that monster I would let anywhere near me...is a pit bull (quality-trained, of course)

Props to buerhle for not just tossing his dog by the wayside when it becomes Inconvenient. High character guys are a plus on the jays

Old
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Really no reason for St Louis to do that; they can do far better with the Wainwright's freed-up money down the road than Buehrle's albatross contract.
They have a little concern about his durability, and how he'll respond during his 2nd season after Tommy John. You never know. I too dislike the Buerhle contract, and believed that AA would've flipped him by now. The dog situation makes it that much easier to turn around and send him elsewhere. I'd trade him before his main asset, durability and inning eating, begins to decline (which is inevitably will).

Old
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
HappyGilmourr

Would not mind moving Mark one bit.. Johnson seems very excited you can just tell you can't fake that and same with Reyes he looks happy. Cabrera should be excited he could choose any where he wanted to go... Dickey has been amazing with the media... Buerhle can't even fake a smile for the camera. Can't say I blame him. He doesn't seem like a very joyful guy either. But all I care about is wins from him.

Closed Thread