HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
  #551
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If he keeps his family in Buffalo, I'm sure Rogers could fly him in, and out on a daily basis if need be. Cost would be high, but you do what you have to do to keep your players happy.
LOL.

Reminds me of Kobe. He lives just outside of LA with his fam. Flies in on a helicopter to Staples centre to avoid hours in traffic.

Cabbie rode with him in it a few years back.

topched is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
  #552
TMLeafer
Moderator
______________
 
TMLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hockey Mecca, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,673
vCash: 500
Is St. Louis that much better than Buffalo? Serious question, I've never been to St. Louis.

Either way, I don't want to hear a squeak more about this. It's his choice to keep his family further away than the has to. Take your humongous-big paycheck and put up 20 wins!

TMLeafer is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
  #553
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Is St. Louis that much better than Buffalo? Serious question, I've never been to St. Louis.

Either way, I don't want to hear a squeak more about this. It's his choice to keep his family further away than the has to. Take your humongous-big paycheck and put up 20 wins!
Anything is better than Buffalo.

Scoogs is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
  #554
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,593
vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If he keeps his family in Buffalo, I'm sure Rogers could fly him in, and out on a daily basis if need be. Cost would be high, but you do what you have to do to keep your players happy.
No you don't, this is a business

You tell him to suck it up. Can't wait until he continues his natural regression, puts up a 4.50 ERA and blames it on not having his dog.

theaub is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
  #555
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Guernsey
Posts: 16,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLeafer View Post
Is St. Louis that much better than Buffalo? Serious question, I've never been to St. Louis.

Either way, I don't want to hear a squeak more about this. It's his choice to keep his family further away than the has to. Take your humongous-big paycheck and put up 20 wins!
Have you been to Buffalo? Even in the nice areas, it's not nice. The Sabres have one of the nicest arena's in the league and it looks like there's factories and decrepit overpasses all around it.

If any of you guys go down to see a Bison's game, you'll see how bad that area is.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
  #556
TMLeafer
Moderator
______________
 
TMLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hockey Mecca, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Have you been to Buffalo? Even in the nice areas, it's not nice. The Sabres have one of the nicest arena's in the league and it looks like there's factories and decrepit overpasses all around it.

If any of you guys go down to see a Bison's game, you'll see how bad that area is.
Yep, but haven't seen it extensively.

TMLeafer is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
  #557
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Even TSN is mentioning trade speculation on buerle. Exactly what i said when the dog thing came up. I am sure the Jays are listening to reasonable offers. They wouldnt mind shedding a bit of salary either.

trellaine201 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  #558
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,024
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Even TSN is mentioning trade speculation on buerle. Exactly what i said when the dog thing came up. I am sure the Jays are listening to reasonable offers. They wouldnt mind shedding a bit of salary either.
I don't see them moving Buerhle until next off season at the earliest, and only to free cash to sign Johnson or Halladay. We need to hold onto as many good starters as possible until Drabek/Hutchison are ready and our other top pitching prospects are knockin on the door.

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  #559
LloydChristmas*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario.
Posts: 109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.
When you have 6 games in 7 nights at home though, that's a hell of alot of traveling to be doing. I think we should just back off Buehrle, if he wants to move his family to St. Louis who are we to judge? It doesn't have to be a side show. If he's happy enough to give this team 100%, then let him do his thing. It's the fans that are making this a sideshow, not Mark.

LloydChristmas* is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  #560
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
When you have 6 games in 7 nights at home though, that's a hell of alot of traveling to be doing. I think we should just back off Buehrle, if he wants to move his family to St. Louis who are we to judge? It doesn't have to be a side show. If he's happy enough to give this team 100%, then let him do his thing. It's the fans that are making this a sideshow, not Mark.
I think its more the media than fans who are blowing it out of proportion.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  #561
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle
 
DatsyukianDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
No you don't, this is a business

You tell him to suck it up. Can't wait until he continues his natural regression, puts up a 4.50 ERA and blames it on not having his dog.
I lol'd.

Trade him to St Louis.

St Louis:

Shelby Miller
Craig Allen

for

Mark Buerhle
Adam Lind


DatsyukianDeke is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  #562
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
I don't see them moving Buerhle until next off season at the earliest, and only to free cash to sign Johnson or Halladay. We need to hold onto as many good starters as possible until Drabek/Hutchison are ready and our other top pitching prospects are knockin on the door.
I am not saying they should but dont be surprised if they do.

trellaine201 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
  #563
socratic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
This seems like a fairly obvious solution (and one for which I should be paid as a real estate agent).

You and your family move into a place in Toronto.

You also buy a place like this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M34099-97796

You pay a trusted friend to live there for a summer and look after your dogs (maybe they can even work on the place a bit while they are there and make you some money).

Your dogs are only 1.5 hours away any time you or your family want to get away from the city and go visit them. You can practically boat there if you need to. They also have a pond and 140 acres to enjoy.

socratic is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  #564
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I don't know why Buehrle didn't move to Buffalo. Google maps says that the shortest/fastest route between Buffalo and the Rogers Centre is about 1h40m. Even if we take that as a generously fast estimate and call it closer to 2 hours or even 2h15m (accounting for traffic differences, the border wait, etc, that's still not a totally unreasonable commute time. I have a friend who lives in Surrey and commutes basically 1h45 to 2 hours to Vancouver for his job most days of the week. And it's even longer if he's coming from his girlfriend's home in Langley.

And yes, the border thing could be an issue, but you guys have those Nexus cards or something like it in Ontario & New York, no? The enhanced drivers license/ID that lets you use the special lane at the border crossing and cut down on wait time? It's not that hard to get one of those. Then he could stay in Toronto and go home whenever he wanted, and then be back in short order. Hell, I'm sure the team would even be willing to give him extra days off (on his non-pitching days) where he could stay home with his family for a few days at a time.

Stuff like this is why people have suggested maybe Buehrle should be traded. If this is going to be a sideshow all year and he's going to have this hanging over his head constantly, it could easily get to be a distraction. And with the potential this team has, a constant distraction is something they don't need. But at the same time it's not like he needs to be traded immediately. See how things play out for a while and then go from there.
Not that I don't agree with what your saying but seeing as you live out west I have a feeling you've never had the luxury of visiting Buffalo. I can understand him not wanting to live there.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 07:04 PM
  #565
TMLeafer
Moderator
______________
 
TMLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hockey Mecca, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
This seems like a fairly obvious solution (and one for which I should be paid as a real estate agent).

You and your family move into a place in Toronto.

You also buy a place like this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M34099-97796

You pay a trusted friend to live there for a summer and look after your dogs (maybe they can even work on the place a bit while they are there and make you some money).

Your dogs are only 1.5 hours away any time you or your family want to get away from the city and go visit them. You can practically boat there if you need to. They also have a pond and 140 acres to enjoy.
Genius! Email this idea to anthoalex77[at]rogers.com

TMLeafer is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
  #566
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Anything is better than Buffalo.
This.

It's better that he fly them in that force them to live, work, and go to school in freakin' Buffalo.

Sokil is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
  #567
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
I think this guy said it the best. Pretty much spot on.
In fairness, he's not being a bad parent. Keep in mind that he sees them all offseason, and during the season he's on the road a lot. You get used to the situation. And with flying them in for homestands or whatever the arrangement he figures is - it's not a whole lot extra away time tbh.

Sokil is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
  #568
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
One thing I don't get with Lohse, why doesn't he approach the Cards and see if they'd do a sign and trade with whatever team he wants to go to? Obviously there's not much in it for St. Louis, but they'd still be getting something and allowing a guy to play...

Quik is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:14 AM
  #569
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,078
vCash: 551
Anyone else is getting tired of the whole Buerhle pittbull situation? They talk about it like he had to put his cancer ridden son to sleep or something. Not trying to be insensitive, but grow the f up.

Anthrax442 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
  #570
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
St. Louis and Adam Wainwright aren't close on an extension. Perhaps a Buehrle for Wainwright swap can be arranged. Then, AA can try to extend Wainwright during the season if he so desires. It would save money for this current season, and Wainwright most likely would only cost as much as Buehrle already does if he was to be extended.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
  #571
theaub
Lets go Hawks!
 
theaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Markham, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,593
vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
St. Louis and Adam Wainwright aren't close on an extension. Perhaps a Buehrle for Wainwright swap can be arranged. Then, AA can try to extend Wainwright during the season if he so desires. It would save money for this current season, and Wainwright most likely would only cost as much as Buehrle already does if he was to be extended.
Really no reason for St Louis to do that; they can do far better with the Wainwright's freed-up money down the road than Buehrle's albatross contract.

theaub is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:43 AM
  #572
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Anyone else is getting tired of the whole Buerhle pittbull situation? They talk about it like he had to put his cancer ridden son to sleep or something. Not trying to be insensitive, but grow the f up.
It's ST, there's really not much else to talk about so the media is overblowing it. It's really annoying, but can't have expected much more at the beginning of camp

Quik is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
  #573
T_Cage
VP of Awesome
 
T_Cage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,769
vCash: 500
I'm not a pet person (in fact, I hate dogs)...but the only breed of that monster I would let anywhere near me...is a pit bull (quality-trained, of course)

Props to buerhle for not just tossing his dog by the wayside when it becomes Inconvenient. High character guys are a plus on the jays

T_Cage is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
  #574
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Really no reason for St Louis to do that; they can do far better with the Wainwright's freed-up money down the road than Buehrle's albatross contract.
They have a little concern about his durability, and how he'll respond during his 2nd season after Tommy John. You never know. I too dislike the Buerhle contract, and believed that AA would've flipped him by now. The dog situation makes it that much easier to turn around and send him elsewhere. I'd trade him before his main asset, durability and inning eating, begins to decline (which is inevitably will).

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  #575
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 500
Would not mind moving Mark one bit.. Johnson seems very excited you can just tell you can't fake that and same with Reyes he looks happy. Cabrera should be excited he could choose any where he wanted to go... Dickey has been amazing with the media... Buerhle can't even fake a smile for the camera. Can't say I blame him. He doesn't seem like a very joyful guy either. But all I care about is wins from him.

HappyGilmourr is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.