HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Anyone else find it funny how all the prospects we traded are now so much more highly viewed now that they are out of our organization? Reminds me of when the Sox traded Casey Kelly in the Gonzalez deal and he suddenly dropped from a top 10 prospect to the late 30's simply because he went from a big market to a small one.
D'Arnaud being the prime example of that. He literally did nothing but heal from injury since the last rankings. The only difference is that he's in a new system.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Eyedea
96 from the left

vCash: 350
Quote:
Anyone else find it funny how all the prospects we traded are now so much more highly viewed now that they are out of our organization? Reminds me of when the Sox traded Casey Kelly in the Gonzalez deal and he suddenly dropped from a top 10 prospect to the late 30's simply because he went from a big market to a small one.
Surprised at TDA being that high up. He's probably top 10, I wouldn't put him at 6 though. Marisnick(70) fell, Hech(82) managed to get up there, Synder is in an appropriate position, although it is funny how he's ahead of Teheran now.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Surprised at TDA being that high up. He's probably top 10, I wouldn't put him at 6 though. Marisnick(70) fell, Hech(82) managed to get up there, Synder is in an appropriate position, although it is funny how he's ahead of Teheran now.
We could deal Stilson to the Yankee's for someone only to see him squeezed into the next prospect list in the top 50.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The top ten pick alone could be in the top 50 by the end of the season.

Its not often that you see a team trade for 4 former all-stars in an offseason and not have a cupboard thats absolutely bone dry.

It only took AA a handful of years to get the prospect pool to where it was before the moves. It won't take him any longer to restock the cupboard.
I'm sorry, but that simply isn't true.

The rule changes (compensation picks, spending limits, etc.) alone have undoubtedly had an effect on the amount of talent you can stack up in one draft, and when you factor in the fact that the Jays won't be trading their players for prospects (a luxury AA previously had), it's going to make it much, much tougher to build a top-5 farm system.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Sam "best stuff in the organization" Dyson is claimed by the Marlins. Jays did an excellent job losing an asset for nothing. He was put on 40 man roster when he didn't have to be for no reason, made a whopping 2 outs in his call-up before being sent down and now Jays lose him for nothing a few months later. He's not much of an arm but at least he was formidable depth. Bad asset management right here.

Jays sign Andy Laroche to minor league deal.
Would this be a depth deal to take Coopers spot in AAA? What are people thoughts on Cooper being a bench, spot start guy this year with the Jays?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
Would this be a depth deal to take Coopers spot in AAA? What are people thoughts on Cooper being a bench, spot start guy this year with the Jays?
It's just to add depth in AAA. It something we lacked last year and they are addressing it this year. It will affect Cooper at all. He will not be on the big league roster at the start of the season.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Cooper won't be with the Jays to start the year. The Toronto roster is pretty much set right now, outside of a couple of bullpen spots and who is the backup catcher.

Rotation: Dickey, Morrow, Johnson, Buehrle, Romero
Bullpen: Janssen, Santos, Delabar, Rogers, Oliver, 2 of Cecil/Loup/Happ/Jeffress

Lineup: Reyes, Cabrera, Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Lind, Rasmus, Arencibia, Izturis/Bonifacio
Bench: Bonifacio/Izturis, Davis, Thole/Blanco, DeRosa

LaRoche is to give them extra depth in the minors and in case of injury. I'm not sure, does the IL use the designated hitter? because it would also give them more pieces for that. IIRC also, this LaRoche can play 1st and 3rd, so there's more IF flexibility there too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:17 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Cooper won't be with the Jays to start the year. The Toronto roster is pretty much set right now, outside of a couple of bullpen spots and who is the backup catcher.

Rotation: Dickey, Morrow, Johnson, Buehrle, Romero
Bullpen: Janssen, Santos, Delabar, Rogers, Oliver, 2 of Cecil/Loup/Happ/Jeffress

Lineup: Reyes, Cabrera, Bautista, Encarnacion, Lawrie, Lind, Rasmus, Arencibia, Izturis/Bonifacio
Bench: Bonifacio/Izturis, Davis, Thole/Blanco, DeRosa

LaRoche is to give them extra depth in the minors and in case of injury. I'm not sure, does the IL use the designated hitter? because it would also give them more pieces for that. IIRC also, this LaRoche can play 1st and 3rd, so there's more IF flexibility there too.
Every time I see that lineup I get excited. Should be a fun year to watch the Blue Jays!

Old
01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

MLB Network made a list of their top 100 prospects. Only 2 Blue Jays on it, Aaron Sanchez at #35 and Roberto Osuna at #90. However, Marisnick, Nicolino, D'Arnaud, and Syndergaard are all on it. D'Arnaud and Syndergaard are both ahead of Sanchez at #6 and #29 respectively.

Reading fan opinion of the list, it sounds like people think it's crap.

Shelby Miller at 25 is a joke. I'd take him over Skaggs who they have at 10.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Nope, Cooper is better than Laroche and he also plays 3rd base which off the top of my head, I'm not sure Jays have any (McCoy?) so he provide the Jays with some depth. Also has some major league experience so that helps (he isn't any good though).

Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Nope, Cooper is better than Laroche and he also plays 3rd base which off the top of my head, I'm not sure Jays have any (McCoy?) so he provide the Jays with some depth. Also has some major league experience so that helps (he isn't any good though).
When you've got Mike McCoy, who else do you need?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we need a big yr from lawrie
25 homers 95 ribbies....

Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
25 homers 95 ribbies....
I will be happy with improved discipline.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I will be happy with improved discipline.
Exactly. That's about all we "NEED" from Lawrie.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
25 homers 95 ribbies....
I would be ecstatic with .270 22 HR 90 RBI

Hopefully one of Lawrie, Rasmus or Lind can be that solid number 5 bat in the lineup behind Jose and Encarnacion. Someone will need to step. A lot of solid candidates - At least one of them should step up and drive in 80-90.

Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 01-31-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
25 homers 95 ribbies....
An above average OBP and 15-20 homeruns is pretty much all we need out of Lawrie. Any more than that is gravy.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Quote:
The*Dodgers, Blue Jays, Angels, Tigers, Orioles, Brewers, and Athletics were in Peoria, Arizona today to watch Kip Wells, Mark Lowe, and Ryan Rowland-Smith throw, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com (on Twitter). *Wells, 35, made seven starts for the Padres last season and*posted a 4.58 ERA with 20 walks and 19 strikeouts.
From MLBTR

Old
01-31-2013, 08:22 AM
416Leafer

Wooooo! Bought two Blue Jays Fan Passes yesterday. 99$ per pass for 80 games.

Also bought a Dickey jersey the other day. Exciting times to be a Jays fan

Old
01-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

If johnson re-signs with us...I'll get a jersey of his. If not then I'll prolly get a Reyes Jersey.

01-31-2013, 08:25 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
I would be ecstatic with .270 22 HR 90 RBI

Hopefully one of Lawrie, Rasmus or Lind can be that solid number 5 bat in the lineup behind Jose and Encarnacion. Someone will need to step. A lot of solid candidates - At least one of them should step up and drive in 80-90.
This is a big difference between this season and past season. Mostly applying to pitching, but batting as well.

Oh what's that? Johnson got injured or is having an off-year? OH WHO CARES! We still have Dickey/Buehlre/Morrow/Romero to take on the bulk of the work load.

There's depth, there's redundancy, there's talent. If a couple people get injured or have off years, there are still other proven guys on the team to help carry the load, there are a few young(ish) guys who could be on the verge of break out seasons, etc.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Wooooo! Bought two Blue Jays Fan Passes yesterday. 99$ per pass for 80 games.

Also bought a Dickey jersey the other day. Exciting times to be a Jays fan
Where are your seats? I'm in 532

Old
01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Where are your seats? I'm in 532
I think it was 515, but way up in the 30s for the row.

I probably ordered them only an hour or two after they went on sale, but the selection was already pretty limited. The only seats below row 30 were in a section with a bad angle.

Last season, I got better seats and have no clue how close I was to the day they went on sale.

But assuming it's anything like last year (I expect it will be busier mind you), it's essentially never sold out. So you can pretty much move around wherever you want in the 500 level. I don't think I sat in my own seats once last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Suntouchable13

I really think signing Melky Cabrera was a mistake. This PED cloud is going to keep hanging over this guy and I fear it might be a distraction.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:41 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I really think signing Melky Cabrera was a mistake. This PED cloud is going to keep hanging over this guy and I fear it might be a distraction.
I don't think so. He's already served his time for the PEDs. So there's some rumours that he may have previously used PEDs at some clinic in Miami... so wha? We already knew that about him (that in the PAST he had used PEDs, this clinic wasn't talking about him using them this year or anything). That story was predominently about A-Rod, Melky's tie to it isn't really news.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
But assuming it's anything like last year (I expect it will be busier mind you), it's essentially never sold out. So you can pretty much move around wherever you want in the 500 level. I don't think I sat in my own seats once last year.
I think they went away from specific pass sections to spreading people out across the 500's some more. But yeah I was also in 532 last year (weirdly I am four seats to the right of having the exact same seats), and I usually moved down to either the first couple rows of 532 or just went down to the 100.

Closed Thread