HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 17th: A game on TV! Saturday vs Detroit 10am PT/1pm ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I really think signing Melky Cabrera was a mistake. This PED cloud is going to keep hanging over this guy and I fear it might be a distraction.
Luckily there are other better players on the roster and probably an issue that won't see much headline.
Quote:
Though Melky Cabrera -- who signed to a US$16-million, two-year deal during the Toronto Blue Jays' transformative November -- is mentioned 14 times in the records of facility chief Tony Bosch, the allegations are not new, and coincide with the period of banned substance usage that led to his 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball last summer.

Adjudication on that front is taken care of, although the documents do offer an intriguing look into the how of the left-fielder's positive test for elevated testosterone (Bosch's records point to Cabrera receiving "troches," described by the Miami New Times as a lozenge containing 15 per cent testosterone, and "pink cream," which also contained testosterone).

The Blue Jays, for their part, declined comment, and the take from them seems to be that the report is old news and Cabrera has served his time. So unless new evidence is gathered against the 28-year-old, at this point the implications here appear limited to uncomfortable questions raised and poor optics.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201..._up_with_peds/

He likely won't be suspended either (you can't for the same offense) so I think people will just brush it off. He did it, he served his time and I think people will move on at this point.

Real story is A-Rod, Gio and Cruz doing it and that puts them in some trouble.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Luckily there are other better players on the roster and probably an issue that won't see much headline.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201..._up_with_peds/

He likely won't be suspended either (you can't for the same offense) so I think people will just brush it off. He did it, he served his time and I think people will move on at this point.

Real story is A-Rod, Gio and Cruz doing it and that puts them in some trouble.
Exactly, I think names like Melky were used as proof that those three have connections to a guy that was feeding mlb'ers that have been proven to be taking ped's and that they aren't the key part of the story the guys still playing without suspension are the targets of the article.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
TF97
Jose Bautista: 16 HR

vCash: 2396
Prado signs 4 year $40M extension with Arizona - MLBTR

Old
01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I think with guys like Happ and Lincoln potentially starting down in AAA, plus factoring in guys like Jenkins and Dave Bush, the Jays might force McGuire to wow them in AA to start the year. As they should.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Apparently, your unaware of the off season we just had. Our farm system is still ok it's just not what it was before this off season.
you're* and I'm completely aware of what happened this offseason. I just didn't know it depleted our farm system to the level of having not one top 30 prospect. That's a little concerning to me if this doesn't work out.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
you're* and I'm completely aware of what happened this offseason. I just didn't know it depleted our farm system to the level of having not one top 30 prospect. That's a little concerning to me if this doesn't work out.
Ahh the spelling correction.... the universal sign of being outmatched in an argument

But yeah I don't know why its concerning to you. If the Miami deal didn't work out, and we were garbage... It wouldn't be too consoling to me to go "oh well, we still have Syndergaard to pitch for us in 2 years".

You build your farm system for 2 reasons, to take major league spots and as currency to make deals for mlb quality players. After the Miami deal there was no question acquiring Dickey was the right move. No point in "half-assing" the next 3 seasons when you've got all-star quality players locked up with young talent around them.

Prospects smoshpects.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
I really think signing Melky Cabrera was a mistake. This PED cloud is going to keep hanging over this guy and I fear it might be a distraction.
You can bet that majority of baseball players are on it. Its more of"who isn't" rather than"who is"

Old
01-31-2013, 03:15 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
One traded that. The one with the Mets. If we hadn't of done that trade we'd have two with that trade we have none. Yeah it sucks losing high end prospects. What doesn't suck is trading two of them for last years cy young winner who's extended his contract to remain with us for an additional 3 years. I love prospects more than most and I'm happy to have Dickey with us to make a run at the world series. We lost of a lot of talent this off season. But we gained just as much if not more. Just to put things in perspective a little for you I believe Snider at one point was the 6th best rated prospect in baseball and he was just traded for a reliever and isn't getting everyday playing time with his new team. Not saying these guys will bust but we added a ton of quality to ours so it's a wash.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Hey boys, any new signings/trades? Been away for a while. Actually on vacation in Scotland. Got a layover in London for a few hours thought I'd check in, and then hit the airport bar.

Question, was Prado given a window similar to Dickey when he was traded? Or was it more of a verbal agreement.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
topched

Hey guys,

Been meaning to post this for a while.

XXL Authentic Jays Lawrie Jersey (blue)
Purchased for $200, worn once.
Asking $90 OBO.

PM me if interested.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Ahh the spelling correction.... the universal sign of being outmatched in an argument

But yeah I don't know why its concerning to you. If the Miami deal didn't work out, and we were garbage... It wouldn't be too consoling to me to go "oh well, we still have Syndergaard to pitch for us in 2 years".

You build your farm system for 2 reasons, to take major league spots and as currency to make deals for mlb quality players. After the Miami deal there was no question acquiring Dickey was the right move. No point in "half-assing" the next 3 seasons when you've got all-star quality players locked up with young talent around them.

Prospects smoshpects.
If you're gong to accuse me of being oblivious of what happened this offseason you shouldn't be obliviously to spelling.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Been meaning to post this for a while.

XXL Authentic Jays Lawrie Jersey (blue)
Purchased for $200, worn once.
Asking $90 OBO.

PM me if interested.
I've heard about this cool new thing called kijiji and craigslist! You should try it!

Old
01-31-2013, 03:38 PM
topched

Quote:
If you're gong to accuse me of being oblivious of what happened this offseason you shouldn't be obliviously to spelling.
Interesting that a guy who is so keen on spelling just used the phrase "obliviously to spelling".

Quote:
I've heard about this cool new thing called kijiji and craigslist!
Grow up, kid.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Interesting that a guy who is so keen on spelling just used the phrase "obliviously to spelling".

Grow up, kid.
there's a difference between a typo and not knowing your grade 4 grammar. You find kijiji yet?

Old
01-31-2013, 03:43 PM
topched

Quote:
there's a difference between a typo and not knowing your grade 4 grammar. You find kijiji yet?
Who are you?

Are you really getting into an argument on an internet forum? Take a hike this is a Blue Jays Discussion thread. Your skin is so thin you had to attack somebody for their grammar when they offered up a contradictory opinion.

Thanks, buddy.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Who are you?

Are you really getting into an argument on an internet forum? Take a hike this is a Blue Jays Discussion thread. Your skin is so thin you had to attack somebody for their grammar when they offered up a contradictory opinion.

Thanks, buddy.
No I attacked someone for grammar when they accused me of being an idiot and not knowing the deals Toronto made this summer.

I didn't even have an opinion I was just curious as to why the Jays have the worst top tier prospects in baseball now by far (not one in the top 35).

Why don't you take a hike, this is a Blue Jay Discussion thread not Craigslist.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:51 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Hey boys, any new signings/trades? Been away for a while. Actually on vacation in Scotland. Got a layover in London for a few hours thought I'd check in, and then hit the airport bar.

Question, was Prado given a window similar to Dickey when he was traded? Or was it more of a verbal agreement.
I'm pretty sure the Prado signing was made after the deal.... although I wouldn't be surprsied if they had talks with him before. Most people agreed the deal favoured ATL. I guess this lessens the blow a little bit. 10 mill is pretty good considering what Prado brings to the table.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
THANK MARLEAU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

KJ signed with Tampa. We signed LaRoche.

Andy LaRoche to a minor league contract

Old
01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Tony Romo

I don't care if we don't got a top 35 prospect one of our pitching prospects got compared to verlander gimmie gimmie!!!!!!!

Old
01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
KJ signed with Tampa. We signed LaRoche.

Andy LaRoche to a minor league contract
For whatever reason I read that name from back to front and my heart stopped. Even though I know he has a contract with Washington. Who the heck is "Andy" LaRoche, brother?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
No I attacked someone for grammar when they accused me of being an idiot and not knowing the deals Toronto made this summer.

I didn't even have an opinion I was just curious as to why the Jays have the worst top tier prospects in baseball now by far (not one in the top 35).

Why don't you take a hike, this is a Blue Jay Discussion thread not Craigslist.
You attacked me for grammar and are currently calling me an idiot because I answered your question that had an obvious answer of it's own. A few posts later I even took the time to show a long list of our higher ranked prospects some of which will creep up the rankings next year. Because your obviously not all that knowledgeable about our prospect pool. If your aware of the quality of prospects we traded to make our team a world series threat. You should also understand pretty clearly why we no longer have a top 30 prospect. The guys we traded for the most part are closer to the majors which increases their value and thus their prospect rating. We have many very good prospects left in our system but they are simply too young and too early in their development to be very high in the rankings.

As for your response to him offering his jays jersey for sale here instead of kijiji or craigslist. What's the problem with it? We are jays fans and may appreciate the ability to get a good and now cheap jersey that carries the name of a current Jay. I view as him offering it here first as an early shot at something many of us would have great interest in. It's a courtesy not an annoyance unlike your proving to be.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Sorry for my poor grammar. I was oblivously to my mistake.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:39 PM
mikebel111*
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:

no need to worry, AA will make our farm system great again, give him a year or 2

plus we have 9th overall pick, so we will be getting a blue chipper in the draft

Old
01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Sorry for my poor grammar. I was oblivously to my mistake.
obliviously*

Okay enough. Why did you have to be condescending to me in the first place? Like I don't know what happened this off season. I just thought you would have to assemble the 93 Jays again to not have one top 35 prospect when their is 30 teams in the league. ***** me, right?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
no need to worry, AA will make our farm system great again, give him a year or 2

plus we have 9th overall pick, so we will be getting a blue chipper in the draft
Why is everyone so sure we are getting a sure thing at the draft? Its baseball! you will be lucky to find 3 all star players in the first 30 picks and the chances that its us is not all that high.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
obliviously*

Okay enough. Why did you have to be condescending to me in the first place? Like I don't know what happened this off season. I just thought you would have to assemble the 93 Jays again to not have one top 35 prospect when their is 30 teams in the league. ***** me, right?

Because we traded 2 top 30 prospects to get R.A Dickey. Does it make sense now. If you were aware of what we traded in the off season you'd have had a better understanding of why we no longer have one. We traded 5 players that are on that top 100 list this off season and still have 2 on the list. So we had 7 which put us very high on the prospect market. AA traded 5 and kept 2. AA has assembled a team that is similar is value to those teams from 92, 93. Now it's a matter of the team coming together. We are a LEGIT WS threat. I'd much rather be in that position then worry about not having a top 30 prospect.

Closed Thread