HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Trades?

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 03:03 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfest View Post
Yea, he's been fine, but over-37, less-than-mobile players can lose effectiveness real quick. We need to get another 2.5 years out of him, which is not a given (I know that no contract of any length is a given, but this is an unnecessarily risky one).

My biggest complaint is that it was 100% unnecessary to sign a 35+ UFA to a 3-yr deal last summer. We don't have the room. Not this year, and not next year.

If we end up having to move Greene or Fayne because no one is biting on Tallinder, it's poor asset management on Lou's part.
not going to argue on the poor asset management comment, because i agree. on a bunch of different levels

Old
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Yea, he's been fine, but over-37, less-than-mobile players can lose effectiveness real quick. We need to get another 2.5 years out of him, which is not a given (I know that no contract of any length is a given, but this is an unnecessarily risky one).

My biggest complaint is that it was 100% unnecessary to sign a 35+ UFA to a 3-yr deal last summer. We don't have the room. Not this year, and not next year.

If we end up having to move Greene or Fayne because no one is biting on Tallinder, it's poor asset management on Lou's part.
We should start freaking out when Salvador will show signs of being on the same level as Volchenkov but as of today, he's one of our two best d-men.

It's actually the opposite with Salvador. He's getting better and better cause I can remember when he was a brutal as #28 when moving the puck but he's done a complete 180 in terms of taking his time to make the right play instead of just whipping the puck around the glass for a prayer to be answered.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
Try to get Halischuk back.
I agree. Think he would come cheap as well, but he seems to be their energy guy, so he's valuable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Isn't ROR still an unsigned RFA?
Yes. From what I got, he wants to get paid for what he's contributing but the Avalanche are in the dilemma that he is their third line center behind Duchene. He probably deserves somewhere in the realm of 4-5 million, but the Avalanche don't want to pay that much to their third line center.

If we can get him for something centered around Tallinder and Tedenby, even if we have to add a pick and a low-level prospect, I'm okay with that.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Yes. From what I got, he wants to get paid for what he's contributing but the Avalanche are in the dilemma that he is their third line center behind Duchene. He probably deserves somewhere in the realm of 4-5 million, but the Avalanche don't want to pay that much to their third line center.

If we can get him for something centered around Tallinder and Tedenby, even if we have to add a pick and a low-level prospect, I'm okay with that.
The Avs will sell to the highest bidder, and that package likely won't be it.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
The Avs will sell to the highest bidder, and that package likely won't be it.
Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious, but do you really think Oduya+Bergfors+Cormier+1st was the best package they could find for Kovalchuk?

I think that package works well in addressing their needs (top four blueliner, offensive wingers, and offensive depth).

I'd love to see Tallinder, Tedenby, a guy like Sestito/Anderson, and a second fetch us O'Reilly. I would be so happy, but that's only me dreaming.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
We should start freaking out when Salvador will show signs of being on the same level as Volchenkov but as of today, he's one of our two best d-men.

It's actually the opposite with Salvador. He's getting better and better cause I can remember when he was a brutal as #28 when moving the puck but he's done a complete 180 in terms of taking his time to make the right play instead of just whipping the puck around the glass for a prayer to be answered.
I'm not really concerned about his performance as of now, I just think it was unnecessary to keep him. I really like Sal, he's been a heck of a Devil, but we simply didn't have the room to resign him.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:53 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious, but do you really think Oduya+Bergfors+Cormier+1st was the best package they could find for Kovalchuk?

I think that package works well in addressing their needs (top four blueliner, offensive wingers, and offensive depth).

I'd love to see Tallinder, Tedenby, a guy like Sestito/Anderson, and a second fetch us O'Reilly. I would be so happy, but that's only me dreaming.
That would be the worst trade in the history of the NHL hahaha

Old
01-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Quote:
Sure, why would they have gone for a lesser package? Not many teams had the space to add a player like Kovalchuk. He turned down $100mm x10yrs from Atlanta, which made it look like he'd be difficult to re-sign (and he was, as we all know). A lot of teams probably kicked the tires on a deal, but I'd guess that only the very few teams that had room to potentially resign him for huge money actually put together a serious package.

That package seems infinitely worse in retrospect because neither Bergfors nor Cormier panned out. If they did (Bergfors was in the middle of a very respectable 20 goal rookie season), it would look a lot better for the ATL side.

O'Reilly might be an expensive-ish guy for a team to sign, but he won't be a bank buster like Kovalchuk. A lot more teams will be in on him, driving the price up. Just my theory.

Edit: To add, that package is not "the value of Kovalchuk" per se, but rather the value of Kovalchuk at that unique moment - pending UFA looking for $100+mm, requested trade, lots of teams near the cap ceiling, etc...

Last edited by Thunderfest: 01-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
I'm not really concerned about his performance as of now, I just think it was unnecessary to keep him. I really like Sal, he's been a heck of a Devil, but we simply didn't have the room to resign him.
You keep your best players and you try and move the dead weight later on. Lou is probably crossing his fingers that a team will come calling for the services of a veteran d-men and we're in pretty good shape if you take into consideration that teams will be playing once every other day and players are bound to get injured sooner rather then later.

As of right now, we're in the driver's seat and Lou will just wait for his phone to ring. If were in the same situation come deadline day and no one is moved, I'll fully agree with your comment but that doesn't take away the fact that Salvador is a top #2 d-men on our team.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:14 PM
LetsGoDevils30

What d-man do you think is the most LIKELY to get moved?

Old
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoDevils30 View Post
Who the hell knows at this point man. For now I think the first question we should ask is what D man sits for Larsson when the time finally comes?

Old
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoDevils30 View Post
Most likely: Tallinder
Who I want gone: Volchenkov

Old
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Most likely: Tallinder
Who I want gone: Volchenkov
Tallinder has been playing the least amount of minutes if that's any way to look at it. He's also been getting PP time at that.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Tallinder has been playing the least amount of minutes if that's any way to look at it. He's also been getting PP time at that.
According to HF rules, the least amount of icetime doesn't mean he's our weakest link... see my never ending debate about Volchenkov's ATOI and 90% of this board.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
According to HF rules, the least amount of icetime doesn't mean he's our weakest link... see my never ending debate about Volchenkov's ATOI and 90% of this board.
Haha yeah Volch has been the lowest in TOI I think his two years here. Not sure if he was two years ago cause we did have various really bad call up defensemen up. Like OMG, Corrente, Eckford, and a really bad fresh into the NHL Mark Fayne.

Who could forget the dreaded Mark Fraser too?

Old
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Least amount of ice time this season is Larsson, so obviously he is easily the worst.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Definitely won't resign Zidlicky... even then, if we assume a trade this year of Volchenkov/Tallinder to get Larsson a spot, we only open up one roster spot for Urbom/Merril/Gelinas/Burlon until probably the 2015 season.

Youngsters gonna have to be patient. In four years though, I think Fayne (and Larsson) are the only remaining defensemen from this current group on the Devils. Not that crazy of a stretch considering only Greene will likely be considered for a new contract at that point.
That's very possible. If there are no trades, then I expect that Volch, Sal, Zid, and Tallinder will all be let go at the end of their current deals, Greene and Fayne will be re-signed, and then there are plenty of open spot for the kids. That said, we probably will have trades or signings bring in defencemen as yet unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
How about a trading Greene to Toronto for Kulemin? gives Toronto an exp'd d-man that I read they might be looking for. Gives Kovy another Russian to play on the top line with him. And frees up a spot so Larsson can get back into the lineup.
I'd rather keep Greene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1devilsfan View Post
ROR + late pick for Teddy, Urbom? Lou works his cap as well
We'd do it, they wouldn't.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
DevilsAnimal*

What if we Tedenby + Urbom for Cammalari

Old
01-29-2013, 11:02 PM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
What if we Tedenby + Urbom for Cammalari
Devils would need to add. I don't know why Montreal does this.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Montreal cant do this

as they dont have the required Assets

Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 PM
EnglishDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Cammalleri plays for the Flames again now; and after what i've seen of him recently he definitely isn't worth the price tag (6M this year and next), i doubt he'd want to leave Calgary for a second time, besides another year at 6M would be a brutal use of resources for a player that simply isn't worth that kind of money. The upcoming FA class is pretty damn good, i'd rather stand pat than acquire an overpaid player like Cammalleri that will diminish our financial flexibility in the off-season. He'd improve our team yes, but 6M is just too rich for my taste, if his contract were up at the end of the year then i'd be interested.

However with the acquisitions of Cervenka and Hudler, the Flames definitely do have an abundance of forwards available and could probably use some defensive help; one player i'd definitely be interested in looking at is Lee Stempniak (2.5M cap hit for one more season after this one). Perhaps a deal around Tallinder/Volchenkov and Stempniak could be good for both sides.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Im still set on a

Tallinder, Volch, 2nd, Clermont, Tedenby, Urbom
Iginla, Baertschi

deal :B

Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Rella17

dont think Tallinder is going to return much, gotta throw more in there

Old
01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
EnglishDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAnimal View Post
Im still set on a

Tallinder, Volch, 2nd, Clermont, Tedenby, Urbom
Iginla, Baertschi

deal :B
Flames wouldn't touch this deal sadly; quality >>> quantity. Plus i gather they're pretty high on Baertschi, and i think Iginla is going to be a flame for life. The reality is that Tedenby, Urbom and Clermont hold little to no value at all, to any team. Late round picks at best. Volchenkov is signed for a long time with a NTC (and not particularly cheap either) and Tallinder is no spring chicken. Calgary gets virtually no valuable assets in this trade.

If we wanted Iginla, it would cost us more like our 2013 1st, Merrill and some other valuable assets that would aid them in a rebuild. Not veterans like Tallinder with soon to expire contracts (They might go for Volchenkov since their D isn't particularly physical and he's probably got 4 good seasons left at least).

Old
01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
DevilsAnimal*

Im willing to trade this entire team for Baertschi <3

Closed Thread