HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

0-3 Need Minimalist GDT 1.25.13

Old
01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Your 65 goal scorer starts with 2 assists in 4 games and you're bringing this? How is that "balanced" hockey system change working again? We need the team to do what they used to be great at - scoring, and especially Ovechkin. He won't be a great defensive player anyway.
OV has one assist.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Agree. The penalty green got in ot was cheap. Two hands on stick and hardly hit the guy. He played well except the one breakaway he gave up.
That was textbook interference......I'm not blaming him as puck took a bad hop on rough ice. If however he doesn't interfere it's a breakaway or odd man rush. He did what he had too.....

All that said you would like to see him cut the wall off with his body in that situation and not rely on his stick alone to keep puck in front of him.....but his general awareness has never been that great with things like that

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
That was textbook interference......I'm not blaming him as puck took a bad hop on rough ice. If however he doesn't interfere it's a breakaway or odd man rush. He did what he had too.....

All that said you would like to see him cut the wall off with his body in that situation and not rely on his stick alone to keep puck in front of him.....but his general awareness has never been that great with things like that
That same pick play seems to happen very often IMO. Possible odd man but Alzner looked in good shape.

I think it had a little to do with the caps power parade they received as well.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Your 65 goal scorer starts with 2 assists in 4 games and you're bringing this? How is that "balanced" hockey system change working again? We need the team to do what they used to be great at - scoring, and especially Ovechkin. He won't be a great defensive player anyway.
It's the mental things on defense he needs to clear up. Remember the game he got ejected vs Chicago for breaking Campbell's collarbone?

Backstrom turned the puck over in ot. He then went,took it back and eventually scored in a great effort. Either way this is what Ovie seemed to be trying last night. Being the hero after a turnover. The difference is that Backstrom being a center gets a little room to roam where Ovie needed to be on that point man.

He caused confusion and with this team it turns into complete chaos at times and easy goal.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
It's no surprise that with Semin gone the lose-lose analysis of Green's play seems to be becoming more pronounced. If he scores, he gets called out for his defensive play; if he plays well enough defensively but doesn't score, we're reminded that he's paid for his offense. Like Semin, he's a flawed player whose flaws at times manifest themselves in really ugly ways, but, like Semin was, he's less flawed than just about everyone else on the team.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:30 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its tough not to focus on OV as our best player, our C, the face of our franchise, biggest cap hit etc.

The list of wild conspiracy theories of the possible things that happened to his game is a rather impressive list. Olympic peak, bored, injured wrist, pressure to be a captain, solved by the league, out of shape, Cherry's comments about his celebrations, BB asking him to tone it down after Malkin, the league crack down on him suspending him more than others, Gillette, changing sticks or skates, waiting for the playoffs, Nagel, thinks he may be better at a different position, non incentive based lifer contract already signed, the nuNHLite does not suit his bullish game... i am sure I am missing quite a few.

We may tend to focus on Ovi too much, but like Halpy said, "we" wanted lightning rod Semin gone, so things are going to be put on his back more than ever. Be careful what you wish for.

That said, he can still play hockey. He gets very little support. For all their greatness and chemistry, I sure don't see many ES plays between LW Ovi and Nick. May was right, a line needs to be formed and they need to learn to attack as one. Can Ovi wait, or can others keep up?

I found Oates's line generator by the way.

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/reso...s1/maths/dice/

We have no coordinated attack, no set plays from our top line and have not for some time. It needs to be resolved.
Thats a good list of reasons hah nice

He need to go back and watch ol tape of what worked..and find that energy.

bishop12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think its fair to consider that johansson's career has been a revolving door of systems and line assignments and positions. skating boudreau to trapping boudreau to no offense at all hunter to professor oates from center to right wing to left wing to center again.

that would be hard on a veteran. on a 22 year old.....

at this point those players impressing are significantly outnumbered by those not. i suppose much of the johansson criticism is accurate. i think ovechkin and backstrom have been only marginally better though. carlson has been worse.

i am good with neuvirth, green, poti, hendricks, beagle, crabb, ward, brouwer and maybe a couple others. thats about it.
Enough with the 'systems' talk. Holy ****...that'sthe biggest buzz word in the NHL these days. This isn't football. It's hckey. Simple. Are they playing with 4 forwards and 1 d?
Come on now...Mojo is just a 90 year old lady. Systems my ass

bishop12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:33 PM
coyote

plumbers

I wonder what OV felt like playing with what he calls plumbers?

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
they scored 5 on 3 which is more than what they usually do with those. i see no reason to complain about how they used that time.
the scored at the 2nd try, first one was scoreless

we had 5x3 two times in a row

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:18 PM
foundhockey

I absolutely believe Ovie still has the skill set to return to form. It's all mental right now. The guy's got enormous pressure on him. And if it's true that he reads about himself on the internet, ouch, ouch, ouch.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
I wonder what OV felt like playing with what he calls plumbers?
Hopefully he learned what work ethic is.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
I'm not looking for a goat. Hopefully you won't say green's PP passing was perfect?
perfect? it was no worse than backstrom's. did you see the seam pass that green made to ward to created the ribeiro goal?
i saw the one timer ov managed to get on goal. perfect pass from green. i saw green miss some passes. i saw backstrom miss as many.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
the scored at the 2nd try, first one was scoreless

we had 5x3 two times in a row
i saw that. i watched the game. and? they scored did they not? it was a nice play that scored the goal as well. yes? has getting two 5 on 3's in a game in the past meant that they scored one? i dont think so.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888

Love this one... Look at Ovechkins hit on Richards. Though if you are one of the doubters that there is a bias against the Caps, watch after the hit Ovechkin gets ****ing tackled and referee is looking right at it, no call.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:56 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Actually, they scored on the first and missed on the second.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Neuvy starts vs Sabres.

And...

Quote:
Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
#Caps on ice for practice. Looks like top line remains Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb.
Ugh.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

Love this one... Look at Ovechkins hit on Richards. Though if you are one of the doubters that there is a bias against the Caps, watch after the hit Ovechkin gets ****ing tackled and referee is looking right at it, no call.
Semin was the glue that held this team together. BRING BACK SASHA!

:p

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Semin was the glue that held this team together. BRING BACK SASHA!

:p
A line of Laich-Ribeiro-Semin would have worked great.

I can't wait for Laich to get back. He'll be a whipping boy on here again, but at least he plays hard. He's a good wing/pk guy. Just not a great C.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:59 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

I miss that OV. Whoever kidnapped him release him please. We have suffered enough!

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
A line of Laich-Ribeiro-Semin would have worked great.
Yeah when they brought in Ribeiro I was hoping they'd at least give it one season of having 2 legit scoring line center/winger pairs. And with the likes of Laich, Brouwer, Johansson, Chimera, and even Ward they had enough guys who could play complementary roles with those pairs to have a lot of scoring line options. Oh well...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Was curious to see how Jagr came into 2005-06 after he sucked for Washington for 3 years. Disappointed to notice he came in and started off hot.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2005

Old
01-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Actually, they scored on the first and missed on the second.
my mistake, sorry

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:00 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
my mistake, sorry
Not that it makes a difference; they still had over a minute of 5-on-3 and failed to score. Andy they can't kill a 5-on-3 to save their life.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
So he is fumbling pucks and getting knocked on his arse all the time because he is bored? Don't buy it. This team is no worse from a talent perspective than it was 3-4 years ago. Unless you include the old OV versus this version.
I don't think you understand what I'm selling. This team is absolutely, positively much, much worse. "Talent" perspective means nothing at all. I can get into that some more if you want.

When you break Ovechkin down by skills, he's not particularly inspiring. His skating his choppy. His backwards skating is AHL level. His move repetoire has always been small. He doesn't stickhandle much. He has no backhand. He's never been in ridiculous shape. What holds him together is enthusiasm. He is the most enthusiasm predicated player in the league. His game is falling on a railroad nail with his naked ass. All of his go to moves are epic highlight power moves that other players can pull off once every 10 games at best. If you don't have enthusiasm for it it's gonna get old really quick.

That's what the suspensions, team Russia, Halak etc. did. They sapped his enthusiasm, massively. One thing he could have gotten over, altogether not so much. It probably let to his physical abilities decreasing, but he's not Keith Tkachuk like most people seem to think now.

The biggest sole thing leading to loss of enthusiasm is knowing you will lose. Putting Ovechkin on a poorly assembled team that he can see losing from a mile away will mess with him. We may all be expecting him to keep robotically putting up MVP seasons with scrubs on teams he knows will probably fall apart in the spring, but that's not how his brain works. He's still gonna get up for the playoffs since it's in the heat of the moment, but he's not gonna be going gangbusters in the regular season. He still has most of his enthusiasm in the playoffs and is still an excellent performer there, if you hadn't noticed.

Do you know why last March was such a great month for him? He saw the team coming together into the most playoff-oriented team he's ever been on. That led to an increase of enthusiasm. If you want to bring old Ovechkin back, you don't bench him, you don't crap on him, you don't force him to watch old Ovechkin tapes clockwork orange style. You put him with a center and a winger who know how to create space, can defer to him like grinders defer to stars but still play at a top 6 level. We had that with Kozlov and Knuble but have no one right now. I kept proposing Weiss and Setoguchi, but Kulemin, Grabovski, O'Reilly, Glencross, Anisimov, etc. could also be those types of players. Guys that can always be in the right position for him so that 1 on 4 against the Devils (where he was doing the right thing even though all the lemmings here are crapping on him for it) doesn't happen. On the 2nd line, you put Backstrom with 2 top 6 caliber playoff oriented players, say Clowe or Penner on the left and Ryder or Perry or whoever on the right. Leave no holes on defense down to the 7D. Put together a high end 3rd line with guys like Zubrus or Kelly on it and a great cycling 4th line. Also bring in some ****ing CIS guys (like Zubrus and the aforementioned Anisimov) so he doesn't feel like he's at Camp David in the middle of the cold war. Put together a team that looks like it can legitimately win in the playoffs. Get Laviolette after the Flyers kick him to the curb and have him run his super offensive playoff friendly system. You'll see it all come together and have all of his enthusiasm come back. That's literally all it would take.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote