HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League LIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 12:56 AM
CanadianPirate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
how is this not a goalie? Columbus goal on the hawks.........very suspicious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Rs4p3GgyE24
Wow. That is an awful no goal. If that happened to the canucks this place would be melting down.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:06 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
he really isn't though. he was their best player last year and will probably be this year too
I don't think he will. IMO, this is/will be Eberle's team.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Nuck Bonino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
Wow. That is an awful no goal. If that happened to the canucks this place would be melting down.
IIRC, Columbus got screwed last year as well against LA in that whole Clockgate incident. Feel so sorry for that fan base, but I think that team is finally headed in the right direction with the Nash trade

Old
01-27-2013, 02:51 AM
jigsaw99

Justin Schultz is leading scoring for Edmonton +1 player too.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Justin Schultz is leading scoring for Edmonton +1 player too.
Yep I did a lot of *****ing when we lost out on him this summer... Even complained about Gillis and his inability to get this guy. And I would like to think that I'm a big Gillis supporter.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:00 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Yep I did a lot of *****ing when we lost out on him this summer... Even complained about Gillis and his inability to get this guy. And I would like to think that I'm a big Gillis supporter.
What would you have liked Gillis to do?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
What would you have liked Gillis to do?
What do you think? To have gotten the guy?

He tried. He failed.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:04 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
What do you think? To have gotten the guy?

He tried. He failed.
Goes without saying, no? I would like to find a cure for AIDS... doesn't guarantee I'll be successful even if I tried.

What do you think he should have done better then?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Quote:
Goes without saying, no? I would like to find a cure for AIDS... doesn't guarantee I'll be successful even if I tried.

What do you think he should have done better then?
Guranteed him ice time? This has been rehashed before no?

Old
01-27-2013, 05:52 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Probably, but is that the way you want the Nucks to operate though?

This kind of college UFA signing comes along so rarely anyway that's it's not worth screwing up your roster structure just to have a skilled rookie get guaranteed ice-time. The domino effect would be pretty bad on the rest of your team.

Say we promised him a spot but he doesn't perform well and is a detriment to the team - what if he becomes unhappy and demands to be traded if we send him down? We'd just have another Hodgson-like situation... a needless distraction.

No one is above, or greater than, the team.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:02 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Quote:
Probably, but is that the way you want the Nucks to operate though?

This kind of college UFA signing comes along so rarely anyway that's it's not worth screwing up your salary structure just to have a skilled rookie get guaranteed ice-time. The domino effect would be pretty bad on the rest of your team.

Say we promised him a spot but he doesn't perform well and is a detriment to the team - what if he becomes unhappy and demands to be traded if we send him down? Wed just have another Hodgson-like situation...
Yes this has been rehashed before with the same response.

I get what you're saying and Gillis probably had the same thought process as well. But I saw Schultz as someone that can contribute right away even on a deep team like the Canucks. I also saw someone that possesses ranchise potential and we are lacking a prospect, especially a defenseman in that department.

The Oilers obviously shared this belief and went out of their way to appease him (long list). They acquired their defenseman of the future so kudos to them.

Frankly, Schultz may have already made up his mind before the fiasco but the arguments you made were the same ones made months ago. Same ones that I would fault Gillis on.

As for comparing this to Hodgson. Hodgson netted us Kassian. I am very glad that we shipped him off because he did not what to be here. Bottom line is, I saw Schultz as a top 3 draft pick and I don't think Gillis did.

Last edited by Lord of Light: 01-27-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 06:18 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Yes this has been rehashed before with the same response.

I get what you're saying and Gillis probably had the same thought process as well. But I saw Schultz as someone that can contribute right away even on a deep team like the Canucks. I also saw someone that possesses ranchise potential and we are lacking a prospect, especially a defenseman in that department.

The Oilers obviously shared this belief and went out of their way to appease him (long list). They acquired their defenseman of the future so kudos to them.

Frankly, Schultz may have already made up his mind before the fiasco but the arguments you made were the same ones made months ago. Same ones that I would fault Gillis on.
Sure I would have loved to acquire a guy like him, but for a team to suck up to an unproven young D-man like the Oilers... it really lowers your leverage for negotiations in future as well. I feel the long-term consequences would not only be harmful to the salary structure but you also run the risk of your other young prospects not buying in, especially after veterans like the Sedins, Kesler and Bieksa have taken less to stay here and try to give the team a chance to win. And it's nothing to do with pride or ego or whatever too. If you built a team that way you would never get anywhere because everyone would be demanding promises of lots of ice-time. It's almost like a slippery slope.

Of course, it could also be that he just liked Edmonton more no matter what, so perhaps we'll never know.

MG may not be perfect, but I trust him to build a winner over Tambellini any day of the week.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Absolutely no to guaranteed ice time. If that was his deciding factor then good riddance.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Absolutely no to guaranteed ice time. If that was his deciding factor then good riddance.
This and nothing else.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:34 AM
Lord of Light
Sacrifice Benning

Good to see that we're not changing our tunes on this one.

Kinda hope that I'm proven wrong or else the Oilers are scary scary team. Maybe Lowe and Tambo can mess it up again

Old
01-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:

Kinda hope that I'm proven wrong or else the Oilers are scary scary team. Maybe Lowe and Tambo can mess it up again
Oil may or may not end up scary off-paper.

Think about it. If ice time guarantee was an issue enough for him to choose EDM over VAN then it means he would have been demanding it. Gillis would have done his usual which is "you get the ice time you earn". If he was confident enough in his skills to earn it he would have signed in VAN, if in fact that was the only deciding factor.

Just because you want something doesnt mean you will get it, especially when that "something" is a person with their own ideas, wants etc.

Like I said if earning his icetime was too much for JS then good riddance.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Lets talk about Ray Whitney...

Old
01-27-2013, 08:11 AM
jigsaw99

aaron rome's first game -2 and looks terrible

Old
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

The couple of blues games ive watched Halak has not impressed me what so ever.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

1) Sure they are - at both ends of the rink.

(reminds me of the old days of the West Coast Express at the prime; very entertaining during the regulars season - couldn't defend worth **** come playoff time).

2) How do you think they got all those great drafting positions? You don't get 1st or 2nd overall for several years consecutively by accident.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
1) Sure they are - at both ends of the rink.

(reminds me of the old days of the West Coast Express at the prime; very entertaining during the regulars season - couldn't defend worth **** come playoff time).
The difference being that Edmonton can't defend during the regular season either. I'm expecting them to be a bottom 10 team again.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
He didn't choose ice time.

He chose a fraternity like setting with players his age.

Tambellini fooled him with his 'special' players song and dance.

Gillis didnt have those 'special' young players to convince him.

Imagine what he could have done with the Twins.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Oil may or may not end up scary off-paper.

Think about it. If ice time guarantee was an issue enough for him to choose EDM over VAN then it means he would have been demanding it. Gillis would have done his usual which is "you get the ice time you earn". If he was confident enough in his skills to earn it he would have signed in VAN, if in fact that was the only deciding factor.

Just because you want something doesnt mean you will get it, especially when that "something" is a person with their own ideas, wants etc.

Like I said if earning his icetime was too much for JS then good riddance.
Agreed...Wanting more ice time as a rookie is what turned everyone against Cody Hodgson and got him shipped out of town...yet people are expecting Gillis to coddle and hand over guaranteed ice time to another rookie who hasn't even played a pro game yet. Not sure why people felt this was going to be a different situation.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

It's not like the kid really had a choice; when Messier phones you up and threatens to break your legs you do what you're told.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Agreed...Wanting more ice time as a rookie is what turned everyone against Cody Hodgson and got him shipped out of town...yet people are expecting Gillis to coddle and hand over guaranteed ice time to another rookie who hasn't even played a pro game yet. Not sure why people felt this was going to be a different situation.
Because Justin Schultz looks like a future hall of famer. Would have gone down as the best dman in Canuck history. Think Scott Niedermayer.

I would have told him the plan was to play him alongside Edler, with 1st unit PP time. If it didn't work out, alter course after the fact, with blue-chip asset in tow.

I love when we win the free agency sweepstakes we get Bill freaking Sweatt and when we're the bridesmaids the player goes to our rivals and looks poised to be a superstar. Essentially losing what amounts to the 1st overall pick in the draft.

Some things never change.

Closed Thread