HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

#4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
It seems that having faith is better than looking at the body of evidence.
But there is no "body of evidence", KIRK. We haven't exactly had the creme-de-la-creme of prospects come through here lately.

Despres is the best prospect we've had come through the ranks since Staal, and it's really not close. I don't think it's reasonable to judge what will happen with Despres by looking at how other, far lesser prospects have been handled.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
It's funny, I forget what it was on, maybe the last Road to the Winter Classic? When Bylsma ran into the now-Flyer-Talbot outside the locker rooms and said something like, "So, you're scoring goals now!" You could tell Talbot was thinking, "No ****, of course I'm scoring now!"
Yep. I remember that. Funny what happens when a coach has a clue how to use his players.

And, by the way, I was NOT joking about Vitale. The guy forechecks hard and fast, can make some plays, knows how and when to share the puck and how and when to support, plays responsible two way hockey, and has fair hands. No ******* way that guy EVER should see a shot with Geno and Neal when nothing else is working, not with the concession guy available to suit up on a moments notice.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Name me one young player who, after leaving the Pens, went on to flourish elsewhere.

Actually, name me a single FORWARD who was already an established NHL'er that came here, then moved on to have success and everyone here said: "Man, we should have kept that guy..."

Fact: Shere's been drafting defensemen left and right, particularly in the first round, so I'm still waiting for someone to name that blue chipper who's growth has been stunted by the coaching staff.

Fact: Name ONE forward in the Pens system since the lockout - I'm giving you a span of 8 years to find a single name - that was lighting up the AHL, then came up to the big club and did nothing. The fact is, you won't find a single one.

I can't take this Tangradi thing anymore. I understand why it's happening mind you, because this blind homerism that creates the belief that anyone who puts on YOUR favorite team's uniform will automatically develop into a top tier NHL player is something I'm all too familiar with, but this has gone beyond any rationale.

Average skater
Average hands
And the biggest sin of all, a big body that doesn't actually seem to enjoy being physical

He knew this was his last stand, and he still barely did **** all at the AHL level. I for one can't wait until he's traded to Toronto, then sent to the Marlies, then never heard from again.
What I've written isn't about Tangradi. ****, as I've said, look at how your boy Therrien used Talbot when he was two years into the league. He saw there was a little more on some nights than a typical fourth liner.

You know who that reminds me of? Vitale. Not for a defensive zone draw. But, how about a couple of shifts, at least in a game like Toronto where you're supposedly trying everyone.

FACT: Bylsma has shown NOTHING to suggest that he knows how to handle the development of any young player, of any pedigree, beyond his getting a bubble NHL role.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Random 4 mix for game 4.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

His only tactic to get a young player to play better and/or more consistently is to reduce their minutes, bench them, or scratch them. Pretty good way to grow a young kids confidence if you ask me. Also not the least bit hypocritical, because veterans never make the same mistakes, don't produce, or don't fit well on lines.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm not sure where I fall on this. More mins in the A or less time in the NHL. One things for sure is that I do not want to see him get top 4 NHL mins.
Nothing wrong with a rookie playing on the 3rd pairing.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
First off I'm not sure why you are grouping Tangradi and Despres together since they are entirely different players, age, position, and pedigree. Secondly, the last paragraph is laughable. You have basically written off a prospect that has looked very promising in the few NHL games he has gotten because of what? I would love to hear what evidence (stats driven or not) that you have to support this claim. Your labeling of Despres as "an offensive dman" shows you don't know a damn thing about him or the player he is projected to become. Carry on stats man.
See, here's something I haven't heard anyone address:

The reason playing Despres now matters is for April. He's going to have his growing pains, but, as he works through them and gains NHL experience, it's the type of thing that really could help the team as the playoffs roll around.

Lovejoy . . . the guy is a serviceable regular season defenseman on most nights. How does THAT help you in the playoffs.

You want to scratch Despres to get Bortuzzo in there. I get that, even though the bigger problem with the third pairing so far has been Engo, not Despres. But, Despres out, Lovejoy in . . . this is the fringe NHL player now coach going with fringe guys whose presence in the lineup does nothing to win a cup.

As Jiggy noted, Brayon Schenn played like hot garbage for a 20 game stretch. Couturier went through huge growing pains. Lavs kept throwing them out there, because he knew that it was April, not January, that mattered.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But there is no "body of evidence", KIRK. We haven't exactly had the creme-de-la-creme of prospects come through here lately.

Despres is the best prospect we've had come through the ranks since Staal, and it's really not close. I don't think it's reasonable to judge what will happen with Despres by looking at how other, far lesser prospects have been handled.
Unless the pattern of treatment is the same?

But, we could go in other directions. Morrow, last year at camp, with Orpik out to open the season, earned a cup of coffee in the same way that Letang did. No cup of coffee. After all, we had Ben Lovejoy.

Jeffrey?

And, as I've said, compare how Therrien used a spark plug who brought a little more than a typical fourth liner in Talbot and how Bylsma has used Vitale.

I hope you're right. I really do.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:19 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

So nothing needs added or changed???

Old
01-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
So nothing needs added or changed???
Bring in Scotty Bowman.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Bring in Scotty Bowman.
Dave Tippett is fine.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I am excited for the game tonight. The Jets crowd is always pumped up. Makes for a great atmosphere. Unlike the valium induced walking zombie crowds at Consol.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
WTF? Why does MAF get this start instead of Tommy V?
Give him a chance to bounce back before turning to Vokoun again

Old
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Boocock

It all depends on whether or not the Penguins wish to suck it up and accept the fact that they are rebuilding their secondary scoring and defensive corps. I thought the Staal and Michalek trades demonstrated that these events were upon us. Didn't Shero state that it was time for a minor rebuild?

Our complaints echo many of those of the Wings fanbase. Considering the fact that many fans wanted the Penguins to model themselves off of that organization, I guess you should be careful what you wish for.

Winning a Stanley Cup one season doesn't mean that you should expect to win every season. Guerin, Talbot, Fedotenko, Staal, Satan, Gill, Scuderi, Gonchar, Eaton, Boucher, and Goligoski are gone. Let's face reality, alright?

For the record, I'm fine with a fourth line Eric Tangradi if he's getting regular fourth line minutes. This post is in reference to Simon Despres.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Dave Tippett is fine.
He would have been great to have in 2001.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:37 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I took a shot at the Pen's crowd for being so quiet, but damn, we can sure buy merchandise.

From the Trib.

• Also on Wednesday, the Penguins reported around $500,000 in merchandise sales at the PensGear stores at Consol Energy Center and SouthSide Works. Merchandise was sold at a 50-percent discount. That will continue on days of the next three home games.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
He would have been great to have in 2001.
Among other times.

You know, I was thinking about this earlier. After Bylsma put his full stamp on the team, starting at 2009 camp, thereby erasing the 'stench' of Therrien (in the same way the 'stench' of Scotty Bowman was erased about 15 years previously), things have pretty quickly morphed into the old country club atmosphere.

Useless vets get roles. There's no plan for or demonstrated ability from the coaching staff to develop young talented players (Morozov). There's no accountability. The only real difference is that Sid and Geno have replaced Mario and Jagr.

Well, if the pattern holds, it should be another one and done, and the GM will go to a hard ***.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

RE: the noise, I'd love to have access to some demographic stats. I don't think it's an income thing, I think in some rowdy arenas, you have a lot of younger professionals without kids. In Pittsburgh I go to games and see WAY too many offspring and/or old people.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I took a shot at the Pen's crowd for being so quiet, but damn, we can sure buy merchandise.

From the Trib.

Also on Wednesday, the Penguins reported around $500,000 in merchandise sales at the PensGear stores at Consol Energy Center and SouthSide Works. Merchandise was sold at a 50-percent discount. That will continue on days of the next three home games.

We suits do not actually cheer. But we do know how to spend. OMG, Look at the boobs on that girl.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

LGP!!!

Old
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Lets go Pens!

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Unless the pattern of treatment is the same?

But, we could go in other directions. Morrow, last year at camp, with Orpik out to open the season, earned a cup of coffee in the same way that Letang did. No cup of coffee. After all, we had Ben Lovejoy.

Jeffrey?

And, as I've said, compare how Therrien used a spark plug who brought a little more than a typical fourth liner in Talbot and how Bylsma has used Vitale.

I hope you're right. I really do.
That's it?

An injured guy and someone who at best - at best - would have played nine whole games?

Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Old
01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
I could see them doing a 'Crosby's better' chant when Malkin is on the ice.

And then 'Malkin's better' when Crosby is on the ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:54 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

I guess it's because everyone already feels like we're in playoff mode, but holy hell is there a lot of overreacting on here. I've had to ignore more people this past week than I have in my three years on this board.

Everyone take a deep breath lol.

Closed Thread