HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Coachella 2013

Old
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Bruv
to here knows when

vCash: 500
damn, wish I could go

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
StringerBell

Since when did Phoenix get big enough to headline a day at Coachella? Lineup does look a little weak this year.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

But will The Joker be there?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:08 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

So there's been a lot of banter online the past 24 hours about the lineup and how it's bad this year. I don't get the hate. You really have everything, underground hip hop (El-P/Aesop Rock/Earl The Sweatshirt), a budding RnB superstar (Janelle Monae), electronic (Bassnectar/Infected Mushroom), a 70-year old man in Sixto Rodriguez who is the music industry's Rudy, an amazingly creative up and coming rock band from Australia called Tame Impala, The Gaslight Anthem, Four Tet, Dinosaur Jr, etc. The headliners are fine too. Even if you don't like their new music RHCP always brings the energy and funk live, Blur is great, and the Stone Roses have played what...like five gigs since 1991 (they didn't tour in 1994 if memory serves me correct)? There are millions of people who would give anything to see just the Stone Roses.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Would go just to see Tame Impala. Also wouldn't mind seeing Yeasayer, Grimes, Beach House, Phoenix.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
the Stone Roses have played what...like five gigs since 1991 (they didn't tour in 1994 if memory serves me correct)? There are millions of people who would give anything to see just the Stone Roses.
haha, this made think of this - http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/68363

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Since when did Phoenix get big enough to headline a day at Coachella? Lineup does look a little weak this year.
Feels like they had big last minute cancellation on Saturday *cough rolling stones cough*

Old
01-26-2013, 04:32 PM
TheAntiPrice

I thought Coachella was supposed to be the biggest mainstream festival of the year? Since when have they gone all indie? (Not that I'm complaining).

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
I thought Coachella was supposed to be the biggest mainstream festival of the year? Since when have they gone all indie? (Not that I'm complaining).
Their middlecard is always a huge mix of indie, electronic, popular and rising bands. Throw in 1 or 2 re-united bands and a few massive headliners and boom. There you have it.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Tribu

Wow...this is just an unbelievable lineup. Wish we had something like this in Montreal So many bands I like

Tribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:11 AM
TheDanceOfMaternity

This is the first year I can remember where I looked at the lineup and immediately threw away any thought of going. I always know a few dozen people who go living in CA.

For me, I've never seen the appeal of dishing $300 to see maybe half a dozen bands that you kind of like but aren't too into. Not really into sleeping for a few hours a day in my car in 100 degree heat either. Sour grapes, I guess.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:59 AM
KingLB

I just feel like Phoenix/Blur would not have been headliners the last few years (though I really like Blur). Not to mention they are missing that "big non-rock" act they have had the last few years, Kanye/Dre and Snoop etc.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:15 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
As Lord of Bones said, the middlecard is always the top indie, electronic, etc. acts. Those are the ones that make me want to go every year.

The fact the headliners have a bigger indie swing this year is why I'm so into that line-up. Usually Coachella has the deepest line-up, but the worst headliners of the festivals for my tastes...this year most of the headliners interest me. Probably not enough to actually get me to go (the train trip takes precedence and I can't do both even if they didn't overlap), but still. This gives me a nice fall-back option if things fall through.

Phoenix and Blur definitely don't seem like Coachella headliners of the past...and they'd be 2 of the top 5 acts I'd be looking forward to out of that line-up.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:33 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
As Lord of Bones said, the middlecard is always the top indie, electronic, etc. acts. Those are the ones that make me want to go every year.

The fact the headliners have a bigger indie swing this year is why I'm so into that line-up. Usually Coachella has the deepest line-up, but the worst headliners of the festivals for my tastes...this year most of the headliners interest me. Probably not enough to actually get me to go (the train trip takes precedence and I can't do both even if they didn't overlap), but still. This gives me a nice fall-back option if things fall through.

Phoenix and Blur definitely don't seem like Coachella headliners of the past...and they'd be 2 of the top 5 acts I'd be looking forward to out of that line-up.
Kind of off topic, but I was looking at Sasquatch rumors at it looks like it's confirmed that Nick Offerman / Ron Swanson will be at the festival.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Kind of off topic, but I was looking at Sasquatch rumors at it looks like it's confirmed that Nick Offerman / Ron Swanson will be at the festival.
...naturally.

Between the train trip and a trip back to Missoula for a wedding in August there is no way I could pull that off again, though my 'old' Missoula Sasquatch group is trying to get that going again...though none of us are still in Missoula anymore...

But then again I'll be pretty sad if I can't see him do a show around LA at some point. I need to start remembering that I'm in LA and that I have a damn good chance of seeing just about any band individually eventually, unlike in Montana.

If I did wind up going to Coachella the #1 band I'd be looking forward to would be Sigur Rós, who I've never seen and has been one of my favorite bands for over a decade...but they're no strangers to LA. I don't think I'd ever been in the same state as they've been in until I moved here...hell, even when I was in Iceland they were touring in England.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-28-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:41 PM
duckchobbins

Obviously just my opinion, but I always found these 3 day festivals to be horribly overpriced for 1 or 2 decent acts and 100 forgettable names.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:55 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasoad View Post
Wow...this is just an unbelievable lineup. Wish we had something like this in Montreal So many bands I like
Osheaga is pretty decent I'd say.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Would got for them.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:26 PM
BPR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Even if you don't like their new music RHCP always brings the energy and funk live, Blur is great, and the Stone Roses have played what...like five gigs since 1991 (they didn't tour in 1994 if memory serves me correct)? There are millions of people who would give anything to see just the Stone Roses.
They toured from 1994-1996 but the lineup was disintegrating the whole time. Think Reni was there for only a few shows, then Squire left because he broke his collar bone, came back for a few shows, then left the band permanently. I doubt they played more than ten shows with the classic lineup. There are some hideously awful bootlegs floating around from that time if you're a masochist. 1996 Reading being about the worst thing I've ever heard.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Forever27

Badass lineup. I hope Sasquatch can compete. Lots of good bands in there...

Friday: Blur, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LOU REED, How to Destroy Angels just to see what Reznor is up to, Band of Horses, Of Monsters and Men, Metric, Local Natives, the JAPANDROIDS oh yeah, Wolfgang Gartner would all be must sees for me.

Saturday: Not nearly as many big ones here. I'd see Moby and Fanz Ferdinand.... because I've heard of them. But Dropkick Murphys Kurt Vile and Reignwolf would be the must sees. Reignwolf is amazeballs live.

Sunday: RHCP aren't as big a draw for me without Frusciante but they'd still be the headliner to see. Pretty Lights, the Lumineers, Gaslight Anthem, Dinosaur Jr. all must sees.

All in all a strong strong lineup.

Forever27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Canadian Game
Sportsnet sucks

Seems a little weaker than past years although there are some great shows I would want to see:
Friday: Blur, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, Metric, Of Monsters and Men
Saturday: Benny Benassi, Moby, Franz Ferdinand, Fredde Le Grand
Sunday: RHCP (my favorite band), Eric Prydz, Paul Oakenfold

Thought I would post this picture as well since I saw it the other day and had a few laughs

Canadian Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 02:09 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Ummmm. bump?

Will be interested to watch acts today including:

Yeasayer, Phoenix, the XX, Buffy Clyro, Reignwolf and maybe some Danny Brown.

Pumped to see Tame Impala on Sunday, as always.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:36 PM
belair

Watched the stream last night. Yeah Yeah Yeah's set was borderline legendary. Other strong showings from Johnny Marr, Metric, Foals and Of Monsters and Men. Blur and Modest Mouse could've been better.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Krishna

I'm hoping they stream some of the Sahara Tent's sets

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Daft Punk had a teaser shown last night.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote