HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Race to the Bottom - Rebuild Thread.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You think Grabo is worth 5.5? Dion at 6.5? Komi at 4.5? Lupul at 5.25?

64M cap next year, it's going down, every $ counts, we have have Dion and Kessel playing with Kostka's or Hamilton's the next 5 years if you want to be so loose with your money.
We are the only franchise to hit 1 billion in hockey, I think we'll live. That .5 Million won't hamper us unless we trade for crosby anytime soon.

01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

64M cap next year, it's going down, every $ counts, we have have Dion and Kessel playing with Kostka's or Hamilton's the next 5 years if you want to be so loose with your money.
Bozak, Mac, Connolly, and Komi can ALL GTFO before Grabovski.... we should have plenty of space then, and room to let our youngsters develop.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Bozak, Mac, Connolly, and Komi can ALL GTFO before Grabovski.... we should have plenty of space then, and room to let our youngsters develop.
Agreed. Move any one of them and we'll be fine, no worries again, and even then I don't care about us on the cap hit, they'll be off the book by the end of this season. No problem.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Where is Suter's wife from?

Where was Parise born and raised?

Are you trying to ignore these, for the sake of making an argument, or did you seriously just not know..?
Where is Perry from again

You mentioned Getzlaf and Perry but they haven`t even hit free agency.

UFAs sign with different teams for different reasons all the time. Salary is right up at the top of the reason. The city itself is also major reason (player from there, wife from there),etc. The GTA produces more players then anywhere else.

If the Leafs have everything lined up why can`t we sign a top free agent

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Leafs should never be under the cap with how much they make and charge their clients.

The cap hit that Grabovski has is not an issue whatsoever.

If you don't like him fine, but tell me who you want to give his money to?

Do you think they won't make a bid on Perry or Getzlaf because of Grabovski's cap?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post

UFAs sign with different teams for different reasons all the time. Salary is right up at the top of the reason. The city itself is also major reason (player from there, wife from there),etc. The GTA produces more players then anywhere else.

Where did I mention Perry and Getzlaf?
I'll wait.

and uhhh, it was quite evident that hometown roots, and family, respectively, played into those players' decisions

Old
01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
ErikP803

Quote:
Where is Suter's wife from?

Where was Parise born and raised?

Are you trying to ignore these, for the sake of making an argument, or did you seriously just not know..?
And the million dollar question now is, does Corey Perry follow suit and sign where he was born and raised as well with his childhood team, and bring his good friend Getzlaf with him? Lets hope history repeats itself a little :p

ErikP803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Minnesota wilds have made the playoffs every year except hat one year due to injuries and brain fart. And you are telling me the team that hasn't made the playoffs since the previous lockout would be an ideal location for a stanley cup winner prolly looking for a good contract for his career? I mean I love the leafs and im going to watch this team till I die but that doesn't mean I blindly hope for it.

If perry comes here, I'd be ecstatic but we'd have to give him a solid reason to come here.

Old
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Leafs should never be under the cap with how much they make and charge their clients.

Do you think they won't make a bid on Perry or Getzlaf because of Grabovski's cap?
This is just the thing, everyone's crying about his cap hit, like it's going to hinder us from bidding for top players.... they always have some paper thin excuse, that really doesn't add up.

He's not hurting us at all. In any way.
Not one bit.

Old
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
And it isn't like any of the prospects / Marlies are making a push for a big contract. They'll get a Bozak type deal if they're lucky as RFA's.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
We are the only franchise to hit 1 billion in hockey, I think we'll live. That .5 Million won't hamper us unless we trade for crosby anytime soon.
There are better options than Grabo at 5.5M as the #2C, think this is the missed point. One he is taking up a roster spot that is looking like Kadri's more and more by next season, and 2 he is taking up valuable capspace to improve other areas this team needs to address. 1G, #1D, #1C, ect...Again people want a winner but don't want to let go certain players.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
This is just the thing, everyone's crying about his cap hit, like it's going to hinder us from bidding for top players.... they always have some paper thin excuse, that really doesn't add up.

He's not hurting us at all. In any way.
Not one bit.
What's ironic is we can easily move a player like Bozie, Macarthur, Connolly (who is also a Free-agent this year) and Komisarek, heck even liles if Gards shows he is offensively ready and make plenty of cap space. However it must be Grabovski, our best two way center without a doubt.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:

we will have like 15 mil in space this summer, cap space is the least of our worries, dont know why there is a fuss over grabo's cap hit.

rdawg1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Interactif

Quote:

Same post to LR to you, won't repost.

How about Weiss at 3.1? Better player than Grabo, paid less, and he's a UFA next summer.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
There are better options than Grabo at 5.5M as the #2C, think this is the missed point. One he is taking up a roster spot that is looking like Kadri's more and more by next season, and 2 he is taking up valuable capspace to improve other areas this team needs to address. 1G, #1D, #1C, ect...Again people want a winner but don't want to let go certain players.
Name names!

Kadri has a long way to go before he's knocking Grabovski off the 2nd. line. Last night was an example of where he was buried by the opposition.

Old
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Where did I mention Perry and Getzlaf?
I'll wait.

and uhhh, it was quite evident that hometown roots, and family, respectively, played into those players' decisions
Post number 290.

Old
Erdinger

Quote:
What's ironic is we can easily move a player like Bozie, Macarthur, Connolly (who is also a Free-agent this year) and Komisarek, heck even liles if Gards shows he is offensively ready and make plenty of cap space. However it must be Grabovski, our best two way center without a doubt.
I don't want to move Grabo but despite the sentiment some hold here that he is overpaid I think there are a number of contending teams that would be happy to take him and his contract on.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
1. He can easily be moved to the wing. He's a dynamic player that can be a threat from multiple positions. And hey, if he's that poor defensively (as you suggest he is), being on the wing will be good for him, right?

2. Nooooo, people want to get rid of those players that merit being rid of, not ones who are versatile, and play an important role with the club.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Post number 290.
I believe you're confusing me with LR.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Who in the free-agency do you think is the better second line center? Last time I recall, Kesler isn't available, neither is Mike Richards.

I've been in the Kadri Bandwagon since I actually started to follow him, and I know what he is capable of. If Carlyle follows the simple rules of shifting him the correct times, Grabovski wouldn't even take his time. We've seen Colorado use 3 centers with atleast 19-18 minutes each no problem, so I really doubt he would give us ANY issue.

You constantly are talking about cap-space but who on earth are you trying to sign and why must it be Grabovski that moves for the cap space? You are frustrated about his contract having a cap hit of 5.5 right? Well let's see connolly is 4.25, he's GONE this off-season. So that gives us 1.25 of grabo's apparently huge caphit, and then we also lose steckel, 1.1 mil right there, so now we are stuck with .15, oh look at that ! Kostka is .6 mil so lets not re-sign him and get a younger prospect to play. BOOM! the entire caphit space thing is completely gone.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Name names!

Kadri has a long way to go before he's knocking Grabovski off the 2nd. line. Last night was an example of where he was buried by the opposition.
Long way, small sample, but playing with Komarov and Macarthur and not JVR and Kulemin he has 5 pts in 5 games, 1 more than Grabo, plays far less mins, all in his first full 48 game season, I don't think he is far off as you think. Even his most harshest critics would agree he is looking good this season.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
. The GTA produces more players then anywhere else.

you're pretty much forgetting the elephant in the room. when things are not going well, Toronto is a hockey circus and not a desirable place to play in AT ALL. why would a FA put up with all the scrutiny and frustration from the fans and the media? it's the biggest hockey market, it comes with the territory.

we haven't signed ONE impact FA since the lockout pretty much and like half the nhl is from here... did you ever ask yourself why?

if we ever get back to prestige, we MAY have a chance at elite FAs

montreal is becoming the same as toronto when it comes to elite FAs. both of us are relegated to overpaying for B-level UFAs.
you'd think they'd have an advantage with elite french players, but no chance. both teams will have to return through glory with prudent drafting before FAs are even a factor..

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Same post to LR to you, won't repost.

How about Weiss at 3.1? Better player than Grabo, paid less, and he's a UFA next summer.
Toronto boy who can play with a bit of better skill but his two-way game and aggressiveness is not near as Grabovski's at all.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
you're pretty much forgetting the elephant in the room. when things are not going well, Toronto is a hockey circus and not a desirable place to play in AT ALL. why would a FA put up with all the scrutiny and frustration from the fans and the media? it's the biggest hockey market, it comes with the territory.

we haven't signed ONE impact FA since the lockout pretty much and like half the nhl is from here... did you ever ask yourself why?

if we ever get back to prestige, we MAY have a chance at elite FAs

montreal is becoming the same as toronto when it comes to elite FAs. both of us are relegated to overpaying for B-level UFAs.
you'd think they'd have an advantage with elite french players, but no chance. both teams will have to return through glory with prudent drafting before FAs are even a factor..
Great post

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Grabo makes more then any of those players.

Bozie makes very little. If he wants a significant raise, adios but he won`t get much in return. Maybe a 2nd.

CMac should be traded but also won`t net much in return.

Connolly is already pretyy much out of the equation.

Nobody wants Komisarek at that cap hit and is still a potential buy out candidate.

Grabo will have a far higher value at the deadline then in the off-season. My bet is in the off-season there will be very little interest in him. If we keep Grabo we return with the exact same core next year. Why not be proactive and trade a player at a high value point instead of waiting for that asset to decline. If we`re out of it by the deadline why should we care if an AHLer plays on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th line center slot.

We also don`t have as much cap space as people like to think next year.<

This team has a core of Kessel, Lupul, JVR and Kadri at forward. On D we`ve got Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner.