HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Here we go again: NHL and NHLPA to meet this week

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
AH

vCash: 500
Here we go again: NHL and NHLPA to meet this week

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=117467

I wonder if we are going to get a blow by blow account of these meetings from every major media outlet in Canada. Exciting times are here again.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Hab at it

I really doubt the NHLPA is interested in getting a deal done right now. As they've stated there is no urgency on their part as of now. It's as Bettman said last week, the PA will show up to, "discharge there legal duty to bargain in good faith" but IMO they will not be interested in getting a deal done. We've still got a long way to go.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Habbadasher

From what the players are telling the media, they are not backing down, and from the the NHL is saying to the media, their offer will be not as good as before. This will be fun.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:48 PM
AH

I just want it over with, one way or the other. Impasse, no impasse, whatever, just get it done. I am also not interested in watching replacement players.

ugh!!! what a mess.

Old
03-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Darz

I doubt either side wants to get a deal done at this time. If for some reason both sides could agree to a new contract within a week or so, both the players and the owners would be screaming at their respective leaders 'Why wasn't this agreed upon a month ago, when we could have still salvaged some of the season.'

I don't see an agreement happening to June/July at the earliest.

03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
red devil

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Duhatschek thinks that if the NHL can't get a deal done by the end of April, that they will start the process of using replacement players. Also, ESPN may not pick up their option for next season, and the NHL also wants to hold a the draft. Also, it seems that he thinks the players have no pressure to negotiate right now, but they should realize the less revenues the NHL generates, the less their offer will be.

Old
03-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Duhatschek thinks that if the NHL can't get a deal done by the end of April, that they will start the process of using replacement players. Also, ESPN may not pick up their option for next season, and the NHL also wants to hold a the draft. Also, it seems that he thinks the players have no pressure to negotiate right now, but they should realize the less revenues the NHL generates, the less their offer will be.
Well said.

This is the time of year that many companies decide where their advertizing money will be going for the next year... All the companies that would've chosen the NHL to advirtize will spend their $$ elsewhere. If the players don't realize that the longer they wait, the worst it's going to be for them, then we're in for a long time without hockey.

Old
03-07-2005, 03:08 PM
saskhab

So few of the NHLPA's membership have contracts through the 2005-06 season, so all the money that was up on those contracts that the players were "losing" during this cancelled season is gone. It's a different kind of negotiation, a different kind of pressure for the players. Past salaries are less relevant, just as past revenue levels are for the owners. You can either view this as positive or negative to the process... it is what it is.

Old
03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
BLONG7

These guys cannot agree on anything, I don't think there will ever be a deal with these two morons running the show...Gary and Bob both need to be replaced...They'll probably argue over who is gonna pay for lunch...but one thing for sure, Gary likes to have stuffed mushroom caps...and Bob will want to order something off of the uncapped open style free market menu...

Old
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Once I reach 2000 posts we have the agreement and a new season ( ) almost there

Old
03-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Well atleast their talking. Now where have i heard this before............

Old
03-07-2005, 07:53 PM
tritone

~returns to my drying paint~ Latex still in the lead and showing a remarkable lustre as we head into the post-season.

Old
03-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Once I reach 2000 posts we have the agreement and a new season ( ) almost there
You stand a good chance of getting stuck at 1999 for a long, long time.

Old
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
You notice that the reason that can't get along is because MTV and most radio station play music where you treat the other person like ass. Bring back The Beatles and Queen. "I get by with a little help from my friends" "Come Together" "Let it Be"

Old
03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

this is the crap that never ends, it goes on and on, my friends. Some dumb ***** (bettman and goodnow) started doing it, not knowing what it was, and they'll be negotiating forever just because this is the crap that never ends.....

Closed Thread