HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Start of season grade

Old
01-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Orpheus66

vCash: 500
Start of season grade

Offence: B+

We have not lost a game because of offence. We lost to Buffalo because Miller is an amazing goalie. It would have been rated higher if Kessel got a goal or two. I know he is snake bitten and i do believe he will start his streak this Saturday.

Defense: C- / B

In my opinion i think our defense has been alright. Not great but not really that terrible. I believe last night loss was due to fatigue and Carlyle mixing up the roster (i really do believe after last night showing Komisarek is here to stay). They will get a lot better and i am kind of hopeful. I would have also liked to see Rielly play 2/3 games this season but I have no idea who he would replace.

Goalies: F

Scrivens had the worst night of his life and most of the blame is on him in my opinion and not so much on our defense.
Reimer, in my opinion is our best option but that does not mean he is a good goalie. He will make a save but when push comes to shove and when the Leafs need a save Reimer will not be up to the task.

The sample size is just too small right now to say if the Leafs will/wont make the playoffs. I would like to see what happens when we play Boston, Phili or the Rangers (they have had, by far, the worst scheduled to start this season).

So, how would you grade the Leafs so far?

Orpheus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Hockey Crazy

Why do some of our fans have the memory span of a goldfish?

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Goalies are F. Dude let me have some of that stuff you're smoking. After one lousy game, you're writing off our goalies? Going into last night's game, we haven't allowed more than 2 goals. EVER.

6GA in 4GP.

Last night was terribad I agree but you're insane if you think one game is the benchmark of our goalies.

Note: I almost try to avoid coming onto the boards after a bad loss because all the "sky is falling" hobos crawl out of the woodwork.

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
AINEC*
AINEC

Thread should be titled "January 24th, 2013 Grade"

AINEC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Leafidelity
#BudsAllDay

vCash: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post
Thread should be titled "January 24th, 2013 Grade"
/thread

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
The Iceman

You know that you always get a report card in school the 1st week....
Hell, I could have an A in my first week of grade 6.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
bshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
Goalies are F. Dude let me have some of that stuff you're smoking. After one lousy game, you're writing off our goalies? Going into last night's game, we haven't allowed more than 2 goals. EVER.

6GA in 4GP.

Last night was terribad I agree but you're insane if you think one game is the benchmark of our goalies.

Note: I almost try to avoid coming onto the boards after a bad loss because all the "sky is falling" hobos crawl out of the woodwork.
6GA in 4GP?
Can i have some of the stuff you are smoking?
Try 11GA in 4GP

bshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Kingstonian84*

Offense- B: It's spread out throughout the roster, no one person is carrying the load soley which makes it tough on opposition to shut us down. Grabo and Kulemin had a slow start but are getting stronger as the season is going on, Kulemin espically is looking like the one from 2010/11. The only reason I don't give it an A is because Kessel hasn't scored, Lupul is injured and that 2-1 loss we had vs the sabres.

Defensive game-B: Everyone is buying into a defense first system and everyone is making the effort. However, there are still kinks in the armor espically when it comes to getting the puck out of the zone and too many ill-timed turnovers, this is something that MUST be addressed and fixed going forward.

Goaltending-C: Scrivens looked OK during the 1st game, very shaky but he made the saves (nothing flashy) during the win in Montreal but lets be clear the D in front of him kept 99% of the shots to the outside. Home opener in Buffalo, Scrivens didnt have much work, I believe he only faced 11 shots the whole game and only made 9 saves, not good enough if you want to be a legit goalie in this league. I thought Riemer played good (not great) against the pens despite coming off 10 months of no hockey, he made 28/30 saves BUT the 2 goals he let in were stinkers and one an NHL goalie should not allow. Scrivens game against the Islanders was just horrible, guy was letting in stinker after stinker, his positioning was awful and he gave up far too many rebounds, as for Reimer he did his best and can't do anything to stop that Moulson blast.

Overall- Average

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RtooDtu View Post
Offence: B+

We have not lost a game because of offence. We lost to Buffalo because Miller is an amazing goalie. It would have been rated higher if Kessel got a goal or two. I know he is snake bitten and i do believe he will start his streak this Saturday.

Defense: C- / B

In my opinion i think our defense has been alright. Not great but not really that terrible. I believe last night loss was due to fatigue and Carlyle mixing up the roster (i really do believe after last night showing Komisarek is here to stay). They will get a lot better and i am kind of hopeful. I would have also liked to see Rielly play 2/3 games this season but I have no idea who he would replace.

Goalies: F

Scrivens had the worst night of his life and most of the blame is on him in my opinion and not so much on our defense.
Reimer, in my opinion is our best option but that does not mean he is a good goalie. He will make a save but when push comes to shove and when the Leafs need a save Reimer will not be up to the task.

The sample size is just too small right now to say if the Leafs will/wont make the playoffs. I would like to see what happens when we play Boston, Phili or the Rangers (they have had, by far, the worst scheduled to start this season).

So, how would you grade the Leafs so far?
This is a joke right? There is 0% chance you had these opinions as of 10PM January 23rd.

Quit being so reactionary, if they win on Sat everything will be all rainbows and butterflies.

Auston Marlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaw View Post
6GA in 4GP?
Can i have some of the stuff you are smoking?
Try 11GA in 4GP
And 7 came in a single game. Don't use outliers to prove a point, it makes you look daft.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:49 PM
zeke
#freewilly

dudes and dudettes, it's been four games.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
bshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
And 7 came in a single game. Don't use outliers to prove a point, it makes you look daft.
6* and im not trying to prove a point smart guy. Im on the goaltendings side here i think we are fine

Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Too early to really grade the guys yet, especially without a true training camp and no preseason.

To those acting as though the sky is falling, starting the year 2-2 thru the first 4 is right where we should be, just not the way most thought. Many Figured at the beginning that Montreal and the Isles would be wins, Pittsburgh a loss, and Buffalo going either way.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
FireEverybody*

C+ for everyone.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Auston Marlander
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshaw View Post
6* and im not trying to prove a point smart guy. Im on the goaltendings side here i think we are fine
You were saying.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=16967

But yes we are fine.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
bshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You were saying.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=16967

But yes we are fine.
OP was refering to goalies i believe, there was an empty netter, so like i was saying..6.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Orpheus66

ok, wow i am really getting attacked here.

The point of the thread is to assign a grade and see how the team progresses. I never said the sky was falling and i did say this is a very small sample size. The impression i am getting early on in the season is the Leafs cannot rely on goal tending. Every game the Leafs win will not be because of goal tending but rather in spit of it and that's why it give a failing grade.

In my opinion, forgetting that the Isles got a open net goal, had Reimer been able to save that goal he let in the Leafs would have only been down a goal at the end and it would have been a totally different ending. We may still have lost but at least Reimer would have given them a chance to win. But Reimer let in a goal when the Leafs needed a save, and that's the game i saw last night.

Orpheus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*

Dear Leafs fans: B+

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:09 PM
achtungbaby

Let's talk about this again after they play 12 games, or a quarter of the season, shall we?

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
4 games. I repeat, 4 games, no real camp, no exhibition games, 3 extra months of frattin' the dog. These guys will be back at game shape only in a week if we are lucky. Plus all these games coming high and fast, RC can't find good time for quality practices.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
MrLegend28*

Offense - NA
Defense - NA
Special Teams - NA

reasoning: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

MrLegend28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

C.

5/10.

Whatever you want to call it

We're 2-2 so we are playing .500. Average.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

overall i give them a b-

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:48 PM
saint2e

In all seriousness, I'm impressed so far with the Leafs this year.

Game 1 - Ugly affair, but we fought it out
Game 2 - Gutsy performance, shut down by a world-class goaltender, but kept it respectable
Game 3 - Solid performance. Everyone played well, with a few mental breakdowns
Game 4 - Started off well, but playing the previous night definitely left everyone gassed, and the Islanders came back in a big way. Still fought the whole way, but didn't have enough in the tank.

There has not been a "Leafs lay an egg" game yet this year, in my opinion. They were plentiful in the latter half of last year, and I remember them well. I'm not saying we're playoff bound, but I'm saying that I'm impressed with the improvement over last year.

saint2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 855
I'd say the only thing that needs to be improved is the PP, especially 5on3. Last night could have put the game out of reach, but couldn't hit the net.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote