HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#04 | New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins | Jan 25 | 7:00PM | 2-4 L

Old
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Are we really gonna **** on John Tavares 4 games into the season?

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
roper22

Okposo hasn't earned his spot on the top line. Try Boyes out up there. Moulson had a bad game, but those are few and far between for him, so it's hard to get on his case. JT not having the greatest season so far but he's bound to come around.

Keith Aucoin has been the most impressive Islander so far this season. Just a shame that we're getting so much secondary scoring but now it seems our top line is in need of a shake-up.

roper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Just telling it like it is. I dont think he sucks... I think he has sucked.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Just telling it like it is. I dont think he sucks... I think he has sucked.
Tonight was the first game that he didn't look good. No he hasn't scored yet, but he didn't suck in the first 3 games either.

And for ****'s sake, if there's ONE guy who deserves some slack on this team, isn't it John ****ing Tavares?!

Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
JTROCKS

Really want to see Ullstrom get a crack at top line with JT

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:58 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Tonight was the first game that he didn't look good. No he hasn't scored yet, but he didn't suck in the first 3 games either.

And for ****'s sake, if there's ONE guy who deserves some slack on this team, isn't it John ****ing Tavares?!
I appologize, he has not sucked at all, but he is under performing quite a bit.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

DP wasn't horrible. Considering I thought he'd get lit up I thought he did okay.

01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
No need to apologize to me. And my comments were directed at you exclusively, even though you were the one I quoted.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I don 't think it's ragging on Tavares, to say he had a bad game or isn't playing well.

I'd like to see that first line broken up. I know Cappy said he put them together because of the way they played together last season and he didn't have time to experiment, but that line is not putting up points.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:02 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper22 View Post
Okposo hasn't earned his spot on the top line. Try Boyes out up there. Moulson had a bad game, but those are few and far between for him, so it's hard to get on his case. JT not having the greatest season so far but he's bound to come around.

Keith Aucoin has been the most impressive Islander so far this season. Just a shame that we're getting so much secondary scoring but now it seems our top line is in need of a shake-up.
It's ironic because our lack of secondary scoring really hurt the team last yr.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
JTROCKS

Listening to the postgame, as stubborn as Cappy can be, I think he changes up that top line Sunday---

JTROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheo View Post
He's a professional athlete. Most of these guys have a fire burning in their stomachs to be the best. That just doesn't go away. They won't be playing hockey forever, so why call it quits when you think there is even a glimmer of hope that you still have it?
Exactly and that's how I would be as well

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don 't think it's ragging on Tavares, to say he had a bad game or isn't playing well.

I'd like to see that first line broken up. I know Cappy said he put them together because of the way they played together last season and he didn't have time to experiment, but that line is not putting up points.
He didn't look good tonight. But although he has not scored a goal yet this season, he did not play badly in the first 3 games. Some are insinuating that he has. It's simply not true and a product of misdirected anger over tonight's loss. And again, even if he has sucked in every game, I don't think it's unreasonable to cut him some slack. I mean, he's only been the team's offensive engine and best overall player for the last 3 seasons. Why should he get the benefit of the doubt?

Old
01-25-2013, 09:06 PM
ds4130

Quote:
Maybe it's that I just don't want to admit that he has been under performing, but there's nobody else on his line who is really a threat. Moulson isn't known for his board work and Okposo is always getting the puck stripped from him. I see it as Johnny is doing too much and getting tired of it. We really need to trade solid pieces to get him some help, or at least shake up the lines and fine someone that he gels really well with.

ds4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROCKS View Post
Really want to see Ullstrom get a crack at top line with JT
I agree. I really like the way this kid plays. Hustles his ass off every shift. Like I always said also moulson is a good garbage goal scorer but he's still not a number one but is closer to being a number one than okposo. Really want to see bailey back and see how well he plays after the end of last year

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds4130 View Post
Maybe it's that I just don't want to admit that he has been under performing, but there's nobody else on his line who is really a threat. Moulson isn't known for his board work and Okposo is always getting the puck stripped from him. I see it as Johnny is doing too much and getting tired of it. We really need to trade solid pieces to get him some help, or at least shake up the lines and fine someone that he gels really well with.
I wouldn't mind switching Okposo for Boyes, although I don't think that will help much either. It appears that the loss of PAP may be more significant than some of us thought. It's not that PAP is the kind of player that is completely irreplaceable, it's just that there was no one on the roster to replace him with and they didn't get anyone from outside the org. Tavares and Moulson work, it's been proven for 3 seasons. They just need to find someone else that works well with them. KO doesn't appear to be it.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
ziggy7716

Joe Finley is terrible. I can't stress that enough. I never want to see him in a Islander uniform again. Not only was he the direct cause of the Bruins tying goal but his big useless carcass screened the ***** out of DP on the 3rd goal.

For the love of god I hope they put Martinek or Hickey in place of him on Sunday

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Joe Finley is terrible. I can't stress that enough. I never want to see him in a Islander uniform again. Not only was he the direct cause of the Bruins tying goal but his big useless carcass screened the ***** out of DP on the 3rd goal.

For the love of god I hope they put Martinek or Hickey in place of him on Sunday
I believe that was Lucic screening Rick and Streit doing nothing about it. Other than that, I agree. Finley has been terrible.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:15 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
I believe that was Lucic screening Rick and Streit doing nothing about it. Other than that, I agree. Finley has been terrible.
Its not just about being terrible. The point is, if we want to become a playoff team, we need to started adding players because they bring something to the table, not because they dont hurt us.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:

Since when do you need to earn a spot on the NY Islanders??

We give you a spot until you prove you don't deserve it................... Then we'll let you keep it anyway because we can't spend any more money.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:28 PM
stranger34

Quote:

We had a great first line last year... god forbid (Snow/Wang) keep it together

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Its not just about being terrible. The point is, if we want to become a playoff team, we need to started adding players because they bring something to the table, not because they dont hurt us.
I totally agree. Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen this season. If that's the case, they at least have to ice the players that don't hurt their chances of winning. Finley does right now. Maybe Hickey or Martinek won't.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

It's Friday night, so I'm gonna let my hair down and get crazy with a line projection:

Grabner - Tavares - Okposo

Moulson - Aucoin - Bailey

Ullstrom - Nielsen - Boyes

Martin - Cizikas - Joensuu/McDonald/Boulton

***Moulson can team up with his buddy Tavares on the first power play unit, as Grabner plays on the top PK unit.

*** Nino awaits the first call-up for a top 2 line spot in case of an injury or lack of production on our top 3 lines.

Reasoner: given a position as lead scout in Mali, Northern Africa.

Defense:

without Visnovsky:

Streit - Strait

MacDonald - Hamonic

Hickey - Carkner

Martinek - Finley (only plays if Carkner gets hurt)

with Viskovsky:

Streit - Hamonic

MacDonald - Visnovsky (Hickey)

Strait - Carkner

Hickey - Finley (only plays if Carkner gets hurt)

Defense is simple... Finley only plays if Carkner doesn't.. Never play them both together. If Viskovsky plays, Hickey and Martinek are 7 and 8. If no Vis, lets plug Hickey in instead of Finley and Martinek is #7 awaiting an injury.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
19NYSports91

Mark Streit is soooo bad defensively. 4th line sucks because of Reasoner and I don't see the point of playing Finley if he's barely going to play. I can't even blame DP for this loss, way too many turnovers and bad defensive positioning.

2nd goal- Idk what the hell Streit was doing.
3rd goal- Reasoner's fault.
4th goal- Carkner pinched in and we only had 1 guy back.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:43 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds4130 View Post
I agree with this. To focus on one bad night from Tavares is to ignore the way the other two can't help him.

Tavares deserves better than this.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote