HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

N. Korea Thread - Korean War back on? (Post #254)

Old
04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Totalitarianism is designed so that any ambivalence to the regime is viewed as criminal dissent, some of these people might not actually be entirely indoctrinated, they might just be trying to stay alive. CNN's 24-7 hate of the North Korean people is entirely baseless.

Authoritarianism- Punishes dissent, but doesn't mind if you're ambivalent.
Totalitarianism- Punishes ambivalence by means of establishing a national ideology that everyone must follow.

Stalinist Russia was totalitarian, as is North Korea and as was Fascist Italy. Nazi Germany slaughtered "others" but was otherwise authoritarian and China is currently authoritarian.
Exactly what I said earlier

There's a lot of propaganda, but people still defect. Most interesting thing was what I read earlier about the soldiers primarily being used to farm the fields. Therefore, they can't really afford to go to war

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Gif o' the day.
Everything about that guy makes me think of Data, right down to the rather robotic head movements as he watches the "missile" hit the ground at his feet and the clapping afterwards.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:32 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
These people are programmed from birth to hate America and US policy, and to bow down to "Great Leader", but you still have many people who don't buy into their crap and end up in camps or end up defecting. Think most of them are towing the party line just so they don't face punishment.
I read a book a couple of years ago where they went to South Korea and interviewed defectors from the North. Most of them defected because they were hungry more then anything. But they still had love for the Kim's and didn't blame them for being hungry and poor.

They blamed it on poor execution of the Kim's ideas.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Everything about that guy makes me think of Data, right down to the rather robotic head movements as he watches the "missile" hit the ground at his feet and the clapping afterwards.
Data would never be that stupid, respect Data man!

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Sharpshooter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Data would never be that stupid, respect Data man!
Not if he's 'Made in N.Korea'.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
I read a book a couple of years ago where they went to South Korea and interviewed defectors from the North. Most of them defected because they were hungry more then anything. But they still had love for the Kim's and didn't blame them for being hungry and poor.

Exactly. I saw a piece on a recent young defector who turned in his parents for disobeying the rules of the prison camp they were in. He was born into the prison. He knew by ratting on his parents they would be killed, but he believed in it.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Exactly. I saw a piece on a recent young defector who turned in his parents for disobeying the rules of the prison camp they were in. He was born into the prison. He knew by ratting on his parents they would be killed, but he believed in it.
This is like a page straight out of 1984.

And amazingly, there's zero hyperbole in that statement, which is pretty uncommon for times when real life gets compared to 1984.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Yeah, it was that 60 minutes piece? Chilling. He had no regret at all.

When he was escaping the camp with someone else, the other person got electrocuted, and he just crawled over him without any remorse at all.

Old
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
kov

Quote:
Yeah, it was that 60 minutes piece? Chilling. He had no regret at all.

When he was escaping the camp with someone else, the other person got electrocuted, and he just crawled over him without any remorse at all.
Having said all of that, the propaganda against other countries was quite easily destroyed by any exposure to anything or anybody from outside of NK. That's how that particular guy ended up defecting in the first place.

kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post

saw a documentary on NK defectors as the "coyote" business in the Chinese border is pretty lively..anyways, a woman escaped into China then into SK. Eventually paid money etc for her sister to be smuggled out into China. Long story short, after all of that, her sister was basically "nah it's all good I can't defect, can't do that to our dear leader", so she just went back into NK...

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
We managed to reprogram Japan.
The reprogramming of Japan, while on the surface, looks successful it really isn't.

Quote:
Jon Kerry's sudden arrival in S.Korea is pretty much a big "FU, I dare you", to Li'l Kim.

Let's see them launch a missile at S.K while the US SoS is there.
Why would they launch a missile at SK? They have mortars that can hit Seoul.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Japan wasn't reprogrammed per se

Their revisionist history defends the actions they took in WW2 as "liberating and helping to modernize" other countries

Old
04-13-2013, 01:13 PM
XX
... Waiting

China throws NK under the bus

Quote:
(Reuters) - The United States and China agree that the Korean peninsula must be denuclearized, top diplomats from both countries said on Saturday.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and China's top diplomat, State Councilor Yang Jiechi, made the comments following meetings between the two sides in Beijing.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93C06X20130413

Quote:
Kerry's Asia trip, which includes a stop in Tokyo on Sunday before flying home on Monday, takes place after weeks of shrill North Korean threats of war since the imposition of new U.N. sanctions in response to its third nuclear test in February.

North Korean television made no mention of Kerry's visit and devoted most of its reports to preparations for celebrations on Monday marking the birth date of state founder Kim Il-Sung.

But Rodong Sinmun, the ruling Workers' Party's newspaper, issued a fresh denunciation of joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises, saying: "If the enemies dare provoke (North Korea) while going reckless, it will immediately blow them up with an annihilating strike with the use of powerful nuclear means."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93C01Z20130413

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
CaptainCrunch67

Quote:
Read the book its called Escape from Camp 14, its the book about this kid.

Its a horrific look into a North Korean prison camp.

also Satellite photo's show massive construction at these camps since Kim Jung Un has taken power.

Whether the spoiled prince doesn't have much faith in being able to hold power, or he's a sadist that's going to crack down even harder on his people is up for debate.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Nothing is going to happen. This has been done before, in the 90's, and nothing happened. After all the copious research I have done regarding the issue, many analysts say it would be suicide for the Kim regime to have a go at South Korea. In addition, as I pointed out in previous articles, the North Korean army, in addition to being outdated and highly inferior to "Allied" US / SK forces, is primarily focused on farming.

There have been no signs of troop mobilizations to even suggest that NK is going to invade. And NK has talked pompously before against their rivals, to no avail. I thought it was interesting what many people are saying regarding the matter: NK is just talking like this to get international aid. They're blackmailing the international community, but we know they'll never, ever, seriously back up their talk. Because they're going to get their butt kicked if they do.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nothing is going to happen. This has been done before, in the 90's, and nothing happened. After all the copious research I have done regarding the issue, many analysts say it would be suicide for the Kim regime to have a go at South Korea. In addition, as I pointed out in previous articles, the North Korean army, in addition to being outdated and highly inferior to "Allied" US / SK forces, is primarily focused on farming.

There have been no signs of troop mobilizations to even suggest that NK is going to invade. And NK has talked pompously before against their rivals, to no avail. I thought it was interesting what many people are saying regarding the matter: NK is just talking like this to get international aid. They're blackmailing the international community, but we know they'll never, ever, seriously back up their talk. Because they're going to get their butt kicked if they do.
Most people here should know that, but the difference is that this time they've taken the bat**** insanity up to a whole new level. If they're going to try extorting more out of the international community again they can just detonate or another of their little nukes, or just threaten to do it. That's what Kim Jon Il did, 'give us stuff or we'll being more nuke tests'. He never threatened to annihilate the US in a storm of nuclear fury, or however they said it. That's like the boy who cried wolf deciding to never mind the sheep and run down the street yelling at the top of his lungs that an army of werewolves are about to descend upon the village!!!

Threatening rhetoric out of NK is one thing, but it's hard to explain the extremes their going to this time. That doesn't mean it's going to be war, but it's hard to say exactly what it means other than Kim Jung Un is an idiot.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Quote:
Gif o' the day.
Old Conan O'brien skit. They used that I think last year already.

I saw the Daily Show's bit from a earlier this month on NK. The photo shopped hovercraft bit had me in stitches.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote