HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

N. Korea Thread - Korean War back on? (Post #254)

Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Nightslyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
I can't help but wonder who's actually in control over there - Android 19* or some of the military leaders.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, I really don't think war would actually happen. SK and/or the US sure as hell won't fire first. And as irrational as NK can be, I'm just not convinced they're suicidal. Yes, they have an incredibly powerful military, but they have to know that the whole world is against them. And add to that the fact that China is putting all kinds of pressure on them to not do anything, and I just don't see anything happening.

Wars aren't fought like this anymore. The USA vs. North Korea just isn't how war works these
days.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a big war happening. The only thing that makes me think twice is that the new leader is unknown. Maybe he's stupider than his father.
See that is what makes me the opposite of you

North Korea still lives in world of cold war and still lives world under what some would call the old way

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Thank you, this is encouraging to here. I have a lot of knowledge on military history, but really no knowledge when it comes to army capabilities and technologies (though, I could probably easily learn it if I wanted to). My friend, who hails from the South sort of compared the North Korean army to wielding "pop guns," and an assortment of outdated military tech as opposed to the South's army capabilities.
I have had several friends/relatives go thru Korea while in service

General feeling is that South Korean forces are top notch as far as training/tactics/equipment

And just looking at there weapon systems they are easily one of the best equipped forces in world today especially with European forces being scaled back with end of cold war (France/UK/Italy/Germany have been hit hard by budget cuts)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Love watching these propaganda clips.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

I just don't know what the **** North Korea is thinking? I honestly believe that this is just substance for their propaganda machine. Kim Jong- un isn't stupid, he studied and got educated abroad. What do they hope to get out of this is they do in fact launch a nuke?

Basically, once a war starts, and they start losing supplies, food, equipment, and people. I'm sure it won't be so hard to sway their nationalism once they don't have food in front of them.

Lastly, hypothetically if the US does go into military conflict, is anyone worried that it could morph into a Afghanistan/Vietnam war hybrid? Where the North wages a guerilla war we get a war that drags on for years with no winner.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
I just don't know what the **** North Korea is thinking? I honestly believe that this is just substance for their propaganda machine. Kim Jong- un isn't stupid, he studied and got educated abroad. What do they hope to get out of this is they do in fact launch a nuke?

Basically, once a war starts, and they start losing supplies, food, equipment, and people. I'm sure it won't be so hard to sway their nationalism once they don't have food in front of them.

Lastly, hypothetically if the US does go into military conflict, is anyone worried that it could morph into a Afghanistan/Vietnam war hybrid? Where the North wages a guerilla war we get a war that drags on for years with no winner.
Why is it so hard now?

Things aren't exactly coming up Milhouse currently...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Eisen

Quote:

i doubt NK can go on in a guerilla war. If you think Vietnam was poor and/or uneducated Afghanistan you will find a whole new perspective on poverty/uneducated.
Again, the North has nothing to win in a war. They are mostly left alone by the West (sanctions? how long has NK been sanctioned now, a long time) and the ruling class is apparently still in power. They are mostly left alone by China or any other global player. Why the hell would they throw that away? Agreed, the ruling class there is morally probably bankrupt (I don't know how I would feel if I was born brainwashed in the ruling class) but they are not naive. War for them is a lost cause. They have NO allies and stand completely alone.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Why is it so hard now?

The soldiers and privileged people that live in Pyongyang are kept well fed and given shelter. It's the people outside the city and the ones living in labor camps that are dying of hunger.

And no, I don't think it'd be anything like an Afghanistan situation. I don't think we'd have a lot of troops on the ground, it'd mostly be a campaign of just bombing the jeebezus out of them if they ever decide to wage a war I think.

At one point, the US was sending over rice and other supplies to help out NK, then it was discovered that everything was going straight to the army.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-08-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Why is it so hard now?

-Because they cannot organize. Think of it as a police state. There are reports from defectors that you are not even allowed to travel to the other side of the village without a permit.
-Because they are brainwashed to believe in the superiority of their state. Have you seen the spontaneous news pics of the people on the streets when they found out Kim-Il Sung died?
-Because people turn each other in. They probably have one of the most draconian laws since Hitler for being an enemy of the state.

I don't have an idea where the people would get weapons in an uprising. They are likely not well staffed.

Just what comes to mind without thinking. But I agree with the gist of what you said. More suffering would not change the attitude of the North Korean people.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
That's a good point, but either way it's not easy to assume that the people holding the sign actually want that.
I could believe that they support the sign that they're holding. Like others have said, even in this day and age, there is very little outside information that gets into NK. Most of them wouldn't have access to any outside news.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post

Love watching these propaganda clips.
They're funny. One of them was a parody of Call Of Duty which got yanked by Youtube. Others have been posted here of Anti-American cartoons. It's hilarious

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I could believe that they support the sign that they're holding. Like others have said, even in this day and age, there is very little outside information that gets into NK. Most of them wouldn't have access to any outside news.
I could believe it too, I just wouldn't assume it

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
^
Not at all

After SK/US destroy there conventional forces the SK can deal with ground occupation/etc role

Old
03-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

lol

North Korea has been saying same **** for decades now. "We will reduce the imperialists cities into a sea of fire". We have the capability to destroy the whole word bla bla bla"

The day they dare to even try something they will be wiped out from the map and it won't take long. The only problem is Seoul who is directly into the line of fire of NK artillery. Other than that they're going to get owned pretty badly and it won't be just by the U.S but more likely by a coalition of SK , U.S , China , EU , Japan ect ect ect. They have zero chances of winning

And i laugh everytime they talk about launching ICBMs. Those Taepong II missiles they have would get easily shot down over the Pacific Ocean and that's if they can even launch them properly. That's unless they acquired or bought superior technology from other countries but even then the U.S has an anti missile system protecting the main land. Their best bet imho would be to smuggle a nuke or dirty bomb inside the country and then detonate it.

The DPRK is like a small dog, It yap a lof to get attention and try to posture up to be intimidating but ultimately it's all just for the show

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Unlike Iraq and Nam, NK would be justified, so worrying about it becoming a quagmire would be a waste of time.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:11 PM
sabresfan129103

Why the **** do we always have to get involved. I'm sick and ****ing tired of playing world police. EVERYBODY hates us. Let someone else deal with it. China is supposed to this up and coming power. Let them deal with NK.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Unlike Iraq and Nam, NK would be justified, so worrying about it becoming a quagmire would be a waste of time.
I doubt the U.S would even occupy the country anyway. If anything i see them going in and help with the military operations and then leave the aftermath to China , Russia , SK , Japan ect. They may keep a small force in but i doubt we will ever see a full scale occupation like in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Why the **** do we always have to get involved. I'm sick and ****ing tired of playing world police. EVERYBODY hates us. Let someone else deal with it. China is supposed to this up and coming power. Let them deal with NK.
Because the U.S has mutual defense treaties with South Korea and Japan. They would have no choice to get involved if war broke out.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Because US has obligations to defend our allies

Old
03-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

If there's ever a candidate to be wiped off the face of the earth it's North Korea. The U.S. generally struggles long-term as an occupational force, but the obliteration at the front end wouldn't take long.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

What have North Korean people done to deserve to be wiped from the face of the earth?

Old
03-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
What have North Korean people done to deserve to be wiped from the face of the earth?
What have the S.Korean people done to be wiped from the face of the earth?

It's obvious that when people talk about "nuking" or "wiping" them out, they're talking about the governments...although I might agree with going ahead with a total wipe out in Waziristan and other tribal areas of Pakistan I kid lol

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Why are you asking me? I never said South Korea should wiped from the face of the earth. False dichotomy much?

I have seen way too many crazy people post here to assume anything

Old
03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Why are you asking me? I never said South Korea should wiped from the face of the earth. False dichotomy much?

I have seen way too many crazy people post here to assume anything
it was to demonstrate how buffoonish was the question which you were putting forth, thus why I framed the same question with the context of the other side of the spectrum.

When N.Korea says it will engage in preemptive nuking, I'm pretty sure they're framing it in regards to the S.Korean government, inversely when someone here frames it in "nuking" N.Korea, it's in regards to getting rid of the N.Korean government and "nuking" eradicating their military facilities etc. etc..

sure, you have a valid point in not assuming that some crazy person here is ACTUALLY considering wiping out all N.Korean people, but I'm also pretty sure 99% of the people who say "nuke" N.Korea if asked the question that you asked will say to you exactly what I've told you, that they're referring to the government/military facilities

Old
03-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
it was to demonstrate how buffoonish was the question which you were putting forth, thus why I framed the same question with the context of the other side of the spectrum.

When N.Korea says it will engage in preemptive nuking, I'm pretty sure they're framing it in regards to the S.Korean government, inversely when someone here frames it in "nuking" N.Korea, it's in regards to getting rid of the N.Korean government and "nuking" eradicating their military facilities etc. etc..

sure, you have a valid point in not assuming that some crazy person here is ACTUALLY considering wiping out all N.Korean people, but I'm also pretty sure 98% of the people who say "nuke" N.Korea if asked the question that you asked will say to you exactly what I've told you, that they're referring to the government/military facilities
Actually North Korea is saying they will nuke Seoul and Tokyo if given chance

Old
03-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post

sure, you have a valid point in not assuming that some crazy person here is ACTUALLY considering wiping out all N.Korean people, but I'm also pretty sure 99% of the people who say "nuke" N.Korea if asked the question that you asked will say to you exactly what I've told you, that they're referring to the government/military facilities

Ok so he says wipe North Korea off the map and I'm the buffoon. Makes a lot of sense. He made a statement and I asked him to clarify it, what is the point you're trying to make? That you can read his mind? Congratulations.

I really have no clue why you've decided to discuss this. What are you trying to accomplish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
No, this guy can read minds apparently. I wouldn't bother arguing with him.

Old
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
that might then just give mere emphasis to the inverted question I postulated...

but anyways, people should not take things government say specially N.Korea so literal, not only are these empty threats in a desperate time for an isolated government, but also it gives more emphasis to the shock factor which they are hoping to gain with these threats. It's also in reference to the country which they want to threaten. What will give more headlines and attention? "we will nuke Tokyo!" or "We will nuke, airstrip A military base X"...Tokyo is representative of Japan, the threat is to Japan...this goes to any other country they wish to threaten..