HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... this guy. Cryogenics. Last few years residing in a vault underneath the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride at Disneyland. Thaw him out every now again. Calls me up. Good friends with Clint Bolick & the Cupcake Brigade over at the Goldwater Institute.

you callin Walt Disney a liar Slashers?
How did you know it was Walt Killion?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:13 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Was he at the Sharks game?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
My latest article on the Coyotes' saga!

Greg Jamison Breaks His Silence: Coyotes’ Future Remains Bleak
http://thehockeywriters.com/greg-jam...remains-bleak/
This is quite a different spin on this attempted sale. First time that paperwork is being
Brought up as the reason holding up the sale, despite him having both the money and the investors.

My mind goes pondering on this and have the uneasy feeling that his 'holdup' is just a PR ploy to put the ball back into Glendale's court

His announcement will be an update saying that the cheque is in the mail and all of his merry men are all banded together but is not going to get the paperwork done before the buzzer beater.

After weeks of waiting for Jamison, all of the sudden it's spun around and it's up to a Glendale once again to make a fast decision on an extension to save the Coyotes since the NHL makes it want to look like the city dropped the ball if the team has to move.

From there there's a fork with 2 outcomes.

1) City stick's to their (mr. Weiers) guns. Not a second later and here's he out of the league to moe the team

Or

2) City grants and extension as sale is 'almost done'. Mr. Jamison says thanks and he close the deal ASAP......hopefully

Old
01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
This is quite a different spin on this attempted sale. First time that paperwork is being
Brought up as the reason holding up the sale, despite him having both the money and the investors.

My mind goes pondering on this and have the uneasy feeling that his 'holdup' is just a PR ploy to put the ball back into Glendale's court

His announcement will be an update saying that the cheque is in the mail and all of his merry men are all banded together but is not going to get the paperwork done before the buzzer beater.

After weeks of waiting for Jamison, all of the sudden it's spun around and it's up to a Glendale once again to make a fast decision on an extension to save the Coyotes since the NHL makes it want to look like the city dropped the ball if the team has to move.

From there there's a fork with 2 outcomes.

1) City stick's to their (mr. Weiers) guns. Not a second later and here's he out of the league to moe the team

Or

2) City grants and extension as sale is 'almost done'. Mr. Jamison says thanks and he close the deal ASAP......hopefully
Exactly MG and my source believes Jamison will hold a press conference on Thursday to say that he failed somehow to buy the Coyotes.... Stay tuned guys!

Last edited by Slashers98: 01-28-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old
01-28-2013, 07:32 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
Headline writers are just interns. In the actual article it says:

Prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison told The Arizona Republic on Monday that he expects to complete his purchase of the team on Wednesday or Thursday this week, just ahead of a crucial deadline associated with Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

It's so funny how people "see" what they want to see to make themselves feel good.

I can't for the life of me understand why he would say that if he thought it was a bust. But I also couldn't understand why he was at the game last week.

He says he knows that Thursday is the deadline so I can't see him playing the "Glendale wouldn't help when I was so close" card.
Yeah but its hard to say if thats based on a quote thats not in the article or a journalist trying to get people to keep reading.

Honestly, if he doesn't close by Thursday and walks away I don't think whatever he has to say will fade in the storm of relo rumors. Who but the diehardest Coyotes fans and relocationists remember Matthew Hulsizer?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Exactly MG and my source believes Jamison will hold a press conference on Thursday to say that he failed somehow to buy the Coyotes.... Stay tuned guys!
Your sources!!! LOL!!! I love it when a simple fan tells people he has sources... this guy taking himself a little bit too seriously... No offense Slashers, it had to come out...

Old
01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
For all we know there could be a relo buyer with a pre-negotiated deal.
If the NHL had that, they'd wait til the end of the Coyotes season before announcing it.

Old
Slashers98
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Your sources!!! LOL!!! I love it when a simple fan tells people he has sources... this guy taking himself a little bit too seriously... No offense Slashers, it had to come out...
It's not because I'm not a MSM journalist that I don't know anybody around the league... that being said, it doesn't mean I will be right, you'll see.

Old
Glacial

I think everyone is fortunate the day after the deadline is Feb 1st, not Feb 2nd, or else we'll never find an end to this saga.

"This February... Phoenix Phil, the seer of seers... prognosticator of prognosticators... emerged reluctantly, but alertly... in Glendale, Arizona... and stated in Groundhogese... "I definately see a shadow." Sorry, folks. Two more weeks before another answer."

To paraphrase Murray's character: "Awwww, nuts. Who's driving this thing?"

Last edited by Glacial: 01-28-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 07:39 PM
thom

It's a great dialogue and info.It would be great if a person from Seattle or Quebec City could give us inside info into possible nhl clubs?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
It's not because I'm not a MSM journalist that I don't know anybody around the league... that being said, it doesn't mean I will be right, you'll see.
If an entire league can operate on the premise of a basic MOU, a sale can go through in a week+. I have doubts about your 'source' and the premise of your article.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If an entire league can operate on the premise of a basic MOU, a sale can go through in a week+. I have doubts about your 'source' and the premise of your article.
Dont despair on his ''sources'' XX, has ''they'' always been wrong...

Last edited by Patofqc: 01-28-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Almost time for puck drop against the press. I presume Mr. Jamison is there trying to finish the paperwork?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
C'mon paperwork doesn't take THAT long to complete, let's not forget that Jamison had the SIGNED document in hand since the end of November 2012 when it was signed by the CoG.

Now giving a 2 week grace period for the Holidays that is still 6 weeks.
PLENTY of time for good lawyers to draw up the necessary documentation.
PLENTY of time for Jamison to discuss with Bettman and actually purchase the team.
PLENTY of time for the BoG to approve him as a board member / owner (not just anyone can buy an NHL franchise, look at Ballsillie).
PLENTY of time to make this happen BEFORE this season started to ensure the fans stuck around.

The "plenty of time" has run out. This game is over.

Next.

Last edited by ajmidd12: 01-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

It took Rogers, Bell, the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund & Larry Tanenbaum all of 2.5 weeks to sew up a $1.5B+ deal in Toronto for 4 franchises, the ACC & all kinds of other components & holdings, in Canada, where business is often conducted at a snails pace in comparison to the US & other parts of the world. In fact this country's reputation for hesitation is a running joke from London to Sydney but I digress.... fact is, the Man's had ample time, way more than should ever have to be required.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:41 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
couple of things:

1) The headline reads "Coyotes announcement due this week, Jamison says" not sure if thats what it said earlier, but it doesn't say "Jamison will buy the Coyotes" or anything of that sort

2) None of us knew that TSNE was sitting in the league office with a check to buy the Coyotes when Glendale wired the money. For all we know there could be a relo buyer with a pre-negotiated deal.

Meanwhile in Quebec they've jumped the gun talking about the AHL location for the Nordiques farm team.

Geez this gramps Jamison sounds like a real idiot, still finalizing the paper-work for his purchase with only three days until the lease agreement is toast.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Meanwhile in Quebec they've jumped the gun talking about the AHL location for the Nordiques farm team.

Geez this gramps Jamison sounds like a real idiot, still finalizing the paper-work for his purchase with only three days until the lease agreement is toast.
I really hope the Hamilton Bulldogs are moved to Laval as it was rumored a few months ago. A team in Lévis would be great too.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
couple of things:

2) None of us knew that TSNE was sitting in the league office with a check to buy the Coyotes when Glendale wired the money. For all we know there could be a relo buyer with a pre-negotiated deal.
Some of us knew

Old
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Patofqc

Quote:

We do that a lot, we jumped the gun on the Plains of Abraham, firing our first volley while the British were too far away....

Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Some of us knew
Well props to you if you did. I knew Peg would have gotten the team but I had no idea Chipman was literally sitting in Bettman's office waiting.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
We do that a lot, we jumped the gun on the Plains of Abraham, firing our first volley while the British were too far away....
Coyotes are an easier target than Englishman.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
blues10

Quote:

He has lots of time to finalize the deal. Older people are never in an hurry.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Well, you also plagiarized at least one of my BOH posts and turned it into an article. So, I guess that makes me one of your sources. With that unique qualifier, I believe I'm in the position to officially declare that your sources suck.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 01-29-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: play nice
Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
tjeyoyo

Is this one fiction like the last Coyotes article?

Quote:
My latest article on the Coyotes' saga!

Greg Jamison Breaks His Silence: Coyotes’ Future Remains Bleak
http://thehockeywriters.com/greg-jam...remains-bleak/

Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
sipowicz
The Original

And back at Jobbing tonight, since it's a Monday night game it's "kid free Monday" where with the purchase of one full price ticket you can get up to two free kids tickets of equal value (I can't even make this stuff up). I kid you not, don't even think the AHL runs these kind of promotions.

PS Looks like about 7K in Jobbing again tonight.

Closed Thread