HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
I don't get why they do that. When I went to Winnipeg games in the '90s, Jets fans were the class of the league.
We want to be the most hostile arena in the league that opponents have to play in. As long as we aren't insulting people, I'm all for booing the opponents!

Old
01-25-2013, 07:56 PM
aqib

BTW have we heard anything from the Mayor or new council members about how they plan to approach this. We are assuming that the new mayor and Lieberman's and Clark's replacement will uphold their campaign promises and vote no on an extension but have they indicated that they will?

Old
01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
BTW have we heard anything from the Mayor or new council members about how they plan to approach this. We are assuming that the new mayor and Lieberman's and Clark's replacement will uphold their campaign promises and vote no on an extension but have they indicated that they will?
Did they say they wouldn't vote for an extension, or did they just indicate they opposed the deal in general? I didn't hear which, but apparently Jamison believes Jan. 31 to be a hard deadline.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Did they say they wouldn't vote for an extension, or did they just indicate they opposed the deal in general? I didn't hear which, but apparently Jamison believes Jan. 31 to be a hard deadline.
They don't agree with the deal in principle, so don't expect an extension. The deal only gets worse after the 31st, so that is why it is considered a drop dead date.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They don't agree with the deal in principle, so don't expect an extension. The deal only gets worse after the 31st, so that is why it is considered a drop dead date.
That makes sense, but I'm curious, how does the deal get worse after Jan. 31?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
aqib

Quote:
they said that in the campaign. I am wondering if they have said anything since

Old
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
That makes sense, but I'm curious, how does the deal get worse after Jan. 31?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the current terms are only good until the 31st. After that, it's up for review by the new council, which wants to offer much less favorable terms. Needless to say, if they can't get it done for a good deal, they aren't going to get it done for a lesser one.

I think the 31st comes, it lapses. We get a dog and pony show of Bettman/Glendale council saying they are working on options until it is quietly announced they are off to QC.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the current terms are only good until the 31st. After that, it's up for review by the new council, which wants to offer much less favorable terms. Needless to say, if they can't get it done for a good deal, they aren't going to get it done for a lesser one.

I think the 31st comes, it lapses. We get a dog and pony show of Bettman/Glendale council saying they are working on options until it is quietly announced they are off to QC.
Makes sense. That new council isn't going to offer them $300 mil. Seeing how Glendale has flipped before, though, it woudln't shock me if they got someone to flip and vote for an extension for a month or two. There's been too much council backpeddling over the years to completely write that possibility off. And here's another twist: Say there's no deal Jan. 31 and with or without an extension, there's still no deal as the season ends. If the Yotes make the playoffs, you run into some new dynamics about what the league says is its deadline move a team, and that date running into the late first round or early second round of the playoffs. A possible new headache for the league if it turns out this team is destined to move.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Bad manners?.... ever visit the real Bad Manor, old farmhouse near Ancaster, home of the legendary band Crowbar (Oh What A Feeling) Doc? Pegger's got nothin on Southern Ontario Boys runnin wild, and thats for damn sure. Wrote the book on it.
I've been to Ivor Wynne on Labour Day. I know what drunk layed-off steelworkers are like, especially those sitting near someone wearing two tones of blue*....

*not me of course...

Old
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Makes sense. That new council isn't going to offer them $300 mil. Seeing how Glendale has flipped before, though, it woudln't shock me if they got someone to flip and vote for an extension for a month or two. There's been too much council backpeddling over the years to completely write that possibility off. And here's another twist: Say there's no deal Jan. 31 and with or without an extension, there's still no deal as the season ends. If the Yotes make the playoffs, you run into some new dynamics about what the league says is its deadline move a team, and that date running into the late first round or early second round of the playoffs. A possible new headache for the league if it turns out this team is destined to move.
If the 31st passes and Glendale doesn't extend or approve any new deal or $$$. I.e 'not the NHL's cash register' IMO a playoff run would not delay a decision if the league knows moving is the only option. The announcement may be delayed.

So we'll see how the next 6 days play out and see if the taps are shut off or keep flowing to have this saga truly become the never ending story.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
If the 31st passes and Glendale doesn't extend or approve any new deal or $$$. I.e 'not the NHL's cash register' IMO a playoff run would not delay a decision if the league knows moving is the only option. The announcement may be delayed.

So we'll see how the next 6 days play out and see if the taps are shut off or keep flowing to have this saga truly become the never ending story.
It's amazing that after this prospective owner has had a year, and after two council votes to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into the team, we're now six days away from a relocation watch again.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
It's amazing that after this prospective owner has had a year, and after two council votes to dump hundreds of millions of dollars into the team, we're now six days away from a relocation watch again.
not exactly, the CBA/lockout got in the way of that, just as it did when the Coyote saga began when they emerged from BK Court....

Old
01-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Came across two countdown clocks on Jamison's deadline on Jan 31.

First one shows 6:40 pm local time and the second one shows 11:55 pm local

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...unt+down+clock

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...0the%20Coyotes.

Anyone know when is the physical end time?

We'll soon be counting down the hours. Might as well have the right number of grains in the old hourglass

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

Thats the way i see it has well. I will be happy to get a team back, but i will be sadden for guys like you, who i had strong exchange of opinions with, but are as good a hockey fan, if not better then me, that you have to lose your team in the process.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:58 PM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
not exactly, the CBA/lockout got in the way of that, just as it did when the Coyote saga began when they emerged from BK Court....
Bwah? Whussa? Huh?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Bwah? Whussa? Huh?
no one knew then it was illegal for an owner to place a franchise into Bankruptcy, which is why the NHL legal eagles won said right in court and why Phoenix is where it's been the last 3 years....

some of you have forgotten that since this has become the 69th thread since the original case began.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
no one knew then it was illegal for an owner to place a franchise into Bankruptcy, which is why the NHL legal eagles won said right in court and why Phoenix is where it's been the last 3 years....

some of you have forgotten that since this has become the 69th thread since the original case began.
So who placed the team in bankruptcy ?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
So who placed the team in bankruptcy ?
Moyes did, in a backdoor ploy to sell to Balsille.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:41 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
You have been proven wrong countless times on this but still keep posting it.Please return to the history of minor league hockey.Thank you.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:53 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:

Yep, don't want to forget that

Old
01-25-2013, 11:59 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post

Speaking of cases.....

Anything happening lately on the NHL v Moyes front???

Old
01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

For Glendale long term good if that deal lapse the new CoG should kick the NHL out immediately and start the process of looking for a new use for Jobing. This joke lasted long enough.

Last edited by madhi19: 01-26-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
I don't get why they do that. When I went to Winnipeg games in the '90s, Jets fans were the class of the league.
Because we can... What's not classy about heckling the opposition and cheering your team on? Our guys love it.

Ohh and the newest one to the list of **** Jets fans have come up with "Mari-os Pool-boy" to Crosby over and over tonight. Then he scored his first goal, so we stopped for a bit, did it again, then he scored his second so we decided to boo him instead.

C'mon you remember how loud we chanted "Cros-bys Bet-ter" to Ovetchkin last year, it was epic trolling at it's finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
We want to be the most hostile arena in the league that opponents have to play in. As long as we aren't insulting people, I'm all for booing the opponents!
Pretty much this.

It's not to say I don't like Crosby, I think he's a great player (yes he has his bad moment, like against Philly last year....) but he is Canadian and did score the gold medal winner a few years back.

Enough about us. Onto Phoenix. Frankly, announcing the team is moving may not be PR suicide simply because then at least fans will come to watch what they can of hockey till it's gone, make the "lame duck" season a memorable one, people still talk about the Jets of '95-'96, not many remember how the team performed (not that good, but they did make the playoffs), they do however remember the going away night.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:00 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:

What does this have to do with the lock out? How is the last lockout any where's near the BK? What are you even talking about? Why am I even asking?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:06 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Speaking of cases.....

Anything happening lately on the NHL v Moyes front???
http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscr...8-2010&FName=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Just an observer, but the NY system has nothing on file beyond the original complaint. Was this settled quietly out of court? Or is it waiting to be heard? Quite a bit of money the NHL is after.

From Proskauer

Quote:
Representation of the National Hockey League in an ongoing litigation for breach of contract in the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Arizona against Jerry Moyes, the former owner of the Phoenix Coyotes
http://www.proskauer.com/professionals/patrick-dempsey/

Edit 2: looks like Moyes successfully argued the matter be transferred to AZ courts

https://docs.google.com/gview?url=ht...57&chrome=true

Last edited by XX: 01-26-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Closed Thread