HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Llama19

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
"I told Jamison that as opposed as I was to the deal -- I thought that the city didn't get a very good deal out of it -- the fact is that the council made that decision. The deal that was made said that he has until the 31st to put it together. I'll honor that, but I also told him that I wouldn't honor it one second past that," Weiers said.

Clock ticks down for Coyotes deal

We're starting to see the "read between the lines" aspect of what's being quoted and published.
You don't think that someone is pulling the rug out from under this deal?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/84ed11b33...1fhio1_400.gif

Old
01-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I think he'll make the deadline. He'll get it in just under the wire.
I already have my Thursday post planned out. I don't think this is getting done in the time left. What we might see is Bettman and Daly trying to bully Glendale into some sort of extension. I want to be the fly on the wall for that exchange with the new mayor...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:25 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
but i dont think jamison actually buying the team has been an issue since he first came on the scene. its the operating capital that's problematic and as the clock ticks away, those operating costs are set to hypothetically skyrocket on feb1 when the glendale subsidy flies off the table.
I have a feeling that a year ago he found people that were interested in, but not committed to, a deal. At the time, they told him to get the best deal he could from Glendale and that afterwards they'll see if they can make the numbers work. Jamison got the best deal he could get, but it may not be enough for all the interested parties to become committed. Some may have found other investment opportunities, some may have had second thoughts even before he made the Glendale deal, and some may have seen the numbers from Glendale and said it still wouldn't work. He's now in a position to either get those committed to commit more money or try to sway the non-committeds. It would be too late to find new investors.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Govment Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
It would be too late to find new investors.
There are still a couple lotto drawings left before the 31st. Maybe a yotes fan wins and feels that as a fan the yotes will be awesome investment for their new found wealth.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
There are still a couple lotto drawings left before the 31st. Maybe a yotes fan wins and feels that as a fan the yotes will be awesome investment for their new found wealth.
The Powerball did roll last night and is up to $150+ million...

Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
not sure if serious. swill is swill regardless of the country that produced it. there are at least as many awesome American microbreweries as there are great Canadian microbreweries.
Tons of great beers both sides of the border.
Heres a really good one out of Chicago...

or if in some parts of Louisiana....

singin...
Polk Salad Annie
Gators Got yer Granny... yep

Everybody said it was a shame
cuz yer Mama was a workin on a Chain Gang

(a wretched, spiteful, straight razor totin woman. Lord Have Mercy....)

Last edited by Killion: 01-27-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:02 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Phoenix media takes notice:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...nclick_check=1

Weiers:

“I told Jamison that as opposed as I was to the deal — I thought that the city didn’t get a very good deal out of it — the fact is that the council made that decision. The deal that was made said that he has until the 31st to put it together. I’ll honor that, but I also told him that I wouldn’t honor it one second past that,” Weiers said.

Should be an interesting week until the conclusion of this saga.

Last edited by sipowicz: 01-27-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
From what I understand, Bill Daly argued that based on the proxy agreement between the league and Moyes that Jerry was not allowed to put the team into bankruptcy
What? I thought it was illegal for an owner to place a franchise into Bankruptcy and we just all forgot...

Old
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Phoenix media takes notice:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...nclick_check=1

Weiers:

“I told Jamison that as opposed as I was to the deal — I thought that the city didn’t get a very good deal out of it — the fact is that the council made that decision. The deal that was made said that he has until the 31st to put it together. I’ll honor that, but I also told him that I wouldn’t honor it one second past that,” Weiers said.

Should be an interesting week until the conclusion of this saga.
Does he have the vote to do this? former mayor was also againts the deal and couldnt do anything to stop it

Old
01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Does he have the vote to do this? former mayor was also againts the deal and couldnt do anything to stop it
One of the council members (Joyce Clark) who lobbied hard in favor of the deal was defeated in the last election and replaced by someone who has indicated that he does not support the Jamison deal. So, it would seem that the majority of the current council opposes the Jamison deal. But I suppose that this hasn't been put to the test yet.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
What? I thought it was illegal for an owner to place a franchise into Bankruptcy and we just all forgot...
Thats a stupid argument for Daly to make. Owners can up their company into bankruptcy, and if I recall correctly he put the holding company into bankruptcy while the league was operating the franchise (i.e. a subsidiary). Even if he wasn't allowed to do that he could have forced the team into bankruptcy as the largest creditor.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Yeah...I don't know what to tell you. American's may not drink the best beer as a whole, but Labatt's and Molson certainly do not constitute "good beer." In this country or any other.
Its a joke. I don't even drink so I don't know good beer from bad beer. I just tossed out the names I knew off the top of my head.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
Yeah...I don't know what to tell you. American's may not drink the best beer as a whole, but Labatt's and Molson certainly do not constitute "good beer." In this country or any other.
Canadian or GTFO.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
A new mayor and new council could probably put it on the back burner and not even address the lease for months. As far as the city is concerned the team is there for the rest of this season and it isn't costing them a dime, unlike the past two years. What's the league to do in the meantime?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Its a joke. I don't even drink so I don't know good beer from bad beer. I just tossed out the names I knew off the top of my head.
Only in this thread would the topic divert from the business aspects of an NHL franchise to the discussion of the relative merits of different beers in the US and Canada.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Hawker14

The problem with beer in general is the marginal utility.

The second is never as good as the first.

The third is never as good as the second.

And so on ... and so on ...

Old
01-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post

Funny that girls get better looking after each beer...
After the third, all beer tastes the same anyway.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

And it seems "outside forces" (here and here) are beginning to circle around a certain "no" member.

Glendale councilwoman schooled on Open Meetings law

Other notes. Clark (FWIW) reconfirmed that a) the League wants no less than $170M and b) $25M is still in escrow

Old
01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Other notes. Clark (FWIW) reconfirmed that a) the League wants no less than $170M and b) $25M is still in escrow
Is that the $25 million from the 2011-12 season subsidy or is that from something else?

Old
01-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Whileee

Quote:
And it seems "outside forces" (here and here) are beginning to circle around a certain "no" member.

It looks like the only way Clark will get to games if through freebees from her ardent fan club.

Quote:
Joyce Clark ‏@clarkjv
“@azcoyotedog: .@clarkjv Your not going? Now that I no longer earn that fabulous, stupendous CM salary, have got to watch pennies :-)
Funny that "watching pennies" didn't feature strongly in her approach to the City of Glendale's finances. I wonder whether the Glendale city workers that will be losing their jobs due to the Jamison deal will have a lot of sympathy when they learn that Clark is having a hard time affording tickets to the Coyotes' games.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It looks like the only way Clark will get to games if through freebees from her ardent fan club.

Funny that "watching pennies" didn't feature strongly in her approach to the City of Glendale's finances. I wonder whether the Glendale city workers that will be losing their jobs due to the Jamison deal will have a lot of sympathy when they learn that Clark is having a hard time affording tickets to the Coyotes' games.
No kidding, personally I would feel embarrassed living in a constituency where someone like Ms. Clark once represented me. The women is vile.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:

Fascinating. It would appear that she might be trouble for something completely different then what Here #1 thinks she is in trouble for (not that it's surprising that he's completely confused about a subject...any subject).

Meanwhile Here #2 is whining about the council attendance of a woman who is sick and had to have surgery. Way to stay classy #2...

Old
01-27-2013, 01:39 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post

That's the opposite of the truth: The first is the worst.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Is that the $25 million from the 2011-12 season subsidy or is that from something else?
Wow and I thought the city only put 20 million in. This escrow account seems to be a great source of income.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:12 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:

Interesting. Clark is now a single issue tweeter focused exclusively on the Coyotes. A 70-year-old lady who, during various council meetings, admitted to rarely even watching hockey now stays up to comment on the post game interviews and has thoughts on line combinations.

That's not suspect at all. Her messages don't appear to be ghost written by a fanatical, blogging imbecile. Because where would she find one of those?

As for the Open Meeting violation claim, that looks like an even lower wattage effort than the inept amicus curiae filed during the Initiative case. So, that's impressive. Perhaps "forces" isn’t the best term for Clark and BeavisPAC. I'd lean more towards "idiot cannon". Ironically, it's pointed at Alvarez, who is so inept herself that one needs to do little more than let her speak uninterrupted to undermine her.

Closed Thread