Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
BTW, his price-tag isn't cheap. It would severely restrict us in adding talent at other positions, and that wouldn't matter if he were playing like a no.1 D, but he is most definitely not.
I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester if the price was right, and like you I agree that's not Goligoski plus forward prospects.

I do want to point out though that Dallas has $24,257,223 in cap space right now next season, and Bouwmeester is only signed through the end of next season. If the price is right, and I have hard time finding one that would be, cap space is zero concern.

I'd be very surprised if all three of Morrow, Ryder, and Jagr are coming back. Even if Jagr and Ryder do, I don't think they'd earn much more combined than they do now. Jagr's hit could go down, and Ryder's could go up a bit.

Also, someone on D would be moving out if they acquired Bouwmeester ... likely Robidas IMO in a separate trade. That means you're really only adding around $3 million ... leaving you still with over $20 million in cap space.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I always forget about Jyrki "River Deck" Jokipakka.

He's one of Dallas older prospects outside of Texas, and I'd imagine he'll be joining the team in Austin next fall just as he's turning 22 years old.

Also, I left off Klingberg earlier as well, but I think he could potentially stay one more year in Sweden. After the disaster that occurred in Finland, it would be wise to let him spend another year in a familiar league. Plus, it's not like this prevents him from coming to NA, but he does have another year on his deal in the SEL.
He is easy to forget. He should definitely be in Austin next year and if he is ever going to have an NHL career he is going to need to make an impact fairly quickly. I like his skillset as a third pairing defensive dman who has good enough hands to move the puck out of trouble efficiently.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
HatchtrickBateman

I've liked what Rome has brought, but I really don't see what he does much better than fistric. He's been pretty decent defensively, like Fistric was. They both have minimal to no puck handling skills. Both bring physicality. I always thought Fistric was poorly handled by coaching staffs in dallas. Better than pardy and woywitka, yet still scratched in favor of them sometimes. Anyone shed a little light on this, as to why we signed basically the same type of player

Old
02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

Fistric had no hockey sense and always had to be told by his defensive partner where to go and what to do. Rome is less physically imposing but probably better overall. Also he actually does contribute offensively, albeit not a whole lot, but still more than Fistric.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
WhoahNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchtrickBateman View Post
I've liked what Rome has brought, but I really don't see what he does much better than fistric. He's been pretty decent defensively, like Fistric was. They both have minimal to no puck handling skills. Both bring physicality. I always thought Fistric was poorly handled by coaching staffs in dallas. Better than pardy and woywitka, yet still scratched in favor of them sometimes. Anyone shed a little light on this, as to why we signed basically the same type of player
Sign a player out of free agency, trade same quality level player for a 3rd round pick. You don't lose anything on your team as far as talent wise or depth really, but gain a 3rd round pick. Asset management really, GMJN basically got a free 3rd round pick out of free agency if you consider Rome and Fistric equal players.

I agree Fistric should have played more frequently than Pardy and Woywitka, but I don't think Fistric would have really progressed into anything more than a bottom pair dman. His skating, puck skills, and offensive instincts just don't translate into a top 4 level.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:21 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester if the price was right, and like you I agree that's not Goligoski plus forward prospects.

Also, someone on D would be moving out if they acquired Bouwmeester ... likely Robidas IMO in a separate trade. That means you're really only adding around $3 million ... leaving you still with over $20 million in cap space.
I have very strong concerns about him wanting to stay here longer than his current contract. When you consider Robidas potentially leaving- either via trade or in 2014- I'm not sure if it's a gamble worth taking, regardless of the price.

Quote:
I do want to point out though that Dallas has $24,257,223 in cap space right now next season, and Bouwmeester is only signed through the end of next season. If the price is right, and I have hard time finding one that would be, cap space is zero concern.

I'd be very surprised if all three of Morrow, Ryder, and Jagr are coming back. Even if Jagr and Ryder do, I don't think they'd earn much more combined than they do now. Jagr's hit could go down, and Ryder's could go up a bit.
Well, there are Roy, Nihlstrop, and Vincour to sign too. With Nystrom and Morrow probably leaving, we should also look to filling the voids left by them, though I'd assume their spots are most likely filled from the farm.

It's going to be a little bit of work for GMJN. Hopefully he can work something with Ryder and Jagr before the season ends so he doesn't have to do a lot of work come off-season. Either way, that $24m+ is going to vanish quickly, and tacking on a $6.68m salary for an under-achiever is not my favorite thing.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
BigG44

You're missing the point. I'm not defending the trade or saying it should happen because Dallas has cap space. Everything you said above is correct, but none of it comes close to $24 million.

There are several great reasons to not make the trade, but the cap situation really isn't one of them.

Also, him staying and re-signing has nothing to do with the cap situation. My only point was Dallas has plenty of cap space.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Why would we give up such valuable assets for half a year of a #2 defensive defender...?

If we want him that badly, just give him 7M in the offseason (we better not, though).

Old
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
You're missing the point. I'm not defending the trade or saying it should happen because Dallas has cap space. Everything you said above is correct, but none of it comes close to $24 million.

There are several great reasons to not make the trade, but the cap situation really isn't one of them.

Also, him staying and re-signing has nothing to do with the cap situation. My only point was Dallas has plenty of cap space.
I don't know why the misunderstanding thingie happens between us . I decided to comment on the cap-space and add a little more only because you mentioned it, but that issue wasn't among the top of my concerns vis-a-vis JBo. His desire to play here now (he has to waive his NTC for a trade after all) and (more importantly) beyond, his current playing level, his ability to step up play a #1D role, etc. etc. are of more concern to me. When I said "restrict our ability to address other positions" I meant having an underachiever at $6.68m prevents us from spending a wee-bit more to address the concern at the wing positions on the top-six (most pressing need for the team this off-season, IMO), regardless of how much cap-space. I'd spend $6.5m on Timmonen...gladly, but not on JBo.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Why would we give up such valuable assets for half a year of a #2 defensive defender...?

If we want him that badly, just give him 7M in the offseason (we better not, though).
I wouldn't. I'd have not problem with him being a Dallas Star, but I can't envision a price I'd want to see Dallas pay that Calgary would find acceptable to move forward with a trade.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:52 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I don't know why the misunderstanding thingie happens between us . I decided to comment on the cap-space and add a little more only because you mentioned it, but that issue wasn't among the top of my concerns vis-a-vis JBo. His desire to play here now (he has to waive his NTC for a trade after all) and (more importantly) beyond, his current playing level, his ability to step up play a #1D role, etc. etc. are of more concern to me. When I said "restrict our ability to address other positions" I meant having an underachiever at $6.68m prevents us from spending a wee-bit more to address the concern at the wing positions on the top-six (most pressing need for the team this off-season, IMO), regardless of how much cap-space. I'd spend $6.5m on Timmonen...gladly, but not on JBo.
Sounds good. I'm not invested in the guy. If he's here ... great ...just hopefully he cost next to nothing which seems unlikely.

I'd honestly be content with actually seeing Dallas' payroll reduced. Not because cutting cost would be the primary goal, but because allowing these young guys on ELCs to keep developing doesn't cost that much.

The prize of free agents on defense, Edler, just signed a nice extension with Vancouver. I don't have anything against the rest of the UFA's on D, but I don't think they are really impact players. If they aren't top pair D, and I don't really feel any of them are, then I would just like to see Dallas keep rolling with what they have.

As far as forwards go, if they re-sign Roy before free agency, there's a good chance that takes them out of the running for remaining big name centers like Getzlaf, Weiss, etc. Among the wingers, aside from potentially re-signing Ryder and/or Jagr, Perry is the only guy that can make a big enough impact that he'd be worth splurging on. That said, like the D, I'm content with them just giving the younger guys an opportunity to expand their roles.

I'm having a really hard time gauging how free agency is going to go with the new rules. The silly Zajac deal gives us an idea that centers will still be very expensive. Edler's isn't as good a barometer IMO because I think he left money on the table knowing that he was playing for a great team in a place he's happy. If Dallas was going to make a huge splash though, they are in a much better position than some this summer. The cap going down and so many team already fighting to get down to that level could limit the top teams going after a guy like Perry. That could mean Dallas would be in the mix with some other teams that don't commonly fight for the big name free agents.

Perry's potential cap hit is a bit concerning though. We could see a big number end up as the winning big. The team's that use to have the ability to spend $12 million up front had the edge because of the front-loaded loophole. Now it's going to be the team that has the cap space to pay these free agents what they feel is fair. I mean ... Zajac would have a been a very good comparable, but his cap hit in the first 8 years is $10 million. That's insane. I doubt that's what Perry will get, but he'll damn sure be looking for it. Will some desperate team offer it though?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him get 8M per.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

With Washington imploding and a possible shakeup imminent, who do you think GM Joe would, or should, target?

Funny how their top player right now is Ribeiro. Leads the team in goals and points. Can't say I would've guessed that back in October.....not that I want Joe to even consider bringing him back, mind you.

But something's bound to go down soon, right?

02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
With Washington imploding and a possible shakeup imminent, who do you think GM Joe would, or should, target?

Funny how their top player right now is Ribeiro. Leads the team in goals and points. Can't say I would've guessed that back in October.....not that I want Joe to even consider bringing him back, mind you.

But something's bound to go down soon, right?
I dont think there is much there. I would like Alzner and Carlson, but they are going to be part of whenever the Caps are good again. Laich is supposed to be a good character guy I think, but I feel pretty good about our centers right now.

Regarding Ribeiro, on MvsW, Marek said he heard some other coach or something say that maybe the system is too complicated. Oates as a coach is just on a different plane as an offensive thinker or something, and I thought that explained pretty well why Mike Ribeiro is slotting in perfectly.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Green is the only guy I'm really interested that could possibly be moved. Even then, not sure I'd want to pay that price for a guy who might not even play.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Green is the only guy I'm really interested that could possibly be moved. Even then, not sure I'd want to pay that price for a guy who might not even play.
No, Green is a big defense liability and we don't need to make our defense worse then it is.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
No, Green is a big defense liability and we don't need to make our defense worse then it is.
If we could get Green for Goligoski + something minor, should we do it?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Yes.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
To be honest, yes i would. I think Green could do better in another environment.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
If we're going to pretend it's 2008 than I want to pretend we're still a playoff contender.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:36 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
If we're going to pretend it's 2008 than I want to pretend we're still a playoff contender.
What are you talking about?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
What are you talking about?
That's the last year Green was anything resembling a liability in his own end. He'd come in here and be a number one defensemen for us, play all situations, PK, PP 5 on 5. He might even play 30+ minutes a night here. Only one of our defensemen would be better defensively, and that's Daley. That would probably be my pairing actually, Daley and Green.

I want this trade to happen. He won't be cheap though.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:58 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Maybe this guy. Obviously it is because he is of Indian descent. If he doesn't pan out, it would at least be fun hearing Ralph and Razor butcher his name .
I go to Tech games pretty regularly and this guy is actually very good. He's big, got a good shot and has very good hockey sense. Seems like he's on the ice for large portions of the game. I really wouldn't mind getting him in a trade.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
That's the last year Green was anything resembling a liability in his own end. He'd come in here and be a number one defensemen for us, play all situations, PK, PP 5 on 5. He might even play 30+ minutes a night here. Only one of our defensemen would be better defensively, and that's Daley. That would probably be my pairing actually, Daley and Green.

I want this trade to happen. He won't be cheap though.
That's a good point. More i think about it, the more i actually wouldn't mind doing a swap. Goose for Green.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

What's the plus though? Goose for Green would never happen. Despite the money difference Washington would rightly want more so what else are you willing to give up? Which of Smith, Chiasson, or Fraser are you willing to part with? Or perhaps Ritchie, if you think his trade value will never be higher and he's not any better than the three above?

Closed Thread