Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I don't want Dallas to pay O'Reilly what he's asking for, and I don't think Dallas should trade for him.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

As we discussed in Insider Trading initial trade talk has Colorado requesting a roster player and top prospect for O'Reilly. #TSN
Just considering what a Dallas package would have to look like ... I know they're looking for D.

Philip Larsen and Brett Ritchie/Alex Chaisson for O'Reilly

Old
02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Sauron
The Count

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I don't want Dallas to pay O'Reilly what he's asking for, and I don't think Dallas should trade for him.

Just considering what a Dallas package would have to look like ... I know they're looking for D.

Philip Larsen and Brett Ritchie/Alex Chaisson for O'Reilly
I'd consider that.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Avs should just pay the guy already.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
He's pretty similar to Eakin in style, not sure it would make sense to acquire him.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Nothing chaps my ass like the logic behind the bolded part. This is the same kind of bs argument people get into when fans disagree with a move a coach made - hey, he's around these guys all the time and being paid a lot of money, what do you know about coaching? The other side to that is that there are many different coaches all with very different approaches, some of whom would agree, on any given occasion, with the whims of the fans that disagree with the present coach.

Saying "he would play if he were" is a circular argument because I'm arguing that this coach is making the wrong move in not playing him and there are probably a stable of coaches not named Glen Gulutzan, who have proven more in this league to boot*, that would play Larsen every single night.

*I hope the irony of my not giving Gulutzan, a rookie coach, the patience to learn that some probably feel he deserves is apparent.

As to the latter part of your quote above, I covered that already - take away the coach's blanky.
Maybe Nieuwy won't take away the blanky because Nieuwy agrees with playing Robidas over Larsen.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
He's pretty similar to Eakin in style, not sure it would make sense to acquire him.
He has a much better offensive player than Eakin, but if the Stars are serious about signing Roy, there isn't a good spot for O'Reilly.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Would still like to see Fraser get a shot. That is all.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:54 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Maybe Nieuwy won't take away the blanky because Nieuwy agrees with playing Robidas over Larsen.
So basically, what I gather from these last two posts of yours you agree with those of us complaining about him not playing but refuse to complain yourself, despite a difference of opinion about his ceiling.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
I'd be cool with it.
Locking Roy up long term means you can let Benn go back to his natural wing.
You've got a top line of Benn; Roy; Eriksson locked up (That's huge), and your center depth is Roy; O'Reilly; Eakin.
I like it.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
I'd be cool with it.
Locking Roy up long term means you can let Benn go back to his natural wing.
You've got a top line of Benn; Roy; Eriksson locked up (That's huge), and your center depth is Roy; O'Reilly; Eakin.
I like it.
Disagree. If you trade for O'Reilly you let Roy walk or trade him at the deadline. Let O'Reilly and Eakin slot in at center spots #2 and #3 and if either proves better than that Benn can be moved back to the wing, until then we can keep Benn as the #1 center. I said last year and still feel this way, Benn's ability to play center and wing makes him more valuable than if he were a Ribeiro type center who can't operate on the wing or a guy like Ryder who just isn't a center. Benn is in the Zetterberg mold and can be moved over to the wing to provide an extra potent winger to a capable center.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

All right, I watched a lot of O'Reilly film this morning. I would really like to see him centering a Benn and Jagr line. I can't help but think that the amount of space that line would generate could be insane.

With that being said though, he doesn't have the kind of numbers for the value Colorado seems o be asking for (in my opinion)

Everybody knows I'd rather see Benn on the wing, and having a center threat of O'Reilly-Roy-Eakin would be downright scary for teams. I only think O'Reilly is a #1 center if he's got good wingers (duh) but on his own, he's a #2.

Would like to have him! Not for a high pick, a roster player, and a prospect though.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
All right, I watched a lot of O'Reilly film this morning. I would really like to see him centering a Benn and Jagr line. I can't help but think that the amount of space that line would generate could be insane.

With that being said though, he doesn't have the kind of numbers for the value Colorado seems o be asking for (in my opinion)

Everybody knows I'd rather see Benn on the wing, and having a center threat of O'Reilly-Roy-Eakin would be downright scary for teams. I only think O'Reilly is a #1 center if he's got good wingers (duh) but on his own, he's a #2.
I think if they managed to pull off a trade for him, I dont think they'd be re=signing Roy. They are committed to Benn as a center. Just stick with Benn-O'Reilly-Eakin-Fiddler down the middle.

Quote:
Would like to have him! Not for a high pick, a roster player, and a prospect though.
It seems they are asking for a top prospect and a roster player. It would really depend on who those players are. To me, any prospect outside of Oleksiak would be fair game.

-Vagrant
Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Oleksiak, Chiasson, Nemeth and probably Ritchie are off the table for me.

Guptill and a roster player?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Oleksiak, Chiasson, Nemeth and probably Ritchie are off the table for me.

Guptill and a roster player?
I think you are underestimating his value. He just scored 55 points as a 20/21 year old. He's already a pretty good defensive player. his faceoff % has gotten better every year in the league(52% last year). Guptill is a nice prospect, but he also hasnt really progressed much this year.

You are going to have to give up someone you probably dont want to. But if you want to keep all 4 of those names off the list, let me throw this out there. Would you give up Faksa? I would.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
It seems they are asking for a top prospect and a roster player. It would really depend on who those players are. To me, any prospect outside of Oleksiak would be fair game.
It'd have to be a sign-and-trade deal with a decent hit. And I'd take my chances in the off-season.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
It'd have to be a sign-and-trade deal with a decent hit. And I'd take my chances in the off-season.
He's an RFA, so technically you can negotiate with him right now and know what he wants/come to an agreement before making a trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
The Stars should probably ship off Larsen to someone who won't cripple his development before he loses his value.

Larsen, 2013 2nd, & Bachman.

O'Reilly

Last edited by Amazing Larry: 02-13-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Because it isn't 2012 anymore.
Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Dallas isn't going to have the ability to beat out other teams in a trade. Even if they did, it would probably cost too much.

Since he's so young, an offer sheet would make much more sense since he might actually be worth a 1st + 2nd + 3rd, even in this draft, but he's more of a luxury than a need so that's not really worth it IMO either.

Based on the way the Avs are acting, they probably wouldn't match that offer sheet either. Now someone just needs to have the balls to throw it out there. Otherwise ... like fans and members of the media like to speculate ... there really is collusion going on.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
I think you are underestimating his value. He just scored 55 points as a 20/21 year old. He's already a pretty good defensive player. his faceoff % has gotten better every year in the league(52% last year). Guptill is a nice prospect, but he also hasnt really progressed much this year.

You are going to have to give up someone you probably dont want to. But if you want to keep all 4 of those names off the list, let me throw this out there. Would you give up Faksa? I would.
That's an interesting conversation to have.

I'm sold on Faksa. I've been watching him for a while, and he's a DAMN good player. However, with Eakin on the team now he may be able to land us a big trade.

I don't know though... O'Reilly-Roy-Eakin or Benn-Roy-Eakin-Faksa? That's a pretty interesting choice, but I stick with Faksa.

On that Larsen trade idea. That's one I'd do honestly.

We've got Nemeth who I wouldn't trade, Bystrom coming, and POSSIBLY Klingberg could be something.

Edit- I'd do Larsen and a 2nd for him. That's about it.

Last edited by Cin: 02-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I hadn't honestly considered Faksa .....

IDK that it would be enough, but I would think about Larsen+Faksa from a Dallas POV.

The argument that Larsen will outlast the coach seems a bit flawed when you consider it seems that GMJN and Gully are probably on that same page with him being the odd man out.

His value is only going to plummet likely if he stays in Dallas, and Faksa' high end potential is probably similar to O'Reilly. Why not go out and get that guy right now and eliminate the risk?

I don't think that's the best package that Colorado would see, but if Dallas was willing and it was enough, I'd be OK with that move.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

One of the things that makes me take a step back on O'Reilly is his numbers. However, this article does a pretty good job at summing him up.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1423

If we were to trade for him I think it gives the team ever better position when it comes to the trade deadline as well. We all know Benn can play wing, and do it damn good.

Larsen+2nd maybe somebody like Stransky? (would rather not, he looks like a mini Jagr)

The team loves Roy, and I do too. We need to keep him. Having depth at center with Benn-O'Reilly-Roy-Eakin-Fiddler-Sceviour is absolutely phenomenal. Let's us trade off a winger at the deadline to slide Benn over, and get a pick o rprospect from Ryder/Morrow.

The more I look at the situation, the more it looks like a good decision. It only works though, if Gully and Joe are up for Benn on the wing.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

There's no way Larsen + a 2nd gets O'Reilly. None. If you guys want to entertain this thought, you have to be willing to move a good prospect and a roster piece.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
There's no way Larsen + a 2nd gets O'Reilly. None. If you guys want to entertain this thought, you have to be willing to move a good prospect and a roster piece.
Would rather offer sheet him then.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
He's an RFA, so technically you can negotiate with him right now and know what he wants/come to an agreement before making a trade.
Technically, yes. However, seeing how offer-sheeting can make your RFAs a future target, I'd rather we take this route.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:

You hope Faska becomes as good as O'Reilly. I would totally give him up for O'Reilly.

I'm not all that keen on moving Larsen. Would rather trade Goligoski or Robidas but if I give up Larsen and Faska for O'Reilly I definitely move Roy at the deadline to recoup a pick/prospect myself.

I'm still not sold on Roy here long term and if the choice is Roy or O'Reilly give me the younger kid with the higher upside than the older more injury prone player.

Closed Thread