Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Yeah, that's completely realistic. Not.

Larsen has no value, he's been scratched a ton this season and it's only his 2nd season in the league. Not very encouraging. It'll take a lot more than that, as it's a downgrade for Philly who has a bad need for defensemen themselves. I don't even want to know what it would cost to get Meszaros.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Yeah, that's completely realistic. Not.

Larsen has no value, he's been scratched a ton this season and it's only his 2nd season in the league. Not very encouraging. It'll take a lot more than that, as it's a downgrade for Philly who has a bad need for defensemen themselves. I don't even want to know what it would cost to get Meszaros.
Didn't say that it would be a one for one swap, but I think Larsen could be part of a deal for Meszaros. As you mentioned Philly needs good defensemen (They really don't want to depend on Walker or Foster). I think they would want a young defenseman coming back in any trade involving Meszaros. I'm sure they would want Oleksiak but I really don't see the Stars making that deal. Nemeth could be another option, but I don't know if Philly wants to trade for a guy who is hurt. Not really sure what else Philly would want. Trading Meszaros would suggest that they are focusing more on the future so maybe they would want Smith and a pick as well? I just get the feeling that if Dallas acquires Meszaros then Larsen is part of the deal.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:21 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i really dont see why philly would move him
If they liked Larsen, they'd do it for the savings.

If any GM is going to potentially really value Philip Larsen though, IMO it would be the new Finnish GM for CLB. He was in charge of Jokerit before taking the job so he saw first hand how good Larsen was in Finland as a #1 D.

I don't think trading Larsen is the answer, but it's something I think Dallas would do. We just keep hearing that size mantra ... latest instance is the Cole trade. That could sink Larsen if Joe sticks around.

I think at worst, Larsen is having a sophomore slump, but I admit that it could be more. That said, he was already dominating the league in Europe closest to NHL style play. A league Stephane Robidas couldn't hang in.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:39 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If they liked Larsen, they'd do it for the savings.

If any GM is going to potentially really value Philip Larsen though, IMO it would be the new Finnish GM for CLB. He was in charge of Jokerit before taking the job so he saw first hand how good Larsen was in Finland as a #1 D.

I don't think trading Larsen is the answer, but it's something I think Dallas would do. We just keep hearing that size mantra ... latest instance is the Cole trade. That could sink Larsen if Joe sticks around.

I think at worst, Larsen is having a sophomore slump, but I admit that it could be more. That said, he was already dominating the league in Europe closest to NHL style play. A league Stephane Robidas couldn't hang in.
I dont see them giving up on the season so easily. They have alot of talent and could be looking to make a run.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I dont see them giving up on the season so easily. They have alot of talent and could be looking to make a run.
Probably ... they're just as likely to make the playoffs as the Stars ... based on current position.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

It's really hard to quantify Larsen because he's only played 12 games this season and most of it was with Goligoski which is just an awful pairing. G is right that he can't have much value and the only way that changes is to play him and try to put him in the best position to succeed then it becomes are you better with or without him.

I think eventually he's the odd man out and sold extremely cheaply because he hasn't done enough in NA to fetch a good price.

It depends on what the plus to Larsen is. I'm not giving up Smith and Larsen for one year of Mezaros and I would hope to god Joe wouldn't either.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:08 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Trading Larsen would be one of the worst things this org. could possibly do, so I agree it's a real possibility.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Trading Larsen would be one of the worst things this org. could possibly do, so I agree it's a real possibility.
It wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It wouldn't be that big of a deal.
It really wouldn't be, except for depriving of us a RH RD. Of which we have two signed long term (at least RD) in Daley and Goligoski, and Nemeth who can play RD. And Robidas.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Gully isn't even willing to play him. He's a fantastic player, but he needs time to play and if he isn't getting it here then we might as well move him for somebody who will.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
No, because the coach and GM will likely be fired. We can hope that their replacements can properly develop players.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Just heard a commercial on the ticket for Sunday's game. Apparently it's Faith night. As in religion night.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Just heard a commercial on the ticket for Sunday's game. Apparently it's Faith night. As in religion night.
Yeah I saw them post that on their Facebook page... Pretty retarded.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
KiedisA

Oh dear.. Where are you Mr. Picard when I need you??

Old
03-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
You didn't catch the music for the Party at the Plaza is a Christian rock band?

Old
03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
I think that is being pretty oversold though.

It can't be said enough that this team is playing more rookies than even a true rebuilding team would. You are witnessing a huge commitment to youth this season. It goes well beyond what the team even expected going into the season. The smattering of injuries have forced kids to come up, but also we've seen rookies displace inferior younger players as well on the lower lines.

There is a transformation of the roster taking place. Maybe they could demote Morrow for a rookie. Maybe they could have swapped Ryder for picks. But really, I can't think of anything else they could have done to make this more of a push for the future. They're already playing a significant number of first and second year players.
All of the things you're saying are relevant only this year. I'm talking about the mentality of this regime since Nieuwendyk took over. Playing young players who are better than veteran players doesn't really have anything to do with properly evaluating your team's chances of making the playoffs. Basically, at every deadline since Nieuwendyk took over the Stars' chances of making the playoffs has been somehwere in the 50/50 neighborhood, and every time they opted to go one route and everytime it has turned out to not be the right move.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
You didn't catch the music for the Party at the Plaza is a Christian rock band?
Heard them say some good Christian music, all denominations welcome part. Didn't know it was a rock band though.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:26 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Well this team needs some faith that's for sure.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
All of the things you're saying are relevant only this year. I'm talking about the mentality of this regime since Nieuwendyk took over. Playing young players who are better than veteran players doesn't really have anything to do with properly evaluating your team's chances of making the playoffs. Basically, at every deadline since Nieuwendyk took over the Stars' chances of making the playoffs has been somehwere in the 50/50 neighborhood, and every time they opted to go one route and everytime it has turned out to not be the right move.
Yeah, but he hasn't really had anything to sell at those deadlines. The one time he tried to sell at the deadline Modano wouldn't waive his no trade.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Faith night for a sports team? That actually makes me dislike the team a little.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Yeah, but he hasn't really had anything to sell at those deadlines. The one time he tried to sell at the deadline Modano wouldn't waive his no trade.
He could have traded Ott instead of exending him. He could have traded Ryder for a combination of prospect/picks. He could have done any number of things differently. This year he still has Roy. Saying he's never had anything to sell is not entirely accurate.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:16 PM
HatchtrickBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

And yet, Robi has looked just fine in the NHL lately, playing better than most of our other D, since a little before the first quarter mark of the season.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
KiedisA

TBF Robi was here in Finland only to get his legs back and to the outside it looked that like a couple other older lock-out players who played in Finland, he didn't give a flying *beep* about the teams results.. Larsen on the other hand had Bödker and F.Nielsen with him under a much better coaching staff and playing against average SM-League opponents he had all the time to make good plays each and every game..

Now it's clear that Robi with his experience has all the tools there to have a great season and has great stamina in his game and Larsen has been stuck ever since the big league started.. To me it seems that even though the two are completely different kind of defenders, Aaron Rome's time in the IR is the last chance Larsen has to make it as a Dallas Star. With Dillon making himself a clear top-6 it seems that there just isn't a place for him in the team anymore. I much more would like to see what Goligoski has to offer in a full season than Larsen, that's for sure.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
TBF Robi was here in Finland only to get his legs back and to the outside it looked that like a couple other older lock-out players who played in Finland, he didn't give a flying *beep* about the teams results.. Larsen on the other hand had Bödker and F.Nielsen with him under a much better coaching staff and playing against average SM-League opponents he had all the time to make good plays each and every game..

Now it's clear that Robi with his experience has all the tools there to have a great season and has great stamina in his game and Larsen has been stuck ever since the big league started.. To me it seems that even though the two are completely different kind of defenders, Aaron Rome's time in the IR is the last chance Larsen has to make it as a Dallas Star. With Dillon making himself a clear top-6 it seems that there just isn't a place for him in the team anymore. I much more would like to see what Goligoski has to offer in a full season than Larsen, that's for sure.
You're comparing a 27 year old defenseman in his 6th season in the NHL to a 23 year old defenseman in his 2nd. In addition Larsen didn't string together more than 4 games in a row and was usually paired with Goligoski where both players similar skills were a detriment to their play together.

Toward the end of last season Larsen was our best defenseman and he played superbly in Finland when given responsibility. Larsen may or may not fit in Dallas but it's way, way too early to throw in the towel on him as to whether he's an NHL caliber defenseman. Just like Niskanen, when everyone wanted him gone, good coaching would go a long way to helping Larsen be the player he's capable of. He's just not getting that, time on ice, or the right partner to help him play his game.

Old
03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
KiedisA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
You're comparing a 27 year old defenseman in his 6th season in the NHL to a 23 year old defenseman in his 2nd. In addition Larsen didn't string together more than 4 games in a row and was usually paired with Goligoski where both players similar skills were a detriment to their play together.

But it all comes to this: We got Larsen, Daley and Goligoski and 2 spots on the top-6.. Daley is at his best with a stay-at-home guy and that would leave us with Larsen vs. Goligoski

Closed Thread