HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Valley of the Shadow of General Stars Talk V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  #951
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Do you mean the local baseball team Rangers or the New York Rangers?
Local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
You ignored the meat of the argument. I said the fact he was a veteran didn't mean anything ... the fact that he's struggled and could be on the downside of his career is a significant risk. I hope he's good to go, but when a guy is in his mid-30's and struggling ... the logical question to ask is this the beginning of the end. Dallas doesn't think it is ... and hopefully they are right. Otherwise they just made an $8 million gamble they won't be able to get rid of ... and in this case he isn't an asset you acquired for nothing like you did with Whitney. You traded a valuable asset for him so it's an even bigger risk than Whitney.
I understood the point, but was trying to show another way to look at it.

Rune Forumwalker is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 03:57 PM
  #952
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
If any of you would care to respond I'm wondering about Philip Larsen. I fully expected him to take the next step this season but he has surprisingly been in and out of the lineup and has merely 1 point to show for his efforts so far. Watching him last year I really thought he was a heck of a player that was close to breaking out. Even this season in the first two meetings between the Oilers and the Stars he looked decent. Is he really struggling? Playing solid but not putting up points? Just simply being outplayed by Dillon and others?

thrillhous is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:06 PM
  #953
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
If any of you would care to respond I'm wondering about Philip Larsen. I fully expected him to take the next step this season but he has surprisingly been in and out of the lineup and has merely 1 point to show for his efforts so far. Watching him last year I really thought he was a heck of a player that was close to breaking out. Even this season in the first two meetings between the Oilers and the Stars he looked decent. Is he really struggling? Playing solid but not putting up points? Just simply being outplayed by Dillon and others?
Not struggling. He's a fantastic player and he needs to be played. Unfortunately our coach thinks Jordie Benn, Aaron Rome, and Robidas are better than him.

I expect him to be traded unfortunately.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:29 PM
  #954
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,712
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Not struggling. He's a fantastic player and he needs to be played. Unfortunately our coach thinks Jordie Benn, Aaron Rome, and Robidas are better than him.

I expect him to be traded unfortunately.
This is simplifying things. He's struggled defensively when he's out there this season. Part of that is because he's been paired with Goligoski, which isn't' a good fit. But that doesn't entirely take the blame off him.

He's going through a sophmore slump, got outplayed early in the season, lost some confidence, and now is injured. He'll bounce back.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #955
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
This is simplifying things. He's struggled defensively when he's out there this season. Part of that is because he's been paired with Goligoski, which isn't' a good fit. But that doesn't entirely take the blame off him.

He's going through a sophmore slump, got outplayed early in the season, lost some confidence, and now is injured. He'll bounce back.
Oh, thanks for correcting my simple post.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:38 PM
  #956
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Not struggling. He's a fantastic player and he needs to be played. Unfortunately our coach thinks Jordie Benn, Aaron Rome, and Robidas are better than him.

I expect him to be traded unfortunately.
Fantastic? No. He looked to be on his way as a nice (but not spectacular) player last season, but he's been pretty bad this season.

Our coach recognizes that Larsen has serious physical limitations against bigger, stronger NHL opposition on a team with a couple of other undersized starting d-men. So the coach goes with bigger bodies when he can.

With the roster composition, Larsen quickly being passed on the depth chart by Dillon, and Larsen's own poor play and physical limitations, this is probably going down as a lost season for him. Next season may be even tougher because he should compete for plying time with Oleksiak and Nemeth, two guys with a lot more potential.

Troy McClure is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM
  #957
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,712
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Oh, thanks for correcting my simple post.
Obviously I disagreed with you that it's just Gulutzan's fault.

Why are you always so snarky when someone disagrees with you? You've been taking passive aggressive pot shots at people on this board the past few weeks nonstop.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:29 PM
  #958
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Obviously I disagreed with you that it's just Gulutzan's fault.

Why are you always so snarky when someone disagrees with you? You've been taking passive aggressive pot shots at people on this board the past few weeks nonstop.
No man, I'm just tired of everybody on this board ******** on everybody else. It's started with other people on this board, and they know who they are. I get sick and tired of everybody trying to correct everybody else instead of just accepting other ideas. So I'm just reacting the way others do now.

It's little shots at other people constantly, and it has worn its course with me. Everybody just takes these little snarky shots at each other now and honestly it's starting to look like 'the official team forums' and it's very annoying. Especially when this board used to be a super awesome place to come and talk about hockey. Now it just seems people are just interested in ******** on everything they read instead of having a legitimate discussion. Don't take it as an insult, it's just thick skin from me I guess. Would've PMed you, but I can't.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:49 PM
  #959
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 57
Fight the power cin, i'm with you my brotha

Nemeth is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:54 PM
  #960
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
Fight the power cin, i'm with you my brotha
I know I'm not the only one, so thanks.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
  #961
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,712
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
No man, I'm just tired of everybody on this board ******** on everybody else. It's started with other people on this board, and they know who they are. I get sick and tired of everybody trying to correct everybody else instead of just accepting other ideas. So I'm just reacting the way others do now.

It's little shots at other people constantly, and it has worn its course with me. Everybody just takes these little snarky shots at each other now and honestly it's starting to look like 'the official team forums' and it's very annoying. Especially when this board used to be a super awesome place to come and talk about hockey. Now it just seems people are just interested in ******** on everything they read instead of having a legitimate discussion. Don't take it as an insult, it's just thick skin from me I guess. Would've PMed you, but I can't.
I don't see how anything in my post couldn't have sparked a legitimate discussion. Maybe I've only noticed the past few months, but I feel like you're one of the bigger offenders of presenting your opinion as undeniable fact compared to other posters, and ******** on people who don't agree with your assessment. Just seems that doing the thing you supposedly hate about other posters seems counterproductive.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:00 PM
  #962
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I don't see how anything in my post couldn't have sparked a legitimate discussion. Maybe I've only noticed the past few months, but I feel like you're one of the bigger offenders of presenting your opinion as undeniable fact. Just seems that doing the thing you supposedly hate about other posters seems counterproductive.
I feel you man, I've just always fought fire with fire. It's very counterproductive, but if nobody stands up to it, then it'll just continue, ya know?

Do I deserve a lot of heat for the way I've conducted myself the past few months? Oh hell yeah. I don't think I'm the only one though. I don't respond to those people anymore though, now. So sorry I snapped at you.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
  #963
MetalGodAOD
Moderator
Star Rangers
 
MetalGodAOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11,712
vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I feel you man, I've just always fought fire with fire. It's very counterproductive, but if nobody stands up to it, then it'll just continue, ya know?

Do I deserve a lot of heat for the way I've conducted myself the past few months? Oh hell yeah. I don't think I'm the only one though. I don't respond to those people anymore though, now. So sorry I snapped at you.
Fair enough.

MetalGodAOD is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
  #964
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Fair enough.

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:14 PM
  #965
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 17,901
vCash: 157
I don't mind it all. If we all just accept everyone's ideas, it'd get really boring really fast here.

LatvianTwist is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
  #966
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Fantastic? No. He looked to be on his way as a nice (but not spectacular) player last season, but he's been pretty bad this season.

Our coach recognizes that Larsen has serious physical limitations against bigger, stronger NHL opposition on a team with a couple of other undersized starting d-men. So the coach goes with bigger bodies when he can.

With the roster composition, Larsen quickly being passed on the depth chart by Dillon, and Larsen's own poor play and physical limitations, this is probably going down as a lost season for him. Next season may be even tougher because he should compete for plying time with Oleksiak and Nemeth, two guys with a lot more potential.
This is what is puzzling to me. I remember thinking last season that Larsen was surprisingly capable in the strength/physicality department, but he has really struggled this season.

The main changes to the defense are Dillon for Souray and Rome for Fistric, pretty much a wash IMO, but the smaller guys have looked a lot less capable this season. Maybe other coaches have figured out some way to disrupt the Stars, or maybe it is the "Western Conference" that people are always claiming is much more physical when Mike Green is being traded to the West on the trade board.

Mr Misty is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:27 PM
  #967
Phil Connors*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500


edit: ELE (should be our boards new slogan)


Last edited by Phil Connors*: 03-03-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Phil Connors* is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:30 PM
  #968
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 6,936
vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Yes!

Cin is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
  #969
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems
 
Nemeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 57
That video made me burst out laughing at the library, now everyone is looking at me


Nemeth is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:42 PM
  #970
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 14,665
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Local.
The Texas Rangers were much better at signing/acquiring veteran players who could both bridge the gap until prospects became ready and trading them away for prospects (in most cases). Very few significant trades of veterans brought back other veterans; I actually can't think of a single one off the top of my head similar to this Ryder/Cole trade. They were also much better at developing their young talent into major league players.

glovesave_35 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:13 PM
  #971
HatchtrickBateman
Registered User
 
HatchtrickBateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Not struggling. He's a fantastic player and he needs to be played. Unfortunately our coach thinks Jordie Benn, Aaron Rome, and Robidas are better than him.

I expect him to be traded unfortunately.
Well at least one, maybe two of those players are better than him, atm... Benn on the other hand..not even close.. I agree with you though that he is definitely promising and needs to be playing.

HatchtrickBateman is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
  #972
Satan
why did she go
 
Satan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: exchange
Country: Germany
Posts: 37,693
vCash: 50
Erik Cole will have a big game vs Kings on Thursday.

Hopefully Whitney is back too

Satan is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:04 AM
  #973
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,613
vCash: 475
If anyone had doubts about size being a motivating factor on the Ryder trade or trades for Dallas going forward:

Quote:
“I think [size] it’s really important,” Nieuwendyk said. “Look at St. Louis, San Jose, Anaheim … there’s a lot of weight out there. That was one of our thought processes when we acquired Cole. He’s a big guy who can skate and plays on the inside. He challenges the opposing team.”
Quote:
“We were light,” Nieuwendyk said. “We were a team that could be pushed to the outside. Now we’re taking the steps and adding people that will allow us to play more on the inside.”
Quote:
Niewy is always talking size,” Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said. “He thinks you need to be bigger. Look at our drafts. Those guys are all 6-3 and 6-4. To compete out here you need size. Look at the guys LA brought in for their playoff run last year. You need that.”
They're not going to keep 4 small defenders. The positive from that is Robidas' time will quickly come to an end in Dallas. If he's not moved this year, and I don't think he will, he'll be gone in the summer. He's been much better lately, but I honestly believe that's because he's getting to play with Dillon. The bad for some people will be Larsen is gone as well. They've committed to Goligoski, and I don't think they're prepared to admit defeat. Daley has obviously been the best of the 4. That leaves Larsen on the outside. He may have struggled recently, but I wish they'd give a chance to develop. We know Les Jackson loved him, and Jackson is probably Dallas' best talent evaluator.

BigG44 is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  #974
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
They're not going to keep 4 small defenders. The positive from that is Robidas' time will quickly come to an end in Dallas. If he's not moved this year, and I don't think he will, he'll be gone in the summer. He's been much better lately, but I honestly believe that's because he's getting to play with Dillon. The bad for some people will be Larsen is gone as well. They've committed to Goligoski, and I don't think they're prepared to admit defeat. Daley has obviously been the best of the 4. That leaves Larsen on the outside. He may have struggled recently, but I wish they'd give a chance to develop. We know Les Jackson loved him, and Jackson is probably Dallas' best talent evaluator.
It may be too soon to say Larsen is gone. He may very well be the guy to take Robidas's spot.

If Larsen does go, I think it will be because the team thinks both Oleksiak and Nemeth are ready to make the jump next year and the team sees Larsen as the odd man out. Chances are, even something like that would not resolve itself until next fall when the team holds camp and sees how everyone is playing.

I would be surprised if the team was quick to move Larsen. He's under contract for cheap next year. There's no reason to be rash about moving him.

Troy McClure is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
  #975
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,613
vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It may be too soon to say Larsen is gone. He may very well be the guy to take Robidas's spot.

If Larsen does go, I think it will be because the team thinks both Oleksiak and Nemeth are ready to make the jump next year and the team sees Larsen as the odd man out. Chances are, even something like that would not resolve itself until next fall when the team holds camp and sees how everyone is playing.

I would be surprised if the team was quick to move Larsen. He's under contract for cheap next year. There's no reason to be rash about moving him.
Hopefully you are right, but I can't see Joe being OK with 3 small D.

BigG44 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.