Old
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
What stuck out to me is...

We NEED him? They're absolutely set on playing him on the powerplay no matter what. Absolutely set.
Rather see them try Nystrom out there, not that he's ideal or anything. At least he can win a puck battle and can skate way better.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:42 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
If the demand is high and the supply of quality UFAs is low, then the price goes up. Look at the past year and how many quality UFAs were out there. The competition for Suter and Parise was intense because those were the two players that could have fixed the problems on most teams.
Yes, but that issue hasn't changed even today i.e., in this era. Point remains that GMs were crazy then, and they're just as crazy now. Yes there were ludicrous Holik, Kasparaitis signings in that era, but what did separate the two eras is that contract term-lengths never exceeded 5-6 years before the cap came into place. Fast forward to this era and you see 15 years for DiPietro, 8 for Campbell, 10 for Ehrhoff, 12 for Hossa, 12 for Luongo, 12 for Zetterberg, 11 for Franzen, 15 for Kovalchuk, 13 each for Suter and Parise, 14 for Weber, and so on. Might I say the stupidity is much stronger in this era.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Yes, but that issue hasn't changed even today i.e., in this era. Point remains that GMs were crazy then, and they're just as crazy now. Yes there were ludicrous Holik, Kasparaitis signings in that era, but what did separate the two eras is that contract term-lengths never exceeded 5-6 years before the cap came into place. Fast forward to this era and you see 15 years for DiPietro, 8 for Campbell, 10 for Ehrhoff, 12 for Hossa, 12 for Luongo, 12 for Zetterberg, 11 for Franzen, 15 for Kovalchuk, 13 each for Suter and Parise, 14 for Weber, and so on. Might I say the stupidity is much stronger in this era.
No doubt.

But longer contracts mean fewer big UFAs in any given season and fewer teams can fix themselves from without rather than through the draft.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
No doubt.

But longer contracts mean fewer big UFAs in any given season and fewer teams can fix themselves from without rather than through the draft.
Again a good point theoretically, but I don't see that affecting the pool that much and it probably won't. I think players hitting UFA 2 years (?) earlier post-2005 CBA combined with RFAs like Getzlaf, Perry, Seguin, Skinner, Benn, etc. signing deals that terminate around UFA year or UFA year+1 is probably going to off-set the extremely long-term deals (might I say, the deals for Parise and Suter pre-UFA are examples of that), which are now a thing of the past anyway.

We had a "meh" 2011 UFA season, followed by a frenzied 2012, and looks like another bumper 2013 season.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 01-29-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 05:35 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Proposed this on the trade board, Pittsburgh fans seemed to love it. Obviously only happens if R. Smith/Fraser pushes their way into the top 6 or when (hopefully if?) we're out of it.

Ryder + Morrow

Bleuger + Tangradi + 2nd + 5th

Don't see either playing here next season even if we do keep them through the season. Bleuger is a guy I obviously have a personal bias for, but he's still a solid prospect and center depth is pretty much filled all throughout the organization with him. Tangradi is a lot like Vincour IMO, and I think a change of scenery could really do him some good. And with the way we've been drafting lately, adding 2 more picks is great.

Obviously getting one of their D prospects back would be great, but I just don't see it happening. Dumoulin was just traded for. Pouliot and Määttä were just drafted. Morrow is probably the best of those 6 so I doubt he'd be moved, and he and Pouliot have been linemates for quite a while too. That leaves Harrington and Despres. Harrington is a bit redundant when we have guys like Daley, Oleksiak, Dillon, Nemeth, etc., and I also have a feeling Pittsburgh wouldn't part with him. Despres would only come back if they got a defenseman in return, and I doubt Robidas would be enough.

I'd do it, like I said, if we're out of it or can replace Ryder. Just wanted to get some more Stars' fans' feedback since it's all been Pittsburgh.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Proposed this on the trade board, Pittsburgh fans seemed to love it. Obviously only happens if R. Smith/Fraser pushes their way into the top 6 or when (hopefully if?) we're out of it.

Ryder + Morrow

Bleuger + Tangradi + 2nd + 5th

Don't see either playing here next season even if we do keep them through the season. Bleuger is a guy I obviously have a personal bias for, but he's still a solid prospect and center depth is pretty much filled all throughout the organization with him. Tangradi is a lot like Vincour IMO, and I think a change of scenery could really do him some good. And with the way we've been drafting lately, adding 2 more picks is great.

Obviously getting one of their D prospects back would be great, but I just don't see it happening. Dumoulin was just traded for. Pouliot and Määttä were just drafted. Morrow is probably the best of those 6 so I doubt he'd be moved, and he and Pouliot have been linemates for quite a while too. That leaves Harrington and Despres. Harrington is a bit redundant when we have guys like Daley, Oleksiak, Dillon, Nemeth, etc., and I also have a feeling Pittsburgh wouldn't part with him. Despres would only come back if they got a defenseman in return, and I doubt Robidas would be enough.

I'd do it, like I said, if we're out of it or can replace Ryder. Just wanted to get some more Stars' fans' feedback since it's all been Pittsburgh.
Are those 2013 picks?

Old
01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Yes.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
I'd rather do the Morrow for Bleuger transaction and then deal Ryder elsewhere for more.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:49 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
As for Armstrong: Was that management pressure at that time to build a tight-checking grinding team that pushed him to do that? I don't know. He sure doesn't seem to exhibit his "quantity over quality" trait in St. Louis, even if it's too early to judge that.
As GM he was "management".

It was reported at the time that it was Armstrong's M.O. to drop down a few spots to be able to get more picks. During his tenure here he did this routinely while other teams routinely targeted specific players and traded up. San Jose did this to draft Couture and Setoguchi. Anaheim drafted Perry with our own freaking pick. And New Jersey also drafted Travis Zajac.

In reality it's smart to trade back every once in a while, so long as you know when to trade up. I view Armstrong's draft day handlings as cowardly. He took the easy way out by going quantity over quality and never sticking his neck out there by targeting a player and going after him (like the Sharks did with Couture).

Old
01-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Captain Awesome

I think if you're going to trade with Pittsburgh again you target one of their thousand D-men prospects.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think if you're going to trade with Pittsburgh again you target one of their thousand D-men prospects.
Oh wait.

We did that already. Carl Sneep is in the AHL.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
The only teams that can't catch us with their games in hand...in the entire league...is Florida and Philly.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
The only teams that can't catch us with their games in hand...in the entire league...is Florida and Philly.
Philly is tanking for Jones, and who knows what Florida is doing. Probably sucking because their roster grossly overachieved last year.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Philly is tanking for Jones, and who knows what Florida is doing. Probably sucking because their roster grossly overachieved last year.
Florida has like 7 major injuries to key players. It sucks for them and for us. I have no clue what the hell is going on in Philly but they need to start playing better. Colorado Nashville, and Columbus in the west are going to give us a run for Jones.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:29 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Florida has like 7 major injuries to key players. It sucks for them and for us. I have no clue what the hell is going on in Philly but they need to start playing better. Colorado Nashville, and Columbus in the west are going to give us a run for Jones.
I think we would all like Jones but this draft looks very solid in the top 5 (Jones (D), McKinnon (C), Drouin (LW), Barkov (C), Lindholm (C) ). If the rails really come off this thing like its looking we should be happy with any of them.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
It could easily happen because of poor decisions to start him on B2Bs like last night and tonight, but I truly believe Lehts will need to miss a good chunk of the season for Dallas to finish Top 5.

This is a dysfunctional team with a game changing goalie. He'll have games like tonight, but 1 game goals will be the norm IMO because of Kari.

It only takes a 3 or 4 week injury to miss 1/4 of the season so it's possible.

Since we're on the topic, Barkov still is the guy I've fallen in love with. Jones would be fantastic, but if Dallas doesn't get the 1st pick I'd love to see this guy fall to Dallas.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It could easily happen because of poor decisions to start him on B2Bs like last night and tonight, but I truly believe Lehts will need to miss a good chunk of the season for Dallas to finish Top 5.
I think having to play only against the West is going to really hurt us honestly. We got a lot of points off Eastern teams, if I remember correctly, last season.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Colorado Nashville, and Columbus in the west are going to give us a run for Jones.
It's way too early to be talking about tanking. With the exception of like five or six teams, everyone else is basically in the same situation.

Also when the tanking is brought up every year this team starts winning.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:47 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It could easily happen because of poor decisions to start him on B2Bs
I think it's going to be tough for the Stars to lose all seven of the remaining second games of back to backs. I can definitely see them losing six of the remaining seven.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Remaining 2nd half of back to backs...
at Phoenix (2/02)
at Calgary (2/13)
at Columbus (2/26)
at Los Angeles (3/21)
vs Anaheim (4/01)
vs San Jose (4/13)
at St. Louis (4/19)

Could easily lose all 7 really. Columbus and Calgary our best bets.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:09 AM
________

Quote:
at Phoenix (2/02)
at Calgary (2/13)
at Columbus (2/26)
at Los Angeles (3/21)
vs Anaheim (4/01)
vs San Jose (4/13)
at St. Louis (4/19)

I'd throw the Anaheim at home one in the mix to.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
at Phoenix (2/02)
at Calgary (2/13)
at Columbus (2/26)
at Los Angeles (3/21)
vs Anaheim (4/01)
vs San Jose (4/13)
at St. Louis (4/19)

Ahh, the list of insta-losses.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:28 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
The guy that broke the Neal-Goligoski trade, Pens beat reporter Rob Rossi, says Pens are looking for a winger.

Quote:
Hearing a lot of rumblings about the Penguins looking for a winger. Nothing close yet, but know that D Simon Despres can be had for the right price. Question becomes is that price a veteran winger with a short-term future or if the scouting staff has identified the next James Neal and now GM Ray Shero is set on trying to bring said player to Pittsburgh.

Keep in mind:

Shero has twice (Ryan Whitney, 2009; Alex Goligoski, 2011) traded young defensemen for long-term fit wingers (Chris Kunitz, Neal). Each time he has made that move before the trade deadline, and in February.
Dallas could be a cheaper trade partner than having to give up Despres. I don't think Dallas has an asset they'd be willing to move who would command the young defender. Ryder would be the closet to having that value, but even he feels pretty far off.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
jagrgodr

You guys have one of the leagues best goalies so i would say there is always hope for the season. I think the Stars had one of the hardest starting schedules so please keep that in mind, did you really expect them to really tear it up the first 10 games?!?

I mean the Stars could certainly do horrible, but with a few actual practices the team could be competitive. The first line has shown signs of greatness last night, so if we can just figure our defensive problems we could EASILY go on a hot streak. If we win 2 out of the next 3 games we are in a good position in the western conference. Even if we lose 2 out of 3, it is still early and i think the team has the potential to make the playoffs.

Kari has faced the most shots in the league but has one of the best save percentages. If you have a great goalie you can stay competitive in most games with half way decent defending

Old
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
jagrgodr

AS FOR THE SCHEDULE...

Next 9 games will be TOUGH. 7 away games, 2 home games. After the home and home with the coyotes on friday/saturday, monday they go to colorado and wednesday play in edmonton.

Friday they get home and play anaheim, and here is where they can get some more practice. Their next game is tuesday the 12th at edmonton, so they could practice at home from thursday to the monday. They need to get their act together around this time, go on a 3 game road trip and then this is where the fun begins.

From February 17th to April 1st, the Stars will host 14 home games and be on the road for only 6. So we just need to be at around .500 around February 17th and we could be in a really good position.

I think we need to calm down, we had a rough start to the season with no Benn in training camp and so many road games with very little practice time.

Closed Thread