HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Canucks 100% Committed to Schneider?

Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 50
Have the Canucks 100% Committed to Schneider?

Hey all,
Leaf fan here, I come in peace. No trolling, honest question. If this is already being addressed in a separate thread from Luongo speculation, I'm sorry for missing it.

Here it is:

Have the Canucks completely closed the door on Luongo being a member of the Canucks, or could they, assuming the market for Luongo remains stagnant (as it appears to me), trade Schneider instead of Luongo?

Is this being considered by Canuck fans on any level? I assume there are still many people who love Luongo and are loathe to see him traded, and the cap hits are not very different.

I expect that keeping both is out of the question. While Gillis can perhaps float out the remainder of the season with a goalie payroll of nearly $10M, it certainly can't go beyond that when the cap drops to $64.3M.

If Schneider is available, what sort of value does he get? The slow start notwithstanding, of course.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If the Canucks trade Schneider, and Luongo in 2 years turns around and demands a trade (permitted as per his contract) we are completely screwed. I'd say its a safe bet Luongo will be the one traded.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Short answer: Yes.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Hey all,
Leaf fan here, I come in peace. No trolling, honest question. If this is already being addressed in a separate thread from Luongo speculation, I'm sorry for missing it.

Here it is:

Have the Canucks completely closed the door on Luongo being a member of the Canucks, or could they, assuming the market for Luongo remains stagnant (as it appears to me), trade Schneider instead of Luongo?

Is this being considered by Canuck fans on any level? I assume there are still many people who love Luongo and are loathe to see him traded, and the cap hits are not very different.

I expect that keeping both is out of the question. While Gillis can perhaps float out the remainder of the season with a goalie payroll of nearly $10M, it certainly can't go beyond that when the cap drops to $64.3M.

If Schneider is available, what sort of value does he get? The slow start notwithstanding, of course.

There are differing points of view on this. Some believe it's still possible for Luongo to remain here long-term after what has happened, but I don't see it. I am very confident in saying that the Canucks have chosen Schneider to be _the_ guy moving forward. He will not move.

As for the market being bare on Luongo, we'll see. Sometimes it takes a long time to work out a deal. The more important the player, the longer it takes. For instance, it was stated that at the time of the Booth deal that it took Gillis and Tallon 1 year+ to finally come to terms. So in that respect, I wouldn't infer one thing or another about what the market is for Luongo. There are a lot of patient GMs in the league...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Hey all,

Here it is:

You're asking the wrong question. Luongo is the one who asked for a trade. The speculation is everything from he wants to be a #1, to he wants to be closer to Florida, to personal reason.

I think that there's 0% chance he stays.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
I hope not. At least, not yet. I don't think we should be too hasty in trading the best goalie in franchise history. Give it a little longer before deciding who we'll continue with going forwards. I don't see age as that big of an issue, as we have some solid goaltending prospects as well.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
TheBleedingEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
You're asking the wrong question. Luongo is the one who asked for a trade. The speculation is everything from he wants to be a #1, to he wants to be closer to Florida, to personal reason.

If Washington keeps their play up it could be alot sooner then later, also who knows with Philly. Bryz sure dropped off after Phoenix but thats a result of their system.

TheBleedingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
lush
@jasonlush

When it comes to this subject, nothing would really surprise me anymore.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If the Canucks trade Schneider, and Luongo in 2 years turns around and demands a trade (permitted as per his contract) we are completely screwed. I'd say its a safe bet Luongo will be the one traded.
Because this has been holding him back?

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Moore Money
Registered Snoozer

110%

they can't risk Luongo wanting revenge for this whole charade. revenge being, demanding a trade leaving the nucks with nothing.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Straight up for Bozak.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Because this has been holding him back?
It's much more specific, and it has teeth.

If Luongo asks for a trade in "his" window and is not moved that offseason, the team's own window in which it can compel him to provide a list of teams is nullified.

Whereas we've seen here that Luongo might well (according to Mike Gillis most recent comments) play a full season or perhaps even more as the backup here before getting moved.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post

That has to have been a mutual agreement. If Luongo was the only one asking to be dealt, the Canucks would not have signed Schneider to as large of a contract as they did.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
110%

they can't risk Luongo wanting revenge for this whole charade. revenge being, demanding a trade leaving the nucks with nothing.
What? How do you figure?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:45 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Straight up for Bozak.
All joking aside, I meant more along the lines of, given what we know Gillis is asking for Luongo, is Schneider's price greater or lower than the Luongo price (roster player that is not a cap dump + high-end prospect + pick).

If Schneider could command more of a return (due to the much more favourable contract length and youth factor) isn't that worth consideration?

Old
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
All joking aside, I meant more along the lines of, given what we know Gillis is asking for Luongo, is Schneider's price greater or lower than the Luongo price (roster player that is not a cap dump + high-end prospect + pick).

If Schneider could command more of a return (due to the much more favourable contract length and youth factor) isn't that worth consideration?
What is Gillis's asking price for Luongo? I mean did he say that?

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:

Schneider would command considerably more, but Gillis would have had to have been absolutely knocked off his feet around the draft for this to have happened. Once we got past the entry draft, it became 100% about trading Luongo. There is no way to walk this one back at this point.

Even if Luongo stole the job and won a cup ala Tim Thomas, I think they'd trade him (just for considerably more than they can now) after the season.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Unless a team offers something huge for Schneider, Luongo is gone.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
CookieCrumbs*

Who knows man. Nobody in here does, that's for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one day and Schneider was involved in some blockbuster deal.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:20 PM
alternate
It's Miller time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You're referring here to Luongo's escape clause, yes? I was wondering about that the other day but forgot. So it's two years away when he can trigger a trade. That has to hurt his value I'd think....

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
You're referring here to Luongo's escape clause, yes? I was wondering about that the other day but forgot. So it's two years away when he can trigger a trade. That has to hurt his value I'd think....
He can't force a trade, if the team holding his contract at the time declines to trade him they just lose their own window a further two years down the line.

So basically they can move him if he wants to be moved during that offseason, or they can keep him and hope that if/when they decide they want to move him that he agrees to waive his NTC at that time.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
alternate
It's Miller time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
He can't force a trade, if the team holding his contract at the time declines to trade him they just lose their own window a further two years down the line.

So basically they can move him if he wants to be moved during that offseason, or they can keep him and hope that if/when they decide they want to move him that he agrees to waive his NTC at that time.
Why have the clause then? He could ask for a trade any time and it would be up to the team whether they did it or not.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:40 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Why have the clause then? He could ask for a trade any time and it would be up to the team whether they did it or not.
Well, if you're in year 5 of the deal and you don't want to be stuck with years 9-12 and Luongo asks for a trade, your choice is to either honour his request or to face the possibility that he'll be on your team for the remainder of his contract.

If he's happy there then you still have a chance to move him, no questions asked.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:14 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
I don't see how you keep Luongo after this whole fiasco, honestly. Schneider is our man, and I really don't think Luongo has a shot to regain that title, at least not with the Canucks.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
goodluckchuck

people need to ask, why would Luongo go from a cup contender (what most of you claim the canucks are) to a team that fights just to get in the playoffs (and most likely won't make it)

it makes 0 sense for Luongo to ask for a trade. He is being forced out of Vancouver.

Luongo has handled the whole situation with class. The organization not so much. They've thrown him under the bus completely.

goodluckchuck is offline   Reply With Quote