HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks needs (early season edition)

Old
01-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Hawks needs (early season edition)

I think its pretty evident that Shaw is a much better wing where he can just skate around and agitate than as a center. Bowman needs to go out and find a lockdown 3rd line center. If that center can hit a little bit, that'd be even better. This is much more attainable than a 2nd line center which we've needed the past several years (both in cost to obtain and cap hit). If he can obtain a player like that, then this roster really doesn't have many holes in it.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Bolland-Kane
Shaw-defensive center-stalberg
Frolik-Kruger-Carcillo

Thats a pretty intimidating front line. It even allows you to move Carcillo up to the top line if Saad falters and you can put Bickell on the 4th line.

Obviously another need is back up goalie, but I think it'll take Emery coming out and playing terrible in 2 more games before Bowman even considers that (or considers bringing Karlsson up).

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Sarava

I doubt Bowman does anything about #3 center with Danault seemingly getting close to Chicago. The position that could/should be upgraded is goaltending. The Hawks have some nice prospects they could dangle out there to get a good goaltender in here.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I doubt Bowman does anything about #3 center with Danault seemingly getting close to Chicago. The position that could/should be upgraded is goaltending. The Hawks have some nice prospects they could dangle out there to get a good goaltender in here.
They aren't going to replace Crawford, people need to forget about that. He'd have to fail really hard for them to make a move for a starting goaltender. If Emery fails, you'll see Karlsson.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
They aren't going to replace Crawford, people need to forget about that. He'd have to fail really hard for them to make a move for a starting goaltender. If Emery fails, you'll see Karlsson.
Why should we forget about trying to fix our biggest weakness?

Crawford's been playing good enough to win, but he's still the weakest link on this team.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Why should we forget about trying to fix our biggest weakness?

Crawford's been playing good enough to win, but he's still the weakest link on this team.
Because teams don't trade starting goalies during the season. Plus Crawford is going to have to play terrible to get replaced. I'm sure its happened, but when was the last time a team traded for a starting goalie during the season and it worked?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:36 AM
BobbyJet

[QUOTE=Sevanston;58308025]Why should we forget about trying to fix our biggest weakness?

Crawford's been playing good enough to win, but he's still the weakest link on this team.[/QUOTE]

Yep.
Let me insert this to the middle of that statement “in the regular season”

A win is a win but Crawford needs to be better for us to be legit contender. Like every player in the league right now, it is too early to criticise, but I think we all know what CC brings. Hawks were one of the rare teams in the history of the NHL to win a SC with so-so goaltending in 2010 and I don’t think it is reasonable to expect it to happen again. I’ll just leave it at that for now except to say that if Stan waits too long, the precious few netminders that can make a difference to this team today will be gone. I’m referring to Bishop and Bernier.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Because teams don't trade starting goalies during the season. Plus Crawford is going to have to play terrible to get replaced. I'm sure its happened, but when was the last time a team traded for a starting goalie during the season and it worked?
If his history in 7 previous seasons as a professional is any indication - that time where he plays terrible will probably come before long.

I do agree with one thing. A trade probably won't happen, because our GM seems to be afraid to to pull the trigger on major or even moderate deals.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
If his history in 7 previous seasons as a professional is any indication - that time where he plays terrible will probably come before long.

I do agree with one thing. A trade probably won't happen, because our GM seems to be afraid to to pull the trigger on major or even moderate deals.
Let me know when Crawford played bad his rookie season. .917 in the regular season, .927 in the playoffs.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:56 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Let me know when Crawford played bad his rookie season. .917 in the regular season, .927 in the playoffs.
Great he had one nice season. And last year he was one of the worst goaltenders in the NHL. When a player is as bad as he was last year - they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. And it's downright stupid to trust an otherwise Stanley Cup ready team in his hands.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Sarava

So if you're against upgrading goaltending...what the hell was the point of this thread? You know who Danault is I assume? They're not bringing a #3 center in.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
EmeticDonut

The narrative around here seems to be that Crawford's bad sophomore season is what is going to define the rest of his career, not his good rookie season. Why not see how he does this season before calling it? Oh that's right, Hawks fan absolutely must have something to whine about and hate on.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Great he had one nice season. And last year he was one of the worst goaltenders in the NHL. When a player is as bad as he was last year - they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. And it's downright stupid to trust an otherwise Stanley Cup ready team in his hands.
So we get to discount his one really good season and define him by his one bad season. That makes a ton of sense.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
So if you're against upgrading goaltending...what the hell was the point of this thread? You know who Danault is I assume? They're not bringing a #3 center in.
Seriously? You seriously think they're going to bring in Danault this year to play the shutdown role as a 3rd line center? He's 19 and not even in the AHL. Last year he was -5 in his 7 games in Rockford. Danault is probably 2 or 3 years away from being ont he Hawks.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
The narrative around here seems to be that Crawford's bad sophomore season is what is going to define the rest of his career, not his good rookie season. Why not see how he does this season before calling it? Oh that's right, Hawks fan absolutely must have something to whine about and hate on.
Quick was a .914 goalie as a rookie, .907 in his 2nd year (.884 that year in the playoffs). Guy will never make it.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
I'm glad you can perpetuate this belief by meta-whining.

If you haven't noticed, the season has started already. We are seeing how he's doing.

Pucks slipping between his legs does not instill confidence. Neither does needing Duncan Keith to save two goals for him.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Cullksinikers

Hawks are definitely in need of a third line center. Shaw is simply not good at it. I say you put Shaw in a bottom-six wing role and hope he regains his form from last year.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
I'm glad you can perpetuate this belief by meta-whining.

If you haven't noticed, the season has started already. We are seeing how he's doing.

Pucks slipping between his legs does not instill confidence. Neither does needing Duncan Keith to save two goals for him.
I see 3 wins and a 92 sv% and a sub 2.00 GAA.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
I see 3 wins and a 92 sv% and a sub 2.00 GAA.
If that's all you see, then you're being willfully ignorant of what's happening on the ice.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
crazyhawk

Quote:
If that's all you see, then you're being willfully ignorant of what's happening on the ice.
Clearly he isn't perfect but neither was Niemi in 2010.
Jury is still out on him but from my perspective we are trending in the right direction.
He just needs to address these soft goals that flow through him somehow.
But please Stan get Bishop or someone to be there when we need him as we can't waste this season what with the way the team is playing up front!

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:23 PM
hawksfan50

Well we still are winning and dominating with good scoring chances and puck posession DESPITE the drawbacks on faceoffs after Toews...

Toews @ 63.2%,Bolland @ 47.8% ,Kruger @46.2% and Shaw @ only 44.8% --so clearly faceoff wins after Toews is a problem(how much better and even more o-zone chances wouldwe be if we coulod improve in the dot after Toews?) and SHAW is so far the worst of the 3 centres after Toews in the dot...NOW Bickell leads the league in FO%--but he is of course only 1 for 1 -nevertheless MAYBE he could do better than 44.8%? The common denominator for Bolland,Kruger and Shaw is that they are all not very big or very strong -now winning faceoffs ma be mostly technique and hand quickness --OR maybe you can also win with more size,reach and strength ? Surely Q and the braintrust ought to TRY to see if Bickell or Stalberg on line #3 could do better than 44.8% --just take the draw and then switch to doing the wing role while Shaw swings from lining up as a winger on draws then once the draw is over switches back into the centre spot for all other aspects ? IF they have tried this in practice and found worse faceoff results then obviously that is a no go--BUT if they have not tried it -WHY NOT? This is an issue to submit for an upcoming podcast on the Blackhawks website,n'est-ce pas?

THE OTHER IMMEDIATE HAWKS BIG NEED to be addressed is the sub-par play of SEABROOK---unlike almost everyone else on the team he seems not yet to have found anywhere near his top form --he looks slower and slower reacting and not as focused as he ought to be if he played his "B" game let alone an "A" game ..insted in 4GP we have seen mostly C or D games from him ..the focus part hopefully improves with more games -but the slowness in skating part needs immediate attention --the remedy: IF there is one guy deserately requiring a BAG SKATE -so far it woulk have to be Seabrook --I do not know if this was from rust or from coming in not in top shape -but whatever he must pick up the speed ...He gave up 2 break-away chances last night--one where Crawford did not bail him out with a save he had but let in anyway -maybe with more speed Seabrook could have gotten back to bust up that play --then the 2nd break -away where he almost got back in time but not quite and had to haul the guy down and cause a penalty shot which Craford luckily did bail him out on...So with better speed maybe Seabrook gets back in time to prevent both chances ,,it is one area of "improvement" we ought to expect as he gets "conditioned" better through more GP ...(I HOPE!)

However -not only the 2 break-aways are an immediate concern caused by Seabrook's off form -but also he'been too slow in reactions to lose pucks or getting to positionsof coverage--this is part his rusyiness in skating at top speed but ALSO his focus is off -he needs to shake the cobwebs on that too...

Anyway-give him a BAG SKATE to get the message accross..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
Clearly he isn't perfect but neither was Niemi in 2010.
Jury is still out on him but from my perspective we are trending in the right direction.
He just needs to address these soft goals that flow through him somehow.
But please Stan get Bishop or someone to be there when we need him as we can't waste this season what with the way the team is playing up front!
The only perfect goalie is literally just a wall.

I'm not looking for a perfect netminder. Just an improvement, especially on those soft goals. If that comes from Crawford himself or from a trade, or even from Emery/Karlsson, I really don't care.

But Crawford, at the level he's playing right now, is the weakest link on this team. It's not even close, in my opinion.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Gurth

Quote:
And maybe you're overblowing what you're seeing.

A lot of players are having shaky starts. If this is Crawford's shaky start, then we're in pretty good shape.

And yes, Hawks fans do tend to look for things to complain about. We're 4-0.

Let's see what happens in the next 5 to 10 games.

Can't wait for people to start complaining about Toews' slow start.

Canucks fans were leaping from bridges after Schneider's first game.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Seriously? You seriously think they're going to bring in Danault this year to play the shutdown role as a 3rd line center? He's 19 and not even in the AHL. Last year he was -5 in his 7 games in Rockford. Danault is probably 2 or 3 years away from being ont he Hawks.
Not this year. But if our GM won't fill holes that we have nothing in the pipeline for. He certainly isn't going to fill one that might be filled by September.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Not this year. But if our GM won't fill holes that we have nothing in the pipeline for. He certainly isn't going to fill one that might be filled by September.
The Hawks have needed a defenseman at the deadline the last 3 years and Bowman has got one each time (Boynton, Campoli, Oduya). No he hasn't acquired a second line center, but those don't often move during the season.

I think a move like Tallon made in 2009 would be perfect when he got Pahlsson. Thats the kind of player we need.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Quick was a .914 goalie as a rookie, .907 in his 2nd year (.884 that year in the playoffs). Guy will never make it.
Jonathan Quick has been very good in all but 1 of his professional seasons. Corey Crawford has been good in 2 of his 7 professional seasons. You couldn't have picked a worse example to try to make your point