HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
How do you figure? Seemed to me he got better between his rookie year and sophmore year. I'm curious to see how you measure this?

13G+14A then 14G+32A. Seems like its trending up to me.

The Wiz is right. We wouldn't be talking about this if he had a good first 4 games of the season. Its a knee jerk reaction that you are trying to justify
Except this was being talked about last season by quite a few of us who weren't into staturbating.

Better yet: Instead of defaulting to stats, what exactly is it about his on-ice play the last season that says to you, Marcus Johansson is developing into the potential that you expect him to fulfill?

Last edited by Brad Tolliver: 01-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And you feel trading Johansson will fix that?
In a direct 1 for 1 trade no? No one trade will take this team from current suckage to a cup winner. But with the upcoming UFA class and the probability of having another high draft pick we can be reloaded. So trading him for another piece to reload is how it helps this team.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Wonder if Okposo is worth taking a shot at.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It doesn't have merit when it's completely reactionary based on a bad week. This debate isn't happening if Mojo has a good first four games.
Bad week? Try bad 4 years!!! This team has failed to take the next step as a whole. First and second round exits 4 straight years is not progress. It's lack thereof. Mojo is a piece we can move that still has some value that could net us a piece for now and the future. Why do you think people have this personal vendetta against him. I'm sure 99% of the people that want him gone are people who want to see this team finally get over the hump.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:53 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Specific to Majo, yes you are right. I agree 100%. However, it was due to happen to some young piece (Holtby is another that has struggled, Orlov isnt playing due to injury, Carlson and Alzner are struggling, Backstrom and MaJo, etc etc). I suppose I should be more transparent in that I am not pointing the finger at MaJo...but rather the entirety of the situation (too much youth/immaturity).

I talked last year about the top 6 D-men being so young/immature (Green, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov)..and that being an issue. Hamrlik and Erskine doesnt change that, as they are complimentary players, not go to Vets. Poti is an interesting possibility, one that wasnt foreseen this year. So maybe he's an answer. (and before anyone says Green is old......come on).

Its obviously a possible issue in goal too.
I don't disagree that the team is poorly constructed.

Though I don't believe the youth is the problem. There's a lack of speed and grit throughout the lineup, especially on the bottom half of the defense. There's almost no offensive creativity or a shooting threat on the left side of the defense. There's very little cohesion offensively. The team is at least one goal-scorer short. There's little stability in goal.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
Wonder if Okposo is worth taking a shot at.
A 24 year-old 20 goal scorer on a very manageable contract? Absolutely. Is there any reason to believe the Isles would trade him?

Old
01-29-2013, 01:59 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
A 24 year-old 20 goal scorer on a very manageable contract? Absolutely. Is there any reason to believe the Isles would trade him?
I mean probably not. I was just reading their thread on him though and there are some who think its time to move him. I get the vibe he isn't what some of them thought he'd be so they are overly critical of him sometimes. I just think if he doesn't find chemistry with anyone this year or something, there could be an opportunity.

I dont think he's untouchable by any means

Old
01-29-2013, 02:05 PM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

Luongo trade rumors to Wash?

So Hockey Buzz is saying that the Caps have peaked interest in Luongo. He by no means is the answers to our prayers.

What would have to be on the table to get Luongo and how would we make room for that kinda salary in the Cap.

Does anyone even want him here?

Old
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Could this even work cap wise?

Old
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I don't disagree that the team is poorly constructed.

Though I don't believe the youth is the problem. There's a lack of speed and grit throughout the lineup, especially on the bottom half of the defense. There's almost no offensive creativity or a shooting threat on the left side of the defense. There's very little cohesion offensively. The team is at least one goal-scorer short. There's little stability in goal.
Lots of ways to skin the cat, and realize all the issues with this team.

Time for a new leader of the franchise, yes?

Or are you ok with keeping the same "lead thinker" in place? (not Ted, he's here for the duration, obviously).

Old
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

make it stop.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:10 PM
txpd

the capitals cant be interested in luongo. there salary cap is set up for young, low cost goalies of which they have two that are capable of being successful. you can make a case that both neuvirth and holtby have played better in the post season than luongo has.

i see no scenario where luongo makes sense. this idea that the caps need a goalie is born out of their goalies being young and not well known to those that start this talk. hockey buzz for instance

Old
01-29-2013, 02:11 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Knock Knock.

**** HockeyBuzz.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It's hockeybuzz.

Did you really need to make a new thread about a hockeybuzz rumor?

Old
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
make it stop.
This I have no interest in seeing Lou in Washington. The assets it would take to get him far outweigh any benefit the team may gain by having him in net.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

my bad I just wanted people's opinion on whether they thought anything of the rumor... and what the feeling would be about him coming to Washington.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Lots of ways to skin the cat, and realize all the issues with this team.

Time for a new leader of the franchise, yes?

Or are you ok with keeping the same "lead thinker" in place? (not Ted, he's here for the duration, obviously).
Sure, but it's not gonna happen this year. Even if we miss the playoffs, it'll be the shortened season/new coach adjustment excuse.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
txpd

and now you know

Old
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Sure, but it's not gonna happen this year. Even if we miss the playoffs, it'll be the shortened season/new coach adjustment excuse.
Just reading your and Ridley's exchange. I agree with this and I have wanted GMGM gone for years, but I also think the shortened season/new coach excuse is real. Doesn't absolve Makfi is his decade+ of failure, but it does make me more patient with some of the talent on the ice and behind the bench.

What concerns me is that IF 8 and 9 and 19 and 52 and so on begin to find their games under Oates, I have no reason to believe that George can accurately identify and address the holes in the roster. We're right back to the agony of 2009 if we see our talent restored and yet know the team as a whole isn't good enough.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Just reading your and Ridley's exchange. I agree with this and I have wanted GMGM gone for years, but I also think the shortened season/new coach excuse is real. Doesn't absolve Makfi is his decade+ of failure, but it does make me more patient with some of the talent on the ice and behind the bench.

What concerns me is that IF 8 and 9 and 19 and 52 and so on begin to find their games under Oates, I have no reason to believe that George can accurately identify and address the holes in the roster. We're right back to the agony of 2009 if we see our talent restored and yet know the team as a whole isn't good enough.
I do think our 2009 team was good enough, we just got incredibly unlucky.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
and now you know

Old
01-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
I do think our 2009 team was good enough, we just got incredibly unlucky.
This over and over again.

I do think that the team can become talented again under the approach Oates is trying to take. We just need to be patient as Caps fans. With all of the reports coming out from other players talking about the system and saying that it won't be a week or a quick thing to have the players get it. Its tough to be patient with a team that should be competing for the Cup every year though, with the likes of 8, 19, 52 and so on

Old
01-29-2013, 02:27 PM
HTFN

Edit:

Old
01-29-2013, 02:36 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well I'm sure when Oates was hired some of that was how he wanted to play and that style combined with McPhee's team was part of a long term plan. Does it really make sense to ditch that because of the lockout, next to no training camp, and no preseason?

Basically do you change all of your plans because the season is now 48 games instead of 82? Not IMO anyway...
I think we will have our answer in the next 15 games or so. I tend to agree with you since I have long felt overnight success on coaching changes seem common, albeit usually shorter term.

But this team has issues, Ovi Green and Nick well off their highs, Semin out, young Gs, no replacement for Nick, 3 coaches in a year.... Ovi wants to change positions... now he is back left, in a hopeful win now move.

Its hard to know the master plan, but was George looking for a cup this year? He backed off the spending to the limit.

Even some here have said it, if there is a year to tank, this is it.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
He played shockingly good defense his rookie year. I thought he was our best pker. He looks completely lost off the puck today.
Growing pains. Doesn't help that he has had 3 different coaches with 3 different systems and has had a change in position either.

Again...young player..there will be ups and downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Except this was being talked about last season by quite a few of us who weren't into staturbating.

Better yet: Instead of defaulting to stats, what exactly is it about his on-ice play the last season that says to you, Marcus Johansson is developing into the potential that you expect him to fulfill?
I missed those conversations then.

He is a smart kid with great skating ability that needs to add about 10-15lbs and work on his faceoffs.

I thought he made good strides last year for sure despite the massive struggles of the team overall.

Closed Thread