HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 02:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
The top of this draft does look really good for out organizational needs of center and defense.

In THN's mid-season rankings, only one of the top 8 (Drouin) isn't a C or D.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
This over and over again.

I do think that the team can become talented again under the approach Oates is trying to take. We just need to be patient as Caps fans. With all of the reports coming out from other players talking about the system and saying that it won't be a week or a quick thing to have the players get it. Its tough to be patient with a team that should be competing for the Cup every year though, with the likes of 8, 19, 52 and so on
You may well both be right about '09. I guess that's why it stands above all others as the worst of so many Caps disappointments.

I mostly agree with your take. I have a good feeling about Oates as coach. I just wish I had confidence in our management.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

UGH!

Old
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think we will have our answer in the next 15 games or so. I tend to agree with you since I have long felt overnight success on coaching changes seem common, albeit usually shorter term.

But this team has issues, Ovi Green and Nick well off their highs, Semin out, young Gs, no replacement for Nick, 3 coaches in a year.... Ovi wants to change positions... now he is back left, in a hopeful win now move.

Its hard to know the master plan, but was George looking for a cup this year? He backed off the spending to the limit.

Even some here have said it, if there is a year to tank, this is it.
To that end, a good read from ESPN *gasp!* of all places. You need to be an insider--

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...13-draft-class

Basically, it highlights the ability to land another generational talent, and it remarks that some GOOD teams wont make the playoffs (we are of course mentioned as one of those possible teams).

If this all happens, I really hope Ted has the gumption (Balls) to hire a new GM and go with a new constant vision. The Caps have so many great pieces, its a total shame that they also dont have a great team. We need a new GM that can turn all of these pieces into that team. A LA Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles, etc for the past few years. Their GM's made the right moves to get them their Cup.

Its the Caps turn!

Old
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I love HF...where fans would rather see a team tank and draft a guy that may never even make the NHL as a player much less an impact player.

How sad....

Get a GM that knows how to craft a TEAM with chemistry and toughness....that would be a start in the right direction.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I love HF...where fans would rather see a team tank and draft a guy that may never even make the NHL as a player much less an impact player.

How sad....
LOL. I assume you are pointing that comment at me? Perhaps you should read the entirety of my post, and the discussion surrounding this years team, and the GM.

The team is flawed.

Why dont you add something to the commentary, instead of sitting on the sidelines taking potshots at people?

Or is that too hard

EDIT-- Ah, I see you changed your post. Good idea (on both counts...in changing your post, and with your suggestion)

Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
LOL. I assume you are pointing that comment at me? Perhaps you should read the entirety of my post, and the discussion surrounding this years team, and the GM.

The team is flawed.

Why dont you add something to the commentary, instead of sitting on the sidelines taking potshots at people?

Or is that too hard

EDIT-- Ah, I see you changed your post. Good idea (on both counts...in changing your post, and with your suggestion)
Nah just a general comment about things I've been seeing for year. Wasn't singling anyone out.

But hey, keep trying to drag this into a pissing contest. I'm above that these days, no time for it. And often times I will make a post, then go back and add more. As for suggestions, I've been clamoring for a GM change for years now. Start there or the rest is a complete waste of time.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Nah just a general comment about things I've been seeing for year. Wasn't singling anyone out.

But hey, keep trying to drag this into a pissing contest. I'm above that these days, no time for it. And often times I will make a post, then go back and add more. As for suggestions, I've been clamoring for a GM change for years now. Start there or the rest is a complete waste of time.
Trying to prevent the pissing contest, thank you very much.

Glad to see you agree.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:59 PM
maybam

The caps should obviously get rid of more of their top five scorers from last year....within the first 5 games of the season.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
HTFN

I don't want the Capitals to lose, but if they do, I want it to be bad enough for Barkov. I just think that having that kind of center would be perfect behind Backstrom going forward, maybe being better if Backstrom doesn't maintain his form in the coming years. So, so impressive. He's just ridiculous.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I don't want the Capitals to lose, but if they do, I want it to be bad enough for Barkov. I just think that having that kind of center would be perfect behind Backstrom going forward, maybe being better if Backstrom doesn't maintain his form in the coming years. So, so impressive. He's just ridiculous.
Big fan of Barkov as well. Supposedly an ace on draws, in addition to his other attributes.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

So who should the Caps hire for GM?

Inb4 someone suggests some GM that got a lot of top 10 picks and has maybe 1 player to show for it.

Also, call me Barkov fan too. I think his floor is right about around Kopitar, their skating is comparable, mediocre-average, but people theorize that with Barkov its could be because he is still growing. I really don't think a center has to be an absolutely amazing skater. Thornton and Kopitar are both quite average and not very fast.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:07 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
So who should the Caps hire for GM?

Inb4 someone suggests some GM that got a lot of top 10 picks and has maybe 1 player to show for it.

Also, call me Barkov fan too. I think his floor is right about around Kopitar, their skating is comparable, mediocre-average, but people theorize that with Barkov its could be because he is still growing. I really don't think a center has to be an absolutely amazing skater. Thornton and Kopitar are both quite average and not very fast.
Ribiero is no stunner either. I think his skating can top out at just a little above average, but he's got the IQ, the instincts, the hands, size, just about everything else, there's the "build down the middle" guy to round out the next young group (Barkov behind Backstrom, Forsberg to Ovechkin (presumably), Kuznetsov wherever).

Old
01-29-2013, 07:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For a replacement GM, Jim Nill or Paul Fenton.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
n3ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
For a replacement GM, Jim Nill or Paul Fenton.
Try again. Neither of those guys played for Washington.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Langway
Death/Taxes/Choking

vCash: 50
Dick Patrick is very familiar with Craig Button I'd think so that would be my guess were a GM change be needed at some point. Regardless of merit I'm not sure that time comes any time soon.

The mix up front just isn't very good at all and the wide variation in playing styles doesn't help either. Hard to see this team being among the top eight in the East without more punch up front from the supposed heavy lifters or goaltending solidifying.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Dick Patrick is very familiar with Craig Button I'd think so that would be my guess were a GM change be needed at some point. Regardless of merit I'm not sure that time comes any time soon.

The mix up front just isn't very good at all and the wide variation in playing styles doesn't help either. Hard to see this team being among the top eight in the East without more punch up front from the supposed heavy lifters or goaltending solidifying.
Might be that Dick Patrick is the start of the problem.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:17 AM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Big fan of Barkov as well. Supposedly an ace on draws, in addition to his other attributes.
Lindholm is a nice alternative if we can't land Barkov. Either one of Mackinnon, Barkov or Lindholm would be great.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:25 AM
discobob

I'm torn on Johansson...I think there is potential there to be a solid #2C, but he has to get ice time with solid partners to develop into that role. Right now the team is reeling and can't afford to play him in the top 6. This team has two solid wing prospects in the pipeline (Kuz and Forsberg) but still doesn't have a #2C (Riberio has been nice, but Kuz isn't coming until 2014 when he will be 35).

If things don't take a major turn for the better...I'd probably try to trade some of our expendable parts for futures and draft picks....Johansson, Perreault, Hamrlik, Shultz...

At some point, I would prefer the team to tank at get a blue chip C prospect. It would help the team in the long run, especially now that OV appears to be nothing more than an above average wing...

OV-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Forsberg-*Barkov*-Wilson

Looks like a really solid top 6, assuming the new comer can live up to his potential

Old
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
EvoLu7ioN

The Caps are wasting prime years of their superstar players. Time to make a big move.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-braden-holtby

Old
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
I think his floor is right about around Kopitar, their skating is comparable, mediocre-average, but people theorize that with Barkov its could be because he is still growing. I really don't think a center has to be an absolutely amazing skater. Thornton and Kopitar are both quite average and not very fast.
Barkov's floor is an all-star center? What the **** is his ceiling, some sort of like Gretzky-Sawchuk hybrid?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

They need to straighten out the PK. I still can't believe it went from being one of the best units in the playoffs to pathetic. All of those guys are still on the roster although Laich is hurt. I'd work on the PK before I'd spend oodles for a goalie that has reputation as a playoff choker. Would seem to defeat the purpose.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
They need to straighten out the PK. I still can't believe it went from being one of the best units in the playoffs to pathetic. All of those guys are still on the roster although Laich is hurt. I'd work on the PK before I'd spend oodles for a goalie that has reputation as a playoff choker. Would seem to defeat the purpose.

You can't believe that going from a system where you put all of your players in front of the net and tell them to not move to a "system" where the defensemen use Apple Maps to find players entering the zone and there's a drastic change in effectiveness?

#HunterHockey applied zero pressure to the points and allowed Chara to tee up slap shots about 15 times a game and we got lucky enough to get a body in front of it essentially every time.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
You can't believe that going from a system where you put all of your players in front of the net and tell them to not move to a "system" where the defensemen use Apple Maps to find players entering the zone and there's a drastic change in effectiveness?

#HunterHockey applied zero pressure to the points and allowed Chara to tee up slap shots about 15 times a game and we got lucky enough to get a body in front of it essentially every time.
You're right. But #hunterhockey worked and it's one thing they could have kept in tact through a transition. It's cost a lot of games to date. They definitely collapsed the box and left the points open. And it worked. Now I see rifle shots from soft spots and pretty passes through the seams. Oates has definitely but his name on a lousy PK.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Our top two PKing forwards in terms of TOI/g last year were Laich and Halpern, and neither's here now, so that's probably a factor. I agree about going back to the Hunter PK though. Passive seems to be the way to go these days, I think because improved equipment makes shot blocking a lot less painful. If you can keep a PP taking shots like the one Gonchar scored on and hoping they find their way through the crowd, you'll be successful more often than not.

Closed Thread