HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 01:28 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I'm not surprised either. He's one have the worst English speakers on this forum.
Fixed that for you, brah.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Loktionov wants out of LA. I think with our "Throw everything and see what sticks" strategy he could work out. Low-risk, high-reward. Waive Fehr?

Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
IkeaMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You do realize Barkov doesn't even turn 18 till September? He's already nearly a PPG player in SM-Liiga, which is defensive and physical.
This analysis seems accurate then. I mean, Kopitar averaged less than .5 PPG in the SEL...so, playing the law of averages...Barkov will be at least twice the player Kopitar is. I can't wait until he starts winning Richards and Vezinas.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:58 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Loktionov wants out of LA. I think with our "Throw everything and see what sticks" strategy he could work out. Low-risk, high-reward. Waive Fehr?
Loktionov couldn't even score goals at the AHL level. No reason to waste a contract slot on him. And I'd assume the Caps will waive Fehr anyway when Laich and Orlov are both back.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
sunnydaycrash

Hypothetical .....but some Flyers fan offered Brayden and Luke Schenn, Voracek, 2013 2nd rd pick for Ovi, Orlov and the Caps eat 1.5 of Ovi's salary.

Take out the salary absorption and its not a bad deal. Don't get me wrong, I still think Ovi will turn it around, but it's got to be a tough spot for a GM to discern when to bail on that contract.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think it's a terrible deal.

Bad Ovie is still a 30-60 player with a physical element that draws the top defensive matchups. Voracek's never reached 20 goals, Luke is a no offense #4, and Brayden's still a prospect.

It's a bad deal without the caps adding Orlov or eating salary, IMO.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Hypothetical .....but some Flyers fan offered Brayden and Luke Schenn, Voracek, 2013 2nd rd pick for Ovi, Orlov and the Caps eat 1.5 of Ovi's salary.

Take out the salary absorption and its not a bad deal. Don't get me wrong, I still think Ovi will turn it around, but it's got to be a tough spot for a GM to discern when to bail on that contract.
Just a side note, but it's easy for us Keyboard GMs to throw these names around, but if indeed the Caps moved Ovechkin, one would have to think of the impact that would have on Kuznetsov's decision to come over here.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post

Orlov is treated as a throw-in, yet there's a reasonable chance he becomes better or close to as good as any player the Flyers are offering.

Also Ovechkin on the Flyers is a 90-100 point player and as much as people like to be in denial about his playoff abilities, he still has them.

And we lose 1.5 million cap space for god knows how many years.

This is the kind of deal you do once you decide that Ovechkin absolutely must go for anything and not one team in the Western Conference wants him.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Unless Giroux's part of the return, there's no way I'd trade Ovie to the Flyers. Just too painful.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Brayden Schenn is a terrible hockey player dumber than a sack of potatoes. No way would I want to trade for him unless even worse players like Marcus Johansson and/or Jeff Schultz is going the other.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
sunnydaycrash

This whole Ovi thing is driving me nuts, everyone's take on the flyers trade offer makes complete sense,.....one of those things where its damned if you do and possibly damned if you don't.

He looks so bloody miserable out there and aside from his lack of production, not just points, but not shooting anywhere near what he has, and no longer hitting....he's the Caps captain. Something has to give and I just hope it's not too late either way.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:46 PM
tycoonheart

Its not that he isn't trying. He's trying, but his heart isn't there. He tried to make a couple of hits last game. And they were sooooo half-assed. His heart just isn't there... yet.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Dr John Carlson
Light is all over us

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Just a side note, but it's easy for us Keyboard GMs to throw these names around, but if indeed the Caps moved Ovechkin, one would have to think of the impact that would have on Kuznetsov's decision to come over here.
I've thought this for a while as well. Suppose that Flyers deal actually happens, there is no way Kuznetsov comes over to a team without any Russians.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
hb11xchamps

So I've notice Adams Oates system has sucked so far this year. I warned everyone in the Bears thread about him. Didn't like his style one bit when he was in Hershey and the Bears sucked when he was head coach and now the Caps are playing like garbage. McPhee let the real coaches go in John Cooper and Dallas Eakins and hired another stupid Caps alumni. Coopers Syracuse team 2 points out of first place in the Eastern Conference. Still can't believe he didn't get an NHL deal after going on a 25 game win streak last year

Old
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Halpysback*

I don't see the hatred on Schenn. Yeah his hockey IQ isn't gonna set the world on fire but at the end of the day it's just one tool a player has at his disposal. He can probably become a more physical Jarrett Stoll who hits everything that moves and I'd welcome that as our 3C.

Hartnell, Briere and Leino may have had one brain cell amongst them yet there they were.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
So I've notice Adams Oates system has sucked so far this year. I warned everyone in the Bears thread about him. Didn't like his style one bit when he was in Hershey and the Bears sucked when he was head coach and now the Caps are playing like garbage. McPhee let the real coaches go in John Cooper and Dallas Eakins and hired another stupid Caps alumni. Coopers Syracuse team 2 points out of first place in the Eastern Conference. Still can't believe he didn't get an NHL deal after going on a 25 game win streak last year
If Oates doesn't work out, then McPhee is headed out as well.
His coaching hires have been abysmal.....BB was only supposed to be temporary, the fact he did as well as he did had nothing to do with McPhee.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
So I've notice Adams Oates system has sucked so far this year. I warned everyone in the Bears thread about him. Didn't like his style one bit when he was in Hershey and the Bears sucked when he was head coach and now the Caps are playing like garbage.
It's way too soon to say the system itself sucks. That's pretty much a cop-out IMO. It's looked decent in stretches over the past three games, particularly in the second period vs. Ottawa. It was as territorially dominant a period as they've had in a long time. More problematic is the MIA high-end performances, the thin top six and a spotty overall work rate. The Johansson hire and the PK deserves scrutiny but the system itself doesn't seem like an issue thus far. Time will tell if he's a good enough motivator and adjuster but their systems execution already seems beyond where Hershey was early on. They're not nearly as sloppy through the neutral zone in comparison. Both teams could stand to be faster or at least crisper.

Last edited by Langway: 01-31-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

I thought the system looked fantastic for two periods last game. They were playing it perfect.

The Oates hate is interesting. Go figure...

Old
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

What, nobody's excited about the Casey Wellman acquisition?

Old
01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What, nobody's excited about the Casey Wellman acquisition?
I really don't understand this trade at all from Hershey or Washington's perspective. Hamill has been very good and one of the few bright spots in Hershey this year. I know his vet status didn't help, but the vet shipped out should have been Garret "Play for Paycheck" Stafford. Not happy with this

Old
01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
HTFN

So I guess I'm the minority in hoping Oates gets at least another full season. I've actually loved his system in spite of the players playing in it, for the most part, and I think the ways he wants to coach are interesting, and deserve a shot. Let's stop pretending this team is still just outside of Cup reach, let Oates get some time, work with everyone, get an offseason where he can hopefully get on page with GMGM about the future of the team, etc.

One thing it seems like you don't do is continue with the carousel. How are they supposed to ever look any better if they're still just as confused as the year prior? Establish the identity first, let Oates be what he wants to be, and then allow him at least the year to figure things out, both for his team and himself as a coach.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

The problems with this team aren't Oates's doing. They are personnel issues -- all on GMGM and on the star players who are not performing -- and then somewhat the lack of a real training camp and preseason in light of the new coach and system. I like what I've seen of Oates and his system but our lineup is weak and they haven't had much time to learn.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Liberati0n*

Getting out from under the whole Ovechkin situation would really help, I think. It's almost like a coach who's lost the team. While that coach may still have the potential to be a good coach, the situation is too much of a mess to be salvaged. Boudreau could have been a good long-term coach for the Capitals, but he had lost the team and trying to force a reversal of that situation would have probably made things even worse. Ovechkin's time with the Capitals has just run out in a lot of ways. Maybe he can be great again, but it's going to take time and the situation he and the team are in now is costing both parties.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

glad to see GMGM working hard on AHL trades

Old
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
glad to see GMGM working hard on AHL trades
Well, obviously we've acquired the scoring winger we needed to get during the off season... Oh, wait, we got another career minor leaguer in exchange for another career minor leaguer.
Maybe it'll pay off like the Bouchard for Kundratek trade!!!

Closed Thread