HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You do realize Barkov doesn't even turn 18 till September? He's already nearly a PPG player in SM-Liiga, which is defensive and physical.
I don't care how well he is doing that doesn't mean he is a lock to be at worst a very good NHL player. If Kopitar is his floor what is his ceiling, Lemieux?

Eric friggin' Perrin finished 2nd in league scoring last year in Finland. Ville Nieminen, a marginal NHL player in his day, is leading Barkov's team in scoring.

Barkov is a blue chip prospect without a doubt. I'd be thrilled if the Caps were able to get him. But he is no lock to be at least as good an NHLer as Kopitar.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Ovechkin has want, now needs wins

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/89...win-figure-out

Old
01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
So he's not lazy, just stupid? Sorry to be abrasive but there's really nothing to say about this except he's underperforming and whatever the reason, he needs to be better. I don't know if I buy that he's taken 2+ years to try to figure out new ways to beat the D.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So he's not lazy, just stupid? Sorry to be abrasive but there's really nothing to say about this except he's underperforming and whatever the reason, he needs to be better. I don't know if I buy that he's taken 2+ years to try to figure out new ways to beat the D.
I think it's more that he's too polite to say "don't put me with Beagle and Crabb if you want me to put up points you ****ing morons"

Old
01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Interesting, pretty much backs what I was saying.

Ovechkin is becoming mature. Whether it's intentional or spontaneous (product of nearing his 30s/getting married/mountains of criticism over the years), he's on board with it. This means he's no longer gonna be hyper. Mature people don't act hyper, they shave every morning and go to art gallerias and poignantly lament the foolishness of youth and do other lame **** like that. Hyper Ovechkin scores on that last chance and probably turns the double bagel into a highlight reel goal for the ages. Mature Ovechkin has too much stuff on his mind to do that. He tries every bit as hard but his hand quivers with the conceited rejection of his id under the umbrage of his percolating diffidence.

If he's not hypnotized into becoming hyper again he's pretty much gonna be a PP artillery piece. I wouldn't hold my breath Mafacee and Leonsis having figured this out. They're too busy networking each other's klout scores.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
What, nobody's excited about the Casey Wellman acquisition?
Wellman is a poor mans Marcus Johansson. Fast enough to score at lower levels but not talent enough and way too soft at the NHL level while lacking the hockey IQ to compensate for it.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I think it's more that he's too polite to say "don't put me with Beagle and Crabb if you want me to put up points you ****ing morons"
He was put with those guys after dragging his previous line down.

Wow is everyone in that article deluded. So Ovechkin is more mature. He "cares". Unfortunately the game has changed. What a load of ********* coming from ol " fog on the runway" George. So players like Mike Ribeiro Patrick Marleau and Nail Yakupov are somehow better suited to this new defensive hockey than Alex Ovechkin? Get the **** out of here.

Old
02-01-2013, 06:53 AM
bgroban

Here is my bold prediction:

*We have a new GM within a couple months.
*Oates keeps his job at least through the remainder of the season.
*Green, Laich, and Shultz are not on the roster next season.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post

Yes please!

Old
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He wasn't lighting the lamp with NB either, whats your point?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post

What has Ovi, NB and MJ done to stay on the roster? Get alot more for Ovi then you would for any others. Face of the team or not, not producing for 2 years, no hall pass here. Move on.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
What has Ovi, NB and MJ done to stay on the roster? Get alot more for Ovi then you would for any others. Face of the team or not, not producing for 2 years, no hall pass here. Move on.
I don't agree with you much but I do here, minus Johansson as IMO it is too early to judge what kind of player he will be in the end. Ovechkin and Backstrom are the stars of the team and they are not anywhere close to playing at even an average level for them.

I'm fine with the idea that it is up to the coach and GM to put stars in the right situations and to surround them with the right players to get the very most out of the player but when the player is simply playing poorly that is on the player.

Those two are a combined $16.2+ mil cap hit anchor on this team at the moment and no team is going to succeed when those are your stars.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Ridley Simon

1-5-1

Wow. I was very worried about how this team was going to start. "Cohesion" has been my theme to this short season, and unfortunately, the Caps have none of it.

They have "looked" a lot better the last 4 games vs the first 3, but do not have a lot of points to show for it. Honest question....are they too far in the hole to come out of it?

I think "yes". I'd see a .500 record for the next 10 games as likely, so 17-20 games in I predict we will still be 2-3 games under .500 overall. That will most likely lead to missing the playoffs...and?

I like Oates. He is not the problem. The team as constructed is a mirror of the GM. No depth, no plan, no chance.

But, I am SURE Ted will give George another chance with a full run in fall 2013. If he hasnt canned Grunfeld, he wont can McPhee.

Sorry everyone, we are stuck with this for at least another year. This is our team, and we will probably lose a few parts along the way too (Ribeiro, Hamrlik, Erskine, Poti, Wolski...just to name a few). So imagine this team without them as well. Scary stuff

Old
02-01-2013, 09:55 AM
txpd

doom....depression....gloom. why watch? why torture yourself?

me? the racing travel season starts next week and i start missing a lot of games starting on friday.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
tycoonheart

We watch because we're a fan of the team. Win or lose, I'll watch the team.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:01 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Wow. I was very worried about how this team was going to start. "Cohesion" has been my theme to this short season, and unfortunately, the Caps have none of it.

They have "looked" a lot better the last 4 games vs the first 3, but do not have a lot of points to show for it. Honest question....are they too far in the hole to come out of it?

I think "yes". I'd see a .500 record for the next 10 games as likely, so 17-20 games in I predict we will still be 2-3 games under .500 overall. That will most likely lead to missing the playoffs...and?

I like Oates. He is not the problem. The team as constructed is a mirror of the GM. No depth, no plan, no chance.

But, I am SURE Ted will give George another chance with a full run in fall 2013. If he hasnt canned Grunfeld, he wont can McPhee.

Sorry everyone, we are stuck with this for at least another year. This is our team, and we will probably lose a few parts along the way too (Ribeiro, Hamrlik, Erskine, Poti, Wolski...just to name a few). So imagine this team without them as well. Scary stuff
McPhee has got to go, ......if Oates is let go and GMGM keeps his job, that would be 4 coaches in 20 months.....with the same GM !.....that's borderline psychotic

Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

me? the racing travel season starts next week and i start missing a lot of games starting on friday.
That's too bad.....whether live or recorded, I'd be a little peeved if I couldn't watch the Caps

Old
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Torture

You say the same thing every year. Yet in every sport, there is only one winner, yet sports survive.

We watch for entertainment. The internet has just giving us a place to talk with like minded sports obsessed folk. It's not that big a deal.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
bgroban

Ted is all about image. A strong, positive image fills his pockets. He knows the backlash is getting stronger. Too early to call this season a failure and not turn it around. If, by 25-30 games in, the Caps have dug themselves into a super deep hole, I expect Ted to make a GM change. Would not surprise me if he has already begun the search.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Torture

You say the same thing every year. Yet in every sport, there is only one winner, yet sports survive.

We watch for entertainment. The internet has just giving us a place to talk about with like minded sports obsessed folk. It's not that big a deal.
Tex is being sarcastic towards our stating our frustrations. While I do understand his point to some degree, he is missing the bigger picture that *THAT* is what sports fans do.

We hem, we haw, we grouse. All about the team we love that doesnt meet expectations. We throw out ideas as to why (some ludicrous, others sublime) and debate it.

Fans have been doing it for 100 years. Used to be in the school recess areas, the barber shop, the fraternity basement over a keg, what have you..... now its all those places, PLUS the internet! Just gives those of us that don't live in DC a place to ***** and moan about our team, as we dont have many other like minded fans where we live (Find many Caps fans in CA Bay Area...not too many).

Anyway, let Tex grouse about this, its his way to telling us to chill. Even if he doesnt get our reasons behind the discussions.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Old
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
A caption would be nice...

"Duuuuuh...I don't know why this team is falling apart".....

Old
02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
I took on all comers with these hands, including one Timo Blomqvist.

Keep calling for my job and you are next, biotch.

Quote:
Pretty long battle. McPhee throws with both hands and he got couple good ones in. Blomqvist has quite impressive fight card as a european player and he does nice job in this battle too.

http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/Fig...=3050&League=1

Old
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
calicapsfan
NFA

One random observation: the constant shuffling of lines is a bad move by Oates. The guys are learning a new system on the fly which is hard enough, but they also are not getting a chance to develop or renew chemistry. In fact, the best lines gave been the ones that have more or less stayed together game in and game out. I recall a few years ago that Knuble had to beg BB to stop switching up the lines so they had time to get to know one another. I think the same is needed here. Generally, I do not fault Oates at all for this mess, but I do think the line shuffling is making a bad situation worse.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He was put with those guys after dragging his previous line down.

Wow is everyone in that article deluded. So Ovechkin is more mature. He "cares". Unfortunately the game has changed. What a load of ********* coming from ol " fog on the runway" George. So players like Mike Ribeiro Patrick Marleau and Nail Yakupov are somehow better suited to this new defensive hockey than Alex Ovechkin? Get the **** out of here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
He wasn't lighting the lamp with NB either, whats your point?
...after two
whole
games.

Does no one else really see a problem with putting Ovechkin with BEAGLE and CRABB after TWO WHOLE GAMES? Maybe either try him with Ribeiro and Ward or give him a few more games to work it out? Oh, but that would be actual coaching and not giving Ovechkin what's coming to him. We can't have that. No siree bob.

NB isn't lighting the lamp himself, why don't we put him with our two worst offensive players? Surely that's bound to help, how could it not! If you understood the game you'd be in it!

If that's the leash Ovechkin is gonna get might as well trade him now.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 02-01-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Closed Thread