HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

vCash: 500
Everyone has to stop complaining about line shuffling. Happened with Bruce, happened with Hunter, happens all around the NHL.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Everyday I'm shufflin.

I'll see myself out. Thanks.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
IkeaMonkey*

BCF can't support a team led by AHL level goaltenders.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm warming up to the idea of tanking but it'll pretty much kill a Ribeiro extension, no?

Also if the plan was to tank, why acquire a good player in the first place? We could probably suck more efficiently without him.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm warming up to the idea of tanking but it'll pretty much kill a Ribeiro extension, no?

Also if the plan was to tank, why acquire a good player in the first place? We could probably suck more efficiently without him.
They could always try to pull what the O's did with Bordick, and trade him with the understanding that they'd offer him a FA contract.

Risky, though, for someone who's only played here for a couple weeks.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

Tank and thy may have lost Eakin for nothing.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Tank and thy may have lost Eakin for nothing.
Nah, it's clearly an elaborate ploy to raise Joel Ward's trade value and then ship him away. McPhee is one step ahead of all of us.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
They could always try to pull what the O's did with Bordick, and trade him with the understanding that they'd offer him a FA contract.

Risky, though, for someone who's only played here for a couple weeks.
It's just frustrating because Ribeiro looks like the best player we've had in a couple years. He could be a medium to long term solution to our secondary scoring. Or I guess he could flame out like every other Cap on a long term deal

Old
02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
It's just frustrating because Ribeiro looks like the best player we've had in a couple years. He could be a medium to long term solution to our secondary scoring. Or I guess he could flame out like every other Cap on a long term deal
I don't disagree, though his track record is such that I don't see a flame out at all.

Give him a two year extension and I'm happy.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:04 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I second this. At this point I want a full tank... draft a stud, re-up Ribeiro, bring at least Forsberg and hopefully Kuz over and go from there.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I don't disagree, though his track record is such that I don't see a flame out at all.

Give him a two year extension and I'm happy.
I said in another thread (or was it this one?). 4years at 6m per. If we can get less, then gravy.

Maybe 2 years ay 6m per. 4 years at 5m per, 6m/6m/4m/4m

Old
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I said in another thread (or was it this one?). 4years at 6m per. If we can get less, then gravy.

And Joel Ward should contribute at least $1.5 of that per year.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

4 years takes him to 37. A bit to old for that type of player, IMO.

Shorter term would also keep him hungrier.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I don't envision Ribeiro accepting less than 3 years, and even that is pushing it. I think four gets the job done.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
4 years takes him to 37. A bit to old for that type of player, IMO.

Shorter term would also keep him hungrier.
yeah-- but the way he plays isnt reliant on speed or size. So I think unless he gets hurt, the age wont matter to him as it might to another player.

That said, I understand. But I wouldnt want to lose him over it.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
yeah-- but the way he plays isnt reliant on speed or size. So I think unless he gets hurt, the age wont matter to him as it might to another player.

That said, I understand. But I wouldnt want to lose him over it.
I worry about his quickness, which he uses frequently, declining with age.

Not sure if I'd do 4 years if that's what it took to get it done. There's a positive argument to be made, from a team building standpoint, for stability. But there's also the negative argument to be made that too many long term contracts makes the team stale (that could be a contributor to the struggles we're seeing now).

Old
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:

I'd rather make a longer term play for Weiss. A 7 year contract would keep him here through his prime and he fits better as the C behind Backstrom than Ribeiro. If we're keeping Ovechkin he seems like a guy who'd work really well with him as well.

Shed all the bloated salary of our bottom 6/bottom 2 players, tank, nail the UFA class and come in roaring next season. That's what I'd do.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I'd rather make a longer term play for Weiss. A 7 year contract would keep him here through his prime and he fits better as the C behind Backstrom than Ribeiro. If we're keeping Ovechkin he seems like a guy who'd work really well with him as well.

Shed all the bloated salary of our bottom 6/bottom 2 players, tank, nail the UFA class and come in roaring next season. That's what I'd do.
I'm normally very optimistic about our odds of signing players. And crap teams do get good ufas from time to time. But the situation in Washington looks nuclear. I don't see any good players signing here if things don't turn around.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I worry about his quickness, which he uses frequently, declining with age.

Not sure if I'd do 4 years if that's what it took to get it done. There's a positive argument to be made, from a team building standpoint, for stability. But there's also the negative argument to be made that too many long term contracts makes the team stale (that could be a contributor to the struggles we're seeing now).
We've seen significant roster turnover. The locker room should be anything but "stale." Just look at the current line-up.

Ovechkin - Beagle** - Crabb*
Chimera - Ribeiro* - Ward**
Wolski* - Backstrom - Brouwer**
Hendricks - Johansson - Fehr***
Perreault

Alzner - Green
Erskine - Carlson
Schultz - Kundratek**
Poti***, Hamrlik**

*First year with team
**Second year with team
***Return to team after time away

Granted, some of these newer guys are the ones who are actually playing well (Ribs, Ward, Brouwer). But nearly half of the team has joined within the last two years.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Everyone has to stop complaining about line shuffling. Happened with Bruce, happened with Hunter, happens all around the NHL.
Yes, but the combination of issues is the point. Some stability, some time to figure out the new system without also having to learn new linemates is the in order. You shuffle lines once everyone knows what to do regardless of their line.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:44 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
I'm normally very optimistic about our odds of signing players. And crap teams do get good ufas from time to time. But the situation in Washington looks nuclear. I don't see any good players signing here if things don't turn around.
If we can sell them on having a good core and having tons of promise it's more than possible.

Flyers were worst in the league then brought in half of next year's UFA class. Burke got two fairly highly regarded players at the time in Komisarek and Beauchemin. Just show players what the lines would be and who the coach would be and I think it's doable.

Weiss alone might not entice him, but perhaps if he knows he's playing with Ovechkin and the 2nd line is strong enough to dominate on its own it would diffuse his concerns.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 02-02-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old
02-02-2013, 07:47 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If we can sell them on having a good core and having tons of promise it's more than possible.

Flyers were worst in the league then brought in half of next year's UFA class. Burke got two fairly highly regarded players at the time in Komisarek and Beauchemin. Just show players what the lines would be and who the coach would be and I think it's doable.

Weiss alone might not entice him, but perhaps if he knows he's playing with Ovechkin and the 2nd line is strong enough to dominate on its own it would diffuse his concerns.
well...the flyers were still the flyers and had one bad season.
burke is in toronto where half the league's players grew up and can play at home.
btw....komisarek and beauchemin are two good examples of why throwing around big ufa money is often very counter productive. the movement satisfies fans that demand to see changes and aggressive action. but if it goes wrong, your dead....still

Old
02-02-2013, 09:59 AM
CrashTheNet9

Can we please get someone who doesn't get battered everytime he drops the gloves? Poor Hendricks has to step up all the time because no one else will.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...the flyers were still the flyers and had one bad season.
burke is in toronto where half the league's players grew up and can play at home.
btw....komisarek and beauchemin are two good examples of why throwing around big ufa money is often very counter productive. the movement satisfies fans that demand to see changes and aggressive action. but if it goes wrong, your dead....still
Beauchemin was a solid player for them, got traded for one of the best returns in recent history and went on to play like a top pairing defenseman in Anaheim.

Komisarek busted but at the time everyone thought he was the next Adam Foote.

Toronto usually has a pretty hard time attracting good free agents as far as I recall. They have to overpay Blakes and whatnot.

You can find those kinds of excuses for any team. I was just trying to point out that a team finishing in the basement can in fact sign in demand UFAs and it happens fairly regularly.

Caps now and Flyers 2007 could be fairly comparable. We still have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson, Orlov. Except while JVR was a late arrival we'd have the top pick available next year, as well as Forsberg.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
allyourfault

Hamrlik trade rumors

Iv read around the site in a few threads that Hamrlik is being shopped around league for a possible trade. makes sense as to why he has been a scratch its just a matter of time I suppose. Anyone have any insight on this? possible trade options and what not.

Closed Thread